2024 AFL National Draft prospects: The next batch

BJ Wigglesworth reporting Kangas are smitten with Tauru and the Eagles are linked to Draper. No update on Richmond but not dispelling the Lalor links.

The Eagles could potentially risk a trade down, I don’t think North could, the risk of a team picking Tauru or coming up to snag him would terrify them.

Crows would have their choice of FOS, Langford and perhaps Jagga or even Armstrong and we’d go next.

One of FOS or Langford would be a nice result.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, RedFox said:

Not sure why there isn't more talk of Josh Smillie at 5, he looks a bit of a unicorn no? Interviewed on SEN and said he models his game on Cripps - the similarities are uncanny.

Has potential due to his size, but there's a few red flags IMO.

He lacks intensity at times, and it's common to see him pushed off the ball by kids 10-15 cms and kgs smaller than him. When they played SA, Draper made him look like a clown tbh, repeatedly shoving off him and bursting away from stoppages. Despite his big frame and midfield projection, he actually played better as a loose half back flanker last year and impacts games most as a link up player with good mid range kicking. He doesn't have power bursting out of stoppage like a Cripps or Petracca do either. It's interesting how he's being described as a midfield beast, but I don't see it and think it's purely a media narrative due to his 194cm size.

Some clubs might think he could become a Cripps type, but I have my doubts and would be disappointed if we took him at 5. Players like Langford, Lalor, and Draper all look to have more potential as midfielders. Smillie projects as a similar inside built type to Langford, but lesser in basically every way other than a few cms height.

Langford wins more disposals both contested and uncontested, clearances, marks, goals, tackles etc and is 190cms too. 

Lalor is far more powerful and potent, and if he can build fitness could be a Dusty/Trac type mid-forward.

Draper has more speed, agility, skill, ball winning ability, but hits the scoreboard less. He's the most rounded but less x-factor due to lack of forward craft like Lalor and Langford (and Smillie). He's the quick skilled mid if that's our need.

I expect O'Sullivan and Smith to be gone by our pick, but O'Sullivan looks to goods as the most rounded midfielder IMO.

Edited by Lord Travis
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, RedFox said:

Not sure why there isn't more talk of Josh Smillie at 5, he looks a bit of a unicorn no? Interviewed on SEN and said he models his game on Cripps - the similarities are uncanny.

Started the year very well but had a poor champs and trailed off as the season went. Statistically ended up having a worse year at both Coates league and champs last year which are big red flags. Was linked to Box Hill who have a strong side but never got a VFL game which honestly is AFL draft system malpractice. Work rate is iffy, ball use is iffy, doesn’t mark the ball like a 194cm player should.

Cripps is a beast but he’s had to do a power of work to keep up with afl speed and skills. A Cripps close without the two way running and with lesser skills is a liability.

Maybe Smillie just wasn’t challenged enough and got complacent after being the number 1 pick in May but I’m not sure I’m risking a top 6 pick to find out.

• Like 2

Just had a quick draft review based on Cal Twomey's latest ratings, to see where we might land with pick 5 (6)

1. Brisbane - Ashcroft

2. Richmond - Langford

3. North Mlb - Armstrong

4. West Coast - Smith

5. Adelaide - O'Sullivan

6. Melbourne - Choice of Reid, Lalor, Smillie or Draper (looks pretty good draft for us)

Thoughts ?

Cal Twomey's Phantom Form Guide: Top draft prospects' September ranking (afl.com.au)

1 hour ago, Viscount Cardwell said:

Just had a quick draft review based on Cal Twomey's latest ratings, to see where we might land with pick 5 (6)

1. Brisbane - Ashcroft

2. Richmond - Langford

3. North Mlb - Armstrong

4. West Coast - Smith

5. Adelaide - O'Sullivan

6. Melbourne - Choice of Reid, Lalor, Smillie or Draper (looks pretty good draft for us)

Thoughts ?

Cal Twomey's Phantom Form Guide: Top draft prospects' September ranking (afl.com.au)

Those are Cal's ratings independent of who is picking, it's not his Phantom Draft. There's two different perspectives, his raw rankings which that is and his intel on who clubs will take - his Phantom Draft which doesn't come out until days before the draft and is uncannily accurate. They usually don't have the same ordering.

Edited by old55
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RedFox said:

Smillie was probably top 3 at the start of the year.  But he slightly underperformed and has slipped. I still have him at pick 10 in phantom draft so likely Saints or Bombers will be the likely suitors.  He can kick it 55 metres, inside contested midfielder, big 193cms lad, strong.  But it’s his intensity and defensive efforts that were being evaluated and questioned.  

I'm interested in any defenders we can take with our second, third or fourth round picks.

Having read some phantom drafts there seems be some good tall defenders but more the intercepting type. I'm thinking more about the strgoner 1 on 1 defenders to groom as a replacement for May.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, seventyfour said:

I'm interested in any defenders we can take with our second, third or fourth round picks.

