Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     


Recommended Posts

This morning, on Gerard Whately's segment, the "Means Test", David King suggested that Melbourne need to start looking at strategically resting players, with a view to cranking up again, in the last 3rd of the season.

Given that many of us on here, think that Maxy is either carrying an injury or is just tired,  Fritta, only just recently had surgery on a broken hand and by his recent standards, was ordinary against the Swans.  Gus is not going particularly well.  Both Kozzie and Dogga are young and almost certainly need a rest before the home and away is over. Despite word from the club to the contrary, Trac must be sore after collecting a corky right on the siren

Is David King right?  Should we tank.... sorry..."manage" our core group now, or wait a bit longer?  I want to beat Carltank more than anything this week.

After that, let's see.  Your thoughts?

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My recommendation to Goody . . . listen to King on Monday and do the exact opposite on Saturday. 

The AFL have for once gifted Melbourne a great mid-year break.   We play Brisbane in Alice Springs on Friday 4 June. We next play on QB, 14 June against Collingwood. We have a bye the f

Why don't we just win all the games from here till next year, and play the best team each week to win that week?

Posted (edited)

No where near close to resting players. But, 8-0 means that a slight niggle vs say Adelaide etc might turn into a week injury.

Back 1/3 of the season if you have top 2 locked up then sure.

Edited by Gorgoroth
  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don't we just win all the games from here till next year, and play the best team each week to win that week?

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If there no injuries to replace then resting up to too players could be considered. There are quite a few waiting for a chance to prove themselves. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Queanbeyan Demon said:

How many games of footy has he coached in the AFL?

He was an assistant at Richmond,   But in terms of your question, I would suggest the point is moot.  He's be in an around elite AFL environments for a considerable period, so I reckon he might know just a wee bit more than most on here.

In any event, my basic question is, if we are to manage players, then when should that be?

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

good god no

play the best team every week to win every week

consistency of personnel is key to, well, consistency

So, are you saying, we play the best 22 week in week out, even at the cost of long term injury?

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, I'va Worn Smith said:

So, are you saying, we play the best 22 week in week out, even at the cost of long term injury?

the question is premature after only 8 rounds

let's revisit it around round 15 or so

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, I'va Worn Smith said:

So, are you saying, we play the best 22 week in week out, even at the cost of long term injury?

you can't stop an lti

if a player is incapable of taking the field, they don't play

all players are sore already at this point of the year

we are playing consistent, process-driven football by dint of having a consistent side with a consistent approach

you don't 'mess' with it when you've achieved nothing; we're not richmond

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

you can't stop an lti

if a player is incapable of taking the field, they don't play

all players are sore already at this point of the year

we are playing consistent, process-driven football by dint of having a consistent side with a consistent approach

you don't 'mess' with it when you've achieved nothing; we're not richmond

Please read my originating post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not even half way through the year, and there is plenty more footy to come. One week at a time and keep banking the 4 points, if players are carrying an injury (I think Trac might be a chance at having this week off) then give someone else a crack. I remember North started a year with 9 wins and scraped into finals. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Pates said:

Not even half way through the year, and there is plenty more footy to come. One week at a time and keep banking the 4 points, if players are carrying an injury (I think Trac might be a chance at having this week off) then give someone else a crack. I remember North started a year with 9 wins and scraped into finals. 

Thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon the youngsters Kozzie, Dogga, Jordon and Rivers will tire and need a break at some stage. If players are carrying knocks (none spring to mind although there is some conjecture about whether Maxy is carrying an injury) then by all means rest them

I think round 8 is too early to be resting our mature players. They have a few pre seasons in their legs so shouldn’t need a break this early. Later on in the season if the club feel a break would freshen them up then go for it. The key is to have the team firing for September and if some strategic management of players ensures that then I’m all for it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

I reckon the youngsters Kozzie, Dogga, Jordon and Rivers will tire and need a break at some stage. If players are carrying knocks (none spring to mind although there is some conjecture about whether Maxy is carrying an injury) then by all means rest them

I think round 8 is too early to be resting our mature players. They have a few pre seasons in their legs so shouldn’t need a break this early. Later on in the season if the club feel a break would freshen them up then go for it. The key is to have the team firing for September and if some strategic management of players ensures that then I’m all for it.

