NARRM Set to Return in 2023

Demonland

Our brilliant game is partly an indigenous product of an indigenous culture, every time we honour that fact with recognition, we are telling the truth. Just by the by, totally for this, anywhere I go where the presence of multiple cultures is acknowledged, has always appeared more vibrant and harmonious. 

In my work place there is an incredible amount of tokenism (for us it's 'Orange Day') representing equality for women, and it makes me gag because we have dozens of HR policies that are stuck in the 50's, and I see people dressing up in orange, who are using it as cover, when I know they are misogynistic basterds. Doesn't mean I'm not 100% a feminist, I just don't need to wear orange to make a manager feel good. (caveat: there has been some small progress in my time with the UN)

For me the yardstick is the indigenous community, Narrm is welcomed by our players and the community, then for me that is enough, I have great confidence they would call out BS, if they thought it was.   

PS. ALSO enough already, would Jetta please just come back to Melbourne.

Edited by DEE fence
clarity
  • Like 3
  • Clap 2

7 hours ago, roy11 said:

Last year I wanted a Narrm Beanie, didnt buy online, wanted to buy at the game.

But they weren't available at the game and i was sad with a cold head.

Will be buying a Narrm beanie as soon as they're online to avoid any future disappointment or cold head

They are online now!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

How many rounds are we rebranding for? 

I believe it is only for the Sir Doug Nicholls rounds, that spans 2 rounds so all Clubs have a Home game during that time. During the AFLW  season we also rebrand during the Indigenous Round.

"Narrm will first feature during AFL Round 10, when the club travels to South Australia to face Port Adelaide. The Demons will then return to the MCG to host an historic match between Narrm and Walyalup, with Fremantle Football Club taking on the traditional name for the first time this year".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dworship said:

I believe it is only for the Sir Doug Nicholls rounds, that spans 2 rounds so all Clubs have a Home game during that time. During the AFLW  season we also rebrand during the Indigenous Round.

"Narrm will first feature during AFL Round 10, when the club travels to South Australia to face Port Adelaide. The Demons will then return to the MCG to host an historic match between Narrm and Walyalup, with Fremantle Football Club taking on the traditional name for the first time this year".

So I assume it’s the light blue version to be worn Vs Port and the navy against the Dorkers

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

So I assume it’s the light blue version to be worn Vs Port and the navy against the Dorkers

Also the navy vs GWS in the Alice

• Thinking 1

7 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I think it is only the Indigenous rounds; we didn't wear it to Alice last year.

But I wish we did wear it there every year and wish we played in Alice during the Indigenous round - it would be so fitting.

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

But I wish we did wear it there every year and wish we played in Alice during the Indigenous round - it would be so fitting.

You're right we didn't! I had to check, we all thought it would happen but we went traditional.

2 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I agree. It's weird that our Alice game is not on during the Indigenous rounds. It's even weirder that we don't wear our Indigenous jumper when we play there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jaded No More said:

I agree. It's weird that our Alice game is not on during the Indigenous rounds. It's even weirder that we don't wear our Indigenous jumper when we play there.

Bare minimum we should be wearing the indigenous jumper, it's a no brainer surely?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

Thanks, Wonnabeeri!

But oh no, they've gone for the waffle weave 😫

Why yes, I am hard to please, why do you ask?

You're a stickler for graphic detail DeelightfulPlay! It's your bread and butter! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, layzie said:

You're right we didn't! I had to check, we all thought it would happen but we went traditional.

I'm shocked that you doubted me!!😉😆

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

4 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

2 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Still unconfirmed as yet, but it’s looking likely that we’ll be given the go-ahead to wear it at the Alice game. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

assuming the afl back off their threats

I can’t see why it’s an issue. It makes so much sense to wear it for that match. But it’s the AFL, so who knows?

On 5/3/2023 at 7:28 PM, beelzebub said:

I'm going to be that person who thinks we should just be the Melbourne Football Club.

I'm not a fan of what i brand tokenisms.

Plenty of opportunity to embrace this that and the other. But as the MFC.

Each to their own.  

It will no doubt not sit with some. That's fine.

many here willing to bag you for having an opinion Beelzebub. I happen to agree with you but pity a fellow supporter who may not see the totally altruistic side to this. 

Just now, daisycutter said:

no the threat is of cancelling the game 

That’d be terrible. I don’t think that will happen. But again, it’s the AFL. So again, who knows?

15 hours ago, DEE fence said:

Our brilliant game is partly an indigenous product of an indigenous culture, every time we honour that fact with recognition, we are telling the truth. Just by the by, totally for this, anywhere I go where the presence of multiple cultures is acknowledged, has always appeared more vibrant and harmonious. 

In my work place there is an incredible amount of tokenism (for us it's 'Orange Day') representing equality for women, and it makes me gag because we have dozens of HR policies that are stuck in the 50's, and I see people dressing up in orange, who are using it as cover, when I know they are misogynistic basterds. Doesn't mean I'm not 100% a feminist, I just don't need to wear orange to make a manager feel good. (caveat: there has been some small progress in my time with the UN)

For me the yardstick is the indigenous community, Narrm is welcomed by our players and the community, then for me that is enough, I have great confidence they would call out BS, if they thought it was.   

PS. ALSO enough already, would Jetta please just come back to Melbourne.

I've heard about Marngrook, but I thought our game was the brainchild of this fella (Tom Mills).

Don't get me wrong Australian rules football has and will always be infinitely better for the participation of our indigenous players but not sure there is any tangible evidence for the above claim. If there is I happily stand corrected.

Australian Rules Football history: Founder Tom Wills led an amazing ...

1 minute ago, daisycutter said:

at least it seems to have gone quiet on that front

Everything was booked for the players, staff, families etc. ages ago. The closer it gets to the game, the more likely it’ll go ahead.

Fun Fact: For interstate matches, the MFC doesn’t decide where our players will stay, as in, which hotels. The AFL does. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

That’d be terrible. I don’t think that will happen. But again, it’s the AFL. So again, who knows?

it's more aflnt and the alice springs council

bit of a mess and political bunfight 

latest thing i've seen: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-27/aflnt-football-ban-traeger-park-alice-springs/102271498

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2023 at 1:01 AM, dworship said:

Wondering why the facepalm reaction? Lord Neville is employed as their Forward Development Coach. Yes, he will have an influence on their culture because he is a quality individual. To be fair; CFC have taken steps to address their issues by copying what our Club has been doing for many years. Call me cynical but they didn't want to do those things, they were forced to.

Thanks for your input into the discussion, my comment was about Beelzebub calling what our Club is doing, tokenism. Who knew that you would take aim at my off the cuff comment about Collingwood? Perhaps you need to reassess your comprehension skills and also do a little fact checking before posting.

Go Narrm! Narrm Army! Narrm Army!

Demo Narrmy 👏👏👏 

Demo Narrmy 👏👏👏

etc...

• Like 1
  • Clap 1