PF: Melbourne vs Geelong

Demonland

4 minutes ago, A F said:

Cameron and Hawkins, probably in that order, worry me the most. But if we play the game our way, then we're playing a forward half game and those two don't see a lot of it.

As always, will be won in the midfield. Accuracy will also be a huge factor. Can we apply enough post clearance pressure and can we take our chances forward of centre? Do both of those and we win IMV.

In the footage of the Perth hub for the Dees' training this week, I noticed that Majak was on the training track doing some heavy body work and recovery drills with our most powerful operatives. Is this an ace up the sleeve? Might Majak have a role ahead with Hawkins up close? Might Cameron have a dance partner in May up close as a consequence? May and Hunt combined could fully negate the Cats' half-forward line, when one cosiders their pivotal structures.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I agree with this, but I think Rivers can take Rohan. There’s only a 1cm height difference between the two, and rivers has good wheels.

I think it’s going to be:

Hawkins - May

Cameron - Smith

Esava - Petty

Rohan - Rivers

Close - Lever

Bowey - Miers

Menegola - Salem

IMO if you put Rivers into a lockdown role on Rohan, particularly in a high pressure final, then we lose his drive from half back.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I agree with this, but I think Rivers can take Rohan. There’s only a 1cm height difference between the two, and rivers has good wheels.

I think it’s going to be:

Hawkins - May

Cameron - Smith

Esava - Petty

Rohan - Rivers

Close - Lever

Bowey - Miers

Menegola - Salem

This. Last time Lever was picking up a small (Dalhaus and others) and had 22 possessions with 12 intercepts. Port copied it and Alliir destroyed them.  Exactly the match up we will engineer. 

I’m usually happy with just a W but what I truly desire in this one is for us to give them a hiding they will never forget.

If anyone is due for a jolly good thrashing it’s Duckwood and co.

We’re very capable of doing it.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Pates said:

Not gonna lie, the nerves have kicked in already. Geelong have given us some of our worst moments in history and I’m not sure I could stomach us missing out on a grand final to them. 

Im telling you I could not and out of ANY team in the AFL JEELONG are my most Despised

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Watson11 said:

Dangerfield went to hospital.  So was Careless, High contact, high impact 3 weeks reduced to 2.

Kelly unhurt. So Careless, high contact, low impact. $1000 fine.  

Not saying that is ok but it’s the system 

But he played the following week. The hospital was just theatrics to maximise the suspension to Greene. 

I think Hawkins incident is more worthy of a suspension but everyone knows nothing will happen. 

• Like 1

Just now, CYB said:

But he played the following week. The hospital was just theatrics to maximise the suspension to Greene. 

I think Hawkins incident is more worthy of a suspension but everyone knows nothing will happen. 

Has anyone been on the phone to Josh Kelly asking him to checkin to hospital?  Christian Salem’s a good mate.  Surely he could get it done.

3 hours ago, Watson11 said:

Dangerfield went to hospital.  So was Careless, High contact, high impact 3 weeks reduced to 2.

Kelly unhurt. So Careless, high contact, low impact. $1000 fine.  

Not saying that is ok but it’s the system 

It was 2 weeks reduced to 1 week.

Dangerfield plays the following week.

Again, what's the difference?

1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

In the footage of the Perth hub for the Dees' training this week, I noticed that Majak was on the training track doing some heavy body work and recovery drills with our most powerful operatives. Is this an ace up the sleeve? Might Majak have a role ahead with Hawkins up close? Might Cameron have a dance partner in May up close as a consequence? May and Hunt combined could fully negate the Cats' half-forward line, when one cosiders their pivotal structures.

The likelihood of Majak getting a game in a final is basically zero. 

We will have Petty, May, Smith play on Hawkins, Cameron, Rohan and have Lever line up on Dalhus or Close. I doubt they will go with 4 talls again as they won’t get the same luxury as they did with Giants. 

if they do go four talls then I will do a rain dance. buy seriously all we would need to do is apply midfield pressure and they won’t get the clean inside 50 delivery making the ground balls easier to clean up and rebound.

Just now, CYB said:

The likelihood of Majak getting a game in a final is basically zero. 

We will have Petty, May, Smith play on Hawkins, Cameron, Rohan and have Lever line up on Dalhus or Close. I doubt they will go with 4 talls again as they won’t get the same luxury as they did with Giants. 

if they do go four talls then I will do a rain dance. buy seriously all we would need to do is apply midfield pressure and they won’t get the clean inside 50 delivery making the ground balls easier to clean up and rebound.

More chance they'd move McDonald back if  something catastrophic happened to both Lever and May this week....

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

It was 2 weeks reduced to 1 week.

Dangerfield plays the following week.

