Finals 2022: Week 02

Demonland

2 hours ago, BoBo said:

After finishing 17th last year, how did Collingwood play more games against the current top 6 teams than Geelong AND Brisbane that finished in a prelim??????????

Because Collingwood played us twice, and then played Geelong in their first final.

We played Collingwood, Fremantle and Brisbane twice each.

Sydney and Geelong both played the minimum (i.e. no repeat games against the final 6 sides in the H&A season). Their repeat games were ridiculously easy, although that comes with hindsight (e.g. Sydney had the Dogs, GWS and Essendon twice - the latter two made finals last year but not this year, whilst the Dogs went from runners up to barely 8th).

• Like 3

15 hours ago, old dee said:

No it is about TV ratings. Prime viewing time is 8 -10.30. Spectators are just collateral damage. It wont be long before all games are night games / early evening.

Well if TV ratings are the real reasoning, this old fart finds for “neutral games”  at1950 on a Friday night unless they hold special interest or at ripping games up to half time, I switch off at the half.   Whereas for 1920 games I am far more likely to hang on.   

20 hours ago, Wodjathefirst said:

Agree, Ginnivan excepted. Last game, the little twerp’s stats were (roughly speaking)
1 star jump (when someone touched his back)
3 kicks
1 tackle 
1 - 50 metre penalty 
My Collingwood mate reckons I have obsessive hatred fixation - really not sure what he is on about

I had to remind myself he was playing ( a little like Jackson actually ) because there was a swarm of magpies all over the ground and he was pretty irrelevant to proceedings

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, layzie said:

Freo are the best traveling team in 2022 and they've got a win already at the G this year. I'd still give the edge to Collingwood but this won't be a gimme. 

Just to nit pick, we lost 2 games away all year, Freo lost 2 and had a draw. Agree with your assessment though! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

Just to nit pick, we lost 2 games away all year, Freo lost 2 and had a draw. Agree with your assessment though! 

It's a valid nit pick haha. Stand corrected, 2nd best traveling team.

Edited by layzie

On 9/4/2022 at 9:25 AM, ANG13 said:

Another thing that is ridiculous is just how bad it is to get into Richmond station after the game. 

I live in Yarraville. There was no trains going west for some reason so I had to call someone to come and collect me and my 70 year Mother from Richmond station.

Richmond station after a game has been a disaster for 15 years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, In Harmes Way said:

We have won 12 in a row on the road I thought...

21 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Because Collingwood played us twice, and then played Geelong in their first final.

We played Collingwood, Fremantle and Brisbane twice each.

Sydney and Geelong both played the minimum (i.e. no repeat games against the final 6 sides in the H&A season). Their repeat games were ridiculously easy, although that comes with hindsight (e.g. Sydney had the Dogs, GWS and Essendon twice - the latter two made finals last year but not this year, whilst the Dogs went from runners up to barely 8th).

Thank you! Sydney I can understand, but Brisbane and Geelong not having harder repeat games compared to Collingwood considering the final season draw isn’t announced until what, round 16?

I could very well be wrong, but to me however you split it, a 17th finishing Collingwood should not have played more of the top 6 sides than Geelong or Brisbane. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

I live in Yarraville. There was no trains going west for some reason so I had to call someone to come and collect me and my 70 year Mother from Richmond station.

God how bad is that and people wonder why some people prefer to stay home and watch. 

38 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

I think a tad longer than that.

I remember as a young fella standing on the platform and looking at all the red rattler 'football specials' lined up down the track waiting to take the fans away.  Now that the jolimont yards are no longer there this doesnt happen.

And having to tap on at 11pm is absolutely stupid.

12 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

I've rarely bothered with trains lately. Since Covid they've been a hunk of junk and seem to either run a lot less or have replacement busses you only find out about at the last minute. So unreliable.