Hot Future Forwards

tallstuey

1 hour ago, BaliDemon said:

‘Selling the farm’ for McStay? Pies paid nothing but cash for him as a free agent. 

Every side does have strengths and weaknesses. Ours are clearly in our front half. If we don’t address them this off season, after two years of finals failure, we deserve everything that’s coming to us in 2024. 

You are placing waaaay too much faith in a 20yo/28 gamer Van Rooyen. Still 2-3 years of development away from establishing himself at AFL level, particularly against the best fullbacks. He was nowhere to be seen against Collingwood in the QF. 

C'mon the pies pay unders because they're a big club, always have.  If we were trying to get McStay we would have to pay more (and it's harder for us compared to pies / tiges / blues etc to entice the big fish in the first place).

Maybe McStay isn't the best example - but that's not the point.  Who are the "options out there" that you mention?  I used McStay because he was "the best" key forward that moved last year and is hardly A grade.

I agree that JVR is still a way off - but if he has Petty there, ideally a resting ruck/forward from time to time then it's less of an issue and allows him to develop quicker.  Against the pies, it was him and TMac (who looks done) and Fritsch was coming back from injury.  He looked great when Petty was in the same forward line.

Not saying in an ideal world we wouldn't get another ready made key forward.  Just saying to get one that is better than what we have will cost (a lot) and may reduce our ability to address what i think are greater needs - backup ruck or ruck/forward and some pace and class in the middle.

So who are the options?

• 8 months later...

Pies once again into a big name player that fits a perfect need for us, while meanwhile we're busy in the background just hussling up this war cheat for Rory Lobb.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Pies once again into a big name player that fits a perfect need for us, while meanwhile we're busy in the background just hussling up this war cheat for Rory Lobb.

If we get Lobb I’m done 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jeremy said:

If we get Lobb I’m done 

Schacke with a hair do !

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

We can't seriously be considering Lobb.

Schache, Fullo and then Lobb!!??

Club will have completely lost its marbles if it's making a play here.

It would appear the hard edge that Roos & PJ brought in is sadly being slowly flushed down the dunny off the field and based on the last month of footy, now on the field.

One can only hope Taylor and Lamb haven't caught the "[censored] the bed" bug!

• Clap 1
  • Angry 1

13 hours ago, John Demonic said:

Are we not one of the clubs throwing a big offer at Logan McDonald? I don't know how realistic a move is so just popping the question, as i cbf creating a Logan McDonald Thread.

Totally agree! Why is it that we are rarely in the question when it comes to chasing players that would fit our needs? Taylor and Lamb have some serious questions to answer. It wasnt that long ago that we were all touting our recruitment team as top notch, but they seem to have really dropped the ball in recent times.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 19/09/2023 at 20:27, RalphiusMaximus said:

I don't think you need to write off the forwards on our list quite yet.  JVR and Jefferson are both quality young players.  They just need another couple of years to build their bodies and turn into AFL footballers.  I would expect Jefferson to play in the seniors at some point next year.  His mobility and athleticism are a good foil for JVR.  If we use Petty as the primary KPF, they could both work off him and impact games.  

That being said, the elephant in the room is that our forward line problems aren't about the players.  It's all about the gameplan, or more accurately, the lack of a plan to score goals.  We default to either a bomb to the "hot spot" or a chip to the pocket, two spectacularly low-percentage plays.  Our forwards don't move, they don't work for each other, they have no tactics in use to create space for each other so we can take marks in threatening positions.  This is entirely on the coaches and it needs to be addressed far more than whether we have the players.  

The highlighted bit is worth a bump - forward and forward entry game plan is killing our chances and our fan base. 
We have many of the cattle, but no plan or no workable one.  😧😮😢

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

I was thinking of forwards at Casey. We recruited Fullarton from Brisbane who didn't seem to want him. He had been on their list for 3 years without a game in the seniors. He was easily our best forward last week at Casey I think he got 3 goals. He is 25 It is time to play him against North. If not then why is he on our list? He is way better than Jefferson. Never a better time, we are playing the last team on the ladder with one win.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 2

46 minutes ago, old dee said:

I was thinking of forwards at Casey. We recruited Fullarton from Brisbane who didn't seem to want him. He had been on their list for 3 years without a game in the seniors. He was easily our best forward last week at Casey I think he got 3 goals. He is 25 It is time to play him against North. If not then why is he on our list? He is way better than Jefferson. Never a better time, we are playing the last team on the ladder with one win.

Agree @old dee, change it up a bit Simon. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

20 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:
1 hour ago, old dee said:

Couldn’t agree more why did we recruit Fullerton,play him and send Petty to the backline or Casey. Unlike Petty and JVR he is a ruckman. Leave JVR deep in the forwardline to take marks, crash packs and kick goals. Aces in their places. Wish we would stop trying to turn defenders into forwards and forwards into rucks. 

Don’t get me started on extending Schache for a year after being an unused sub in a final. Our list management and player management ( whether it be injury or form) has been a huge disappointment.  Start integrating some of the Casey players into the team over the remainder of the season. See if they can be part of the solution going forward, stop recycling players that are quite frankly a part of the problem. 

1 hour ago, old dee said:

I wouldn't be against this OD. Play Van Rooyen, Petty and Fullarton and see how the latter two compete for one of our two KPF positions. While Petty has shown glimpses of what he put on show last year the sample so far raises questions re whether he cam play the role. We recruited Fullarton to play Forward / Ruck but haven't seen what he can do at AFL level despite our forward line not firing.

Also I reckon we need to look at playing McVee in the midfield. With Bowey and Salem both in the side and Lever coming back in we can cover for him in the backline. I reckon his decision making, ball use and speed will improve the balance of our midfield. I'd prefer we play Rivers off the backline as his intercepting, speed and long kick are more useful getting the ball from the back half into the front half rather tham finding targets in close.

• Like 1

On 14/06/2024 at 21:52, John Demonic said:

Are we not one of the clubs throwing a big offer at Logan McDonald? I don't know how realistic a move is so just popping the question, as i cbf creating a Logan McDonald Thread.

If we had Sydney's midfield and system going inside 50, we wouldn't need him.

No one would be talking about how poor our forward line was and JVR, Fristch, Pickett and hell maybe even Petty would be looking like superstars.

How many here would have said yes to Tom Lynch if he was available?
Anyone see how ineffectual he was last night when Richmond were getting it in slow and high to him, just like we do?

Our midfield is what needs all the attention.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, JTR said:

If we had Sydney's midfield and system going inside 50, we wouldn't need him.

No one would be talking about how poor our forward line was and JVR, Fristch, Pickett and hell maybe even Petty would be looking like superstars.

How many here would have said yes to Tom Lynch if he was available?
Anyone see how ineffectual he was last night when Richmond were getting it in slow and high to him, just like we do?

Our midfield is what needs all the attention.

Goal Target GIF by Drawify