2024 Game Style

It's pretty simple forget stats we are a one paced midfield, poorly skilled side and by that I mean we continually struggle to kick low 20 metre passes at eye level, when we transfer the ball it is never low and hard It's long high balls, when we get the ball say on the wing watch where they look first always along the line never inside to see if someone is lose to play on quick, Lever is a classic at that.

One reason why we slow start is because we are not a quick side we are and endurance side and that is one reason we come back into the last one and a half quarters.

As for people blaming the backline last week, if you had the ball coming in time and time again any side starts to struggle, and to the forward line that has been a problem since 22,  slow entries balls bombed in.

I think we are now stuck between two gameplans so I hope the coaches get it sorted out as we still have a good side but it's how far they can go this year, and there is still 14 games to go.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Wright wasn't speculative.  He was poorly developed and mismanaged at GCS along with others that have left.

BTW, $500k pa was a bargain for Ess not so great for Wright.

Reminds me of a few players at Melbourne....

Edited by demon3165
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

Is the game plan to get beaten nearly every 1st qtr?

Our first qtr percentage is 88%

We always seem to be on the back foot and reacting rater than dictating terms,

We're certainly reactive, it's though we'll see what you've got then we'll counter it. We're just not setting the tone how we want to play from the first bounce so we end playing catch up for the rest of the game. Let's go out there and assert ourselves from the beginning.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

He said in a 2023 review podcast that despite going out in straight sets, we were the form team of finals ironically

Yeah this is frustrating beyond words. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

BB was a leading forward we tried to make him a pack mark forward. 

And we won a flag with him...

• Like 2
  • Love 4

5 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Chuck it the bin and revert to 2023 with a dash of composure.

We won 7 of our last 8 home and away games, with the one loss decided by an inconclusive goal umpiring call against a prelim finalist.

Dominated the inside 50's by +32 against the Pies in week 1 finals which is surely a win in 99/100 occurrences;

Outscored Carlton by 8 scoring shots in the semi final which in anyone's language is a 3-5 goal win any day of the week. The game plan didn't provide for Max Gawn missing a critical shot from the point post.

This year we are all over the shop.

We're showing wild inconsistencies within games.

We're losing stats we otherwise would usually win.

We're letting opposition mids waltz out of the centre.

And most recently we got outscored on turnovers by about 70-14 which we're told over and over again is a critical stat for success. On what basis does a good game plan allow for that kind of disgraceful discrepancy?

I agree with everything you’ve said but none of this was part of the post/preseason narrative.  

We choked last year in the finals.  Plain and simple.  It wasn’t the game plan, selections or strategy.  We choked in front of the goals when we had more than enough opportunities to win each final.

The fans and the media screamed for gameplan changes; and that’s what we’ve got. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

It doesn't need to be from one Vic club to another.

In 2020 Peter Wright was traded back to Vic (Ess) from GCS for a future 4th round pick on $500k a year.  Out of favour with Dew.

JT was reportedly keen on him in his draft year.  I don't think we or anyone else chased him otherwise GCS would have got a better deal from Ess.

Wright has starred since.  We missed a trick there.

Ah, the joys of hindsight 🙄

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

People forget this too quickly. Pretty sure his 3 goals in the GF were all contested marks and set shots too. 

• Like 7

I don't know if its game plan

I think the players aren't playing anywhere near the level they are capable of. Our midfield is a shadow of itself. Clarry just isn't firing like we know he can. he's our best player.

• Like 2

I've said it in the game plan thread it's obvious what we are doing doesn't suit us. That doesn't mean it's wrong to trial it and add that play to our game.

We will SWITCH back to our proven formula in the run home. No point doing it when our best player has a mangled hand and coming off half a pre-season.

Goodwin is our first premiership coach in 50 years he is not stupid. Oliver, Petracca & Viney our greatest midfield ever but none elite kicks. We will play to our strengths when the time comes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Binmans PA said:

And what's your point, what has he done since, we were like the dogs right place right time, what have they done since?

