Jump to content

  • Podcast: Mid-Season Review 2022  

  • Podcast: Mid-Season Review 2022  

Around the grounds.



Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, radar said:

Was there too. 
only kicked 2 goals in the last quarter. 
Both in time on. 
Chopper Lovell and Sean Wight. 
Got up by 9 points. 

I remember there would of been around 10 Melbourne Supporters shoulder to shoulder, across, then going down  from the Hard Yakka signs behind the goals to the fence at the ground. I thought if it kicked off we'd be in real trouble. But at 22 you think you're invincible (my Dad refused to go with me) and by the time we got those 2 last Qtr goals, the Hard Yakka sign nearest to me got pummeled with an open right hand. All respect to any Magpie fan who was there that day from the way I was treated as I don't remember any eyes or verbal coming towards my direction. I remember walking out proud as punch just wishing my Dad had come and my Boss had come to experience one of the best days I'd had at the Footy. I enjoyed all the missions of going to all the Suburban grounds. Geelong is the only ground i haven't got to but would like to. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What a game that was, we cost the Pies top spot or the double chance if I remember correctly and they lost an Elimination Final to the Saints. They thought they had another flag in them after the hangover in 1991 and the win was as sweet as anything. I was there as a 10 year old standing in the outer with my dad and uncles (one a Collingwood supporter). I walked out of the game towards Hoddle St screaming Grand Old Flag at the top of my lungs I remember getting some dirty looks but noone said or did anything.

Had one of the best hamburgers that day too there was a grill setup just inside the entry gates - at least they knew how to do something right.

Actually as a kid I never witnessed many issues at any of the suburban grounds but I guess we were generally in the outer with other Melbourne supporters. In my experience stkilda supporters have been the worst I've experienced and it has always been at the G.

 I've been going to the Footy since the 80's and I've only ever experienced problems with Bulldogs supporters. Princess Park, The MCG and Marvel Stadium multiple times. And I'm talking about when it had nothing to do with me and they're  wanting to fight other Melbourne Fans. I remember one Bulldog Fan wanted 10 or 15  Melbourne Lads who were egging him on. Ricky Petterd took a Screamer that night. Never had issues from any other Clubs supporters. I do love the banter it's half the fun of going to footy. Just never make it personal. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, MT64 said:

Let's not forget they had an elephant walk around the ground at half time one time.

……. and a pig (not Hibbo) running around the SCG, interrupting play, and being chased by players and security guards.  I think it was Tony Lockett who eventually caught it.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Deeoldfart said:

……. and a pig (not Hibbo) running around the SCG, interrupting play, and being chased by players and security guards.  I think it was Tony Lockett who eventually caught it.

The poor little pig was frightened out of his skin. He had Lockett’s number 4 painted on his side. Some [censored]’s idea of funny. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, 4_Kent_Watts said:

 I've been going to the Footy since the 80's and I've only ever experienced problems with Bulldogs supporters. Princess Park, The MCG and Marvel Stadium multiple times. And I'm talking about when it had nothing to do with me and they're  wanting to fight other Melbourne Fans. I remember one Bulldog Fan wanted 10 or 15  Melbourne Lads who were egging him on. Ricky Petterd took a Screamer that night. Never had issues from any other Clubs supporters. I do love the banter it's half the fun of going to footy. Just never make it personal. 

Unlike English soccer hooligans, we are very good here. Perhaps because the game is more engaging or that we have space to breathe and play and live. Still the lucky country.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't been to many of the old suburban grounds. My first one was Glenferrie Oval and I've also been to Albert Park, Moorabbin and Princes Park. And I think that's it for Victoria. I don't miss any of them.

However, I have also been to the SCG. It was in the early 2000s. It's a fabulous viewing experience except for the pillars in the Members Stand. I believe the SCG's two old grandstands are now heritage protected so can't be removed, even if the SCG custodians wished to do so. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love hearing all these stories...bringing back the bad memories of the toilets at Princes park ( still much the same) the ankle deep mud in the viewing areas at Moorabbin....

