PREGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Demonland

55 minutes ago, binman said:

They've won more games than us.

But i'm sorry jaded, suggesting they are I'm much better form than us is not being realistic.

It may be your opinion, but objectively it is simply not true.

One assumes you wouldn’t have said that after we demolished the hawks. 

So by much better form, I assuming you mean the last three games.

Have you watched their last 3 games?

They were scrappy against the blues, lucky to win and the 3 goal margin flattered them with the blues kicking a wasteful 7.15.

They were scrappy against the roos,who put six goals past them in the last quarter to go down by 35 points.

And as I noted above, they were very average against the Eagles who were two down on the bench, and still outscored them in third and won cp and the inside 50 count.

They’ve lost 2 of their last 20 odd games. They are in better form. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

They’ve lost 2 of their last 20 odd games. They are in better form. 

They’ve actually lost 4 in their last 20 games. Still good but let’s not make them sound better than what it actually is 😂.

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

They’ve actually lost 4 in their last 20 games. Still good but let’s not make them sound better than what it actually is 😂.

My apologies, I couldn’t remember the exact number.
But as Goodwin said, they’re the team to beat. 

Are they unbeatable? Of course not. Nobody is. 
But when you’re playing the most in form side in the competition, you need a lot to go right. 
Missing our best or second best (depending on your rankings of Trac and Clarry) player, certainly isn’t a good start. 

Can we win? Of course we can. I’ve seen far greater upsets in my time. But to suggest this won’t be a monumental task, especially missing Clarry and Petty (and yes they also have key players missing, which definitely helps), is blind hope. 

14 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

My apologies, I couldn’t remember the exact number.
But as Goodwin said, they’re the team to beat. 

Are they unbeatable? Of course not. Nobody is. 
But when you’re playing the most in form side in the competition, you need a lot to go right. 
Missing our best or second best (depending on your rankings of Trac and Clarry) player, certainly isn’t a good start. 

Can we win? Of course we can. I’ve seen far greater upsets in my time. But to suggest this won’t be a monumental task, especially missing Clarry and Petty (and yes they also have key players missing, which definitely helps), is blind hope. 

It's not blind hope at all. If we bring our best they can't beat us, it's really that simple.

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, binman said:

They've won more games than us.

But i'm sorry jaded, suggesting they are I'm much better form than us is not being realistic.

It may be your opinion, but objectively it is simply not true.

One assumes you wouldn’t have said that after we demolished the hawks. 

So by much better form, I assuming you mean the last three games.

Have you watched their last 3 games?

They were scrappy against the blues, lucky to win and the 3 goal margin flattered them with the blues kicking a wasteful 7.15.

They were scrappy against the roos,who put six goals past them in the last quarter to go down by 35 points.

And as I noted above, they were very average against the Eagles who were two down on the bench, and still outscored them in third and won cp and the inside 50 count.

There is only one stat that counts binman. Games won. They have only played one of the worst three we have played all three. IMO they are in better form than us. 

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

It's not blind hope at all. If we bring our best they can't beat us, it's really that simple.

Yes. If we bring our third quarter of the grand final type of best, they can’t beat us. Nobody can.

But we haven’t recaptured that form in 18 months. I hope like hell we find it again, but the reality is that at our current form they are a better side than we are, and have been since halfway thru 2022. 

I have everything crossed that it all starts to change come Monday because the really important part of the season is just about to begin. 

Part of winning a flag is luck. If Pies don’t lose to Swans by a point in the prelim I reckon the season ends very differently. Likewise, if we can get our best players on the park at the right times, then anything can happen. 

5 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Yes. If we bring our third quarter of the grand final type of best, they can’t beat us. Nobody can.

But we haven’t recaptured that form in 18 months. I hope like hell we find it again, but the reality is that at our current form they are a better side than we are, and have been since halfway thru 2022. 

I have everything crossed that it all starts to change come Monday because the really important part of the season is just about to begin. 

Part of winning a flag is luck. If Pies don’t lose to Swans by a point in the prelim I reckon the season ends very differently. Likewise, if we can get our best players on the park at the right times, then anything can happen. 