Having read some phantom drafts there seems be some good tall defenders but more the intercepting type. I'm thinking more about the strgoner 1 on 1 defenders to groom as a replacement for May.

I think Dees are really hoping Adams develops more but he’s going to take time and is still a 50:50 bet right now.  In this years draft crop , another young WA boy, Clancy Dennis was CHB in the All Australian under 18s.  He reminds of Sam Taylor from GWS (in playing style, not looks). Dennis is a good mark, spoils well and is mobile.  At 195cms, his competitive nature allows him to compete against bigger forwards.  Again he’s needing two years of development before assuming any key defender role.  He’s probably around pick 50 in my rankings.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I think Dees are really hoping Adams develops more but he’s going to take time and is still a 50:50 bet right now.  In this years draft crop , another young WA boy, Clancy Dennis was CHB in the All Australian under 18s.  He reminds of Sam Taylor from GWS (in playing style, not looks). Dennis is a good mark, spoils well and is mobile.  At 195cms, his competitive nature allows him to compete against bigger forwards.  Again he’s needing two years of development before assuming any key defender role.  He’s probably around pick 50 in my rankings.  

We have been watching him through the year, he has plenty of upside as he’s fairly new to KPD, 2023 got moved there at WAFL was previously played in Ruck by especially at PSA level with Christchurch. WAFL Colts grand final from this year is worth a watch for his 1v1 work.

Younger brother Elijah also a very good KPD who will likely play as an underager in next years national championship 

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 3

With the father son and academy picks being high quality youngsters, I think there will be now 28 youngsters in the “first round”.  Who has the picks and where they go is still in the mixing bowl  

This 28 includes:

the standard 18 picks

the 5 likely matched academy & father son picks

the 2 additional picks allocated to the Kangas last year as compensation and in trades by the Roos, and 

the 3 compensation free agent picks allocated to the Giants  (Cumming, Perryman) and Saints (Battle). 

(likely 1st round)

1 Sam Lalor- GWVmid/utility 

2. *** Levi Ashcroft. Mid. ️Brisbane match bid. Father son.

3. Finn O'Sullivan - Oakleigh️mid/utility

4. Harvey Langford- Dandenong️tall mid

5. Sid Draper - Sth Adel ️mid 

6. Jagga Smith - Oakleigh. ️Mid. 

7. *** Leonardo Lombard.️ Mid. Suns match bid - (Academy ). 

8. Xavier Lindsay - Gippslandmid/hbf
9. Luke Trainor -Sandringham.️ Tall fwd/back

10. Josh Smillie -️ Eastern. Tall mid. 

11. Tobe Travaglia - Bendigo. Running mid/hbf.

12. Alix Tauru - Gippsland. tall fwd/back

13. Murphy Reid - Sandringham. Mid.

14. Harry Armstrong - Sandringham. Key fwd

15. Bo Allan - WA. Mid
16.*** Isaac Kako. Small fwd. Calder. Ess match bid. - (Ess NGA) 
17. Taj Hotton - Sandringham. Mid/hff

18. Jobe Shanahan - Bendigo (NSW) . Key fwd
19.*** Sam Marshall. Mid. Sandringham. Lions match bid. - Bris Lions academy

20. Joe Berry - Murray. HFF/mid. 

21. Cooper Hynes - Dandenong - mid/fwd

22. *** Ben Camporeale. Mid. Glenelg SA. Blues match bid. ( father son).

23. Alex Dodson- SA . Ruck

24. Jonty Faull - GWV. Key fwd 

25. Ollie Hannaford - GWV  Small fwd/mid

26. Jack Whitlock - Murray. Key fwd

27. Jesse Dattoli - Northern. Mid/hff
28. Hamish Davis - Claremont WA. Mid/hff
—————————————
Others just on the fringe and likely first picked in the 2nd round are Harrison Oliver (Sandringham. Tall def), Christian Moraes (Eastern. Mid)& Tom Gross (Oakleigh. Mid). 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Hugh Boxshall, big bodied inside mid won the 2km time trial at the WA Combine with a 6.08, will attract some interest with a late/rookie pick

Hugh Boxshall and Jack Ough in the same draft. Let’s get them both. 

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Hugh Boxshall and Jack Ough in the same draft. Let’s get them both. 

Yes I think both would be handy but we are unlikely to have any picks in the suitable range.  Ough showed such improvement that he’s likely to be picked at 35-40 and Boxshall at 50-55.  

57 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Yes I think both would be handy but we are unlikely to have any picks in the suitable range.  Ough showed such improvement that he’s likely to be picked at 35-40 and Boxshall at 50-55.  

I’m thinking pick 69 for both.

32 minutes ago, The Taciturn Demon said:

Did everyone know that was a shocker before the draft? Because that was a shocker. 

Note the year, 2020

Covid made it tough for kids and scouts but it’s still poor considering that 

• Like 3