SOLUTIONS NEEDED. 2 JUNE 2024. Memo to Goody

12 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

the thing is, @picket fence, that's not what people are calling you up on - you are denigrating the 2021 premiership by looking at 2024

i don't think we're a chance to win the premiership in 2024 personally, but that has nothing to do with 2021

saying we fluked a premiership? stupid comment

a stroke of luck
the discovery was a fluke

Her second championship shows that the first one was no mere fluke.
  • Facepalm 5
  • Vomit 1

20 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Maybe not a fluke, but definitely we had a perfect run. No major injuries and all our top talent playing at their peak of their powers.

Perhaps Goodwin is a coach that can only do it when all things fall in place. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It may not suit the sensibilities of some but in the minds of many there is definitely an * next to 21.

The only way some may remove that is for another flag to be won in reasonable succession.  

Let's do that and everyone's  happy 😊 

• Facepalm 2
  • Vomit 1

1 minute ago, beelzebub said:

It may not suit the sensibilities of some but in the minds of many there is definitely an * next to 21.

The only way some may remove that is for another flag to be won in reasonable succession.  

Don’t agree. We dominated 21 from start to finish and smashed each 3 finals. 

Go tell a pies fan I reckon there’s an * next to their flag last year as the umpires got them past GWS and our goal kicking got them past us - pretty sure they won’t cop that

• Like 11
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

Go tell a pies fan I reckon there’s an * next to their flag last year as the umpires got them past GWS and our goal kicking got them past us - pretty sure they won’t cop that

Filth supporters are the first ones to call our premiership the "CoVid premiership".

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

Totally agree, we destroyed all before us. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, BDA said:

no there isn't

You see here's  the thing .

You're quite happy for your opinion.

I know many who don't share it

May I suggest just suck that up.

We won a flag . A great thing. Proudly shown next to my plate (lic). A reality

That doesn't  mean some don't question it.

That's another reality. Sticking your head in the sand or denying there are other thoughts than your own won't change a thing.

I'd like us to win another. Waited 58 years last time.... not sure I've that available again.

Go Dees

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

I can see sense in this!

Flags are always hard to win . 

We had a team that was at the cusp of greatness.  The squad as always needed some turnover  but retained the nucleus to keep it in the premiership window.

We lost in straight sets after consistent high level peformances.

Maybe opposition had cracked the system , but inaccuracy and atrocious umpiring combined with the incident just destroyed us.

We have a squad with mixed talents Goody has tried to introduce a greater depth by having players with a natural replacement. Injuries and Pettys form have created difficulty and opportunity. The system as I have previously stated , (defence and surge) can still work if all players play their role.

Its on the coach to get the players motivated again. I think he can do it and the second half offers the opportunity to play different players, different structures, pattern etc but retain the core of the team and hide the successful strategy from our opponents. The potential of our team has not been diminished. I still have faith

1 hour ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

Why would Dees fans want to agree with them? 

Because a fair chunk on here are self-flagellators who like things to be terrible and our achievements diminished.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

42 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

I'd like us to win another. Waited 58 years last time.... not sure I've that available again.

On board with this, as a supporter the flag wasn’t what I’d been waiting for as it happened on tv, I couldn’t be there and that itch won’t be scratched unless we win one at the G.

But that doesn’t mean it’s not a genuine flag - we won it and anyone else would be claiming it too. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 2

2 hours ago, picket fence said:

So two straight finals exits and u want to sugar coat that everythings Dandy, who gives a fat rats clacker what happens in the Home and Away it is what you do in finals that defines you! and so the warnings of previous games are now just coming to fruition, so are you saying you can't "Fluke" a Flag?? Footscray did it in 2016! AND given our diabolical last two STRAIGHT SETS EXITS It may well be that we indeed FLUKED a premiership just saying! Your plan for moving forward is???, I have one suggestion, play the kids and see who can be part of 2025, Hunter, Mc Adams, Shache, Fullarton and probably BBB, T.Mac and possibly Billings should not be part of 2025. So what I am saying is play for 2025. 2024 is COOKED! You dont lose to West Coast and Freo, unless there is something mightily wrong in the club!!