Again, what's the difference?

There was zero difference in the acts. It’s a flawed system, and corrupt.  Green got 2 weeks from the MRO because they decided on the Saturday after the game when Dangerfield had gone to hospital. GWS appealed and reduced it to 1. 
Either way, I would prefer them to all play (and Tom Stewart to get a few needles and play) so they have no excuses.

I have a sneaking feeling Hunt just may come back in this week. He was playing well before injured and was nearly ready last week. He gives us great run and carry and he hadn't done much wrong prior to injury. In fact he's had his best season. One of Smith and Bowey to go if this happens.

My gut feeling would be Bowey if this was to happen, as Smith is more versatile with a hardened, if not injury prone, body. I think Bowey is fantastic and will be a core player in years to come and he too hasn't done much wrong. I am a big fan.

However a Preliminary Final is where the stakes are raised even higher and I wonder if a first year body against a very match hardened outfit is the way to go. 

I think a fit Jayden Hunt has earned the right to be there and his run and dare could cut swathes through a slowing Geelong outfit. He and Langdon running in tandem through the middle has been one of the more thrilling sights on occasions this year.

If Bowey is picked, he has earned the right to be there on form, but in my opinion, I just think Hunt is the way to go given the opposition and the level of the stakes.   

Edited by Key Deefender
  • Like 13

14 minutes ago, Key Deefender said:

I have a sneaking feeling Hunt just may come back in this week. He was playing well before injured and was nearly ready last week. He gives us great run and carry and he hadn't done much wrong prior to injury. In fact he's had his best season. One of Smith and Bowey to go if this happens.

My gut feeling would be Bowey if this was to happen, as Smith is more versatile with a hardened, if not injury prone, body. I think Bowey is fantastic and will be a core player in years to come and he too hasn't done much wrong. I am a big fan.

However a Preliminary Final is where the stakes are raised even higher and I wonder if a first year body against a very match hardened outfit is the way to go. 

I think a fit Jayden Hunt has earned the right to be there and his run and dare could cut swathes through a slowing Geelong outfit. He and Langdon running in tandem through the middle has been one of the more thrilling sights on occasions this year.

If Bowey is picked, he has earned the right to be there on form, but in my opinion, I just think Hunt is the way to go given the opposition and the level of the stakes.   

Careful.........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P-man said:

I’m usually happy with just a W but what I truly desire in this one is for us to give them a hiding they will never forget.

If anyone is due for a jolly good thrashing it’s Duckwood and co.

We’re very capable of doing it.

I’m already so nervous, mainly because the thought of losing to Geelong makes me feel ill.

• Like 5

I reckon the 18 prelim will fuel the boys in a big way, i reckon not only do we win, but i think in the first quarter we make a big statement and grab a decent lead 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

I reckon the 18 prelim will fuel the boys in a big way, i reckon not only do we win, but i think in the first quarter we make a big statement and grab a decent lead 

Hope so.

Could almost say the Cats loss to us in the last round could also fuel them which worries me more.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Hope so.

Could almost say the Cats loss to us in the last round could also fuel them which worries me more.

I reckon it might do the opposite Dazzle, they were 44 points up on us, on their home deck where they hardly ever lose and still couldn't beat us. they'd have to be wondering what chance they are away from home. 

also they'd have to be aware they're not getting an easy path out of centre bounce goal side this game, we had one eye on finals and probably only played Dees footy for 1 quarter 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

I reckon it might do the opposite Dazzle, they were 44 points up on us, on their home deck where they hardly ever lose and still couldn't beat us. they'd have to be wondering what chance they are away from home. 

also they'd have to be aware they're not getting an easy path out of centre bounce goal side this game, we had one eye on finals and probably only played Dees footy for 1 quarter 

I watched a Jeremy Cameron interview after the game last night where they asked him about playing Melb next week and what the round 23 game meant. He said there was lots of learnings from that game which will help them this week.

I think that’s what it’ll will come down to. Who learnt the most from the round 23 game. I’m confident that Goody would have spent a lot of time on that 2nd qtr and they’ll analyse it again this week.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I watched a Jeremy Cameron interview after the game last night where they asked him about playing Melb next week and what the round 23 game meant. He said there was lots of learnings from that game which will help them this week.

I think that’s what it’ll will come down to. Who learnt the most from the round 23 game. I’m confident that Goody would have spent a lot of time on that 2nd qtr and they’ll analyse it again this week.

Learnings are one thing - they are an old team playing a possession style against a force of Demon nature, hungry and young. They can learn all they like, as long we don’t allow them passage into the middle of the ground in transition and break even in stoppages - we will win and restore balance to the universe.

• Like 6
  • Love 1