Nick Watson

Nascent

Good thread @dazzledavey36

As I've argued elsewhere, we not going to change our playing method unless we change our coach which is unlikely in the medium term.  Our best approach is to upgrade our personnel to maximise the value of our method.  We need more dangerous, damaging forwards.  We need a true tall contested marking threat and that's Harry Petty. We seem to be trying to address the medium forward need with Shane McAdam.

We also need more ground level genuine threat who can convert difficult opportunities in congestion like Kossie.  Chandler is a good player and in a game style like Collingwood's he'd be a very effective weapon but in our game style he's hampered because he doesn't have truly elite skills.

If Nick Watson can transfer his U18 impact to AFL level then I think he's exactly what we need.  Paired with Kossie he'd be an additional threat in our F50 and make Kossie even better.  Yes, I see @Lil_red_fire_engine comment that many of his highlights are marks on a lead, but he also very good at ground level - quick and evasive and is very good kick on both feet - in play and set shot.  The focus would need to be on his ground level impact because clearly he has a separation and marking weapon but that's less functional in our game style.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Lil_red_fire_engine said:

I wouldnt take either of Kade Chandler or Caleb Daniel with a top 10 draft pick.

Yeah I understand the concern mate.

I think with JT being able to identify Kozzie Pickett as a top 10 prospect well before any other recruiters probably gives me confidence?

I know Kozzie was a pick 12 but that's pretty much around the mark and he's only 171cm tall.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Apologies Nas. 

Wasn't sure if there was a thread already 

No dramas at all mate, I rate your footy knowledge so I'm feeling somewhat vindicated in my initial interest in him.

Would love to nab O'Sullivan as well if we can move up the board.

• Love 1

48 minutes ago, Lil_red_fire_engine said:

I wouldnt take either of Kade Chandler or Caleb Daniel with a top 10 draft pick.

I think this is important too. It’s a big risk that high up the draft board. We already get easily beaten in the air across half forward

Chandler is very strong overhead and has played well at times, although he’s hardly having a huge impact each week.

Caleb Daniel plays for a team that’s gameplan is glorified circle work. He’s not being asked to play up forward and be a key scoring target. More relevant to the role is Weightman, I’m not sure many dogs fans value his output highly.

I firmly believe good players can be good regardless but I don’t think our game plan suits a Watson and I don’t know that we do Kozzie any favours either

Edited by BW511

2 minutes ago, Nascent said:

No dramas at all mate, I rate your footy knowledge so I'm feeling somewhat vindicated in my initial interest in him.

Would love to nab O'Sullivan as well if we can move up the board.

Well I know from Murray Bushrangers connections and his dad (we won a flag together) that we've certainly spoken to O'Sullivan (Sully). 

But also do remember nearly 14 other clubs have spoken to him also. Don't be surprised if he jumps into top 10 calculations. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Redleg said:

I think our first pick, if not Reid, should be a May or Lynch type. That to me is the real need.

If we get another high pick then go for the magic.

McAdam will take a hff or fp for a couple of years.

There's no real Tom Lynch type in the draft but certainly O'Sullivan would be the May replacement. 

Sully is your typical country lad who's aggressive at the contest and tough one on one. He has the build to turn into a imposing key back in years to come but also has shown previously that he can swing forward and play as a genuine key forward. 

His skills for such a big fella is really impressive. Uses the footy really well and is composed down back.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

There's no real Tom Lynch type in the draft but certainly O'Sullivan would be the May replacement. 

Sully is your typical country lad who's aggressive at the contest and tough one on one. He has the build to turn into a imposing key back in years to come but also has shown previously that he can swing forward and play as a genuine key forward. 

His skills for such a big fella is really impressive. Uses the footy really well and is composed down back.

I am sold, Sully it is.

8 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I'd go Watson and O'Sullivan, and tempt Tom Lynch over for 2-3 years to partner Petty.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

I'd go Watson and O'Sullivan, and tempt Tom Lynch over for 2-3 years to partner Petty.

I think I'm leaning towards this as well.

Though, my biggest concern still is not addressing our midfield depth still.

Edited by dazzledavey36

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I think I'm leaning towards this as well.

Though, my biggest concern still is not addressing our midfield depth still.

I just wrote to you about this in the other thread mate. I think these concerns are overblown and we'd hope Rivers and Bowey can step into the midfield over the next 18 months. If we can add a Callaghan type, I think we'd have really good balance in there.

Then use the FA window to strengthen our list gap in the 24-27 demo.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BW511 said:

How do the Tigers let Lynch go?

They won’t have a single forward

Use the Hawks model. Bottom out quickly and hope to rise back quickly. They have no decent draft picks this year Lynch and Dusty are the only two older players that would have any trade value. I think it could make sense for all parties. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colm said:

Use the Hawks model. Bottom out quickly and hope to rise back quickly. They have no decent draft picks this year Lynch and Dusty are the only two older players that would have any trade value. I think it could make sense for all parties. 

Exactly. They need picks. I'd happily give them our natural first for Lynch for 2-3 years. Totally worth it if we win 2024 or 2025 IMO.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 2

Nick Watson's Eastern Ranges have just won through to a prelim after knocking over Kynan Brown (& Noah Yze's) Oakleigh in a bit of a thriller.

The Wizard gets at least another week to further his draft stock.  Brown had some good moments and well worth a spot as F/S selection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Love 1

• Demonland changed the title to The Nick 'The Wizard' Watson Thread

If we get GC's pick i am leaning towards Caddy and O'Sullivan. Look like losing Grundy, Tomlinson, Brown has a dodgy knee and May and TMc nudging the wrong side of 30 although could still see a few years yet.

We are getting a small - Brown this draft and he shown trememdous late season improvement.

7 minutes ago, manny100 said:

If we get GC's pick i am leaning towards Caddy and O'Sullivan. Look like losing Grundy, Tomlinson, Brown has a dodgy knee and May and TMc nudging the wrong side of 30 although could still see a few years yet.

We are getting a small - Brown this draft and he shown trememdous late season improvement.

Pick 4 going to the dogs at this stage 

On 9/9/2023 at 11:35 AM, Fat Tony said:

Can he take a hanger? It’s difficult to play as a deep forward without a leap against an AFL zone defence. 

No need to be leaping when you are 170cm. Look how many leaps Kossie has tried snd fsiled in ALL.

That's  not a small forwards tole IMO and Kossie should be instructed to STOP trying MOTCENTURY.

Both he snd Watson's place is down at the front crumbing the packs and then converting goals. 

Leave the big marks to Rooy he will reward us better each year. 

On 9/9/2023 at 4:44 PM, Surfer Dee said:

Massive yes to this guy. Ignore his height, it's never been less important. This kid can dance, makes a moment into something special regularly. Do people think Tom Papley is too short? Or do they hold their breath when he gets near it? The latter imo.

Papley, 177cm. Watson 170cm, fair difference in height, but the kid has good reports. Hope he hasn't reached his ceiling.

Edited by Viscount Cardwell
added content