...as an Eastern suburbs boy I ventured to the Western oval once...and vowed never to go there again.   Obviously designed and built as an English soccer ground it still has straight boundaries on the wing.  The coaches box was probably a discarded stewards box from Flemington, that was accessed by a ladder. A solitary pie/beer outlet down one end on the terraces, it just went on and on with aged and antiquated facilities. 

But the funniest thing was the Newport railway brass band trooping out at half time, with the cheer squad walking the boundaries holding a blanket into which people tossed coins.  That sort of thing had dissapeared 30 years previously at other grounds.  The whole place just reeked of decay.

Very glad to go back to the civilised MCG.

Edited by george_on_the_outer
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/15/2022 at 3:09 PM, Rab D Nesbitt said:

As a youngster new to the game I was fascinated with all the quirks of an away day at a suburban ground. Windy Hill was interesting with it's croquet club in one corner and a bowling green on the outer wing that barely allowed enough space for a spectator to get from one flank to the other during a game. Then there was the art deco Showers Stand that I think has now been knocked down. 

Although we never won there I liked Arden Street for the fact it had a dozen rows of seats all the way around the ground which I read used to be a greyhound track. The area had a real industrial ghost town feel about it on a weekend. The Western Oval was another favourite that had a hot dog shape with completely straight wings and a weird viewing platform on the outer wing that Mick Malthouse used to access by climbing a ladder on match days. 

Grounds I didn't like were the completely soulless VFL Park and dumps like Moorabbin and Victoria Park with their rabies infested supporters. The Junction Oval and Lakeside Oval were ramshackle and not fit for purpose whilst Princes Park still has that Hawthorn Stand and it's weird rollercoaster shaped roof that has always bugged me. More so after the extended it into the outer end. 

You missed the 1971 fixture! We smashed North by over one hundred points. We got into the ground about the ten minute mark and the Dees were already 7 goals up. Brian Dixon was North coach. The group-think was that VFL Park was soulless but we loved that ground, it p$%ps all over Qatar airways stadium.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Used to enjoy going to Princes Park, particularly because we had a pretty decent record there, including winning the last ever game there. The ground had a bit of character as long as you ignored all the Carlton bits.

Whitten Oval was ok, sitting near the Melb cheer squad on the outer wing and having a couple of easy wins over Fitzroy in the mid 90's.

I only have vague memories of the old southern stand (circa 1989, 1990) as I was only 8 years old at the time. Can anyone describe it for me? Were facilities ok or was it in dire need of a face lift in the early 90's?

Were there many food/drink concession stands, TAB's, pubs etc... in the old southern stand...

Was it general admission throughout the entire stand or was there an AFL/VFL members section? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Started going to the footy in the early 60s. Have been to every ground in suburban Melbourne (no Geelong) when they were all much the same mostly standing room in the outer with poor amenities. Sadly (or not) they are all gone.

The old MCG (DEES only), Junction Oval (sainters before before Moorabbin), Lakeside Oval (South Melbourne before Sydney), Punt Rd Oval (toiges), Glenferrie Oval (dorks), Victoria Park (filth), Princes Park (lollie blues), Windy Hill (bummers), Western Oval (bullies), Brunswick St Oval (lions before ground sharing with others), Arden St (roos).

Waverley Park came later and was was cold, ope,n difficult to get to and barren but we won the 1987 night grand final there so has sweet memories.

The old grounds were rough and ready but, so long as the footy was good, we didn't care. We were watching the greatest game on earth.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I only have vague memories of the old southern stand (circa 1989, 1990) as I was only 8 years old at the time. Can anyone describe it for me? Were facilities ok or was it in dire need of a face lift in the early 90's?

Were there many food/drink concession stands, TAB's, pubs etc... in the old southern stand...

Was it general admission throughout the entire stand or was there an AFL/VFL members section? 