At no stage, in my originating post, did I even remotely suggest players should be rested now.  I raised an issue ,which was discussed on radio this morning, about when might be an appropriate time to rest players.  That is all.  Once the timing may be decided, then the mix of players being rested wil become the key.

Edited by I'va Worn Smith
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree to an extent. Not now but perhaps in the next 5 weeks we need to look at it. Happy to rest a mid and let Gus go in the middle for couple of games. Rest a big forward to give Weid a run. Generally if players at Casey are knocking the door down you should give them a taste. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, I'va Worn Smith said:

This morning, on Gerard Whately's segment, the "Means Test", David King suggested that Melbourne need to start looking at strategically resting players, with a view to cranking up again, in the last 3rd of the season.

Given that many of us on here, think that Maxy is either carrying an injury or is just tired,  Fritta, only just recently had surgery on a broken hand and by his recent standards, was ordinary against the Swans.  Gus is not going particularly well.  Both Kozzie and Dogga are young and almost certainly need a rest before the home and away is over. Despite word from the club to the contrary, Trac must be sore after collecting a corky right on the siren

Is David King right?  Should we tank.... sorry..."manage" our core group now, or wait a bit longer?  I want to beat Carltank more than anything this week.

After that, let's see.  Your thoughts?

 

I currently have every bit of faith in Burgess and co to appropriately manage each individual's workload throughout the season. 

David King suggests we need to start looking at resting players based on what information? He hasn't any access to players GPS data, medical reports, anything at all. Trust the club to make good decisions and not get spooked by this d-bag.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, I'va Worn Smith said:

At no stage, in my originating post, did I even remotely suggest players should be rested now.  I raised an issue ,which was discussed on radio this morning, about when might be an appropriate time to rest players.  That is all.  Once the timing may be decided, then the mix pf players being rested wil become the key.

I think you did. How should i have read the below. At the least you implied it.

51 minutes ago, I'va Worn Smith said:

David King suggested that Melbourne need to start looking at strategically resting players, with a view to cranking up again, in the last 3rd of the season.

All good IWS. It's a topic worth discussing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Far too early to even consider resting players. I heard David King. Do not agree. 
If a Player is Injured, bring a replacement in, otherwise keep the side together 

Do not show arrogance at Round 9

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, I'va Worn Smith said:

He was an assistant at Richmond,   But in terms of your question, I would suggest the point is moot.  He's be in an around elite AFL environments for a considerable period, so I reckon he might know just a wee bit more than most on here.

In any event, my basic question is, if we are to manage players, then when should that be?

I'm sure there would be other ex-players who would hold an opposite view

You don't flirt with form, particular in our situation. Perhaps if we'd already been up for a couple of years yeah, sure but not after 1/3 of a good season in 3 years.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    HOT PIES FREEZE DEES by George on the Outer

    In the Annual Big Freeze game in support of Neale Daniher's fight against MND, it was Collingwood who froze the ambitions of the Demons, and it now challenges them to thaw out their prospects in the second half of the season. Even though Melbourne opened the scoring account, it was quickly countered by Collingwood, as the Demons appeared flat. And even though they held a minor lead at the first break, it was only through a couple of fortunate efforts, but nothing more.  All around

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    FROZEN by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne supporters are an unusual lot. Their lived experiences over years of witnessing their team’s humiliation at the hands of the competition’s bullies have left them suspended in a Bizarro World beset by a cognitive distortion know as 'mental filtering'. This is a phenomenon that occurs when people focus exclusively and blindly on long held belief systems. They refuse to accept that conditions have changed so when the evidence is present before their very own eyes, their minds are frozen.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 4

    CHANGES: 2021 MID SEASON by The Oracle 

    Since the end of the 2020 free agency, trade and draft period, AFL clubs have had two further bites of the cherry to top up their lists — the supplemental selection period (SSP) and the 2021 mid-season rookie draft (MSD). The main idea behind both was to enable the fulfillment of immediate needs as a result of injuries or unexpected retirements but this year, we have seen the added dimension of straight out recruitment for the future rather than for now. As a consequence, a number of ready