Really disappointing comment about the premiership Picket.

• Clap 1

1 minute ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

On board with this, as a supporter the flag wasn’t what I’d been waiting for as it happened on tv, I couldn’t be there and that itch won’t be scratched unless we win one at the G.

But that doesn’t mean it’s not a genuine flag - we won it and anyone else would be claiming it too. 

Never said it wasn't.  It's a flag. Someone was going to win it...and was us and fully deserving of it. 

That said.  It wasn't like any other season.  On one hand irrelevant as it was what it was and we won. On another , in minds of many....and arguably about 90% from other allegiances , some place an* next to it.

Is that legitimate? The answer is it's purely subjective and down to the individual.  To say some don't see it that way is simply a reality.

The other is ... in the history of this game the 2021 AFL Premiers... are us.

I'm not feeling particularly close to another just atm ;)

Hopefully this changed

Go Dees

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Maybe not a fluke, but definitely we had a perfect run. No major injuries and all our top talent playing at their peak of their powers.

Perhaps Goodwin is a coach that can only do it when all things fall in place. 🤷🏻‍♂️

This is a silly argument. We only won it because our elite players were playing elite football?

That’s how every flag is won!

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

Just now, titan_uranus said:

This is a silly argument. We only won it because our elite players were playing elite football?

That’s how every flag is won!

What I meant is that there are coaches that are capable to extract the best of their team even if the list isn't perfect. Goodwin doesn't strike me as one, I don't mind being wrong btw.

2021 was a perfect season, including our performance on the field.

2021 was amazing. Ridiculous to denigrate.  Would've been better in Melbourne but it does not diminish the achievement. 

In 2022 we got to finals banged up and limped our way through the second half of the season. 

In 2023, we were good enough to win the flag despite being with Melksham & Petty in finals and poor Angus being mauled into retirement.

A FD failure with Grundy, poor kicking for goal in both finals and a JV kick with his wrong foot with 60 seconds to go vs Carlton blew it up. You could find millions of other reasons but whe you boil it down I think they're the keys 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Filth supporters are the first ones to call our premiership the "CoVid premiership".

And they're known as uneducated filth for a reason. Their famous cheer squad leader is a convicted pedophile. Why would any person of sound mind agree with their assertion?I f anything, our premiership in 2021 is worth more, as we dominated everyone all season long without any form of advantage. We were the outright best team both home and away season and finals. It was factually one of the most dominant seasons this century. Pies etc got a home ground advantage over an interstate clubs etc.

Anyone discrediting our 2021 flag should be ignored and flogged before the masses for slander. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

You see here's  the thing .

You're quite happy for your opinion.

I know many who don't share it

May I suggest just suck that up.

We won a flag . A great thing. Proudly shown next to my plate (lic). A reality

That doesn't  mean some don't question it.

That's another reality. Sticking your head in the sand or denying there are other thoughts than your own won't change a thing.

Go Dees

Surely Bub a person of your wisdom can see that those who believe there is an asterisk against that premiership are those with a need to denigrate other's achievements, some people are just like that. It's a form of jealousy in my opinion. They are the ones that can suck it up.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, loges said:

....those who believe there is an asterisk against that premiership are those with a need to denigrate other's achievements, some people are just like that. It's a form of jealousy in my opinion. 

And they're aren't true supporters either 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

What I meant is that there are coaches that are capable to extract the best of their team even if the list isn't perfect. Goodwin doesn't strike me as one, I don't mind being wrong btw.

2021 was a perfect season, including our performance on the field.