2021 is not relevant anymore. Our best in 23 gets the job done. Combine our first quarter pressure we bought to Hawthorn, the kicking for goal at the start of the season and the defensive set ups of last week and we win. It remains simple. 

6 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Yep

I would add Brown (or even Scache) in for Joel.  Scache can also handle some ruck work in the middle and down forward.  Not bad at ground level either.

Need a KTF lead up to take the heat off JVR and let him roam closer to goal.  Even if Brown or Scache played mostly as a decoy here.

Moore on JVR would be a poor match up for JVR at this early stage and as much as i would love Joel to get another chance, aside from a few contests and tackles, he had very little influence/impact as a 2nd tall forward last week from what i witnessed.

Need another ruck when we have Gawn, Grundy and JVR in forward line? Don't think so.

1 minute ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Apologies if already posted. My Magpies friend reckons Cox has Covid and Daicos and Maynard have the flu.

I mean that definitely wouldn’t be a bad thing….

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, MarkMacca said:

Need another ruck when we have Gawn, Grundy and JVR in forward line? Don't think so.

Schache would be lucky to take 5%-10% as a pinch hitter from his 90% forward role i would think MM.  Just a different look and would allow Grundy/Gawn a small break on the bench.

Might have given the impression i was saying he could take on a ruck type role but certainly not suggesting that if he were to come in.  I doubt he will anyway.

16 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Apologies if already posted. My Magpies friend reckons Cox has Covid and Daicos and Maynard have the flu.

Josh would be a big loss for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Josh would be a big loss for them.

Josh who?

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Sunday teams have been finalised, ours says teams TBA. I thought we’d get an extended squad tonight with the final squad tomorrow.

I believe the final KB teams are usually released around 5pm - 5.50pm on a Saturday DZ but don't hold me to that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

We did not struggle to beat Carlton, that game was never in doubt ......

We didnt struggle...   what bloody game were you watching ??

We struggled to play coherent footy..   we struggled to string 2 recognisable passages of footy together...  fmd...it was hideous to watch.

We won mainly because Carlton are rubbish...  lets not sugar coat our ability, our game,   we won by less than 3 straight kicks.

We'll need to bring a much better game come Monday 

Go Dees 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Demonland said:

I mean that’s awesome. We should definitely rile them up. It’s worked well to date, hasn’t it (cough all duck)

I’d rather be like Mavericks sortie in Top Gun Maverick and let the skills and outcome do the talking. But hey, that’s just me 

2 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Forgive me I'm sure its been posted on here somewhere. But there's a terrific interview Max did with Whateley on SEN this week (search youtube) where Max mentions that the team wouldn't really be chasing the level of form shown in the last 7 odd games of 2021, simply because it was fairly unstoppable football at the highest level and it seems unrealistic to reach that height of play again. But he followed up by mentioning we didn't need to play that extremely high level to win a flag.

Its an interesting perspective and one I think @binman has probably brushed on in different ways. This team has a lot of belief. When we played poorly against Port and home we still found a way to almost snatch the game. When Fremantle found ways to break down our defence (again with us not at our best) we were still in it to win had we kicked straight down the stretch.

I think the reality this season is this team isn't going to be pretty like the 2021 team. Teams last year worked out our method (one being the forward handball out of stoppages) and have greatly reduced our ability to score in quick succession like 2021. We have found different avenues to score while maintaining a top four defense. 

There's been a big focus this season on swinging back momentum in games. The team doesn't panic when the opposition get a run on. They are absorbing that pressure much better and grinding out games knowing they have a fitness level and method that can put them in a winnable position in last quarters.

I think we might be able to win ugly on the weekend. But even if we don't to me it doesn't change the fact this team is building for the back end of the season.

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 7
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, old dee said:

There is only one stat that counts binman. Games won. They have only played one of the worst three we have played all three. IMO they are in better form than us. 

They have played the 2 worst teams in their last two games - and the blues before thst.

Good on em for their three scrappy wins.

They have a better record.

But they are not in MUCH better form than us atm.

If they were they would be much shorter odds than their current quote of 1.74.

• Like 2
  • Love 1