PRESEASON TRAINING: Friday 1st December 2023

Demonland

2 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

Great work thanks W'dee!

Any of the players in noticeably different positions in match sim - or too hard to tell.

I'm confident T-Mac won't play down back again unless filling in.

He’ll have to be down back, there’s just too many forwards, can’t have them all playing in the same forward line for Casey, there’s BBB fullarton Shace, Jefferson and Tmac, would be a waste for one of them not to become a key defensive backup. We have Roo and Petty as the AFL starting full forwards so all in all that’s way too many 

Edited by Jeremy
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, adonski said:

Rivers with the backs or mids?

Backs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now everybody’s favourite push ups

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vomit 1

46 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Is Petty in a moonboot?

Is Fritta there?

Petty not in a moonboot, but not training. New attendees today - Schache, B Brown and Melksham doing exercises with Jack McLean the physio. Apparently training will be at Gosch's on Monday before they head to Casey for the remainder of the year. Clayton doing his run throughs again - will probably re-join the main group before Christmas.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Hawk the Demon said:

Petty not in a moonboot, but not training. New attendees today - Schache, B Brown and Melksham doing exercises with Jack McLean the physio. Apparently training will be at Gosch's on Monday before they head to Casey for the remainder of the year. Clayton doing his run throughs again - will probably re-join the main group before Christmas.

Non-attendees so far this week - Chandler, May, Viney, Brayshaw, Kosi, Langdon, Tomlinson and Smith.

Assume will all be there on Monday, other than Joel of course.

• Like 2

Well that’s it hope you enjoyed my report any questions just fire away 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 10
  • Love 4

18 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

He’ll have to be down back, there’s just too many forwards, can’t have them all playing in the same forward line for Casey, there’s BBB fullarton Shace, Jefferson and Tmac, would be a waste for one of them not to become a key defensive backup. We have Roo and Petty as the AFL starting full forwards so all in all that’s way too many 

I just think he's a bit past it being down back

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

Well that’s it hope you enjoyed my report any questions just fire away 

Thanks so much for the report Werridee. A bit disappointed to hear Langdon not there, I think he Sparrow, Spargo, Chandler and Joel Smith have the most to lose with who we have recruited and with Howes showing form. But time will tell I guess how much he wants the wing. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

I just think he's a bit past it being down back

I agree. You need more speed down back

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WERRIDEE said:

Clarry just told me he’s a month til full training 

So basically post the Christmas break, which is pretty good. Shouldn't impact his season.

35 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Didn't he just have some work done on his knee?

Yes he had a minor knee operation

7 minutes ago, SPC said:

A bit disappointed to hear Langdon not there, I think he Sparrow, Spargo, Chandler and Joel Smith have the most to lose with who we have recruited and with Howes showing form. But time will tell I guess how much he wants the wing. 

Langdon is one of the fittest guys in the team. He is also someone who very much values and needs his time away from footy. Mental recovery is just as important for this guys as physical recovery. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 3

40 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Agreed.

T Mac should be hunting down Tomlinson's spot as the second key defender behind May, with Lever taking the oppo's #3. Otherwise he plays VFL based on his finals performances up forward this year.

Nothing ever good results from only having 2 tall defenders. Refer the Essendon gather round game where their resting rucks kicked goals on us, and the Pies week 1 final where McStay got a hold of us.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dropped in for a quick 30 minute visit while they happened to be doing match-sim for the bulk of that time.

General Observations:
– Quite open play with lots of kicking to targets both short and long
– Coaches pushing for the kicker to follow-up and connect / overlap which happened more frequently after a bit of fatigue had set in
– Good quality kicking and marking with the odd longer kick missing the target (bit blustery out there so forgivable) 

Player Observations:
– Impressed by almost all of our tall young players getting involved in the match sim at certain times
– Verrall and Adams did some good things and had some nice touches
– Farris-White is a beast and didn’t look out of place
– Jefferson did some good things and was quite amongst it to begin with, faded a bit towards the end. Did well in the earlier ‘marks-up’ one-on-one where he either beat or neutralised against JVR, Turner and one other tall (can’t recall who). He was quite agile in these marking attempts and got busy even if out of position to make a contest, he looks to be building to me  
– Fullarton looks a player as well
– McVee, Bowey, Woey, Laurie, Rivers all getting touches and trying to link up through the middle
– TMac playing as the last defender did an impressive job and his kicking was good too
– All the new draftees don’t look too light in terms of body shape at all
– Trac looks like a cat on a hot tin roof when he gets the footy, just electric feet
– JVR looks primed and just doesn’t give in. Took a few nice grabs and just competes non-stop
– Gawn looks fit, fresh and healthy. Took a few nice grabs as well and was actually jumping

And lastly Tim Lamb was walking around the boundary with a big tall kid – who else but Kalani White. Looks like he was there for a bit of a meet and greet / orientation of sorts as he was introduced to Andrew McQualter.

Go Dees.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 12
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

41 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Do you think FW has put on some muscle.

He needs at least 15-20 kgs of muscle developed, I would guess.

You trying to turn him in to Mick Nolan?

He needs a few more kgs but not that many in this day and age. He was listed at 92kg last year, I’d be surprised if he’s not 100kg by now with an eventual aim to be around 110kg max.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A big thanks to WERRIDEE love the blow by blow reporting style and hearing how each player is performing against their opponents also WCW snippets and Hawk T D and DemonW overviews. Another great Training Reports day. Who’s performance has surprised you the most??

• Like 5
  • Love 1

57 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

Great work thanks W'dee!

Any of the players in noticeably different positions in match sim - or too hard to tell.

I'm confident T-Mac won't play down back again unless filling in.

The thought of Tmac trying to bite of yet another high risk kick from defence and giving straight back to the oppo gives me cold sweats.

For anyone thinking he would be a good option down back please remember the reason he went forward in the first place - it was last chance saloon for him because he was such a turnover merchant down back.

Tmac was gonski if he couldn't make it as a forward. 

Also Tmac has never been quick or super agile.

Lack of pace and agility for a key defender is a killer and he ain't got any quicker or agile since 2018. 

That said a good swing man option.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

McVee Howes and Turner kicking in a triangle the rest having shots on goal

The public should be forewarned about Dees having goal kicking practice especially during peak hour traffic.

Sherrin footys will be flying in all directions one might crash straight through your windscreen.

• Haha 6