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    LION TAMERS by George On The Outer

    In an enthralling game between two top four sides, it was the Demons who tamed the Lions, and propelled themselves into the position of premiership favourite even though the season is barely past the halfway mark. This is because Melbourne keeps on beating those teams around them who might provide a challenge. Not only that, it keeps winning with emphatic displays of resilience and toughness that have not been seen in a Demons side for many, many years. Challenged in the first half of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DUELING BANJOS by Whispering Jack

    In the classic Australian poem, A B “Banjo” Paterson sought the answer by letter to a question concerning the whereabouts of a drover named “Clancy”. The response from Clancy’s shearing mate was written with a thumb-nail dipped in tar: “Clancy’s gone to Queensland droving, and we don’t know where he are.” Most of us would have felt a little bit that way earlier in the week wondering about the possible whereabouts of the Melbourne team for this week’s encounter against Brisbane. Were th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DOGGED DEEFENCE by George on the Outer

    “No-one let the Dogs out” was the Demons response for the (former) top side.  The Melbourne defence, capably lead by Steven May and Jake Lever simply suffocated any hopes that the Western Bulldogs might have had about leading the competition at the mid-way point. Instead, it is the Demons who now sit at the top of the ladder, again a game clear, while their supporters are starting to believe that this side is the real deal.  Pity is that those same supporters couldn’t watch their team demol

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LOOK AWAY DEMON FANS by The Oracle

    Last week I predicted a comfortable Melbourne victory for its game against Adelaide. “Something in the order of 61 points”, I opined. Well, after the game, I checked the wording of my preview very carefully from all angles and I have now concluded that I have to issue an apology to Demon fans. I got it wrong. I’m not bitter and twisted about my error in failing to predict the coaching errors, defensive mistakes, lack of forward pressure and, of course, the complete failure of those officiat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CALM BEFORE THE CALM by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons overcame a sluggish first half to run over the Sydney Swans in the second to record an emphatic 40 point victory, maintaining their undefeated record and retaining top spot on the VFL ladder. The game originally listed as part of the Round 4 fixture but delayed due to a Covid19 scare in Sydney and the scrappy way in which the teams approached the contest suggested that the players were still in delay mode. This applied in particular to most of the 12 AFL listed Casey player

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NOTHING TO CROW ABOUT by George On The Outer

    Melbourne’s nine game winning streak  came to an end in Adelaide with a one point loss to the Crows. Losing to a team that had only won three games for the season, having lost five in a row was certainly nothing to crow about.  All around the ground players collectively put in their poorest performance for the year.  The loss of Christian Salem before the match was critical, as his replacement Nev Jetta is a mere shadow the player he once was. The mind is still willing, but the body no

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CRYING OVER SPILT MILK by The Oracle

    It had to happen sooner or later. Melbourne has been riding high through the season to date and, with the exception of a small bunch of nuff nuffs who are never satisfied with anything, the club has attracted more positive vibes from the community in these nine weeks than it did in the past decade. So it came as no surprise to see some low grade stirring of the sort which only the media could come up with at a time like this. The on line site Zero Hanger came up with an article that opined,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CATNIPPED by KC from Casey

    After winning big away from home across the first three rounds of the new look VFL competition, the Casey Demons were forced to dig deep against Geelong VFL at Casey Fields on Saturday. The traditional AFL based teams were evenly matched, fielding ten listed players apiece and this was reflected in the evenness of the game and the final margin which saw the home side leading by a solitary point on the final siren. Casey suffered an early blow when Jake Bowey came off with what ap

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    BLUES IN THE RED by George On The Outer

    While the Demons’ undefeated run continues unabated now at 9-0 their emphatic 26 point victory pushed the Blues to their sixth loss for the season and deeper into the red for the year. While Melbourne opened proceedings with an early goal, the Blues responded with the next two to grab an early lead.  However, as has happened in so many games this year, the Demons fought back to lead by just over a goal come the first break. This narrow lead was part of a streak either side of quarter t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...