It was built in 1937 so by the end of its life  the facilities were primitive. No AFL/VFL members - sit or stand anywhere. Hard timber seats and smokers everywhere. Glad it was demolished. Go to see the last game (GF) and attended the first test match in the new stand.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:But the funniest thing was the Newport railway brass band trooping out at half time, with the cheer squad walking the boundaries holding a blanket into which people tossed coins.  That sort of thing had dissapeared 30 years previously at other grounds.  The whole place just reeked of decay.

Pretty sure that would be the Hyde street Brass band  community band mostly young kids 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The AFLW gives a great opportunity for people like me too young to see these grounds in full swing. Hopefully they can be preserved and even bring back some local character without the depraved behaviour.

AFL teams haven’t really worked out how to get more unique experiences in shared stadiums. Every now and then you get a Yze or a Kreuze to get cheer for, but that’s about it. Port have their never tear us apart!

Unfortunately you can’t just invent traditions and the ‘fan engagements’ have been awful. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/15/2022 at 7:35 PM, Jontee said:

My son and I went to see our home game vs Eagles at princes park.  There was 7000 and a dog there  and the queue for the ladies went 50m.

Absolute disgrace.

Sounds like Blundstone Arena - 2017 v's North.

Except there was a 50m line for the mens as well.

And you'd have to sacrifice a quarter if you wanted to line up for a pie and beer.

Hopefully things have improved since then.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

the cheer squad walking the boundaries holding a blanket into which people tossed coins. 

How many times you’d get hit on the back of the head with coins thrown by blokes whose aim depended on how many beers they’d downed. 

  • Haha 2
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

The AFLW gives a great opportunity for people like me too young to see these grounds in full swing. Hopefully they can be preserved and even bring back some local character without the depraved behaviour.

AFL teams haven’t really worked out how to get more unique experiences in shared stadiums. Every now and then you get a Yze or a Kreuze to get cheer for, but that’s about it. Port have their never tear us apart!

Unfortunately you can’t just invent traditions and the ‘fan engagements’ have been awful. 

We have at no expense  spared, trumpet man or has he retired?

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My fondest memory of a suburban football ground is that of the old Brunswick Street Oval, a picturesque ground with ancient grandstands and a brick fence. It was the scene of one of my first games which, despite being in the midst of a golden era for the Demons, turned out to be a narrow loss to the Lions which had previously been called the “Gorillas”.  That was in 1957 when my cousin and I walked to the ground from Brunswick where we lived across the Merri Creek. Times were different then - we were just short of our 10th and 8th birthdays respectively. As the reigning premiers, it was a shock to lose to Fitzroy who had finished well down the ladder in 1956 but we always had trouble with them, particularly at their ground. Soon after, a rivalry began between the clubs because we were coached by Norm Smith, they by his brother Len.  

The ground was small and by the late 60s was no longer fit for purpose as a VFL ground and the Lions became nomads, moving to Princes Park (twice), the Junction Oval, Victoria Park, the  Whitten Oval and eventually when they were forced to merge with the Brisbane Bears, to the Gabba where they tasted success but not as Fitzroy.

The real Fitzroy lives and still plays at the Brunswick Street Oval in the Amateurs. They play in the same Division as my club and it’s always a thrill to head out there for a game against the Roy Boys. There’s only the old grandstand left, part of the brick wall, lots of trees around the perimeter, one of the best canteens in the Ammos and a friendly atmosphere. Perhaps the ghosts of some of their greats like Haydn Bunton Sr., “Butch” Gale, “Chicken” Smallhorn and Bill Stephen still lurk around the old grand stand happy in the knowledge that they couldn’t kill off the old Fitzroy.

  • Like 8
  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

My fondest memory of a suburban football ground is that of the old Brunswick Street Oval, a picturesque ground with ancient grandstands and a brick fence. It was the scene of one of my first games which, despite being in the midst of a golden era for the Demons, turned out to be a narrow loss to the Lions which had previously been called the “Gorillas”.  That was in 1957 when my cousin and I walked to the ground from Brunswick where we lived across the Merri Creek. Times were different then - we were just short of our 10th and 8th birthdays respectively. As the reigning premiers, it was a shock to lose to Fitzroy who had finished well down the ladder in 1956 but we always had trouble with them, particularly at their ground. Soon after, a rivalry began between the clubs because we were coached by Norm Smith, they by his brother Len.  

