Trade and Free Agency rumours

Nascent

3 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

20 years old, re-signed a few months back, dropped for one game (albeit a Grand Final)... Not gonna happen.

Not the first time he has been dropped,  only signed a 2 year extension.  If there is a time to try pry some young talent.  This is it.

• Haha 1

Just now, Travy14 said:

Not the first time he has been dropped,  only signed a 2 year extension.  If there is a time to try pry some young talent.  This is it.

Much rather Joel Amartey if we are trying to raid the swans

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

He got dropped because he didn’t touch it for a half and hasn’t looked any good apart from when he played on Tomlinson and Lever.

The Swans are developing him slowly and he’ll be ok, but he’s not really the answer. Reckon he might come in to the 22 still as well. Not sure Reid’s across the line either 

I agree with you there,  I don't think Reid is any chance.

I do rate this Kid though,  dominated the WAFL as a 17yo.  Recon he will turn out to be a good key fwd

2 minutes ago, Travy14 said:

So a 20 year old former number 4 pick signs until the end of 2024, in March this year, gets dropped and all of a sudden we can pry him out of a Grand Final team? Nah.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BDA said:

Or Larkey at North if Clarkson can't disentangle himself from the Hawks racism report. Will throw North back into chaos which we should try to take advantage of (i know. I'm a horrible person)

Oh I'd love Larkey,  would cost a bit though.  But be worth it!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sydee said:

Much rather Joel Amartey if we are trying to raid the swans

He isn't a natural fwd,  would be fine if he gets the third Def.  I do also like him though

3 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

So a 20 year old former number 4 pick signs until the end of 2024, in March this year, gets dropped and all of a sudden we can pry him out of a Grand Final team? Nah.

Well a 21yo no 3 pick has been taken from us!

And McDonald sat on that contract offer for a long time, I do think he will also eventually head back to WA.  

It's an opportunity to try, but Na let's not worry about it and just get grundy who is on a longer contract with more money

Just now, Travy14 said:

Well a 21yo no 3 pick has been taken from us!

And McDonald sat on that contract offer for a long time, I do think he will also eventually head back to WA.  

It's an opportunity to try, but Na let's not worry about it and just get grundy who is on a longer contract with more money

An out of contract 21 year old who has headed home. Sure.

I'm keen to chase a key forward or two mate, I just think this is off the mark bothering to try and get Logan “The Sydney Swans is the only place I ever wanted to be" McDonald.

Not sure what Grundy has to do with anything. Nowhere did I mention him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

An out of contract 21 year old who has headed home. Sure.

I'm keen to chase a key forward or two mate, I just think this is off the mark bothering to try and get Logan “The Sydney Swans is the only place I ever wanted to be" McDonald.

Not sure what Grundy has to do with anything. Nowhere did I mention him.

Im not saying you are,  but we are getting him.  I believe Jackson said a simmilar thing when he signed his contract extension.

If you watch the doco made last year he took stewed over that contract for a while.

We gotta be aggressive if we want players like that,  there is no free agents( besides McStay, pass)  so have a crack at someone like this.

Port are at Kossie,  start putting it in these players head that we want them if they aren't happy.

Does it matter if he says no?  Move on to the next target

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Travy14 said:

Im not saying you are,  but we are getting him.  I believe Jackson said a simmilar thing when he signed his contract extension.

If you watch the doco made last year he took stewed over that contract for a while.

We gotta be aggressive if we want players like that,  there is no free agents( besides McStay, pass)  so have a crack at someone like this.

Port are at Kossie,  start putting it in these players head that we want them if they aren't happy.

Does it matter if he says no?  Move on to the next target

Who says we didn't ask before he re-signed and he said no? We've asked the question of other key forwards this year and they said no. I just think the logic of a player dropped for a GF being a target is off the mark. I'll leave it at that.

5 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Who says we didn't ask before he re-signed and he said no? We've asked the question of other key forwards this year and they said no. I just think the logic of a player dropped for a GF being a target is off the mark. I'll leave it at that.

