Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     

Next Fixture Block Delayed



Recommended Posts


Damn. I'm crossing my fingers that our game in Hobart is on the Saturday to work with the flights I've booked. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

75% Crowds may be short lived. 
I certainly don’t want another Lockdown in Melbourne, but i am a little vworried. 
the virus 🦠 is still around and the vaccinations are dreadfully slow

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

Damn. I'm crossing my fingers that our game in Hobart is on the Saturday to work with the flights I've booked. 

The way North are playing, 4:40 Sunday.🥶

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Marty said:

The way North are playing, 4:40 Sunday.🥶

Hope not Marty. It's always been a Saturday afternoon up until now. We had booked tickets with the credits we had from last years cancelled game down there with the return flight being the last service back on the Sunday night but just a week after booking they cancelled that flight and now have us coming back at around 4pm on the Sunday. Not that I mind too much because there's sod all to do in Hobart on a Sunday with most places closed. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

75% Crowds may be short lived. 
I certainly don’t want another Lockdown in Melbourne, but i am a little vworried. 
the virus 🦠 is still around and the vaccinations are dreadfully slow

 

How is it possible that a nurse in a Brisbane hospital is working without being vaccinated when everyone else is and vaccine is available? Just incompetence IMO. Anyone who thinks this is over is kidding themselves.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Demon_spurs said:

Looking to go to the Alice game, already missed cheaper flights due to the fact I don't know what day the game is on. Makes it hard to plan.

Stay home and safe some money. I am on the gold coast and just a week ago I thought it would be fine. Looking at returning tomorrow. Sadly having a holiday outside of your state is just too risky. Victoria for me for the next couple of years. Fortunately at my age I have done a lot of travel so staying in Victoria is no big deal. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw somewhere the delay was HQ hoping Essendon and Carlton would start winning so marquee timeslots could be justified.

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, old dee said:

Stay home and safe some money. I am on the gold coast and just a week ago I thought it would be fine. Looking at returning tomorrow. Sadly having a holiday outside of your state is just too risky. Victoria for me for the next couple of years. Fortunately at my age I have done a lot of travel so staying in Victoria is no big deal. 

OD, I get it and I do weigh up the risks, but you can't live under a rock (ULURU) for ever. (see what I did there?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Demon_spurs said:

OD, I get it and I do weigh up the risks, but you can't live under a rock (ULURU) for ever. (see what I did there?)

Well it has cost me a fortune to leave at 7am tomorrow. So it is Victoria for the foreseeable future for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be a blessing in disguise (the delay)

We've got another game (against GWS) to stake a claim for prime-time TV slots.  Win & win well and the Ch7 execs could deal us a good hand

Included in the 6 round block (R7 - R12) are match-ups against a rejuvenated Sydney, a backs to the wall Lions and a well performed Bulldogs outfit ... all likely candidates for FTA

Lose against the Giants and we'll blow our chances.

So there's a lot to play for

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Macca said:

Might be a blessing in disguise (the delay)

We've got another game (against GWS) to stake a claim for prime-time TV slots.  Win & win well and the Ch7 execs could deal us a good hand

Included in the 6 round block (R7 - R12) are match-ups against a rejuvenated Sydney, a backs to the wall Lions and a well performed Bulldogs outfit ... all likely candidates for FTA

Lose against the Giants and we'll blow our chances.

So there's a lot to play for

Win against GWS and another 5/10,000 through the gate vs Cats !!! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 58er said:

Win against GWS and another 5/10,000 through the gate vs Cats !!! 

I am way less concerned about crowd sizes during Covid - the actual effects & residual effects of Covid will continue on for this season and next (especially re the walk-ups)

So those monitoring crowds will need to temper their expectations and take a more realistic approach.  The 21k we got for round 1 doesn't look too shabby when we look at all the other crowd numbers for the other games

North 13k, Sydney 20k, Bulldogs 21k etc etc ... the big match-ups has seen a big drop in numbers as well

Crowds are down right across the board so the new 60k is more like 45k or 50k

But prime-time free-to-air is a way different story ... we've got a chance to state our case so in my opinion, we need to win well (and impress) in order to give ourselves a good chance at getting a few prime time TV in the next block of games

The value in securing these games is invaluable ... sponsorship, corporate dollar, membership and gaining new supporters and more exposure is front & centre

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

you'd think in the next block...

