PREGAME: Rd 01 vs Western Bulldogs

11 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Tired of Chandler being gifted games. Lucky to be sub.

Hore and Kozzie for Bowey and Laurie.

Bbb or Fullerton for Schache.

Chandler has been gifted games because of his early season 23 form, but his form dropped and he should now spend time at Casey trying to regain it.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, kev martin said:

Huge isn't it.

The halfback stocks are dwindling. 

I'd be tempted to play Spargo back there. Fast, can put pressure on opps, has a good kick, loves spreading to get away from the opps. Not kicking enough goals, and plenty of small forwards to choose from.

Spargo for the big men's club!

There are plenty of words to describe Spargo. 

I’m not sure “fast” is one of them.

• Like 5

History says we do not make heaps of changes.

Bowey provided run off half back. So Salem back although he was good as a mid.

Fullarton for Schache. Don't be surprised if BB is brought in. Although Fullarton should be in the team IMO.

Kosi in for Laurie.

Maybe Sestan, AMW or K Brown in for either Chandler or Spargo. Likely Chandler.

We can say K Brown is to light but that did not stop Bowey playing in a premiership team.

It's a waiting game on some of our injured players to come back. 

• Like 2

On 08/03/2024 at 20:43, DubDee said:

The only good thing about last night is we won’t ever see Schache is a Demons jumper again. No idea how he continually fools people at training. He has zero intensity and it spreads through the group. 

No offence to the bloke, i’m sure he’s a nice guy, just not cut out for footy

Weideman also a lovely guy and has skills but Schache was IMO a like for like replacement.  

On 09/03/2024 at 07:57, adonski said:

I'd play BBB for no other reason than to protect JVR

Not so much to protect directly but to divert opposition.   A solo tall doesn’t work. 

11 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

There are plenty of words to describe Spargo. 

I’m not sure “fast” is one of them.

“Tall” is another one.  Could he bustle and contest marking against a mobile HF?

4 hours ago, Roost it far said:

Pickett will help, I really hope Fullerton is selected as Schache doesn’t have it. Just maybe we’ll play more like the Carlton practice match and have a comfortable win…..one can dream!

Kicking low into the forward line worked well a week ago but Thursday they reverted to the bomb it long and high mantra.  Why?  Can’t they concentrate long enough?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, monoccular said:

Kicking low into the forward line worked well a week ago but Thursday they reverted to the bomb it long and high mantra.  Why?  Can’t they concentrate long enough?

No defensive running to clog the fwd line and lesser intensity means we can execute better in the praccy games

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

On 08/03/2024 at 16:42, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

MRO report is out and much to my surprise, Spargo was not cited. Nor was any other Melbourne player. Apparently Spargo's actions didn't even warrant a comment from the MRO. 

He wore a Maynard mask!

• Haha 5

On 09/03/2024 at 12:07, Bitter but optimistic said:

There are a number of good reasons for BBB's inclusion.

His forward play nous and experience. His reliable kicking. The fact he will draw defenders and thus take the focus off JVR and frittata.

However, given his age and wonky knees, the big question is whether he has the fitness and durability to run out a game at AFL level.

Hopefully the coaching staff have and accurate and reliable take on this.

Played a full game the other night uncle and kicked 2 but did'nt look unfit just a bit rusty.. Time to Roll the dice for the reasons you so eloquently alluded to😇

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

On 07/03/2024 at 22:27, monoccular said:

Schacke out for Fullerton (or Verrall even?)

Laurie out for Kozzie

Spargo out for Billings

Fullerton pls but still not expecting a massive uplift.

How far off, if at all, is BB?  Has the surgeon worked a miracle?

Yes to the rest.  Laurie & Spargo were woeful and SHOULD be having a VERY difficult time getting back into this squad instead of being gifted games.  Same with Chandler.  Hasn't hit any form to suggest he is worthy since early 23.

I would start blooding Moniz & Woe (once fully fit & in form) ahead of Chandler & Laurie.  Give them a decent block of games to try and find there feet.

I seriously don't see how Spargo  gets back into this team IF Billings & / or Woe step up and start showing something.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

On 09/03/2024 at 14:41, Dave1711 said:

TMac for Schache

Kozzie for Chandler

Laurie for Billings

also Spargo out

Schache and Laurie shouldn’t be picked again

You mean Billing’s for Laurie!! 

I just don't understand why we ever just bomb it long.  We of all teams know this doesn't work, we have tried it so many times, never effective.  

Max getting beaten most of the night too...how come he didn't just adapt his own style?

That's what I notice most of all when we lose, we don't adapt, even if something isn't working it's like someone on the sidelines is there saying "no we're not changing tactics, just give it more time, maybe it will work this time"...almost like someone with a gambling problem at a poker machine..."just one more try I reckon I'll hit the jackpot this time"

Having said that I hadn't actually watched the game until yesterday, was travelling at the time, it didn't look as horrible as most have been suggesting.  Sure it was rubbish, but there are some good signs in there too.  Just need a proper forward line still (same old) and seriously Laurie/Chandler/Spargo they are not up to AFL level please don't play them again.