And Goodwin deserves credit for this. Not a question mark.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

On 02/06/2024 at 21:41, spirit of norm smith said:

Hi all. 2 June 2024.  
Unbelievably after our 2021 premiership 🏆 and talk of a Demons Dynasty, the Dees have been smashed by Freo (by 92 points). Our 3rd loss in 4 weeks. We now sit 10th.  It was a humiliating loss. Beaten all over the ground. Zero winners.  Zero.  We looked slow and uncompetitive and incapable of successful transition of the footy. Our contested footy and stoppages are embarrassing.  Our forward line was led by two defenders trialling as forwards.  The loss comes two weeks after being beaten by 6 goals to cellar dweller Eagles.  Do we panic? Well we might.  But footy can be a simple game.  Simple.  We forget how sport can be over analyzed and players confident eroded by the lack of strategy and skill.  How do we respond ?  Here’s some easy thoughts from a humble 48 year supporter and former suburban footballer.  Memo to Goodwin. 

Step 1/STOP THE OVERHANDBALLING  Players are scared to kick it. We run it until it’s into trouble. Opponents are sweating on us to make the mistakes   It’s so predictable. Backline hardball mistakes are shockers. Easy goals. Players under zero pressure handball to players under pressure

Step 2/ KICKING.  AUSSIE RULES FOOTBALL. Note to all. skills skills and skills. When free, use you CORRECT kicking leg.  Lazy foot skills often on display and turnovers.  Our skills under zero pressure have desserted us.  It’s horrible.  

Step 3/  STOP LAZY PLAY   STOP SLOW & WIDE & BORING FOOTY   Scared footballers take easy 15 metres sideways kicks , even when running through the midfield 

MOVE THE BALL QUICKLY WITH INTENSITY  BE BRAVE NOT SCARED!! 

Step 4/ STOP TURNING BACKS AND FORWARDS INTO MIDS (RECRUIT MIDS) 

The engine room is so critical.   It all starts in the middle.   Real quality mids are the stars.   Even with a generation champion Ruckman, our mids are losing big time.  No more Riv or Kozzy experiments. We need them doing what they do best. Kozzy kicking goals   Riv being courageous and defending for his life 

Recruit mids.  We have enough backs and forwards- talls mediums smalls.  Why are trying to turn small forwards into mids. Stop It

Step 5/  our Premiership defence.  May.  Lever. Petty. RETURN PETTY TO DEFENCE. He looks a broken player.  He has lost confidence.  The forward experience is over. 

Step 6/ GOALKICKING   GOALKICKING  GOALKICKING  it’s so important but appears worse than ever  Players trying screw kicks on their wrong foot … why? why it’s horrendous !!! 

Step 7/ STOP GUARDING GRASS   The zone gets undone by ball movement and run and chip and mark footy   Freo destroyed the zone   Man up  Run to be accountable and responsible  

Step 8/ STOP RECRUITING UNNEEDED PLAYERS IN THEIR DECLINE   Hunter. Billings.McAdam. Schache. Why ? List cloggers.  Why? Hunter and Billings were taking salary cap dramas off other clubs   Stop now !!  

We attracted Langdon, Hibberd, Lever, May, Melksham. Find those players again.  Find the free agents.  Find the players with upside. 

Step 9/ TACKLING. TACKLING. STOP THE PLAYER.  MAKE IT COUNT. Too many games see our players failing to stop   Aside from JV7, our entire midfield lacks defensive pressure and shutting down opponents  

Step 10/ DISCIPLINE AND DESPARATION.  Dees have zero smothers zero blocks zero little extra non stats hard work showing out.  It’s a comfort zone.  The desperation is non existent.   Third efforts rare, very rare.  

The #Freo92 loss hurts.  Really hurts.   We are now seemingly over the chance of another premiership and one on the MCG.  The coach showed little emotion and little plan B.  Outsmarted and outcoached.  

But we can apply the simple things.  The fixes that start to rebuild.   

Go Dees !!! 

Bloody good start! 

18 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

And Goodwin deserves credit for this. Not a question mark.

I never mentioned questions marks or asterisk 🤷🏻‍♂️