NON-MFC: Round 11

8 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I wish I didn’t.

It’s in the past anyways, where it belongs. But it’s super annoying to be in the Non-MFC thread and having to read the same old uninformed BS about ex-Dees and how our club failed them. It’s annoying in any thread, but particularly in this one. I’m really unwell and should’ve known better than to even go on DL let alone snap back at yet another clueless post about the whole Grundy affair. My bad. 🙄 

*retreats back to sick bed and hopes getting worked up over this doesn’t prove a setback in the Need To Be Well Enough By Sunday In Order To Attend Our Match campaign*

🤒

So smarty   inform us all !😫

9 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

I wonder what would happen to the AFL following in NSW if, god forbid, the Swans were bad?

5 or 6 years being at the bottom of the ladder.

Probably empty SCG and underwhelming membership numbers. Must be a thing of nightmares for the AFL House.

Really?? But the great bloods spirit that all the media talk about would prevail? Surely their golden culture would instill such loyalty through their supporter base.  They wouldn’t be so fickle.  Surely 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

because it didn't hurt to try; it was an experiment that didn't work

we paid little for him, we got little for him

A case could be made that it did work, for the club at least.

Grundy was terrific in that block of games he rucked solo when Max was out injured.

Not that it mattered in the end, but there's a good chance we don't end up top 4 if we didn't have an elite ruck to replace Max.

As you say we got Grundy for a bargain - not bad insurance.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, binman said:

Grundy was terrific in that block of games he rucked solo when Max was out injured.

Not that it mattered in the end, but there's a good chance we don't end up top 4 if we didn't have an elite ruck to replace Max.

kornes was harping on about melbourne helping a fellow contender, maintaining that we should've continued to play grundy in the vfl and just use him when we needed to give gawn a chop out

he really is a moron

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

10 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Underachievers??

Under Horse they've played in 4 grand finals and a massive amount of finals.

It's bloody hard enough to win a final let alone make a grand final and they've done exceptionally well under his guidance. 

You say they get help from the academy yet tonight they only had 4 players in their line up. Compared to the likes of GWS and Gold Coast that's nothing. One of their best players in Chad Warner and arguably top 5 player in the comp is from WA.

If you think they're underachievers then what do you make of us with the list and talent we've had on display. Elite defence, elite midfield line up led by arguably the greatest ruckman of the modern era and a sound forward line.

I think I know who the underachievers are and it's certainly not Sydney here.

Does this apply to us too? 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

Does this apply to us too? 

Perhaps it's just part of being a fan, but it seems many dees fans, for all manner of things, don't apply the same logic to the dees as they do to other clubs.

Flags are hard to win. Yes we won a flag under goody, but somehow one flag in 7 season for us is a fail. 

We are consistently a contender and give ourselves a chance to win a flag. Underachieved.

The cats and swans are a well run clubs that are always in the frame. Wouldn't it be be great to be a fan of those clubs.

Other contenders get beaten when favorites, a blip. We get beaten as favorites and it's time to rebuild and 'play the kids'.

Other teams struggle for a block of time but they have key players out injured. We have a rough patch for the same reason and we lack depth.

And on, and on and on.

Edited by binman
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

Interesting review on the fine dining experiment at Docklands. Seems that it is off to a quiet start.

https://www.theage.com.au/goodfood/melbourne-eating-out/does-marvel-stadium-s-new-fine-dining-restaurant-beat-a-meat-pie-at-the-footy-20240523-p5jg4z.html

Begs the question of what do people want and where. The area surrounding the MCG is mainly a food desert. Why I'm not sure. How also do you run a business based on one or two peak days with constantly changing game times and crowd numbers. A tough gig

My first visit to Amphora was during a footy game that drew 45,000 people. Only three of them were in the restaurant at half-time: there was an unbridgeable schism between the energy of the match and the dining room’s cosseted quiet. I came back to the venue to watch the Anzac Day match between Collingwood and Essendon. It was being played at a sold-out MCG, but there were only about 20 people watching it here on TV.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

So smarty   inform us all !😫

Smarty? Way to ingratiate yourself. 😂

I’m not stoopid enough to share anything I hear as a consequence of much time spent involved in various ways with the MFC. Suffice to say, folks ought not assume they know the whys and wherefores of any situation. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Vomit 1

3 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I’m not stoopid enough to share anything I hear as a consequence of much time spent involved in various ways with the MFC. Suffice to say, folks ought not assume they know the whys and wherefores of any situation. 

Don't worry, WCW. I think 99% of DLanders realise that Kent is a troll who misspells his name.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Just now, Ollie fan said:

Don't worry, WCW. I think 99% of DLanders realise that Kent is a troll who misspells his name.

Yep, I forgot to not feed the troll aka he who uses the wrong vowel in his name. 😁

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, binman said:

You don't need an elite ruckman to win games.. You can get away with having a solid enough ruckman to fill in the position purely to compete in ruck contest and nullify his opponent in stoppage and around the ground. Max is a once in a generation talent in that department, you're never going to find anyone of similar ilk.

Think back to when Cam Pederson filled in for Max when he did his hamstring in 2017 and done a fantastic job as an undersized but mobile ruckman. Competed like a lion and yet we were still able to win some big games with Max out.