I'm sure it would be a very different look too if most of our forwards weren't injured :( When do we expect McAdam ready?

Edited by Young Angus

5 minutes ago, Bystander said:

I think there is a rule somewhere saying you can't say "Goodwin out".

I take it back, but I wouldn't mind seeing the coach do a bit more "adapting" when things aren't going our way.  We seem to just keep banging our heads against the brick wall and just hope.

I would just like to see our proper forwards back from injury, ffs it'd be nice to be able to use the guys we want to use like McAdam and Petty.  Bit sad we can't yet, and very frustrating. 

On 09/03/2024 at 15:28, Dannyz said:

I think Dermott nailed it when he described Schache as wanting to win contest in the least physical way possible. 

Jefferson has schache well and truly covered in that department.

7 minutes ago, Bystander said:

Jefferson has schache well and truly covered in that department.

Hooray, glad we got him then.  Is Jefferson any consideration at the moment or is he really just not competitive enough yet?

Out - Laurie, Spargo, Schache, Bowey

In: Billings, Kozzy, Fullerton, Woey/Hore

Would love Tholstrup to come In against hawthorn. Of course if fit enough. Rather now then end of the year. Build some confidence.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Young Angus said:

I just don't understand why we ever just bomb it long

There's no way Goodwin is telling the players to bomb it in.  Rather it's a symptom of our inability to move the ball quickly or efficiently which creates a congested forward line.  When there's no free players you have no choice but to bomb it in.

Edited by greenwaves

1 hour ago, Demongirl35 said:

Would love Tholstrup to come In against hawthorn. Of course if fit enough. Rather now then end of the year. Build some confidence.

Think he will get his chance, but probably not great to bring too many new players in at once.

You might have the changes correct.

2 hours ago, Demongirl35 said:

Yep agreed

Don't love that Fullarton hasn't played much leading up but unlike Billings they probably won't be as conservative with him in terms of coming into new team structure/game plan. His role will be more simply be as a lead up forward/ruck. 

I'd love to be wrong about Laurie but he just doesn't look up to AFL standard. Not a clear enough role/niche to really cement himself and as a midfielder looked overwhelmed last week. I've much preferred what I've see from Taj when he's come in playing a similar role.

Spargo seems a coaching department favourite but he looked so so rusty on Thursday night. I know most of the team did in the conditions but he just looked way off. Love the idea of Billings coming to the starting squad and really cementing that half-forward role. We're desperate for his best ball use (crossing fingers)

Cannot wait to see Kozzy in that opening bounce!

Edited by Young Blood

1 hour ago, greenwaves said:

There's no way Goodwin is telling the players to bomb it in.  Rather it's a symptom of our inability to move the ball quickly or efficiently which creates a congested forward line.  When there's no free players you have no choice but to bomb it in.

Yet the rated teams often find free options laterally or behind the ball maintaining possession for a bit longer on occasions.

They have patience and maintain momentum (the ball), waiting for an oportunistic lead or a free to present.

Whereas we seem to be in an almighty rush to mostly play on in straight lines and when we can't see an option, just lob it to the hot spots.

You're allowed to stop, prop or ring around and hit targets on angles other than what's immediately ahead of you if nothing obvious presents.

Even a long backwards handball might be enough to give the receiving team mate the extra time/space needed (and a forward the same) to put a nicely timed pass in to a nicely timed lead.

The Cats have been doing that for eons with Hawkins and to a lessor degree the Crows with Tex.

Having said that, they also make sure the leading lanes arent overly clogged (much of the time not always... no one is perfect) by having mediums and any non crumbing smalls leading out wide or up at the ball (early).

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Young Angus said:

Hooray, glad we got him then.  Is Jefferson any consideration at the moment or is he really just not competitive enough yet?

I was trying to say that Jefferson is even less physical than schache. 

And he is nowhere near competitive enough to be considered.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 09/03/2024 at 12:48, DeeSpencer said:

The resting ruck most often being LJ who could move like a flanker at ground level and one of the key forwards being T Mc who couldn't pressure in tight but would always cover off as well as lead hard up the ground.

I think barring the sudden emergence of a genuinely mobile key forward we've got the right balance with just 2 talls alongside Fritsch and Petracca forward quite a bit. At least until we see if Fullarton really is super mobile. I think he's mobile for a second ruck rather than Jacko level freakish.

Plus I just can't see any possibility where BBB coming off yet another injury is right after 1 practice match. Last year he looked shot half way through the second quarter in every game he played, let's give him at least a week, most likely a month at Casey so he can stay healthy and build touch.

And it's not like we aren't making changes. Fullarton, PIckett, a full game of Salem in the midfield and most importantly something that might resemble proper football weather rather than a swamp could all work wonders before we reach for the BBB emergency siren.

If that’s the only changes you are suggesting, then we are no chance this weekend, leaves Spargo, Chandler and/or Laurie still in the side. If that’s the case, we are cooked