Maynard unscathed

At the time I thought the Maynard bountygate talk was a bit much. I’m still of the same opinion that it wouldn’t have been right to go after Maynard but after a few days I can see why a thread like this was probably worth the discussion. 

I personally don’t think Maynard is a thug, I maintain that what he did was a football act that went horribly wrong. 

But this doesn’t mean that I excuse it.

If you choose to leap off the ground at a player and miss the ball it doesn’t exonerate you from all potential consequences that could happen next. The fact is that his action knocked a guy out and caused a retirement and he still needs to live with that fact. The wider public (and it only seems to come from fans outside of MFC) claiming that he had a history of concussion and should have been retired already completely miss the point on this.

I maintain that a bump or two and letting him know we were there and in his face was the way to go and it sounds like that is the general consensus here. There was no need to be chummy with him after the game, quick hand shake and off. 

Not cut and dry, plenty of grey areas. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

6 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Lol good one

LOL people who pretend to be supporters but don’t buy a membership 😂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sydee said:

LOL people who pretend to be supporters but don’t buy a membership 😂

You must be terribly omnipotent to be able to make these calls without knowing anything about someone - whether they live within 2000km of Melbourne, their financial position and so on. I don’t envy you - it must be a terrible burden carrying that knowledge and also odiousness

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 2

4 hours ago, Roost it far said:

When he stuck his hand out to Petracca, he should of been pushed over onto the ground, free kick to him at that point is really unlikely and who cares anyway. Our response to him was pathetic We have an ever so slightly soft underbelly and teams know it. 

I think as other posters have said that it was likely a coaches call.

After the Freo belting, a response was required and I reckon any distraction from winning was ruled out. 

5 hours ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

It was obviously a coaching directive to not go for him, thinking it may cause the players to lose focus.

I think it was the wrong call personally, as it would've been a way to get some emotion and energy up in the group.

Always easy to judge in hindsight, but it was a pretty limp performance from a physicality perspective.

Richardson said the opposite.

Said the Coaches wanted a bit of a statement and Leaders said no.

Max our Captain is not an aggressive type and Tracc isn’t either, actually shaking Maynard’s hand and patting his head before the game. Viney may have not got the chance and has a shoulder injury, so maybe wise not to further hurt that. For the rest, they didn’t bother.

I am sure Gus and his family would have been impressed, not!

The difference in attitude between the sides is apparent, when you look at how they gang tackled Langdon for a lighthearted comment and then the quotes of Maynard that he was surprised he didn’t get any treatment.

I don’t think anyone even tackled Maynard during the game. He certainly bumped a few of ours.

It appears our game attitude has taken a big hit.

• Like 7
  • Thinking 3

18 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Max our Captain is not an aggressive type and Tracc isn’t either, actually shaking Maynard’s hand and patting his head before the game. Viney may have not got the chance and has a shoulder injury, so maybe wise not to further hurt that. For the rest, they didn’t bother.

The difference in attitude between the sides is apparent, when you look at how they gang tackled Langdon for a lighthearted comment and then the quotes of Maynard that he was surprised he didn’t get any treatment.

I don’t think anyone even tackled Maynard during the game. He certainly bumped a few of ours.

Embarassing really.

Not Demons......   fuschias   :(

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

On 11/06/2024 at 08:06, Superunknown said:

That footage of may and Oliver shaking hands with him is a supporter killer for this supporter.

if the players don’t care why should we

i can think of better places to send my money - that image is a membership killer for me 

33 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

You must be terribly omnipotent to be able to make these calls without knowing anything about someone - whether they live within 2000km of Melbourne, their financial position and so on. I don’t envy you - it must be a terrible burden carrying that knowledge and also odiousness

Distance or financial circumstances are both understandable from my point of view, I just thought it was a bit rich to be  potting 2 players (one of whom is a 4x B&F winner) and stating they were the reason you weren’t going to be a member anymore.. when you’re not actually a member. 

Say you’re angry, say you’re disappointed - fine. But don’t pretend they killed your membership.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

I’ve lived overseas and still bought a membership - save your sanctimonious sermon for someone who cares 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sydee said:

I’ve lived overseas and still bought a membership - save your sanctimonious sermon for someone who cares 

That's a pretty good effort Sydee. Not sure I could do the same.         ( Mostly for financial reasons though I guess).

• Thanks 1

Seems no one’s stopped to consider the possibility that the Brayshaw family didn’t want Maynard targeted physically, and expressed as much to the Club. No, I’ve not heard this from anyone. I just tried to imagine how Gussy’s mum might be feeling and I think that were I in her position I wouldn’t want my son’s teammates to physically hurt the POS because he’s already living rent-free in everyone’s head and this just prolongs the whole sordid ordeal.

Maybe I’m so far off the mark it’s not funny. But maybe I’m not. 🤷‍♀️ 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Seems no one’s stopped to consider the possibility that the Brayshaw family didn’t want Maynard targeted physically, and expressed as much to the Club. No, I’ve not heard this from anyone. I just tried to imagine how Gussy’s mum might be feeling and I think that were I in her position I wouldn’t want my son’s teammates to physically hurt the POS because he’s already living rent-free in everyone’s head and this just prolongs the whole sordid ordeal.

