POSTGAME: Rd 15 vs North Melbourne

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Kynan Brown (8) got 3 less fantasy points than Fritsch (11) on the back of 1 tackle and 1 possession.

Clarry got 26 points. Prior to this year he’d get 100 in his sleep.

Fair to say there’s some room for improvement with regards to some of our top end players.

Another week of Fritsch with less than 2 possessions to half time.

He's a liability they way he's playing. Zero pressure and absolutely lame attempts at tackling 

ALtho Petty had a better week we have been playing 3 men down with Petty Fritsch and Oliver for the past 5 or so weeks. No wonder we have been struggling .

• Like 4

23 hours ago, watchtheeyes said:

You’d be heartbroken but so enthusiastic if you were a north supporter.. so much to like in that 

23 hours ago, rufus said:

We are a diabolical football team. 15 scoring shots against a bunch of kids. Overrun by a team we have huge amounts of experience over.

This club is quickly sending us back to the depths.

Like it or not, it is very simple. We are the softest football club in the land. We have been for a long time. We had an aberration for about 15 months a few years ago but normal service is resumed...we are always gettable because we have soft players on every line, and as a club we've never demanded anything else.

Against a bunch of kids. ?? …our age profile tonight was exactly the same as North except they have heaps of top end young talent & effectively we were missing 2 top midfielders in Trac & Brayshaw ( I count Brayshaw as a miss because we lost him as the season started.) & also Lever who solidifies our backline. So …maybe have a good look at our team & realise how young it is . Not many teams would be running out with an 18yr old & 2 19yr olds’s  .., we are incredibly down on confidence but we are hanging in there. Tell me how many forward lines ..even half forward lines have one player over 24 yrs ??

4 hours ago, Demonsone said:

What ever Oliver issues were or still are which forced him to miss preseason, why was he not made to play @ Casey to build he’s fitness & form, in particular from a culture point of view

Clarry was displaying much better form earlier in the year than he is now. It wasnt at his previous levels, but he was positively influencing games. He’s struggling big time at the moment, to the point where his frustrations are negatively impacting the team. 

Even a Ferrari needs a tune-up every now and then, but with Trac sidelined for the rest of the year, he won’t be getting dropped or the much needed break he needs (not whilst we’re in finals contention anyways).

Some perspective. At round 15 we played 10 22 years old or under.

I have not not been surprised at all by our slump. We need all our guns available in top form. No need to say anything else about this.

North 8, GC 9, Dee's 10. At the lower end we have Cats 4, Blues, Swans, Don's, Lions and WCE 5.

North and GC have had heaps of early draft picks in recent years so access to silk.

Surprisingly our recruiters have done well. We will know how well in the next couple of years.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

35 minutes ago, manny100 said:

Some perspective. At round 15 we played 10 22 years old or under.

I have not not been surprised at all by our slump. We need all our guns available in top form. No need to say anything else about this.

North 8, GC 9, Dee's 10. At the lower end we have Cats 4, Blues, Swans, Don's, Lions and WCE 5.

North and GC have had heaps of early draft picks in recent years so access to silk.

Surprisingly our recruiters have done well. We will know how well in the next couple of years.

At the risk of being repetitive its not the young players that are causing our problems. Its our senior Premiership players like Petty, Fritsch and Oliver that haven't fired a shot all year.

• Like 3
  • Clap 3

Gee glad I didn't come on here today..

To see one of the better and solid contributors to DL get torn down for stating a perfectly valid opinion is embarrassing.

This is why so many including myself are limiting their time on here, it's really sad how many great posters aren't even on here anymore. 

It's not changing anytime soon so enjoy the toboggan ride. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Tracca said:

how would he know you are wcw? did he just ask a random person in dees gear?

I do tend to over-share info on here. 🤭

Last night’s interaction was unusual in that it wasn’t at a training session or a DA BBQ for example, which is where this happens a lot. Maybe he saw the #18 guernsey I was wearing, a pic of which I posted on here recently. 🤷‍♀️ You don’t see too many #18 guernseys.

