COVID & AFL 2021

Demonland

This is a mob of course being overwhelmingly supported to the "hilt" by the Media as a whole who, while being openly ambivalent, are being covertly contacted and subsequently purged (to use an old Soviet term) by the Fed.... 

• Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, old dee said:

Hardly a surprise DJ. I have a bad feeling about this out break. At best I think games will only go ahead this weekend without crowds. But who knows where we are headed. Netflix looks like getting a return not that I have stopped. 

Probably to Metricon and the GABBA again.

4 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Collingwood playing Adelaide on Saturday week over there.

Would be interesting to see how that one plays out.

Aren't Adelaide coming here this week?

I had the first AZ vaccination last Sunday. Just a very mild headache for a day afterwards. The clotting risk is lower as you get older, for 70-year-olds it's about 2 per million. Less than the chance of a car accident on the way to the clinic.

Sometime, events will be limited to fully vaccinated people. That's an incentive to get it.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Yep this weekend.

Pies to Adelaide the following weekend.

Yeah Pies to Adelaide might be more problematic due to the time that they haven't been in a bubble meaning prior to today.

Adelaide coming here for a short period of time is more controlled.

28 minutes ago, old dee said:

Hardly a surprise DJ. I have a bad feeling about this out break. At best I think games will only go ahead this weekend without crowds. But who knows where we are headed. Netflix looks like getting a return not that I have stopped. 

Yep, Indian variant. 50% more contagious than UK variant. It would be very Melbourne for us to thrash the dogs this Friday and then watch the season go down the toilet haha.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nairobi_Demon said:

This still baffles me. Respected scientists were advocating for government investment in mRNA manufacturing capacity since June last year. Apparently it is not that expensive - maybe $100m to get going - and the technology is thought to have significant other benefits, including cancer treatment. What’s the downside of making this investment?  

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the only commitment to invest in mRNA that I’ve seen was the $50m the Vic Govt announced about two months ago. We’re likely to need COVID variant vaccines/boosters in the next few years, mRNA is the most adaptable technology, why aren’t we jumping on this?

Edit: this article dated just this past Monday indicates the government has just now invited proposals for establishing mRNA manufacturing capacity.  Surely this could have been done at least six months ago even not longer and surely three years to establish production is not sufficiently ambitious in the context and given others have argued it could be done in 12 months. 

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/government-makes-no-promises-as-it-looks-for-mrna-producers-20210524-p57uix.html

The Fed Gov is imposing austerity and has been outside of JobKeeper and JobSeeker since the middle of last year. Now that they've stopped JobKeeper, there's essentially very little being invested in the Australian people because neoliberals on both sides think we have to pay down gov debt that can only be purchased with dollars created by the government in the first place.

As usual, the Fed (the sole legal issuer of the AUD) is leaving everything up to the revenue constrained states, so Victoria are investing when it should come from the Fed Gov. Same with social housing. If the Fed Gov hadn't monumentally stuffed up vaccinations, we'd all be going to the footy, no worries. Even @old dee.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, old dee said:

Yep

was heading off on Monday for a roadtrip to Alice. Had my tickets for the game.

SA border closure has put an end to that

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Webber said:

To clarify, those forty-somethings weren’t in any ‘eligible’ category (age excepted).

Yes they were eligible.  Those individuals who are under 50 were able to get vaccinated if they had other medical issues. 

There are precedents for enforcing health or social policy.

Some aboriginal settlements have a "no school, no pool" policy. You can't enrol your kids in any kindergarten or school now without certain vaccination certificates. I don't see it as unreasonable that people couldn't attend crowded places (including football) without being vaccinated.

The difficulty is working out the system and identification to control it. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, A F said:

The Fed Gov is imposing austerity and has been outside of JobKeeper and JobSeeker since the middle of last year. Now that they've stopped JobKeeper, there's essentially very little being invested in the Australian people because neoliberals on both sides think we have to pay down gov debt that can only be purchased with dollars created by the government in the first place.

As usual, the Fed (the sole legal issuer of the AUD) is leaving everything up to the revenue constrained states, so Victoria are investing when it should come from the Fed Gov. Same with social housing. If the Fed Gov hadn't monumentally stuffed up vaccinations, we'd all be going to the footy, no worries. Even @old dee.

In spite of having my first shot a month ago I won’t be going until at least the end July when the second is due. May not have to worry of course they could be all in QLD again.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Possibility that we won't play in Alice Springs next week?

Pretty high now I imagine, a massive overreaction and fearmongering strikes again.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Possibility that we won't play in Alice Springs next week?

Do we have any idea why this game is postponed??

1 minute ago, Jaded said:

Could do with a demolition job. 

That'll do it. They can deep clean the G while they're at it. Even after COVID there was still the baked on bird poo on my seat that has been there for nearly a decade. #firstworldproblem

• Haha 4

Just a reminder to try to keep personal politics out of discussion. I know things can get heated and we're all frustrated with the situation. Try to keep it civil and definitely don't take your political revenge on someone in the actual footy threads.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, old dee said:

There is almost no reason not to have the Astra one. Add in you don't know you are in a safe area that is the whole point. 95% of people at the G last Sunday thought they were in a safe zone. 

I understand OD, but your dig at your 70yo mate as if he puts others at risk I think is misplaced. One of the problems with AZ is the overall efficacy rate against all strains of Covid. If as been quoted it is about 65% effective you need close to 100% take up to achieve herd immunity. The mRna jabs over 88% effective meaning approx 70% take up achieves herd immunity. My feeling is that eventually we will all be offered an mRna vaccine even those that have had the AZ Rna jabs. Any way stay safe my friend.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demonland said:

That'll do it. They can deep clean the G while they're at it. Even after COVID there was still the baked on bird poo on my seat that has been there for nearly a decade. #firstworldproblem

We have eliminated MCG baked bird poo as a source.

• Haha 2