You cannot tell me the last two premiership ruckman in Rhys Stanley and Darcy Cameron are anywhere elite in any form lol.

Paying stupid money for Grundy whilst thinking that bringing in another genuine number 1 ruck to help out was bizarre list management at the time. If they wanted a back up ruck then go the cheaper version thats out there.

Grundy was never a second fiddle ruckman and never has been. We then went into panic mode and tried to turn him into a key forward at VFL level which again was strange by us. He's back playing his natural position and doing well up the Swans.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

You don't need an elite ruckman to win games.. You can get away with having a solid enough ruckman to fill in the position purely to compete in ruck contest and nullify his opponent in stoppage and around the ground. Max is a once in a generation talent in that department. 

Think back to when Cam Pederson filled in for Max when he did his hamstring in 2017 and done a fantastic job as an undersized but mobile ruckman. Competed like a lion and yet we were still able to win some big games with Max out.

You cannot tell me the last two premiership ruckman in Rhys Stanley and Darcy Cameron are anywhere elite in any form lol.

Paying stupid money for Grundy whilst thinking that bringing in another genuine number 1 ruck to help out was bizarre list management at the time. If they wanted a back up ruck then go the cheaper version thats out there.

Grundy was never a second fiddle ruckman and never has been. We then went into panic mode and tried to turn him into a key forward at VFL level which again was strange by us. He's back playing his natural position and doing well up the Swans.

Your point?

• Clap 1

4 hours ago, Kent said:

So why start the process,why grab Grundy when we allegedly didnt need him It looks like a f&%$ up to me

Which it was totally, we all know why it didn't work now dont we!!??

• Thinking 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

kornes was harping on about melbourne helping a fellow contender, maintaining that we should've continued to play grundy in the vfl and just use him when we needed to give gawn a chop out

he really is a moron

I'm a big Kane Cornes fan but he's missed the point here.

The landscape in the player trade industry has changed over the years, contracts mean nothing now.

Once a player nominates a club which he did with Sydney, then realistically we've got to find the best deal possible for the club. We didn't help out a contender, we had no other choice because that's where Grundy wanted to go.

Yes we could have held him ransom to his contract and all that, but doing that would have benefited no one in the long run. The Grundy Melbourne relation was never going to work so we had to trade him off.

Grundy is obviously playing good footy and well on his way to success and Max is hopefully on his way to a 7th All Australian.  Both came out winners in my eyes.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, picket fence said:

Which it was totally, we all know why it didn't work now dont we!!??

Clearly not, PF. Most do, but not all. There’s still that little core group of stubborn closed-minded folks who are holding out. They don’t think it’s an MFC [censored]-up, they know it, and there’s no telling them otherwise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

Perhaps it's just part of being a fan, but it seems many dees fans, for all manner of things, don't apply the same logic to the dees as they do to other clubs.

Flags are hard to win. Yes we won a flag under goody, but somehow one flag in 7 season for us is a fail. 

We are consistently a contender and give ourselves a chance to win a flag. Underachieved.

The cats and swans are a well run clubs that are always in the frame. Wouldn't it be be great to be a fan of those clubs.

Other contenders get beaten when favorites, a blip. We get beaten as favorites and it's time to rebuild and 'play the kids'.

Other teams struggle for a block of time but they have key players out injured. We have a rough patch for the same reason and we lack depth.

And on, and on and on.

Would you rather be in finals forever but only win a premiership every 11 years?

Or like Brisbane, have a three-peat. Even if that means having to spend 5 or 6 years in the wilderness before being competitive again?

It's a hard decision but as many people say, at the end of the season there is only one winner and all others are losers. There are no trophies for finals or PF played.

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Clearly not, PF. Most do, but not all. There’s still that little core group of stubborn closed-minded folks who are holding out. They don’t think it’s an MFC [censored]-up, they know it, and there’s no telling them otherwise. 

So let us in to the secret and I will shut up

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

How positively convenient for you!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Would you rather be in finals forever but only win a premiership every 11 years?

Or like Brisbane, have a three-peat. Even if that means having to spend 5 or 6 years in the wilderness before being competitive again?

It's a hard decision but as many people say, at the end of the season there is only one winner and all others are losers. There are no trophies for finals or PF played.

Of course I'd rather the three peat and spend 5-6 years in the wilderness.

5-6 years in the wilderness?

To butcher the Monty python gag, luxury, sheer luxury - I followed the dees through 50 years in the wilderness.

But the last of the lions three peat flags was 2003. A generation ago.

The hawk had their three peat in 2013/14/15 - a decade ago - and have been in the wilderness since and you'd think it will be another 2-3 years minimum before they are a genuine contender.  

The tigers almost did it, but couldn't

So i'm not sure your second option is a realistic one anymore.

For someone who has followed the dees through decades of failure and struggles to even make finals, let alone winning a flag, i find the option of staying in the premiership window for as long as possible (like the swans, cats and ironically this iteration of the lions) very appealing.

Goody had said that is the aim, and that is supported by the way we have engineered the demographic spread of our list and playing so many young players.

Edited by binman
Memory holed the horror of a hawks three peat
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, binman said:

The tigers almost did it, but couldn't, and outside them no team has even won consecutive grand finals, let alone a 3 peat, since 2003.

Hawthorn 2013/14/15.

• Like 1