One time at a Family Day at Gosch’s a Demonlander guessed I’m WCW because of my red and blue nail polish. He said I’d mentioned that on here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I do tend to over-share info on here. 🤭

Last night’s interaction was unusual in that it wasn’t at a training session or a DA BBQ for example, which is where this happens a lot. Maybe he saw the #18 guernsey I was wearing, a pic of which I posted on here recently. 🤷‍♀️ You don’t see too many #18 guernseys.

One time at a Family Day at Gosch’s a Demonlander guessed I’m WCW because of my red and blue nail polish. He said I’d mentioned that on here.

Sounds like a guy in the crowd at Jerry Seinfeld last night who saw him in Sydney and then bought a ticket to the Melb show just so he could ask him in front of 11,000 people if he could have the selfie he promised in Sydney. 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The Team is “no longer invested”

I think you are right, they are (mostly) playing as individuals. 

Why has this happened?….

I suspect a myriad of things but it shouldn’t matter. The one thing every player needs to bring every week is 100% commitment. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I suspect a myriad of things but it shouldn’t matter. The one thing every player needs to bring every week is 100% commitment. 

Yes of course, but it isn’t happening 

Not sure if anyone else noticed but Petty's first mark bought all the players to him. To my eye there is just something else going on with Harry at the moment. Maybe it is a personal issue that came to light in the Brisbane game or just really down on confidence but certainly his mates got around him at the time. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Longsufferingnomore said:

Not sure if anyone else noticed but Petty's first mark bought all the players to him. To my eye there is just something else going on with Harry at the moment. Maybe it is a personal issue that came to light in the Brisbane game or just really down on confidence but certainly his mates got around him at the time. 

Yes, we saw that too and commented on it.  It was remarkable for how significantly they celebrated it and him.  I'd love to see him get back his confidence and play good football again.  I think that would happen quickly if he returns to defensive duties. The poor fella seems really unhappy.  

Most Dees fans I've talked with over the past few weeks have the sense that things just aren't quite right at the club and with the team at the moment.  It's mystifying

I will take 4 points week in week out any time rather than a loss. I do not care who they are or their ladder position. Anyone, anywhere, any time.give me 4 points.

Move on to next week and build on a win.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hellfire Dub said:

Yes, we saw that too and commented on it.  It was remarkable for how significantly they celebrated it and him.  I'd love to see him get back his confidence and play good football again.  I think that would happen quickly if he returns to defensive duties. The poor fella seems really unhappy.  

Most Dees fans I've talked with over the past few weeks have the sense that things just aren't quite right at the club and with the team at the moment.  It's mystifying

Agree 

7 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Another week of Fritsch with less than 2 possessions to half time.

He's a liability they way he's playing. Zero pressure and absolutely lame attempts at tackling 

ALtho Petty had a better week we have been playing 3 men down with Petty Fritsch and Oliver for the past 5 or so weeks. No wonder we have been struggling .

Ross Lyon sorted out the Saints famously about 15 years ago. Just dropped some struggling stars and woa a huge lift in form permanently, 

Msybe this is necessary. Our Coach has never been good with Any thing resembling a Plan B or C. 

Fighting off a tag. Put the player where he has to play footy not the man In the goal square Have Clarry lead out from the square for a period. 2/3 goals will disrupt that scheme, where are the other players to help Clarry?? 

Gawny has the same problem at times. 
Put Fritta at half back for 10 mins. Change the thinking or on the ball. 

It’s all about making it not what your opponent is comfortable with. Change it up. 

One other thing Who/ What is our leadership group? Gawny JV and ??? 
About time there is a concerted effort to lead and lift our aspirations and performance and determination.  Our mojo is missing and there is something “ rotting in the state of Naarm”. It needs to be eradicated. Too many of our goods/ greats of 2021 are accepting mediocrity. This is no dynasty it’s becoming a travesty of large proportions growing by the Round. 
We are heading to the Lions Den and anything less than our very best will be punished on the scoreboard mercilessly. 