  • rd 7 vs north - fox sports
  • rd 8 vs sydney - channel 7
  • rd 9 vs carlton - toss up but you'd think fox sports
  • rd 10 vs adelaide crows - fox sports
  • rd 11 vs footscray - channel 7
  • rd 12 vs brisbane lions - fox sports
  • rd 13 vs collingwood - channel 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

you'd think in the next block...

  • rd 7 vs north - fox sports
  • rd 8 vs sydney - channel 7
  • rd 9 vs carlton - toss up but you'd think fox sports
  • rd 10 vs adelaide crows - fox sports
  • rd 11 vs footscray - channel 7
  • rd 12 vs brisbane lions - fox sports
  • rd 13 vs collingwood - channel 7

Brisbane winning tonight increases the chances of our game against them being a FTA game ... of course the game is at Alice Springs but last year the game was played in the evening

Agree with the rest of your assessment ... Ch7 do like putting up Carlton games so you never know. 

I heard somewhere that they might announce 2-4 rounds only ... makes sense in terms of the Covid situations & maximising audiences

That sort of thinking is here to stay I believe which won't please those who like to plan in advance

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Macca said:

Brisbane winning tonight increases the chances of our game against them being a FTA game ... of course the game is at Alice Springs but last year the game was played in the evening

Agree with the rest of your assessment ... Ch7 do like putting up Carlton games so you never know. 

I heard somewhere that they might announce 2-4 rounds only ... makes sense in terms of the Covid situations & maximising audiences

That sort of thinking is here to stay I believe which won't please those who like to plan in advance

I think there's a hybrid possibility, whereby games are locked in for the entire season but with certain Saturday games eligible to be swapped into the Friday night slot, or the Saturday night slot, something like 2 or so weeks in advance.

Largely allows flexibility but then avoids dud games getting prime time slots.

As to the Round 7-12 block, our problems are:

  1. In Round 8 we play Sydney but we'll have to compete with Richmond v Geelong and the Showdown
  2. In Round 9 we play Carlton but Port plays the Dogs, St Kilda plays Geelong and Sydney plays Collingwood
  3. In Round 11 we play the Dogs but Collingwood plays Geelong
  4. In Round 12 we play Brisbane in Alice Springs, but it's Dreamtime at the G that week too. If we and Brisbane remain OK, would they put that game on a Friday night? Would be great, I think.

But as you say, if we win and hopefully look OK doing so this Sunday, we'll give ourselves our best chance of getting good timeslots on FTA. Carlton and Essendon continuing to struggle will help us too, as it should mean they aren't in serious contention for those slots.

Edited by titan_uranus
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

it is pretty rare for ch 7 to air two interstate sides against each other as a fta broadcast

thinking about it further and factoring in the games set for the same round, i think the one against the bears might be a chance for the 3.20pm spot on sunday from the alice, and sydney far more likely to be fox but it could also be the sunday fta spot

  • rd 7 vs north - fox sports (sunday at 1.10pm)
  • rd 8 vs sydney - fox sports (sunday at 1.10pm)
  • rd 9 vs carlton - toss up but you'd think fox sports (saturday afternoon at 2.10pm 1.45pm)
  • rd 10 vs adelaide crows - fox sports (saturday night at 7.25pm)
  • rd 11 vs footscray - channel 7 (saturday night at 7.25pm or sunday arvo at 3.20pm)
  • rd 12 vs brisbane lions - channel 7 (sunday arvo at 3.20pm)
  • rd 13 vs collingwood - channel 7 (monday at 3.20pm)

a lot may factor in to how we go in the next round or two and whether they actually only do up til round 10

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I think there's a hybrid possibility, whereby games are locked in for the entire season but with certain Saturday games eligible to be swapped into the Friday night slot, or the Saturday night slot, something like 2 or so weeks in advance.

Largely allows flexibility but then avoids dud games getting prime time slots.

