Christian Petracca hairline fracture.

dazzledavey36

10 hours ago, monoccular said:

As above, hairline fractures of the shin (=tibia) are what is referred to as “shin splints” I believe - Webber please comment.  But as I understand these are cumulative stress fractures and not an acute impact injury. 
But, again, not really relevant to this discussion as CP5’s injury isn’t the tibia

Shin splints are an inflammatory reaction at the bone-muscle junction between the tibia and tibialis posterior muscle (helps to ‘lock the foot’ for push off), which can lead to bone ‘stress’ and thus a ‘stress fracture’ if prolonged. A hairline fracture has an acute traumatic onset, a la Tracc’s, which as you say is the fibula and not a deal-breaker for weight-bearing (assuming it’s somewhere mid-shaft, not at the ankle mortice). As previously mentioned, if he’s good to run, jump, land, take-off, pivot, etc, so be it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Thinking 1

17 minutes ago, Webber said:

Shin splints are an inflammatory reaction at the bone-muscle junction between the tibia and tibialis posterior muscle (helps to ‘lock the foot’ for push off), which can lead to bone ‘stress’ and thus a ‘stress fracture’ if prolonged. A hairline fracture has an acute traumatic onset, a la Tracc’s, which as you say is the fibula and not a deal-breaker for weight-bearing (assuming it’s somewhere mid-shaft, not at the ankle mortice). As previously mentioned, if he’s good to run, jump, land, take-off, pivot, etc, so be it. 

Will he need a painkilling injection? Or would they be reluctant to do that?

23 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Will he need a painkilling injection? Or would they be reluctant to do that?

They’ll do if he needs, just won’t alter the ‘bone pain’, only soft tissue. Just as a bit of pain trivia (not really related to Tracc’s fib) what’s called ‘periosteal pain’, the periosteum being the layer of tissue ensheathing the bones, is recognised as being some of the most intense pain we can get.  If you’ve ever had a decent bone break and known the pain that comes after the shock reaction has subsided, you’ll get what this is. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Webber said:

They’ll do if he needs, just won’t alter the ‘bone pain’, only soft tissue. Just as a bit of pain trivia (not really related to Tracc’s fib) what’s called ‘periosteal pain’, the periosteum being the layer of tissue ensheathing the bones, is recognised as being some of the most intense pain we can get.  If you’ve ever had a decent bone break and known the pain that comes after the shock reaction has subsided, you’ll get what this is. 

Sounds like you’re pretty optimistic Petracca will be able to play and be able to move better than he did against the swans. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Sounds like you’re pretty optimistic Petracca will be able to play and be able to move better than he did against the swans. 

If he can’t, he won’t play. We hope! Should’ve been subbed on Friday night. Dunno what they were thinking, other than the pain being from the contusion (corky) and he’d run it out. They didn’t know about the fibula of course, but it’s clear he wasn’t running it off. It’s a bit worrying how grimly they hold to the idea that a NQR Tracc is better than any alternative. Hasn’t worked for Richmond and Dusty, won’t work for us. His game relies on unimpeded strength and power. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, binman said:

Seriously?

He was moving like a cripple in the second half.

I was gob smacked, and remain so, that Goody didn't bring Smith on for him. I mean, what the point of having a medi sub if you don't use it when needed?

We were basically down a player for a big chunk of the match. We really needed the run Smith and energy would have contributed.

Totally baffling. 

Yep, just extraordinary 

And I can't see how or why we'd play him if he's not fully fit

He's been a liability a couple of time when playing ill or injured, and thos concept of having him rest forward is silly, the forwards and their defensive run/transition forward is key to our structure and fitness is critical

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Webber said:

If he can’t, he won’t play. We hope! Should’ve been subbed on Friday night. Dunno what they were thinking, other than the pain being from the contusion (corky) and he’d run it out. They didn’t know about the fibula of course, but it’s clear he wasn’t running it off. It’s a bit worrying how grimly they hold to the idea that a NQR Tracc is better than any alternative. Hasn’t worked for Richmond and Dusty, won’t work for us. His game relies on unimpeded strength and power. 

I assume the pain could improve in a week to be ok for a preliminary final also

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

I assume the pain could improve in a week to be ok for a preliminary final also

Yep. After the 72 hour-ish acute reaction, will settle daily. 

• Like 4

I reckon maxy was also carrying.g something.

I was in the Olympic stand and at one point in, I think, the third, maxy was running directly toward me as the ball headed to the boundar line. 

His running action was so awkward and said to my mate that he had done his hammy.

He obviously hadn't, because he stayed on, but something was not right with his movement.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

I was a few seats behind the bench, noticed a few players looked really flat, Neal-Bullen, Brown looked zonked every time he came off,

I wonder if others had been touched by a bit of illness, no excuses, some just seemed to be not their effervescent selves,

And it mirrored in the crowd I think, I came back into the gate at the start of the second MCC side, heard a muted roar, thought Sydney had kicked a goal, but no Kozzie did, was really surprised such was the noise level.

