POSTGAME: Rd 08 vs Geelong

Who called it on Harrison Petty! 
Go Dee’s 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

Personally I loved watching Scott have a post-game sulk.

Can't help thinking that Geelong fans must really, really hate us by now.

I mean... really. We 'stole' their minor premiership, humiliated (Correction: abjectly humiliated) them in a preliminary final, and even plinked them out of the 2018 finals, and now we've busted their winning streak and possibly their whole fragile momentum.

And on every occasion it was flu or some other tragedy.

Can it please also be us who have finally cracked their shell of invulnerability and ended their era?

we had The WEED kick 3 that night in Week 1 2018!

the WEED kicked two the next week V The Family Club

then one goal in prelim

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Stretch Johnson said:

Been a while since I enjoyed a win that much.

Was sitting with a mate in GA M2 and gave it to the usual Geelong peanuts who stir the pot behind there.

Enormously entertaining.

Had a couple frothing at the mouth.  Anyone else there?

I liked how they kept chanting "boring football, boring" or something to that effect.

As they were chanting i was thinking "i'll take this insane defensive effort and possession game anytime if it results in us beating your lot you knuckleheads!"

And then we won.  A long trip back to sleepy hollow for those nincompoops.

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

I (usually) enjoy reading the opposition supporter takes post game, so...

What they're saying down at Kardinia Park

A few of the more level headed highlights:

Honestly Petty couldn't have caught Covid in a New York slum in 2020 up till tonight, and today he makes Carey look mortal. Staggering seeing him mark everything that came his way.

GAME PLAN
Melbourne played a short chipping game. Their patience allowed them to break through our defence effectively and denied us run and carry from the back half.. Consequently, we struggled to capitalize on our strengths and initiate fluid ball movement. Their defensive efforts effectively thwarted our attempts to inflict damage on turnovers.

CONCLUSION
We were outplayed and outcoached by a better side on the day.
Our 2 key forwards were non-existent and our game plan was exposed.

Tactically they were all over us. First half was a masterclass in how to stop us. They pressed high and were smart with their ball movement, fast into space to gain territory, slow once we're set up our zone inched to the F50 then tried to find a clear player, kept us hemmed in and under pressure we couldn't use the corridor which made our ball movement easy picking for their KPD. They gave us none of those fast breaks after a quick turnover. Didn't help how out gunned we were in the middle. Couldn't win it on the ground ball, couldn't move the ball foot and couldn't equalise it in the air let alone win it. How the * did we only lose by 8 points. We could have stole it in the end. He had possession chains that looked good, where as they just controlled the game as a whole. Our aerial presence was near non-existent. Really wanted Rohan to play a full game, Cameron won't start on the wing again, we outsmarted ourselves. If Hawkins can't make himself into a target we're a player down.

Every time we’ve played Melbourne for the last, I dunno, 4-5 years I’ve been terrified of their midfield and expected to get blown off the park. To put it bluntly, Trac, Oliver and Viney are better than anything we’ve been able to field during that time.

Despite all the shooting ourselves in the foot tonight with dumb decision making, poor skills and woeful goalkicking, in a way I’m feeling more confident of our chances this season than I was this afternoon.

We lost clearances by 1, contested possession by 3 and inside-50s by 2 - in other words our makeshift midfield basically broke then with them in most of the key stats.

If we got just 30% of the polish we normally expect from Jezza, Stewart, Duncan, O Henry (despite the 3 goals he had some terrible moments) and co, we would have been every chance to steal that one.

Sure there were a few costly umpire calls.
Lots of missed kicks and handballs
An epidemic of bad kicking at goal
Cats had a chance to steal it at the end.
Many believe to Cats blew it...