The ground was small and by the late 60s was no longer fit for purpose as a VFL ground and the Lions became nomads, moving to Princes Park (twice), the Junction Oval, Victoria Park, the  Whitten Oval and eventually when they were forced to merge with the Brisbane Bears, to the Gabba where they tasted success but not as Fitzroy.

The real Fitzroy lives and still plays at the Brunswick Street Oval in the Amateurs. They play in the same Division as my club and it’s always a thrill to head out there for a game against the Roy Boys. There’s only the old grandstand left, part of the brick wall, lots of trees around the perimeter, one of the best canteens in the Ammos and a friendly atmosphere. Perhaps the ghosts of some of their greats like Haydn Bunton Sr., “Butch” Gale, “Chicken” Smallhorn and Bill Stephen still lurk around the old grand stand happy in the knowledge that they couldn’t kill off the old Fitzroy.

Lovely reminiscing. It's far worse to lose a club than lose an old suburban ground.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

The ground was small and by the late 60s was no longer fit for purpose as a VFL ground and the Lions became nomads, moving to Princes Park (twice), the Junction Oval, Victoria Park, the  Whitten Oval and eventually when they were forced to merge with the Brisbane Bears, to the Gabba where they tasted success but not as Fitzroy.

Perhaps the ghosts of some of their greats like Haydn Bunton Sr., “Butch” Gale, “Chicken” Smallhorn and Bill Stephen still lurk around the old grand stand happy in the knowledge that they couldn’t kill off the old Fitzroy.

I think they also played at Coburg for at least one year.

And WJ, you forgot to include the greatest Lion of all who until recently attended some home games - the still living legend Kevin Murray.

Agree on the atmosphere - they are a great club.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Lovely reminiscing. It's far worse to lose a club than lose an old suburban ground.

It must have been quite gut wrenching for Fitzroy folks. I cant imagine if Mfc moved north and changed its names. They must have felt they had wasted a part of their lives. I know it's a rich world issue but still. I would have been mad as hell if I was a Fitzroy fan....especially in light of all the money thrown to keep new clubs going. Its comforting Mfc is doing well not only financially but now we have a Flag again.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tiers said:

I think they also played at Coburg for at least one year.

And WJ, you forgot to include the greatest Lion of all who until recently attended some home games - the still living legend Kevin Murray.

Agree on the atmosphere - they are a great club.

It was North Melbourne that played at Coburg (in 1966). 

Also, I left out the great Kevin Joseph Murray MBE is because he’s still with us so he doesn’t yet qualify as a “ghost”.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    JUNGLE KINGS by George On The Outer

    The top of the table Brisbane Lions came into their game against Melbourne thinking they were kings of the AFL Jungle. However, by game’s end they were shown to be toothless, as the rampant Demons gave them a lesson about the exact level you have to be at to justify that mantle.  The first quarter saw Brisbane squander some easy chances in front of goal, which kept Melbourne within striking distance and, as a result, the Lions led by a mere goal. Of course, it could have been so much d

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A STEP FORWARD? by The Oracle

    The winds of change have blown through the Melbourne Football Club over the past month or so as the team previously known for applying relentless pressure on opponents dramatically fell from its pedestal to a low not seen for some three years. This is a team that had the luxury of going through last season with one of the healthiest lists in the competition. And that health was not only reflected in a weekly injury list that revealed very few key players missing, but importantly, even fewer

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HUMBLE PIE by George on the Outer

    Seventeen wins in a row followed by a trio of losses.  The invincible Demon juggernaut was simply humbled by the Pies in that third loss, as once again they gave up an early three goal plus lead, to be over-run in the end. Is it loading? Perhaps. Is it the loss of players? Perhaps More likely, they are a combination of the two. Certainly, we have seen the side take an early lead in all of these games only to fade as reflected on the scoreboard where Melbourne has been outscored

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EARLY FREEZE by KC from Casey