As I said he has been dropped multiple times this year,  and now again for a GF,  when a Key Fwd is under an injury cloud and Buddy has signed for another year.  Id say it's a great time to have a shot!

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 1:54 PM, MurDoc516 said:

Hibberd deserves an extension, Melksham not so much. 

We definetly have cap room just by the nature of the fact that we got a number of players who in the next 12 months could be out the door and wouldn't be a big miss.

I’d lean the other way on hibberd he looked extremely exposed for pace at the end of the year that’s only going to happen more in another 12 months. Melksham played a critical role in a number of games late in the year when no one else stood up fwd

• Like 5
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

I still don’t see how Tomlinson has any positive trade value. He was that bad this year and even his Casey play looked so limited (output was good but it didn’t look good) that I think it will cost a pick to move him.

Just thinking out loud here but does a Tomlinson for Josh Bruce straight swap make sense? 

We don’t need Tomlinson. Dogs don’t need Bruce. Neither of them recovered well from ACL’s last year. Both might turn it around with a fresh start. 

I was thinking that the doggies third rounder was basically nothing to be honest. So agree with you on the value front. Maybe it's a fourth rounder as a token gesture?

I dont want Bruce. Tomlinson recovered way better than Bruce did. Bruce looked totally cooked this year.

15 minutes ago, BAMF said:

I was thinking that the doggies third rounder was basically nothing to be honest. So agree with you on the value front. Maybe it's a fourth rounder as a token gesture?

I dont want Bruce. Tomlinson recovered way better than Bruce did. Bruce looked totally cooked this year.

The next step down from a token pick is us having to give one, and I think that's genuinely in play if Tomlinson has signficant money attached to him. 

I don't want Bruce either. But I do want a key forward. And as we search the entire country looking for one I'm not sure we'd do any better than Bruce. Yes he looked absolutely cooked, but he was good in 2021.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nascent said:

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/melbourne-utility-adam-tomlinson-in-the-mix-for-shock-move-to-third-afl-club-c-8330309

Tomlinson did a medical at the Bulldogs according to Mark Stevens.

With salary dumping all the rage at the moment, it will be interesting to see how this plays out if he does move. Do we pay the dogs with a later pick to take his full salary on? Is it that much of a burden that we would give up draft capital? Or do we pay 100-200k of his contract and get a token 3rd or 4th round pick? Or given the dearth of Key Defenders on the market and that he's contracted, do we drive a hard bargain and try and extract a 2nd round pick from the dogs?

Our key defender depth will be whittled down to Turner and Joel Smith in the absence of any replacements which has me concerned.

jake stein was delisted by the giants today, i don't think he's the worst player going around in terms of key defenders. actually suprised he was cut given davis and keefe r barely hanging on there as well. u know who could fix our lack of key defensive depth. this kid called mac andrew, think he's linked to us via NGA will be a great pick up long term!

36 minutes ago, Turner said:

jake stein was delisted by the giants today, i don't think he's the worst player going around in terms of key defenders. actually suprised he was cut given davis and keefe r barely hanging on there as well. u know who could fix our lack of key defensive depth. this kid called mac andrew, think he's linked to us via NGA will be a great pick up long term!

I saw they let go of Jarrod Brander as well. He was one I wanted us to look at last year. Tall, athletic, can play wing or forward and has a bigger body then a lot of the forwards we have at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Turner said:

u know who could fix our lack of key defensive depth. this kid called mac andrew, think he's linked to us via NGA will be a great pick up long term!

Reckon we got lucky there. Mac might be the better player in a few years time but for now I’d rather JVR 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Deestiny Awaits said:

I saw they let go of Jarrod Brander as well. He was one I wanted us to look at last year. Tall, athletic, can play wing or forward and has a bigger body then a lot of the forwards we have at the moment. 

I can’t argue that he’s not tall but I’ll argue the rest. Runs in straight lines, can’t play wing, can’t play forward, don’t think he’s any stronger than Brown, McDonald and JVR. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Deestiny Awaits said:

I was one who wanted us to look at Brander last year, I was wrong.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Deestiny Awaits said:

Pass! Couldn’t get a game at either WC or GWS. 

• Like 1