One more observation, from ground level, Sydney's spread from the stoppage was unbelievable, it literally looked like a haze of red and white when they got going.

Edited by The Stigga
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, binman said:

I reckon maxy was also carrying.g something.

I was in the Olympic stand and at one point in, I think, the third, maxy was running directly toward me as the ball headed to the boundar line. 

His running action was so awkward and said to my mate that he had done his hammy.

He obviously hadn't, because he stayed on, but something was not right with his movement.

The Cats won a final without Couch, Bairstow and Hocking. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DubDee said:

Everyone just expecting a prelim to happen? If we play like we did last night we’ll be out in straight sets. Regardless of the previous wins over the lions

So you're saying this time in the most important game of our season were just going to let Brisbane walk all over us? Did you watch the last game of the season what we did to them?...We cost ourselves against Sydney. They didn't beat us convincingly. God the negative people on demonland destroy souls.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JJR said:

So you're saying this time in the most important game of our season were just going to let Brisbane walk all over us? Did you watch the last game of the season what we did to them?...We cost ourselves against Sydney. They didn't beat us convincingly. God the negative people on demonland destroy souls.

No, not saying that

i was commenting on the arrogant posts saying we should rest Trac and save him for the prelim. Need to keep our focus on this week. Lions have a few players back too

• Like 1

With the fracture, the impacts from collisions and kicking would have to cause pain. If he can kick well let him play.

With the cork, he will play if his gait is not restricted. 

Tough player, I wouldn't want to be the person informing him, if he is to be omitted. 

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Stigga said:

I was a few seats behind the bench, noticed a few players looked really flat, Neal-Bullen, Brown looked zonked every time he came off,

I wonder if others had been touched by a bit of illness, no excuses, some just seemed to be not their effervescent selves,

And it mirrored in the crowd I think, I came back into the gate at the start of the second MCC side, heard a muted roar, thought Sydney had kicked a goal, but no Kozzie did, was really surprised such was the noise level.

One more observation, from ground level, Sydney's spread from the stoppage was unbelievable, it literally looked like a haze of red and white when they got going.

I too was wondering that - there has been "some gastro" around the club - many looked flat ... or is it just a long season with more niggling injuries and 5 weeks less recovery from 2021 that is catching up.

Of course - looking forward to hearing  binman's thoughts - it could be superbly timed loading?

• Like 3

I think the week off this year hindered our momentum from the Brisbane game.

In saying that when your on top of your opponent you dont give them a reason to wrestle momentum away from you.

A lot of players were down on there usual output, so im hoping the swans game was the massive slap in the face we needed to wake us up as a club.

• Like 3

I am not against Christian Petracca playing with a hairline fracture.

We are in a cut throat final that we MUST win after all.

Desperate times call for desperate measures as they say.

Nevertheless, you gotta be mindful of a player's welfare.

My only concerns are if this will cause any long-term issues for Christian's leg?

Plus will Christian be able to play through the pain?

Will he make a significant impact just playing as a forward?

I would definitely be giving him pain-killers and seeing if he could wear a shin guard to protect his leg.

Knowing Brisbane they will target Christian Petracca and I can imagine thugs like Mitch Robinson or Dayne Zorko "accidentally" falling on Christian's leg.

In the end, we need to win this game against the Brisbane Lions no matter what.

Fingers crossed Christian Petracca will be fit enough to play! 🤞

GO DEMONS! 🔴🔵👹

• Like 5

2 hours ago, monoccular said:

I too was wondering that - there has been "some gastro" around the club - many looked flat ... or is it just a long season with more niggling injuries and 5 weeks less recovery from 2021 that is catching up.

Of course - looking forward to hearing  binman's thoughts - it could be superbly timed loading?

Could be, but I’d prefer to give credit to Sydney for being the better side

Glad Goody didn’t make any excuses like Chris Scott in the prelim last year

• Like 5

On 9/3/2022 at 5:38 PM, Jaded No More said:

I really don’t understand. We literally never use one unless we have a concussed player. 
I don’t think Smith wins us the game. But why the hell would you make poor Trac play out a game when he can’t even walk. 

Because no one knows he’s got a fracture, just a bad corky. He’s a match winner and it’s a final, of course he stays on. Petracca can turn a game with 5 possessions.  Smith, he’s not winning the game for us. 

7 hours ago, DubDee said:

No, not saying that

i was commenting on the arrogant posts saying we should rest Trac and save him for the prelim. Need to keep our focus on this week. Lions have a few players back too

Was not having a go at you, it's just when I read some peoples posts, I die a little inside lol 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1