And I suspect that an urgent need for a change in coaching preparation and attitude is necessary. 
The players  are playing scared as if the world is on their shoulders/heads. They need the vision and fun back into their game. Enjoyment not just artificially manufactured but genuinely evident with tackling team ethos and togetherness. 

Then all the skills are naturally approached and enjoyed and can be lauded together. 

Goody has 9 rounds to provide an answer as do some players.

Some have gone from Champs to chumps letting their standards drop. Our toughness has disappeared also.

And an encouraging word from Lady Pres might be just what the doctor ordered.

Amazing but do you remember a certain ex Pres go IMO after that performance vs Port legitimately viral in 2020 and what happened a mere 15 months later.

Otherwise it will go viral somehow between now and next season if it’s not addressed both on and off the field. The AFLW are also on notice after their sudden demise from grace last season. Have they removed some irons from the closet. Let’s see also in 2024.

Sorry but at the moment we have a very similar vibe as before 2014 of no leadership and real unity plus the Spirit that has served is so well in recent times. 

I am open to opposing views of what’s wrong or what’s happening that has us in this trough of insignificance again.

It’s not the time to let things run under the carpet. Get to work Dees and all hands dirty from Board down. It’s what Great Clubs have to do now and again. Reinvent in the run.
But first you have to see the signs around you. And publicly they are ready to burst out any time if we keep going like now I feel. 

Go Dees. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Nascent said:

Please stick around luci, your input is always valued.

16 hours ago, Colm said:

Agreed. @Lucifers Hero has always been one of my favourite poster. 

9 hours ago, layzie said:

Gee glad I didn't come on here today..

To see one of the better and solid contributors to DL get torn down for stating a perfectly valid opinion is embarrassing.

This is why so many including myself are limiting their time on here, it's really sad how many great posters aren't even on here anymore. 

It's not changing anytime soon so enjoy the toboggan ride. 

Thanks guys (and all those that liked these posts); really appreciate the support. 

You have really moved me 🥹

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 11

22 hours ago, Die Hard Demon said:

It’s been creeping into a lot of players this very issue. Was as blatant as it gets, and might actually force the AFL to stop getting sucked in. Surprised Clarry didn’t get scolded for his stage aswell. Hate that our players feel they need to milk free kicks. Desperate times. 

They don't seem to be able to get them many other ways...

12 hours ago, redandbluemakepurple said:

Aaargghhh, I've seen worse.  47 points up, 6 minutes into the last quarter.  Lost by 1.  1991-ish

Essendon on ANZAC Day 1992? One of my earliest football memories. We kicked the first of the last. Essendon just went BANG BANG BANG x3 and won. 

• Angry 1

18 hours ago, Demonsone said:

So he’s gifted games cause he’s won B &F , Cleary not fit enough & out of form .. he’s no different to any other player.

He was also completely tagged by the same dude who didn't give Daicos a sniff until Clarkson removed him. The sudden Oliver tirades are hard to swallow.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, praha said:

Essendon on ANZAC Day 1992? One of my earliest football memories. We kicked the first of the last. Essendon just went BANG BANG BANG x3 and won. 

It was my birthday: I was a part-time taxi driver sitting on the Park Street Rank listening in the state of what the Greeks call 'unbilievit'.... 

I think the most pleasing thing is our side from the weekend was pretty young and we were still able to win.

Rivers - 22

Bowey - 21

McVee - 20

Windsor - 19

Tholstrup - 18

Pickett - 23

van Rooyen - 21

Howes - 21

Turner - 22

Brown - 19

Edited by DistrACTION Jackson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/06/2024 at 23:10, titan_uranus said:

There’s no good explanation for it. 

If our fitness program has us unable to run out a game in Round 15 off the bye against a side on a six day break, then it’s not a good program. 

I think the reference is to loading 

implication we used the bye to put some  hard work in on the track and are leg tired as a result 

• Like 1