2 Brown

3 Gawn

4 van Rooyen

5 Grundy

6 Petty

7 Schache

8 Jefferson

9 Verrall

I think we have pretty good depth all round. We have 7 medium to 8 if you count Turner small backs to pick from. We have 5 key backs to pick from, some may not think Lever is a key back. We have 6 outside mids to pick from. We have 8 inside mids to pick from. The ruck is where we have the least depth with only 3 to pick from. We have 9 medium to small forwards to pick from and we have 7 key forwards to pick from.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

I think we have pretty good depth all round. We have 7 medium to 8 if you count Turner small backs to pick from. We have 5 key backs to pick from, some may not think Lever is a key back. We have 6 outside mids to pick from. We have 8 inside mids to pick from. The ruck is where we have the least depth with only 3 to pick from. We have 9 medium to small forwards to pick from and we have 7 key forwards to pick from.

Spargo kicked 10 goals as a small forward. For all the hype about pressure acts and ball use, on this stat alone he should not be gifted games. Chandler must replace him!

• Like 1
  • Thinking 3

7 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Great depth chart WERRIDEE it has been a great Trade and Draft period for Dees, we now have a better balanced list and Schache provides that extra coverage for CHF, CHB and the third Ruck option. Just need a couple of the kids and younger brigade to take that next step then watch out opposition sides.!!!

Edited by DeeZone
Added depth chart.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, willmoy said:

Common thread that is positive and worth whispering about is a little bird....Viney MK2 ...guess?

Totally agree willmoy I am hoping that he is one of the young brigade that really  steps it up in 2023.!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Its called a depth chart fyi

Yes you are correct rpfc still a bit dozey from Xmas, etc.!!!

What this analysis shows is that we have no gaps or obvious weaknesses anywhere on the field with numerous options and alternatives everywhere.

The cattle are there. It is now up to considered man management, a repeat of the 2021 injury profile and the quality of the coach's decision making to get the best result from this list.

GO DEES

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, tiers said:

What this analysis shows is that we have no gaps or obvious weaknesses anywhere on the field with numerous options and alternatives everywhere.

The cattle are there. It is now up to considered man management, a repeat of the 2021 injury profile and the quality of the coach's decision making to get the best result from this list.

GO DEES

I think we need another Kozzie type.

I know he is a rare player, but his “type” to me is our priority and obviously if he leaves if it will be a major priority.

Toby was looking like our best chance but he is gone, so I would think in the off season it will be our priority.

Our off season this year, has imo potentially solved a few of our problems, in the ruck and key forward and defence positions. Hunter could be a major pick up and Schache could have more impact potentially than Weid.

It’s probably the best list we have had in years.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, picket fence said:

Spargo kicked 10 goals as a small forward. For all the hype about pressure acts and ball use, on this stat alone he should not be gifted games. Chandler must replace him!

Have been thinking along some similar lines. Not that Spargo is unworthy of his place, i just think he represents the most likely possible upgrade within the 22, as he has his limitations. I was hoping Laurie wld be that upgrade but that is TBC. 

Id be happy for Chandler to get a decent run at it though, to see if he can find is feet at AFL level. 

Just think we could improve our team with a more damaging small hf. 

• Like 2

It amazes me that we constantly seek to find a damaging small forward. Kozzie is one, Spargo another but the most damaging forward who plays like a small is Fritsch.

There was a highlights collection on this site recently and most of his goals came from small forward type snaps. What we really need is a more reliable tall, leading and marking forward who can kick straight (BBB?) as well as a pack breaker and ruck pusher (TMac?).

Maybe JVR and a combined Max/Bro can fill the slot.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2022 at 5:33 PM, tiers said:

It amazes me that we constantly seek to find a damaging small forward. Kozzie is one, Spargo another but the most damaging forward who plays like a small is Fritsch.

This is were I can see Sestan pressing for a spot.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 5:07 PM, willmoy said:

Schache to spend the next month watching Kolajasni the cat replays every night..

