Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 18 vs Port Adelaide

Demonland

8 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Poor performance? Catch Benny's last 3 quarters yesterday?

Tell me how we'd be worse with Weid and JVR instead of Brown and Bedford. (Rhetorical)

You include JVR to justify Weid in for Brown, lol. How about just JVR for Bedford, so BBB gets some decent help in the air.

Weid did nothing to deserve promotion. Mitch Brown actually had a more impactful game.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

19 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

IN: Laurie, Dunstan, Weid, JVR

OUT: Spargo, Clarry, Ben Brown, Bedford

I am going to resist the facepalm. But out of curiosity, did you run with this to see how many facepalms you could get? 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, mo64 said:

You include JVR to justify Weid in for Brown, lol. How about just JVR for Bedford, so BBB gets some decent help in the air.

Weid did nothing to deserve promotion. Mitch Brown actually had a more impactful game.

No, I include JVR as the primary forward and Weid as tall support as I believe that's our best set up.

So you'd bring Mitch Brown in then?  What would your changes be?

1 minute ago, 1964_2 said:

I am going to resist the facepalm. But out of curiosity, did you run with this to see how many facepalms you could get? 

Feel free to talk footy mate. Everyone seems a bit angry tonight.

• Facepalm 1

Out: Bedford, Sparrow, Bowey

In: Laurie, Hunt, one of JvR or Weideman

Think we need our 'preferred' forward structure with two talls. Can't envisage having 2 debutants in the one game though.

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

No, I include JVR as the primary forward and Weid as tall support as I believe that's our best set up.

So you'd bring Mitch Brown in then?  What would your changes be?

JVR for Bedford, as he's the closest player we have to play the T Mac role. Dunstan for Oliver. Laurie for Spargo. Hunt for Bowey. Chandler unlucky.

15 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Poor performance? Catch Benny's last 3 quarters yesterday?

Tell me how we'd be worse with Weid and JVR instead of Brown and Bedford. (Rhetorical)

I'll reply to your second point.

It'll be far worse having your team rely on a forward line that has your VFL depth forward in Weideman as your main key forward alongside a 1st game as your second key tall. That's just a recipe for disaster especially coming up against an All Australian defender in Alir Alir who'll eat Weid alive.

If you're going to debut JVR it has to be when a senior experienced key forward such as Ben Brown is there for the physical support and also take the pressure off him. 

On your first point, Browns first half was exceptional. Had 5 marks to half time and looked like he was set for a big half until we decided to just constantly bomb it down the line on his head. Not even plugger Lockett could have mark anything with that delivery. 

On Weideman's performance tonight. I Watched the game from start to finish and kept a close eye hoping he'd play well. He was a major disappointment. Poor body language,  got beaten comprehensively by Geelong's Angus Byrne who not only out outmarked him at times but defended really well.

As you've said in the past, Weideman is only depth and and should only be playing AFL footy if either Brown or Jackson go down with injury.

He's been given opportunities to perform this year and has failed to grab those with both hands.

• Like 8

Just now, mo64 said:

JVR for Bedford, as he's the closest player we have to play the T Mac role. Dunstan for Oliver. Laurie for Spargo. Hunt for Bowey. Chandler unlucky.

Don't mind it. Reckon that wiil be pretty close to what Goody does, although gut feel is he might not drop Bowey just yet.

• Thinking 1

7 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

On your first point, Browns first half was exceptional. Had 5 marks to half time and looked like he was set for a big half until we decided to just constantly bomb it down the line on his head. Not even plugger Lockett could have mark anything with that delivery. 

Spot on 'dazz'...

edit: and Maxy has to learn not get in his leading lanes.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 2

After watching the entire Casey match tonight....

Outs:  Spargo, Bedford, Fritsch & Bowey

Ins:  Laurie, Chandler, JVR & Hunt

If Clarry doesn't make it Dunstan must be close to getting a call.

Sparrow would want to bring a higher level than he did against the Cats IMV as Dunstan is ready to pounce even with Clarry in.  Could easily manage both of these two for that position by rotating them for a block of games in the next 6 weeks.  May the best man win!

BBB is also on notice IMV with Mitch & Weid looking very sharp in patches tonight under shizen conditions, especially Mitch.  The three of them are all pretty much at the same level in terms of potential impact as a KF.  There's no stand outs amongst any of them.  I wish there was!  Weid does bring something the others don't which is the ability to ruck if needed.  Allows us to rest Maxy on the bench / forward or in an intercept role behind play.  Same with Dogga.  Even if Weid only played about 60% game time just to give this chop out and keep the other two talls fresh & allow them to play their other roles a little more effectively?

