AFLW: Rd 01 vs Collingwood

DubDee

26 minutes ago, BritishDemonFan said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned here already but saw a post on Reddit that said 8,412 - more than double any other ALFW season opener

I think the AFLW1 lockout opener may have it covered. But since?

12 minutes ago, Webber said:

Brilliant! And deserved. Am I right in thinking Georgie Campbell is ex-Dee Tony Campbell’s daughter? 

Had to watch this with the volume down a little and further away from the tv than usual.

Kept thinking Campbell was Harris and that Harris had somehow turned into Captain Marvel or Super girl.  How was she able to be in so many places!

• Haha 3

Just now, Demon Dynasty said:

Had to watch this with the volume down a little and further away from the tv than usual.

Kept thinking Campbell was Harris and that Harris had somehow turned into Captain Marvel or Super girl.  How was she able to be in so many places!

Shapeshifter

• Haha 2

How good is Kate Roffey?! She saw us (banner crew) waiting on the boundary and she’d only just been given the premiership cup, she made a beeline directly to us. I asked her if we could touch it and she said, HELL YEAH!” She’s a huge fan of the DA and never fails to acknowledge us, no matter the event. She’s the best. 

• Like 11
  • Love 3

2 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

I think the AFLW1 lockout opener may have it covered. But since?

Yeah iirc that got 22,000 people attending. Clearly the novelty factor was in play. 

1 minute ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

How good is Kate Roffey?! She saw us (banner crew) waiting on the boundary and she’d only just been given the premiership cup, she made a beeline directly to us. I asked her if we could touch it and she said, HELL YEAH!” She’s a huge fan of the DA and never fails to acknowledge us, no matter the event. She’s the best. 

The most down to earth President i can recall.   Great smile & personality.

Partial to a frothy or two as well!

Long may she reign

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

I just got home. It’s been such a long day, my feet are killing, I’ve got no voice and I have the mother of all headaches, but none of that matters. Tonight was phenomenal! So proud of this team and thrilled to see them get season 8 off to a flyer. 
❤️💙

• Like 5
  • Love 3

3 minutes ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

But why is the Premiership pennant pink?   Shouldn’t it be red and blue?

The pennant is actually orange. That’s the colour of the AFLW in general, or so I was told when I asked the same question. They were giving out free AFLW scarves that were orange and purple, so I guess that’s the chosen colour scheme. Imho the pennant looked crappy: light orange on a white background, and I reckon a flag would’ve been better. 

• Like 4

This whole thread was so nice to read.  Especially everyone being so negative about the first half, just like always for Demonland!  Feels like things being taken seriously.  Also really happy to see people respecting Paxy!!

Great start to the season ❤💙  unfortunately this week has been a lot of work so I didn't make it to Melbourne, but have caught up after finally wrapping up some client work.

So nice to see the girls flying along early in the season and being responsive to momentum during the game!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

georgia campbell is adrian campbell's daughter, not tony's

That may be so, but either way Georgie’s parents are both Mr and Mrs Campbell. 

• Haha 4

There is a certain level of creep factor to what I am about to say but it’s needed for the comp to get to that ‘analytical level’ we all want it to get to… Eliza M is much stronger through the hips and thighs now with her time in the gym. Very powerful, and I don’t know if that is what they make you do when you break your back but it’s just really good for her footy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, rpfc said:

There is a certain level of creep factor to what I am about to say but it’s needed for the comp to get to that ‘analytical level’ we all want it to get to… Eliza M is much stronger through the hips and thighs now with her time in the gym. Very powerful, and I don’t know if that is what they make you do when you break your back but it’s just really good for her footy.

She is definitely a lot stronger & her kicking has improved.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rpfc said:

In the world of elite sport, that’s just bio-anatomically observant, @rpfc. Same for the men. I reckon the team as a group looked fitter and stronger, almost as if they’d been working to that end! Their running, strength in the aerial contest and physicality in tackling was, to me at least, who went to the first Melb v Bulldogs game at the ‘G, exponentially greater than that of course, and simply better year on year. It’s just so satisfying seeing the comp evolve from its inception, despite the AFL’s half-arsed bet-hedging lack of optimal commitment. I look at Tyla Hanks, who I saw play in her first year (at Victoria Park), when I said to Mrs. Webber (yes, I did), she’ll be a Dees skipper one day, and how she’s now one of the best ‘pure’ footballing talents running around. It’s just plain exciting. Ikon Park (excepting for that big CFC logo) is perfect for AFLW, too. Just like I used to imagine a fully aligned women’s AFL comp, I like to imagine a time when the AFL has the gumption to build an AFLW specific stadium, and have a proper season, not some 10 round tease. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

Awesome performance. Pies will play finals and we blew them away in the second half.

We won’t have a sense of who our challengers are for the flag until a few rounds are played but based on last night we’ve gone up another notch again. good luck rest of the comp.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Webber said:

In the world of elite sport, that’s just bio-anatomically observant, @rpfc. Same for the men. I reckon the team as a group looked fitter and stronger, almost as if they’d been working to that end! Their running, strength in the aerial contest and physicality in tackling was, to me at least, who went to the first Melb v Bulldogs game at the ‘G, exponentially greater than that of course, and simply better year on year. It’s just so satisfying seeing the comp evolve from its inception, despite the AFL’s half-arsed bet-hedging lack of optimal commitment. I look at Tyla Hanks, who I saw play in her first year (at Victoria Park), when I said to Mrs. Webber (yes, I did), she’ll be a Dees skipper one day, and how she’s now one of the best ‘pure’ footballing talents running around. It’s just plain exciting. Ikon Park (excepting for that big CFC logo) is perfect for AFLW, too. Just like I used to imagine a fully aligned women’s AFL comp, I like to imagine a time when the AFL has the gumption to build an AFLW specific stadium, and have a proper season, not some 10 round tease. 

6 from 6 at ikon. It’s our de facto home good. I hate that Carlton logo though. What an eyesore.

• Haha 3

On 8/31/2023 at 4:10 PM, binman said:

I'm going with my daughter. The first time we have gone to a footy match together for over 10 years. 

She hasn't been to an AFLW game and has no interest in the AFL.

Interestingly though she really got into the Women's work cup and went to the fans sites multiple times. Is going to join Melb city women's team as a member such is her new found enthusiasm for soccer.

I say interestingly because when i asked if she wanted to come with me to watch the dees AFLW game tomorrow night i was really surprised when she said yes, and is really keen. I couldn't get her to a game, men's or women's, last season and i have no doubt the experience of being at AAMI park to watch the Matildas is why she is keen to go to a footy match. 

To say we’re all hanging out to hear about young Ms Binners reaction is the understatement of the weekend I reckon. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, McQueen said:

That may be so, but either way Georgie’s parents are both Mr and Mrs Campbell. 

...though not quite so certainly in these here new fangled days?