Farewell Brodie Grundy

Ouch!

16 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Dropping Grundy to work on his forward craft at Casey WHEN THE VFL HAS A BYE is the epitome of stupidity and sums up our selection committee this year.

I don't think the Gawn and Grundy partnership has been great, but we've also not played to either of their strengths. Grundy has been better than Gawn this year. It's Gawn who's had a big drop off in form and probably needs a spell. He's been ineffective both up forward and in the ruck, where as Grundy has been decent in the ruck.

Our midfield has performed better when Grundy has been around the ball too with our contested numbers being the best we've seen since our 2021 peak. That tells me we need to find a different role for Max, not Grundy. Why they haven't tried other tactics with the pair such as one front half one back half, Gawn ruck Grundy mid, or Max behind ball and smaller forward line etc is beyond me. It appears we've wasted the year to experiment and now we're just going to hope for the best come finals time. But hey what do I know!

Couldn’t have said it any better myself Trav

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ANG13 said:

Port dropped their captain. 

1 hour ago, goodwindees said:

The Port Captain doesn’t quite have the credibility of Max, in fact, he doesn’t have the credibility of any AFL captain. 

38 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Sure but their Captain isn’t Max 

Exactly this.

Jonas does not hold a candle to Gawn, who is not only a 7 time AA, but a premiership captain and the heart and soul of our club. He has more than enough credits in the bank to last him the rest of his career. 

5 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

These things happens. Why is this such a big deal? 

I suppose because we invested a big chunk of our TPP in him and had a clear plan of how we wanted the partnership to work, which hasn’t come to fruition. 

Grundy is a decorated and experienced player, and I doubt he wants to play for Casey. 
This was always going to be a big story. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goodwindees said:

The Port Captain doesn’t quite have the credibility of Max, in fact, he doesn’t have the credibility of any AFL captain. 

Yes true. I am not saying to drop Gawn just making the point that clubs will drop their captain if they feel they have to.  GWS also dropped Coniglio a couple of years ago. 

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

Exactly this.

Jonas does not hold a candle to Gawn, who is not only a 7 time AA, but a premiership captain and the heart and soul of our club. He has more than enough credits in the bank to last him the rest of his career. 

Sorry I wasn’t necessarily advocating to drop our captain just making the point it occasionally happens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

These things happens. Why is this such a big deal? 

Blokes get dropped.

However, as jaded says, $650k worth of ruckman being told he is not $200k worth of forward is querysome.

Media really going overboard on this. Nothing to worry about here, he's having a week off big deal. 
I think the work on his forward craft stuff is something the media has made up as a reason... Casey aint even playing this week. Grundy has played every week this season and this will be the only game this year we've tried with just Max. 

• Like 2

Just now, rpfc said:

Blokes get dropped.

However, as jaded says, $650k worth of ruckman being told he is not $200k worth of forward is querysome.

Yup blokes get dropped, players go in and out of form etc however, Teams aren't picked based on player salary - they are picked on player role, performance and team balance. 
Trust me, what players are played is completely irrelevant to the selection team
Not one person at selection would ever say "but we should play this player cos we are paying them X more than..."
They would get laughed out of the room.

Friendly reminder the current best player in the comp (Nick Daicos) is on the same contract worth as JVR which is pre-set when drafted. 

3 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Exactly this.

And an AA  skipper too.

34 minutes ago, FritschyBusiness said:

Yup blokes get dropped, players go in and out of form etc however, Teams aren't picked based on player salary - they are picked on player role, performance and team balance. 
Trust me, what players are played is completely irrelevant to the selection team
Not one person at selection would ever say "but we should play this player cos we are paying them X more than..."
They would get laughed out of the room.

Friendly reminder the current best player in the comp (Nick Daicos) is on the same contract worth as JVR which is pre-set when drafted. 

Of course not, mate. Like I care about that. We should have known that Gawn would struggle to become a forward and that this was a gamble that would fail - we should have an extra $650k for a forward this October but we don’t.

We didn’t even really get Gawn to play forward properly and we barely gave this a go and we are off it . 

That is why I am banging on about this.

• Like 1

Fascinating what happens with Brodie after that finish.

Maxy just sending a reminder to all that he’s still king of the rucks when going at it alone.

Wonderful game by the big man.

I rate Brodie but no idea what to do with him as I think we’re better off without him.

• Thinking 1

50 minutes ago, Deeko2 said:

Fascinating what happens with Brodie after that finish.

Maxy just sending a reminder to all that he’s still king of the rucks when going at it alone.

Wonderful game by the big man.

I rate Brodie but no idea what to do with him as I think we’re better off without him.

The question is can Gawn do the same thing rucking 70-80% and resting forward 10%.

And can Grundy ruck 20-30%, to stay in the game, whilst making an impact in 50-60% forward time? And what forwards do we need around them.

That’s roughly the balance of the Gawn-Jackson combination of 2021, where Jacko was good enough forward and then obviously he got the call to do more ruck work in the granny.

The other consideration is the forwards. Probably has to be BBB OR JVR, plus Melk and Fritsch and Tracc to make it work.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

56 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I’d happily have another resting ruck at the expense of a small forward.

Mmnn, the way a side moves the ball out of defence is crucial these days. We already have BBB and the Melk that are not the best at chasing or defensive efforts...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rpfc said:

Of course not, mate. Like I care about that. We should have known that Gawn would struggle to become a forward and that this was a gamble that would fail - we should have an extra $650k for a forward this October but we don’t.

We didn’t even really get Gawn to play forward properly and we barely gave this a go and we are off it . 

That is why I am banging on about this.

Max can't play like he did last night all year anymore.  We need a quality ruck tandem.  It's not ideal but real quality forward/rucks are very rare.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, old55 said:

Max can't play like he did last night all year anymore.  We need a quality ruck tandem.  It's not ideal but real quality forward/rucks are very rare.

Yes, he needs to be able to perform at 85% of that playing forward for 40 mins a game. 

• Thinking 1