NO! the Demons deserved the win.
Dees simply wanted it more
Dees were more disciplined
Dees took the body at every contest
They held their tackles
They held on to stop Cats playing on.
Cats were always under intense pressure
Rushed decisions and made clangers

In Contrast Cats played bruise free footy.
Waited for, rather than attacked the ball
Rarely brought the man down
Didn't stick tackles to stop ball movement.
Stood back from the mark
Allowed Dees to play on fluently
Allowed time and space to execute skills

Cats were hunted instead of being hunters.
Chris Scott needs to fix this mental problem

Edited by JTR
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 8
  • Clap 3

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

wow, he’s a surly bast*rd, isn’t he? 
you’d reckon he could crack a smile since he’s so convinced they were just a bit off tonight but still nearly won it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My perspective after last week and this is: what we do against lowly teams don’t matter. Against Richmond, or Hawthorn, or whoever else, as long as we get the 4 points, nothing else matters.

These are the games that matter. Beating the other top teams matter. We’re a contender in 2024 and we ARE good enough to win it. 

Love these Dees.

• Like 19
  • Love 2

Posted (edited)

Kudos to the D.A. and crowd in M3.  And all other loyal minions who made it to the G tonight.

Thought that was one of our best nights for some time with noise levels and chants.

Someone towards the front of the D.A. got a little over excited near the end of the match standing on their seat waving flag then slipped off.

Pretty bad head injury apparently with ambos everywhere.

Hope they're recovering ok this morning.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Shocked 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

I sat next to demonland royalty tonight, incl @picket fence, @Bitter but optimistic and @Biffen

I think you'll find picket is taking the [censored] most of the time with his comments.

I was, however, most concerned that he 'conveniently' left his cards at home and only brought cash. And very little of that too!

It's fair to say that the MCG cleaners will spend considerable time and gurney pressure working on the area we were sitting

Just got home from a Very round trip, lets get a few things outa the way

1 Petty was very good tonight so a stay of execution, for now, he provided a solid target and took some great grabs

2 If Demon Royalty includes yours truly well then it was akin to a Royal Flush, only Uncle was the left Bower, Moonman the right, Biffen was the king..... and the fence was.... The ACE OF SPADES

3 I'm old school and had plenty of cash to splash but what is it with this rubbish cards only sheeeit. CASH IS STILL KING PEOPLE.

AH great win after I have a few scotch and cokes I'll post some more! 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
  • Clap 2

3 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Hawkins & Cameron combined for 0.4

Both have gone on 10 or so seasons too many!!

3 hours ago, greenwaves said:

Windsor is our best wingman

Since R.A.FLOWER

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

After sitting through that miserably disgusting cold night last year at GMHBA stadium. 

That win was hella sweet!

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Chris Scott you smug arrogant smug son of a female dog!

Edited by Doug Reemer
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Wilson7 said:

AFL.com.au - Clayton Oliver records 30 disposals for the first time since Round 2. His match tonight included 31 disposals at 81 efficiency, four clearances, 17 contested possessions, eight score involvements, 32 pressure acts and four inside 50's.

ABSOLUTELY MAAAAGNIFICENT... BUT WAIT..... HE STILL IS A WAY OF HIS BEST....

BUT THE CLARRY CHOO CHOO EXPRESS LIVES ON

image.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ollie fan said:

They should but they won't

Um I did, he was phenomenal tonight!!

• Clap 1

39 minutes ago, KLV said:

wow, he’s a surly bast*rd, isn’t he? 
you’d reckon he could crack a smile since he’s so convinced they were just a bit off tonight but still nearly won it.

Scott is a delusional scatterbrain who mumbles and can't put a sentence together without changing tack.  I watched both after-game Coach interviews and the educational difference between the astute Goodwin and Scott is amazing.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, cookieboc said:

Best defence in the comp

Best Defence ever in the AFL, go on and win another flag boys @ the G.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Like 4
  • Love 4

Really great win.

That last quarter was brilliant.

I loved how we played keepings off in the first half. Which was quite old Geelong. Our patient entries inside were elite.

I actually think Goodwin and co out coached Scott and co. They wanted to go fast and often we didn't let them, but if we did, our deep lying defence held them up. Playing the chip game, rather than kicking down the line, seemed to surprise Geelong and they failed to adjust.

We should have been 3 or 4 goals ahead at 3/4 time, but fortunately managed to play a clutch 4th quarter.