    If the publicity ahead of Queens Birthday Monday was all about the Big Freeze and the game to follow the pre-game entertainment then the hardy group that braved the country’s cold snap to travel out to the windy plains beyond Cranbourne were given an early taste of what was to come in the Casey's big 52-point win over Collingwood VFL. The day started well with the Demons comprehensively beating the VFLW Magpies in the curtain-raiser elimination final and then their male counterparts donned

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE CURSE by Norm Smith’s Ghost

    Melbourne’s fortunes took a dramatic turn for the worst on the day the Anthony Albanese was elected as Prime Minister. Since that fateful day, Steven May pinged his hamstring early in the match against the Dockers, Harry Petty came off the ground in consecutive games feeling the worse for wear, it was revealed that Tom McDonald’s foot was in messy shape, the Herald Sun exclusively reported that two years ago, Demon committee members exchanged emails critical of the team after it lost a game by 5

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    BANGED UP by George On The Outer

    Melbourne v Sydney. City v City. Two top eight sides fighting for finals spots.  Sydney having beaten the Demons in ten of their last twelve encounters.    In what would turn out to be one of the most hotly contested games for the club in 2022, the physical damage to players was probably the deciding factor in the end.   Once again, Melbourne lost Tom McDonald pre-game to a yet unspecified foot injury.  More importantly was how much his work up the ground and bullocking influ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TEN by KC from Casey

    The slippery surface of the MCG was a minor detail for the Casey Demons as they waltzed away from the Sydney Swans to record their tenth win on end in their Saturday afternoon curtain raiser. The Demons conceded the first goal of the game before recording the next three (two to Sam Weideman) to hold a 16 point lead at the first break before the Swans pegged that back to a mere three points at half time. Casey dominated the third term with four goals to nil and thereafter the Swans’ resistan

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE COMEBACK by Whispering Jack

    How will Melbourne react to losing a game after such a long time since tasting defeat? That question is on everybody’s lips after the complete collapse of the team in the second half against Fremantle last week. When Bayley Fritsch missed his shot at goal 23 minutes into the second term, the Demons were 30 points ahead but from that point onward they were comprehensively overwhelmed as their structures fell apart all over the park. Unlike what occurred on a number of occasions during their

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SURVIVAL MODE by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons managed to survive a day of challenges that in many ways mirrored their AFL counterpart Narrm from the previous day but Casey emerged undefeated from their Round 10 encounter with Frankston at Skybus Stadium. Like the Demon seniors they were undermanned and lost players due to late withdrawals, went through an arm wrestle in the first quarters, took over the game in the second to set up a big lead before a late goal gave hope to their opponent and limped through a last half

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    DEES-MANTLED by George On The Outer

    Well the streak has finally ended, but in the worst possible way, when Fremantle absolutely dismantled Melbourne to record an emphatic 38 point win. This ended the 17 game winning streak of the Demons, but worse to report was that Melbourne led the game by nearly 5 goals in the second quarter, before the Dockers banged through 10 straight goals. In fact they kicked 13 goals to 1 from that point just before half time. So what happened?  Melbourne aren’t accustomed

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DISMANTLE by The Oracle

    The Flagmantle dynasty has been in train for less than half a season but on Saturday evening at the MCG its hopes are set to be derailed when it meets the team from Narrm. If you’re still living back in the days before the start of the 2022 AFL season then my opening comment probably makes very little sense. This is because very few people had heard of Narrm at the time and most folk could not then have anticipated the AFL’s early season rise of the Fremantle Dockers whose fans went into r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE CALM OF NARRM by George On The Outer

    In a fitting opening to the Doug Nicholls Round, the haunting voice of Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu spread calm around a near empty, misty Docklands stadium. Meanwhile, the Narrm players, quietly warming up pre-game, seemed to take on the same calmness for their upcoming task against North Melbourne.   Sure, this was the top of the ladder premiership side playing the lowly cellar dweller, but this Demons side is now one who just quietly go about their job, and slowly ever so slowly and ca

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...