Edited by Demon Dynasty

15 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Feel free to talk footy mate. Everyone seems a bit angry tonight.

In:  Laurie, JVR, Hunt

out: Oliver, Bedford, Bowey

Hunt to play more defensive, and free up Salem. Bowey to get his form back in the vfl. 

Harmes, Sparrow, occasionally Kosi to cover Oliver midfield rotations, with Laurie hff improving our inside 50 entries. (Oliver to not be a hero and rush back. Enjoy a week off, and be ready to explode on return) 

JVR to assist BB (Bedford unlucky, and structural rather than dropped). JVR taking contested marks in the wet deserves his chance. Was significantly better than Weid in the game I just watched. 

Edited by 1964_2

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I'll reply to your second point.

It'll be far worse having your team rely on a forward line that has your VFL depth forward in Weideman as your main key forward alongside a 1st game as your second key tall. That's just a recipe for disaster especially coming up against an All Australian defender in Alir Alir who'll eat Weid alive.

If you're going to debut JVR it has to be when a senior experienced key forward such as Ben Brown is there for the physical support and also take the pressure off him. 

On Weideman's performance tonight. I Watched the game from start to finish and kept a close eye hoping he'd play well. He was a major disappointment. Poor body language,  got beaten comprehensively by Geelong's Angus Byrne who not only out outmarked him at times but defended really well.

As you've said in the past, Weideman is only depth and and should only be playing AFL footy if either Brown or Jackson go down with injury.

He's been given opportunities to perform this year and has failed to grab those with both hands.

Makes sense, it's not exactly what I think, but can 100% understand your reasoning there.

Just feel like we need to change something up with Brown, they've given him more than enough  time now to turn his form around and he hasn't, not even close. I had high hopes after last night's first quarter and then he totally disappeared and i don't agree that we totally changed our game plan at half time and it wasn't his fault  at  all that he did nothing. 0 marks in the second half, and 4 out of his 10 disposals for the game were turnovers. Enough is enough, get him back to VFL to find form because we need him in form at finals time.

Even after last night, Weid still has Brown covered for contested marks this year. That and the tackling and pressure is what Weid can bring that will be a lift from what we've been getting from Brown.

It can't be  one rule for one player and a different one for another. IMO Brrown has been given the extra time he deserves based on his history, but it's time to make a change and get him on track.

I suspect you'll be right and Goody won't drop him, but if so, I'll be watching again to see how that plays out.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

4 minutes ago, 1964_2 said:

In:  Laurie, JVR, Hunt

out: Oliver, Bedford, Bowey

Hunt to play more defensive, and free up Salem. Bowey to get his form back in the vfl. 

Harmes, Sparrow, occasionally Kosi to cover Oliver midfield rotations, with Laurie hff improving our inside 50 entries. (Oliver to not be a hero and rush back. Enjoy a week off, and be ready to explode on return) 

JVR to assist BB (Bedford unlucky, and structural rather than dropped). JVR taking contested marks in the wet deserved his chance. Was significantly better than Weid in the game I just watched. 

Yep, if you had to pick just one tall from tonight it would clearly be JVR, no argument there.

Agree on freeing up Salem, my preference is to get Gus back to the wing to do that though. We're losing out from a team perspective with Gus at HB and JJ on the wing IMO.

Edited by Lord Nev

9 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Makes sense, it's not exactly what I think, but can 100% understand your reasoning there.

Just feel like we need to change something up with Brown, they've given him more than enough  time now to turn his form around and he hasn't, not even close. I had high hopes after last night's first quarter and then he totally disappeared and i don't agree that we totally changed our game plan at half time and it wasn't his fault  at  all that he did nothing. 0 marks in the second half, and 4 out of his 10 disposals for the game were turnovers. Enough is enough, get him back to VFL to find form because we need him in form at finals time.

Even after last night, Weid still has Brown covered for contested marks this year. That and the tackling and pressure is what Weid can bring that will be a lift from what we've been getting from Brown.

It can't be  one rule for one player and a different one for another. IMO Brrown has been given the extra time he deserves based on his history, but it's time to make a change and get him on track.