As to the Round 7-12 block, our problems are:

  1. In Round 8 we play Sydney but we'll have to compete with Richmond v Geelong and the Showdown
  2. In Round 9 we play Carlton but Port plays the Dogs, St Kilda plays Geelong and Sydney plays Collingwood
  3. In Round 11 we play the Dogs but Collingwood plays Geelong
  4. In Round 12 we play Brisbane in Alice Springs, but it's Dreamtime at the G that week too. If we and Brisbane remain OK, would they put that game on a Friday night? Would be great, I think.

But as you say, if we win and hopefully look OK doing so this Sunday, we'll give ourselves our best chance of getting good timeslots on FTA. Carlton and Essendon continuing to struggle will help us too, as it should mean they aren't in serious contention for those slots.

The Sunday arvo free-to-air slot is more of a probability (but that is so much better than the early Sunday or late arvo Saturday slots on cable (or streaming) 

A pointer might be our R4 & R5 games - Cats & Hawks Ch7 3pm Sunday slots.  A proving ground?

My bet is 1 prime time & 2 Sunday arvo free-to-air games in the R7 - R12 allotments but we might get 2 prime time games

That would make it 8 FTA games out of 13 if we ink in the QB clash.  And that's a good result if augers well

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2021 at 7:11 PM, Rab D Nesbitt said:

Hope not Marty. It's always been a Saturday afternoon up until now. We had booked tickets with the credits we had from last years cancelled game down there with the return flight being the last service back on the Sunday night but just a week after booking they cancelled that flight and now have us coming back at around 4pm on the Sunday. Not that I mind too much because there's sod all to do in Hobart on a Sunday with most places closed. 

I’m sure you’ll be right Rab D! 1:45 Saturday, makes the most sense, West Coast v Freo would be the late Sunday game. Hoping for a better result this time!! I drive the round trip from the North West coast. It would be quicker to fly to Melbourne from Burnie then catch a flight to Hobart😁 But then I wouldn’t be able to pick up my Mad Melbourne Supporting Mum from Launceston on the way. After that atrocity rd23, 2019. Which was 2:10 on Saturday!! We vowed never to go to another game in Hobart!! This year we can’t wait to go watch Benny Kick 10. How things change!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Macca said:

The Sunday arvo free-to-air slot is more of a probability (but that is so much better than the early Sunday or late arvo Saturday slots on cable (or streaming) 

A pointer might be our R4 & R5 games - Cats & Hawks Ch7 3pm Sunday slots.  A proving ground?

My bet is 1 prime time & 2 Sunday arvo free-to-air games in the R7 - R12 allotments but we might get 2 prime time games

That would make it 8 FTA games out of 13 if we ink in the QB clash.  And that's a good result if augers well

Agree re: the Sunday 3.20pm slot.

Our destiny is in our hands TBH. If we can maintain good form through the first six rounds (beating GWS and Hawthorn, meaning we're 4-2 at the worst, is critical), we give ourselves the best chance of a Friday or Saturday night slot (or a Thursday if those persist).

The Round 8 Sydney game is surely a chance if we can both keep our early season form up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    MOGGIES MASTERED by George on the Outer

    They say that herding cats is an impossible task but not for the Melbourne Demons who through relentless pressure, scored a commanding 25 point victory in Round 4 over Geelong at the MCG. The team that missed the AFL finals only once in the past dozen years were shown up by the new Demons of 2021 who have recorded their first 4-0 opening to the season in 21 years! Melbourne knew what was coming, and it was Geelong who were shown up for their inability to adapt to the 2021 style of foot

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNDER MY SKIN by The Oracle

    The story goes that there’s a certain player from Geelong who has been seen in Moorabool Street crooning the old Sinatra classic, “I’ve got you under my skin.” His name is O’Connor and he’s been tasked to achieve one thing on Sunday by his coach, Chris Scott: to get under the skin of a Demon midfielder on Sunday and thereby tag him out of the big contest at the G. The idea behind the tactic is to not only blunt one of the team’s most destructive weapons but to distract them all from producing th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MAX IN SPACE

    Demon skipper Max Gawn is one big unit at 208cm and lately he’s been standing even taller. We already know that he’s unstoppable in the air when going for a mark but with three consecutive victories to open the season, you might say that he has his head in the clouds.  And that is literally true thanks to a fan at Demonland.com who recently arranged for our big ruckman to go even further than the clouds but way beyond to the edge of space and into the stratosphere. And this photograph of Ma