Maybe I’m so far off the mark it’s not funny. But maybe I’m not. 🤷‍♀️ 

Good point WCW. The usual voice of reason. I did mention this as a possibility tonight a few hours ago. And in more reflective moments, even earlier. But I wish I was less reactive like you 

With a bit of perspective I definitely think this is a distinct possibility. I'm sure the whole affair has been gut wrenching for the poor bloke and quite possibly he decided to forgive the bloke and move on. And thus perhaps want his teammates to the same. That would certainly explain the hand shaking. In any event it's more than likely Gus didn't want to relive the whole episode by Maynard being in the spotlight.

If this was the case, then it was the right thing for the team to leave him alone( although other clubs have their own agenda with him).

In this case probably best to ignore this thread and put it down to a knee JERK or MAYNARD reaction .Hopefully it was at least probably cathartic for a lot of supporters at least😄

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Good point WCW. The usual voice of reason. I did mention this as a possibility tonight a few hours ago. And in more reflective moments, even earlier. But I wish I was less reactive like you 

With a bit of perspective I definitely think this is a distinct possibility. I'm sure the whole affair has been gut wrenching for the poor bloke and quite possibly he decided to forgive the bloke and move on. And thus perhaps want his teammates to the same. That would certainly explain the hand shaking. In any event it's more than likely Gus didn't want to relive the whole episode by Maynard being in the spotlight.

If this was the case, then it was the right thing for the team to leave him alone( although other clubs have their own agenda with him).

In this case probably best to ignore this thread and put it down to a knee JERK or MAYNARD event. Hopefully it was at least probably cathartic for a lot of supporters at least😄

No worries, Deeves. It’s always good to consider things from several other angles, not just the one. Also, this thread is most definitely warranted; folks need an outlet, and this is perfect for that, and it’s with like-mindeds. It’s amazing how issuing a death threat can make one feel positively giddy with joy 😂

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

issuing a death threat can make one feel positively giddy with joy

Always been my go to method for getting out of a funk or dealing with Optus. Life's brighter and filled with panavision colour on the right side of a threatening to flail someone. 😵‍💫

( Have I gone too far?)

• Haha 3

End result is - we no longer have the team culture we had in 2021. If we can’t stand up for each other, and are not willing to do what it takes, we will just be fillings spots on the ladder. 

I am most disappointed in Viney. He is our on field leader. He had to make a statement 

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, frankie_d said:

and who did Long coat hanger and hospitalise in the 2000 grand final. only Schwartz remonstrated. 

As much as it pains me to say, Dons 2000 team were a pretty tough bunch that played pretty hard as well. We had some tough nuts too in Ingerson, Schwartz and Neiter .

We may have gone out in straight sets twice in a row lately but the dons 2000 team was earmarked to win three flags in a row. Ha ha .

2 hours ago, frankie_d said:

and who did Long coat hanger and hospitalise in the 2000 grand final. only Schwartz remonstrated. 

It was a full pace hip and shoulder to Snake Simmonds’ head, as he was bending down to get the ball. Could have killed him. Today it would have been 12 games minimum.

It diminished Long as a player in my eyes.

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Angry 1

5 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Omnipotent & odiousness, c’mon there still are some supporters on this forum without their heads up their own backsides

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

No worries, Deeves. It’s always good to consider things from several other angles, not just the one. Also, this thread is most definitely warranted; folks need an outlet, and this is perfect for that, and it’s with like-mindeds. It’s amazing how issuing a death threat can make one feel positively giddy with joy 😂

The best and only effective way to "get back" at low life brainless losers like Maynard is to beat them fair and square on the field - whilst I wouldn't shed a tear if their best player got injured like Trac next game our single objective should be to [censored] them senseless on the scoreboard - we can only hope

• Like 3
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Sydee said:

The best and only effective way to "get back" at low life brainless losers like Maynard is to beat them fair and square on the field - whilst I wouldn't shed a tear if their best player got injured like Trac next game our single objective should be to [censored] them senseless on the scoreboard - we can only hope

I'm hoping the last game of the season has some ramifications for them and we can hurt them with a victory.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Redleg said:

Well if that's the case then I'm even more disappointed. It's one thing for the coaches to ask it of players, but for the players to be non-combative is a real worry.

• Like 1

We are a nice club who’s culture is soft as butter and every other club knows it. 
I love Max to bits but his leadership style couldn’t be any softer. Goody has very little aggression in him either.  

Lack of response to Maynard in last years final or last weeks game is just one example of how soft we are. 

How many times do teams go after Max all game on and off the ball. Zero reaction from any of our players including Max. Why wouldn’t teams continue to do it. 

It’s not just on field either we are soft as off field too. We let Grundy go for a bag of chips because it was the right thing to do and we are nice. 
If Petty doesn’t sign a contract we will get bugger all for him too because nobody will believe we will hold him to the last year of his contract. We are too nice to do that. 

Going off the reports it looks like some of our new recruits might have a bit of aggression in them( Kolt and Kentfield) so I’m wondering if it’s something we are trying to address but it’s just as likely that we will coach that aggression out of them.

Also I’m not talking about thuggery, just a willingness to stand up for your teams mates and go hard at the footy when required.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 2

11 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

As much as it pains me to say, Dons 2000 team were a pretty tough bunch that played pretty hard as well. We had some tough nuts too in Ingerson, Schwartz and Neiter .

We may have gone out in straight sets twice in a row lately but the dons 2000 team was earmarked to win three flags in a row. Ha ha .

That was a disgraceful and cowardly hit.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Embarassing really.

Not Demons......   fuschias   :(

It pains me to say it but we really do play, "Bruise Free" footy!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1