Jump to content

Sam Weideman


Dingo

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Jontee said:

We played too safe.  Curnow said he was going to play with his brother so see you later in 2 years and McKay was troubled???

McKay was widely seen as a player that lacked the required hardness and hunger to make the most of his talent. 
 

On talent alone he was top 5 easily.

I watched him live 3-4 times in his TAC Cup days and he would often drop out of pack for the Joe the Goose or sweep past his teammates for the handball receive. He didn’t act or play like a KPF.

Other times he’d pluck the ball out of the air like he was a man amongst boys and dob goals from outside 50 without raising a sweat. I’d turn to a colleague and we’d discuss how frustrating a prospect he was.

I saw less of Sam but felt he was a 2nd round prospect and his lack of games has never really surprised me. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jontee said:

We played too safe.  Curnow said he was going to play with his brother so see you later in 2 years and McKay was troubled???

Curnow was seen as getting onto trouble too much, which is typical pre-draft smoke and mirrors. McKay brothers were always seen as top end talent.

I was surprised with the Weid selection, particularly given the (now justified) hype of Curnow and the McKay twins

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Worth noting the top end talent available at Pick 9

Appart from Curnow and McKay x 2, there was Hipwood, Dan Rioli, HHimmelberg, Doedee, Gresham, Burton, Ben Keays, Josh Dunkley, Blake Hardwick, Jordan Dawson and Nate Broad

But that's hindsight for ya! Not even Jason Taylor is perfect!

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Curnow was seen as getting onto trouble too much, which is typical pre-draft smoke and mirrors. McKay brothers were always seen as top end talent.

I was surprised with the Weid selection, particularly given the (now justified) hype of Curnow and the McKay twins

Curnow is a weird miss I think. He comes from an awesome family and had a few minor things occur but it was over hyped on the negative. Ask any Carlton supporter and Charlie is the last to leave the track signing autographs for kids, volunteers for hospital visits and generally an all round ripping bloke. 
 

May is his kryptonite at the moment though… 😉 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, bush demon said:

Someone who played football at the highest level.

Um, quite a few on this site also did!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, JJJ said:

McKay was widely seen as a player that lacked the required hardness and hunger to make the most of his talent. 
 

On talent alone he was top 5 easily.

I watched him live 3-4 times in his TAC Cup days and he would often drop out of pack for the Joe the Goose or sweep past his teammates for the handball receive. He didn’t act or play like a KPF.

Other times he’d pluck the ball out of the air like he was a man amongst boys and dob goals from outside 50 without raising a sweat. I’d turn to a colleague and we’d discuss how frustrating a prospect he was.

I saw less of Sam but felt he was a 2nd round prospect and his lack of games has never really surprised me. 

On Curnow, how can't that be considered tampering? So basically you choose your destination because of your relatives? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites


17 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

On Curnow, how can't that be considered tampering? So basically you choose your destination because of your relatives? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

If we rated him higher than Weideman we would’ve drafted him. I knew of 2 clubs that didn’t think he was a flight risk to Carlton and would’ve taken him had he fallen to them.

Credit to Carlton, they drafted 2 players and spent the time and effort required to develop them into Coleman Medallist’s. They had the requisite skills and make up but Carlton did something right.
 

We went with a guy who was very highly regarded as a 16year old and injured a lot in top age but ticked every box from a personality perspective except for perhaps competitiveness. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Which car did you take on your journey from Briiiiiiighton @Dingo?

Braahtn to Sandy - you could almost risk one of the EVs without too much range anxiety, if driven carefully. 

21 minutes ago, JJJ said:

If we rated him higher than Weideman we would’ve drafted him. I knew of 2 clubs that didn’t think he was a flight risk to Carlton and would’ve taken him had he fallen to them.

Credit to Carlton, they drafted 2 players and spent the time and effort required to develop them into Coleman Medallist’s. They had the requisite skills and make up but Carlton did something right.
 

We went with a guy who was very highly regarded as a 16year old and injured a lot in top age but ticked every box from a personality perspective except for perhaps competitiveness. 

That reminds me - didn’t he miss quite a bit of time with some sort of hip / pelvis injury? 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Braahtn to Sandy - you could almost risk one of the EVs without too much range anxiety, if driven carefully. 

That reminds me - didn’t he miss quite a bit of time with some sort of hip / pelvis injury? 

Yes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

Did you play VFL Picket?

Snuck a few under 19 games VFL, VAFA, made state squad vs S.A. not quite tall enough, but had some tricks as a HFF loved a goal or more, hungry mongrel, hated passing it of to lesser lights who I couldn't trust to finish!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    HALF FULL by KC from Casey

    It was a case of the Casey Demons going into a game with a glass half full in their match up against the Brisbane Lions at Casey Fields on Saturday. As the list of injured and unavailable AFL and VFL listed players continues to grow and with Melbourne taking all three emergencies to Perth for the weekend on a “just in case” basis, its little brother was always destined to struggle. Casey was left with only eight AFL listed players from who to select their team but only two - an out-of-form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demons return to the MCG to take on the Saints in Round 11 on the back of two straight losses in a row. With Jake Lever out with concussion who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 55

    PODCAST: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 20th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Demons disaapoiting performance against the Eagles at Optus Stadium in Round 10. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 29

    VOTES: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 35

    POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Many warned that this was a danger game and the Demons were totally outclassed all game by a young Eagles team at Optus Stadium in Perth as they were defeated by 35 points.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 369

    GAMEDAY: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    It's Game Day and the Demons have returned to the site of their drought breaking Premiership to take on the West Coast Eagles in what could very well be a danger game for Narrm at Optus Stadium. A win and a percentage boost will keep the Dees in top four contention whilst a loss will cast doubt on the Dees flag credentials and bring them back to the pack fighting for a spot in the 8 as we fast approach the halfway point of the season.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 884

    WARNING by William from Waalitj

    As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a  danger game awaits. The locals are no longer the easybeats who stumbled, fumbled and bumbled their way to the good fortune of gathering the number one draft pick and a generational player in Harley Reid last year. They are definitely better than they were then.   Young Harley has already proven his worth with some stellar performances for a first year kid playing among men. He’s taken hangers, k

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 22

    OVER YET? by KC from Casey

    The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter. I suppose that since the game had to produce a result (a tie would have done the game some justice), the four points that went to Casey with the win, were fully justified because they went to the best team. In that respect, my opinion is based on the fact that the Blues were a lopsided combination that had

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    CENTIMETRES by Whispering Jack

    Our game is one where the result is often decided by centimetres; the touch of a fingernail, a split-second decision made by a player or official, the angle of vision or the random movement of an oblong ball in flight or in its bounce and trajectory. There is one habit that Melbourne seems to have developed of late in its games against Carlton which is that the Demons keep finding themselves on the wrong end of the stick in terms of the fine line in close games at times when centimetres mak

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...