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 25

    CAPITAL PUNISHMENT by George on the Outer

    A 34-point win in the nation’s capital has seen the Demons kill the Giants hopes early in the 2021 season. It wasn’t only the scoreboard, but a succession of injuries to major players for GWS that has put paid to their aspirations. The winning result wasn’t just due to the opposition losing players, but also to the relentless pressure from this 2021 Melbourne side that put them in the winners circle. In past years, a 16 point deficit at the first change combined with a rampant Toby Greene w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    POWER AND THE PASSION by Whispering Jack

    The Demons ran out for their Qualifying Final match against the Fremantle Dockers at Casey Fields as the sounds of Midnight Oils’ “Power and the Passion cascaded over the mainly friendly pro-Melbourne crowd. It was a far cry from the season opener at Carrara in late January where few of their fans were in attendance in high 20’s heat and humidity and silence greeted every score from the slow-starting Demons. They ran away from the lowly Suns, won comfortably in the end and followed that with ano

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BREAK OUT by Whispering Jack

    Despite the chaotic events occurring in Canberra over the past few weeks, one thing is for certain. This weekend’s game at Manuka Oval in the nation’s capital between the GWS Giants and Melbourne will decide which of Scott Morrison or Leon Cameron is the most under the pump at this point in time.  This time twelve months ago, the Giants were coming off a season in which they had played off in a grand final. They opened up their 2020 campaign with a resounding 32-point victory in round 1 aga

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MARVELOUS PRESSURE by George on the Outer

    Is this a new form of Melbourne which has suddenly emerged in 2021?  In the past, whenever the pressure was applied, the team would falter early and as a consequence, it would more often than not, be forced to confront its own self-inflicted failure. But perhaps not so this year. The match at Marvel Stadium against the Saints provided an insight into how creating pressure, actually relieves it on the club, players and coach. Right from the start, Melbourne was there to make a stat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STUCK IN THE MIDDLE by The Oracle

    Throughout the off season, St Kilda was touted as an improver and a possible challenger for a top four position mainly off the back of another good trade and draft period at the end of last year. Then in Round 1, the undermanned Saints made a shaky start and almost succumbed to the Giants but they managed to come home from a wet and woolly Sydney with the four points intact. For Round 2, they have a couple of handy players returning so they come into the the game at Marvel Stadium choc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A SCRAPPY, SLOPPY SUCCESS by George on the Outer

    After what seemed like an eternity without Footy in Melbourne, the Demons and their fans produced a scrappy, sloppy yet successful return to the MCG. Yet is was against an interstate team from the furthest reaches of the country, but the 21K fans who made it through the gates, was way below expectations for numbers.  Sure it can’t have helped with all the difficulty that Ticketek imposed just to get a ticket, and since you just couldn’t walk up, perhaps the number wasn’t that surprising.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNFINISHED BUSINESS by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club has unfinished business with Fremantle after that unexpected loss in their previous clash at Cazaly’s Stadium in Cairns cost it a place in last year’s finals campaign.   Back then, the tired Demons spluttered listlessly through the humid conditions in tropical far North Queensland playing in and losing two games in the space of four days and against two lowly clubs. The end result was much more than an embarrassment for the club given what was at stake at th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    PRACTICE PUMMELLING by George on the Outer

    Was this a practice for what lay ahead for the Demons in 2021 or was it an outcome to expect because it was used as a true practice game? Those of us on the outside will never know, but a 39 point loss to the Western Bulldogs was a pummelling in anyone’s language. We can draw some consolation from the players that Melbourne put on the field, with Toby Bedford, Jake Bowey, Kade Chandler, James Jordon and Tom Sparrow each getting a guernsey whereas they probably would not normally be in the f

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A WALK IN THE PAST by Whispering Jack

    On Monday night, the Melbourne Football Club handed out four life memberships. Two of those awards went to men who are long gone. Charles ‘Chubby’ Forrester and James ‘Jas’ Byrne played for the club in the 1870s, even before the Victorian Football Association was formed. The other two are current skipper Max Gawn and swingman Tom McDonald, who almost left the club at the end of the pandemic-affected 2020 season. Some fans might have raised their eyebrows and wondered whether the emphasis on hist

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...