We've hit 70k Membership

dazzledavey36

25 minutes ago, chookrat said:

For $30 a year I'd implore all of our supporters who can afford it to consider taking out an AFLW membership. Supporting and investing in our womens competition now will contribute in a significant way to our on field success and pay massive dividends in building our womens competition and making us a big destination club.

I wonder if it possible (or even beneficial) if, in the future, for the Melbourne Football CLUB to have a membership that fully covers its three teams - Men, Women and Casey? And from a central pool of membership funds, the club administration distributes the required funds appropriately to each of these teams. It feels logical and reasonable from my moderately informed position, but perhaps there are others who could explain why it couldn't work.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

What is the definition of a 'big club'?

MFC.👍❤️💙

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, DeeZone said:

Probably not Layzie we are the founding club the oldest in the land we have to lead the way as usual, no special benefits like the rest.!!!!

Still the longest competing professional club of any football code in the world I believe.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Congratulations to all at the MFC Board, Players (AFL, VFL and AFLW) and every fan on this magnificent achievement. 

The Strategic Plan aims at 75,000 so we are that close. If we can win our 14th Flag this year it's totally on the cards that we can get to 75/80,000 in the near future. Heady and even more exciting days.

What we need is the extra 5/10,000 each game especially our lower profiled games vs GWS Suns Freo and North to  consolidate this growth.

Our 50,000 average home MCG should be smashed next year and all those reserved seats for sale in the Ponsford Stand will be gone also. Mubb B h to Perty,s drlight.

Big month of September starting tomorrow night with the fantastic record winning AFLW premiership team in the spotlight opening their defence of that great flag just under a year ago. 

Strength  in numbers Dees there are still some fans to join and be rewarded by our major role  and that is to continue to play consistent strong tough and exciting footy that makes us so proud of.our Club.

Go you mighty Dees. Onwards and Upwards. Play with that Demon Spirit and be Possessed!! 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

there are only so many 3-game and pet memberships i can afford 😂

Haha yeah there’s probably 20k in that 70 lol

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

We're officially a big club now

I have a question for the distinguished older Melbourne Demons members and supporters.

Were we ever considered a "big club" in the past?

Were we ever considered "up there" with Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond in regard to size etc?

In particular, I am talking about in the 1950s and 1960s? I know we had large crowds attend games. But did we have large membership numbers back then too? 🤔

Edited by Supreme_Demon
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

I have a question for the distinguished older Melbourne Demons members and supporters.

Were we ever considered "up there" with Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond in regard to size etc?

In particular, I am talking about in the 1950s and 1960s? I know we had large crowds attend games. But did we have large membership numbers back then too? 🤔

nobody had large membership numbers back then

supporters? that's a different story

remember, tickets were cheap and walk up, most venues were full at 20k (or seemed like it) and it was mostly standing room. who needed a membership?

(mcg was different obviously and like chalk and cheese compared to the other suburban grounds)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Pre the Tigers coming to the MCG we always had the biggest crowds simply because going to the MCG and sitting to watch a game was a very rare experience for the supporters of other clubs.

As daisycutter has alluded to it's hard to imagine what comparative "dumps" other grounds were. Remember the MCG had been given a big renovation for the 1956 Olympic Games.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, chookrat said:

For $30 a year I'd implore all of our supporters who can afford it to consider taking out an AFLW membership. Supporting and investing in our womens competition now will contribute in a significant way to our on field success and pay massive dividends in building our womens competition and making us a big destination club.

Wow, I had no idea. My daughter has one but didn't know that was all an upgrade was.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Supreme_Demon said:

50's & early 60's we were the biggest along with Colliwobbles.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Where did everybody go during the dark years? Hawthorn??? 

Even back then we always had an older supporter base. Late 50's & 60's we had a lot of younger supporters but slowly they just gave it up as the team wasn't successful. Great to see so many young faces in the crowd now. Success breeds new supporters.

16 minutes ago, MT64 said:

50's & early 60's we were the biggest along with Colliwobbles.

That was my impression in the early sixties with ‘Esserdon’ perhaps the third most popular. St Kilda were briefly a bit of a glamour club mid-sixties with Carl Ditterich and Ian Cooper taking hangers. 

North, South, Fitzroy, Hawthorn were nobodies and Footscray only existed out west. Dad took me to Glenferrie once and we outnumbered home fans.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GBDee said:

That was my impression in the early sixties with ‘Esserdon’ perhaps the third most popular. St Kilda were briefly a bit of a glamour club mid-sixties with Carl Ditterich and Ian Cooper taking hangers. 

North, South, Fitzroy, Hawthorn were nobodies and Footscray only existed out west. Dad took me to Glenferrie once and we outnumbered home fans.

My impression has always been that we lost a lot of supporters to Hawthorn and Richmond over the years. And probably the Essendon's and Carlton's too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1