5 minutes ago, Wrecker46 said:

I've said it in the game plan thread it's obvious what we are doing doesn't suit us. That doesn't mean it's wrong to trial it and add that play to our game.

We will SWITCH back to our proven formula in the run home. No point doing it when our best player has a mangled hand and coming off half a pre-season.

Goodwin is our first premiership coach in 50 years he is not stupid. Oliver, Petracca & Viney our greatest midfield ever but none elite kicks. We will play to our strengths when the time comes

And the game has changed.

1 hour ago, DemonWA said:

People forget this too quickly. Pretty sure his 3 goals in the GF were all contested marks and set shots too. 

Suggest you watch them again, don't confuse one on one with what I'm saying about pack marks like McKay, Curnow etc

13 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

And what's your point, what has he done since, we were like the dogs right place right time, what have they done since?

I’ll keep calling this out every time I see it. It’s simply not true.

We were the best side throughout 2021. We beat 16 of the other 17 sides, including all finalists. We were top 4 all year. 

Project your grumpiness elsewhere.

• Like 7
  • Clap 6

Posted (edited)

Binman was saying on the podcast that the change in game style was to score more from turnover, however the numbers aren’t showing that at all.

Have a look at these sobering stats on how we’re fairing in the turnover game this year

‘24 season:

Scores from turnover: Ranked 14th

Scores from turnover differential: Ranked 13th

Last 5 matches:

Scores from turnover: Ranked 17th

Scores from turnover differential: Ranked 15th

Let’s compare it to 2023

Scores from turnover: Ranked 7th (Pies were 6th)

Scores from turnover differential: Ranked 3rd (Collingwood was 2nd)

The Eagles were a bottom 6 turnover side but they’ve improved over the last 5 matches and are ranked 7th now for differential. 

I’ve got no idea what the coaches are trying, but our turnover scores and turnover differential (the biggest key indicator of winning the flag) is in the toilet. 

People on the forum love to say “oh but the Pies lost to the Hawks last year and won the flag”. Yes, they did. But it’s not all about the Win-losses at the moment, it’s about the way we’re playing and we’re playing ****house.

Edited by At the break of Gawn
  • Like 6
  • Clap 1

9 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I’ll keep calling this out every time I see it. It’s simply not true.

We were the best side throughout 2021. We beat 16 of the other 17 sides, including all finalists. We were top 4 all year. 

Project your grumpiness elsewhere.

And I will keep saying that it's not grumpiness because you don't like what I say, just remember opinions are like ?, even you are allowed to have one.

• Vomit 2

45 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

What was your point? You tried to say we turned him into something he wasn't and I said he won us a flag...

Game, set and match, Binmans PA.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

What was your point? You tried to say we turned him into something he wasn't and I said he won us a flag...

Game, set and match, Binmans 

Reminds me of my first wife, always trying to be right......

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, demon3165 said:

What a dogsh*t take. We finished top of the ladder and statistically had the second most dominant finals series this century. We absolutely [censored] in the 2021 premiership. Unlike the dogs, we've finished top four the two years since too and we're genuinely premiership contender.  The Dogs missed finals altogether post premiership after a fluke win from seventh. We are nothing like the Dogs. Nothing.

Time for you to have a lay down champ!

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

What a dogsh*t take. We finished top of the ladder and statistically had the second most dominant finals series this century. We absolutely [censored] in the 2021 premiership. Unlike the dogs, we've finished top four the two years since too and we're genuinely premiership contender.  The Dogs missed finals altogether post premiership after a fluke win from seventh. We are nothing like the Dogs. Nothing.

Time for you to have a lay down champ!

Don't call me champ full stop mate, say anything else but that !!!! Clearly you lack football knowledge. 

• Haha 1
  • Vomit 1

There is no one thing contributing to our inconsistent form - There is obviously some instability in our method, but its too simplistic to suggest we could revert back to our past method and our form would/should improve.

I think we over analyse footy these days. Helps to pass the time between matches though...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DemonWA said:

He had a great Grand Final. His time has now passed but that should never diminish the positive legacy he left for MFC which was an important contribution to a first flag in 57 years!

• Like 3