PREGAME: Rd 15 vs Geelong

Demonland

2 minutes ago, old55 said:

If it comes to pass it's because the FD thinks

Petty back + Smith fwd > Tomlinson back + Petty fwd

I'm sceptical, but others here including @Slartibartfast are in favour.

I'm doubtful of his long term viability but they just can't drop Joel Smith this week after his performance last game. We're crying out for someone in the forward line who can lead up at the ball, hit the contest and provide some tackle pressure. We've tried a stack of options. And Smith has been on the list for years waiting for a sustained go in the side too. 

That might be unfair on Tomlinson, or it might mean Petty has a week in the 2's, but they are the options to me. I certainly prefer Petty and it's up to the footy department to make sure he's 100% ready to go.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Skrull said:

perhaps they thought there was no match up for Thomo down back given the wet conditions and are deciding to go smaller down back . Bowey comes in . Use May and Lever and Hibbo and Rivers on any combination of Hawkins , Cameron , Rohan and Henry . It's a risk but so is playing Thomo . i agree though that he is stiff considering the game he played last week   .

That would 100% be my guess too. 

Tomo would be very stiff to be dropped, but it might well be the oldest reason in footy to be dropped - no clear match up.

I juts checked BOM and atm the forecast is for rain to start falling late arvo, and not stop till late evening. makes three tall defenders a risk i would have thought.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, binman said:

That would 100% be my guess too. 

Tomo would be very stiff to be dropped, but it might well be the oldest reason in footy to be dropped - no clear match up.

I juts checked BOM and atm the forecast is for rain to start falling late arvo, and not stop till late evening. makes three tall defenders a risk i would have thought.

A bigger risk than playing Lever on Cameron? 

25 minutes ago, DubDee said:

We desperately need a mature big body up fwd.  Zero chance of Petty playing back

Stewart will mop up all high entries unless we body him

Going to be a wet night it seems so I think a smaller forward line will be ok.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

A bigger risk than playing Lever on Cameron? 

Lever wont play on Cameron i wouldn't have thought.

I think much more likely is hibbo or rivers given Cameron basically plays a flanker who gets up the ground, rather than a KPF.

Lever can take Rohan if need be.

Just now, binman said:

Lever wont play on Cameron i wouldn't have thought.

I think much more likely is hibbo or rivers given Cameron basically plays a flanker who gets up the ground, rather than a KPF.

Lever can take Rohan if need be.

Can Hibbo keep up with Cameron? What if his injury prone legs give way? 
Also I don’t think Rivers can compete with Cameron in the air. 
Tomlinson would be a good match up for him and if not you have the option of putting May on Cameron and Tomlinson can man up on Hawkins. 
If we drop Tomlinson we don’t have many options unless of course we play Petty in defense again, which goes against what Goodwin has been wanting to do all year. 

I don’t see the logic in not playing Tomlinson, unless we think it’s going to be raining heavily and we know the talls will struggle for both sides so prefer to go smaller and more athletic. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Can Hibbo keep up with Cameron? What if his injury prone legs give way? 
Also I don’t think Rivers can compete with Cameron in the air. 
Tomlinson would be a good match up for him and if not you have the option of putting May on Cameron and Tomlinson can man up on Hawkins. 
If we drop Tomlinson we don’t have many options unless of course we play Petty in defense again, which goes against what Goodwin has been wanting to do all year. 

I don’t see the logic in not playing Tomlinson, unless we think it’s going to be raining heavily and we know the talls will struggle for both sides so prefer to go smaller and more athletic. 

Cameron is not that quick. I can't see Hibbos' pace being an issue.

Personally, i think Cameron would carve Tomo.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, A F said:

I'm in A11. Hopefully you can't hear my commentating from A10.

"Bring it to ground!" "Win ground ball!" "Don't give them a +1 there!" "We've got them here. Great transition." 🤣 

Edited by A F
I'm a cool guy, just quoting myself 👌
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, A F said:

"Bring it to ground!" "Win ground ball!" "Don't give them a +1 there!" "We've got them here. Great transition." 🤣 

One of mine is: "Set the structure" while everyone else around me is yelling to man up 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Clap 1

3 minutes ago, layzie said:

One of mine is: "Set the structure" while everyone else around me is yelling to man up 😄

Oh my God. The 'man up!' one I [censored] hate. I've stopped my family saying it (mostly), because I tell them 'we're playing a zone FFS!' I've no problem telling other Melbourne nuffies around me either. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

2 minutes ago, A F said:

Oh my God. The 'man up!' one I [censored] hate. I've stopped my family saying it (mostly), because I tell them 'we're playing a zone FFS!' I've no problem telling other Melbourne nuffies around me either. 

Thank you! God it is infuriating! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Intriguing selection set for tonight with both teams playing funny buggers with player availability news. 

In fact, I think we really won’t know who’s playing until the teams run out tomorrow night.

I wouldn't be surprised if Clarry is named tonight and is a late out on Thursday. Keep an eye on the Emergencies.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Deebauched said:

Everyone seems daunted by Geelong. Middle ladder GWS beat them at the cattery a few weeks ago. Dangerfield isnt even playing tomorrow.

I will assume Goodwin has taken a very close look at that game.

Probably because they have an 85% win record at GMHBA. I wouldn't be hanging my hat on one against the odds performance (GWS). They play the ground extremely well, irrespective of who they have in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobby1554 said:

Probably because they have an 85% win record at GMHBA. I wouldn't be hanging my hat on one against the odds performance (GWS). They play the ground extremely well, irrespective of who they have in.

An 85% record means a win there is one against the odds?

Dees by 4.5 goals ❤️💙

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

Selection is really intriguing this week. Are we thinking rain so Bowey comes in for Tomlinson or is Petty coming in to play back? I for one wouldn't mind seeing us with Petty, Smith and JVR forward. Confident as you can be of a win down there. I actually think the Cats are cooked.

Edited by Roost it far