It'll be interesting to see if we change up the team at all against Carlton in 5 days time. I hope Bowser is back, meaning although he was good in defence again, Woey probably drops back to the sub role, and Laurie out altogether.

In some ways it was a really good precursor to the Carlton game, because our defence has again held up against a potent team that moves the ball super quickly. Do we let Carlton play the game in their forward half and look to slingshot and/or do we play keepings off like we did tonight?

I said we needed to go 2-1 or 3 zip between Richmond, Geelong and Carlton to solidify ourselves in the top 4. I think we're actually going to need to go 3 zip, so this Carlton game is huge. Win it, and this stretch will set up our season.

• Like 9
  • Clap 1

I just finished the replay after watching live.

On second viewing we were more dominant than I realised. We made them play on our terms significantly more than they made us play on theirs. The Cats are also a bloody good team

As for Chris Scott's mealy mouthed post game presser saying they were off and had their chances. Maybe but he ignored the fact we had way more chances to win and did

• Like 17

4 hours ago, Bates Mate said:

Take a bow tmac, I had you in a retirement home and you just destroyed the "best" player in the comp. 

Yep, I admit I was wrong about TMac. Thought he was done, thought it was very hopeful we were trying him as a defender again, but I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about. He was been an undeniable revelation back there.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Kudos to the D.A. and crowd in M3.  And all other loyal minions who made it to the G tonight.

Thought that was one of our best nights for some time with noise levels and chants.

Someone towards the front of the D.A. got a little over excited near the end of the match standing on their seat waving flag then slipped off.

Pretty bad head injury apparently with ambos everywhere.

Hope they're recovering ok this morning.

Yeah that was terrible. He was standing on his seat and fell forward, over the seat in front of him, his head hitting the ground in front of that seat. Because it was the row in front it meant a longer drop. They put screens up around him while paramedics worked on him. We were ordered to vacate the bay immediately. We’ll know tomorrow how he is. 🤞🏼 

• Thanks 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Seriously he is a  f l o g

Maybe they were sick again?

That was as salty as I have ever seen him, glad he was really pleased. Even the prelim he had the grace to say congratulations.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

I think we need to be putting more score on the board for us to be a genuine contender. 

It is simply not sustainable for our defence having to continually keep the opposition scores less than our own when we aren’t scoring heavily ourselves.

What is f we'd kicked straight, must have missed half a dozen kickables 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

Do we let Carlton play the game in their forward half and look to slingshot and/or do we play keepings off like we did tonight?

Tough call as we only have the 5 days.

I'd say more emphasis on slingshot than we did against the Puddy Cats.

Against the Cats we were 'mostly' very methodical coming out of defence and rarely tried to sling shot forward. 

Probably due to our press being quite high and having to wait for most forwards to get back first. 

If we had the more usual 6-7 day breaik i'd say pull the trigger alot more in an attempt to punish the Baggers on the rebound as they're mostly a sluggish team, bar Walsh.

You need to give your forwards some  decent 1 v 1 looks and not allow their troops to get back and support their only (VERY) effective tall defender in Weitering.

Getting the ball to ground and putting the rest of em under severe pressure at ground level (no Saad) as we did against the Cats.

I see the Blues as more of a chaos team that likes to crash / bash out of stoppage, especially looking to get the ball into the hands of Cripps with front exits from stoppage ... and Walsh out the back if that option's not available.

Crisp played a bit of a tag at stoppage on Cripps last match, assisted by Shultz et al.  Between them, these combos put some effective blocks on to close down his ability to run through stoppage and receive.  Worked a treat imho with Cripps having a pretty quiet night by his standards.

They also rushed at Walsh wherever they could to try and ensure any kicks forward from stoppage were dirty, making it difficult for the Blues to connect inside 50 with their twin talls.

The Blues style reminds me a little of ours in 2022/23 so it's effective but with our experience and talent we can and (usually) should be able to close it down a fair bit and counter on the rebound off HB or out of stoppage ourselves.

Just hope the five day break doesn't kill our performance too much.  The Blues also coming off two six day breaks yes?  This might help even things out a little.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 3