I suspect you'll be right and Goody won't drop him, but if so, I'll be watching again to see how that plays out.

And trust me, I honestly thought we would have kept Weid in for the Geelong game. I was only a few that thought he actually battled well against Adelaide. You could even say that performance alone was far better output then what Jackson dished up last night. 

I was a bit worried going into the game with one genuine key forward and unfortunately it panned out the way I thought it would. 

That set up does work at all and I watched tonight's game closely to see the response and I was disappointed. Maybe he's now at a point where his confidence is completely shot from just being in and out of the team. 

Edited by dazzledavey36

5 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Yep, if you had to pick just one tall from tonight it would clearly be JVR, no argument there.

Agree on freeing up Salem, my preference is to get Gus back to the wing to do that though. We're losing out from a team perspective with Gus at HB and JJ on the wing IMO.

Given we have more depth in the half-back flank position, definitely think it be worth returning Gus to the wingers club

We know Dunstan be a finals replacement for an injury to any of our starting midfield (and I am sure he would do a good job), but think we should use the opportunity next week to see what Laurie can do on a flank. 

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

And trust me, I honestly thought we would have kept Weid in for the Geelong. I was only a few that thought he actually battled well against Adelaide. You could even say that performance alone was far better output then was Jackson dished up last night.

I was a bit worried going into the game with one genuine key forward and unfortunately it panned out the way I thought it would. 

That set up does work at all and I watched tonight's game closely to see the response and I was disappointed. Maybe he's now at a point where his confidence is completely shot from just being in and out of the team. 

Haha funnily enough  thought Weid would come out but Mitch stay in for the Geelong game.

I think Weid just is what he is, he's depth and whatever level he plays he should be the second forward I reckon. Can backup ruck, has good hands in close for a big man, good when he has a run up, things you'd be ok with from your second tall, but he's just never been and never will be that beast that you need to be when the main man. Don't reckon BBB is that this year either though, but his reach and proven history grants him more opportunity. Whatever happens, IMO we need two decent tall forwards  in form by finals, and we have 0 atm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1964_2 said:

Given we have more depth in the half-back flank position, definitely think it be worth returning Gus to the wingers club

We know Dunstan be a finals replacement for an injury to any of our starting midfield (and I am sure he would do a good job), but think we should use the opportunity next week to see what Laurie can do on a flank. 

Yep, definitely agree on all that. Laurie could be this year's Bowey with giving us a bit of a lift at the right time of the season too. Could use his kicking going forward that's for sure, Spargo seems to have lost that part of his game lately.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Yep, definitely agree on all that. Laurie could be this year's Bowey with giving us a bit of a lift at the right time of the season too. Could use his kicking going forward that's for sure, Spargo seems to have lost that part of his game lately.

Spargo definitely been quiet, and lost some of his offensive edge. But think he is still ticking the defensive role playing box, which keeps him in the team. Same with ANB, and Kosy.

If we compare to last year, usually at least 2 of the 3 would add some offensive output, to their non-negotiable role playing requirements. Too many games this year only 1, and sometimes none of the 3 have contributed offensively. 

All of Bedford, Laurie, and Chandler probably have more offensive upside than Spargo, but can they meet his weekly defensive role playing requirements? I don’t know the answer 

IN: JVR, Laurie, Hunt

OUT: Bowey, Bedford, Spargo

From reports, JVR has outperformed Weideman over the last two weeks at Casey.

If we’re at the point of playing three small forwards ahead of Mitch Brown or Weideman, then we really have nothing to lose.

Laurie also seems to have earned his opportunity. Eager to see what these two can do.

Edited by wisedog

50 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Jackson ‘I’m not sure what I want to do next year. I miss my mum, and it rains sometimes in Victoria’.

Oliver ‘I’ve just signed a 7 year contract and had my thumb smashed. Just cut the bloody thing off and I’ll see you at training in the morning’.

Clayton is what I’ve waited my whole life as a Demon supporter to have. Enormously skilled, tough, determined, and committed to our club.

• Like 3
  • Love 5

Out:  Bedford, Oliver (inj)

In:  Chandler, Dunstan or JVR if we go tall

We do need anther tall, but i think against port we don't.  As long as we can control Aliir's influence. 

If they do go down the extra tall path i think it might be time to try JVR, if not its Weid.

Weideman has had plenty of chances and is not the answer. J V R IS the future and his time is now. PLAY him this week

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1