Schache is not a HB flanker maybe you are thinking Back Pocket?    He may need to just train hard and fit in a team way to get selected in any position. Let's hope he can become a real surprise packet any where for us. No doubt has ability like Weid but needs to produce !!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 58er said:

Schache is not a HB flanker maybe you are thinking Back Pocket?    He may need to just train hard and fit in a team way to get selected in any position. Let's hope he can become a real surprise packet any where for us. No doubt has ability like Weid but needs to produce !!

Thanks 58er, I didn't know where he was playing exactly other than kolajdasni was very damaging in the GF

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 2:58 AM, WERRIDEE said:

Medium\small backs

1. Lever

2. Brayshaw

3. Salem

4. Rivers

5. Bowey

6. Hibberd

7. J.Smith

8. McVee

9. D.Smith

Key backs

1. May

2. Petty

3. Lever

4.Turner

5 McDonald

6. Tomlinson

7. Adams

8. Schache

Outside Mids

1 Langdon

2. Hunter

3. Brayshaw

4. Harmes

5. Sparrow

6. Jordon

7. Woewodin

8. Howes

9. Laurie

Inside Mids

1 Oliver

2 Petracca

3 Viney

4 Brayshaw

5 Harmes

6 Sparrow

7 Jordon

8 Dunstan

Rucks

1 Gawn

2 Grundy

3 Schache

4 Verrall

5 Farris-White

Medium\small forwards

1 Fritsch

2 Pickett

3 Petracca

4 Neal-Bullen

5 Spargo

6 Melksham

7 Sparrow

8 Harmes

9 Chandler

10 Laurie

11 Moniz-Wakefield

12 - Sestan

Key forwards

1 McDonald

2 Brown

3 Gawn

4 van Rooyen

5 Grundy

6 Petty

7 Schache

8 Jefferson

9 Verrall

Staggering, ain't it?

• Like 2

On 12/29/2022 at 2:09 PM, Redleg said:

I think we need another Kozzie type.

I know he is a rare player, but his “type” to me is our priority and obviously if he leaves if it will be a major priority.

Toby was looking like our best chance but he is gone, so I would think in the off season it will be our priority.

Our off season this year, has imo potentially solved a few of our problems, in the ruck and key forward and defence positions. Hunter could be a major pick up and Schache could have more impact potentially than Weid.

It’s probably the best list we have had in years.

The death ride on freo for me this year is dreaming of landing Cal Twomeys hyped man of next years draft Nick ‘the wizard’ Watson. I’m hoping based on his position alone he falls to around 8-10. 

On thread topic, I rate jordon (as I believe the coaching staff also do) highly. Was given Brayshaws wing when things shifted about early season,  and held it for most the year, well enough to poll good votes in the bluey. Also started his afl career well on the inside laying very solid tackles and contributing. Feel he deserves to be listed (although not right up the list) on the small/medium backs too, and probably the same for forwards (kicked 7 this year from limited opportunities up there). 
As a recently turned 23 year old who suffered awful setbacks early on he’s come on since as a coaches dream, slotting into roles and providing the team with plenty.

Yep, I definitely rate him. As much as I love harmesy, I’d favour jordon over him in any position 

• Like 2

The pecking order is kinda mute. It’s about team balance. Role players compliment the top end talent. Form gorilla minding backs, to intercepting backs and small/medium types who attack and/or defend. 

Tagging mids to inside beasts/ball winners, outside runners etc. Outside runners is an improvement area for our midfield. 

The forwards are out of whack IMO. Physical forwards, to leading types , to small/medium  goal kickers and defensive forwards. Although I don’t rate one on one defensive forward in general, But a one on one forward who can counteract an attacking back is important playing some teams.

This is why I think Harmes is important tagging  a midfielder like Lachie Neal, to a Daicos/HBF type. He also has the smarts to attack in both areas of the field and contribute whilst nullifying his opponent.