Jump to content

Game Changes in 2021



Recommended Posts


1 minute ago, FritschyBusiness said:

I'd be happy with 16 minute quarters if they called time off when you mark the ball.
Then forwards could take a bit more time aiming for set shots (might increase scoring) and teams couldn't wind down the clock with boring backwards kicks.

Super interesting idea. That probably covers 4 minutes each quarter at least. 

Time goes back on when you kick. You toy can't do the 55m out "in having a shot" then short pass, and the umpires can't call someone on who is legitimately having a shot.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Same day travel is ok for night games and the plane trip is 2 hours or less.

Travel the night before was an AFL requirement to make sure games weren't cancelled due to plane delays.

It should of course be at the discretion of the teams

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Same day travel is ok for night games and the plane trip is 2 hours or less.

Travel the night before was an AFL requirement to make sure games weren't cancelled due to plane delays.

It should of course be at the discretion of the teams

If you live in the SE it's an hour to the airport.

Need to be there an hour early in case traffic, car breakdown, etc

From boarding to disembarking Melb to Syd is 2 hours. Board, wait, taxi, take off, an hour 10 flying, land, taxi, disembark.

Collect bags for 25 players, plus any club gear and load onto a bus, 30 minutes. 

Drive to ground.  30 minutes. 

 

This is a 4-5 hour process. Getting tp the ground 2 hours early for strapping, warm up etc. Makes it 6-7 hours before the match.

For a day game not feasible. For a night game, maybe but it's a killer on that team vs the local team. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

What does that even mean? ‘Support for same day travel and 4 day breaks’?

Does it mean there will be better support around those concepts for the teams involved, so as not to have garbage/unequal games like we saw this year? I surely hope so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, FritschyBusiness said:

I'd be happy with 16 minute quarters if they called time off when you mark the ball.
Then forwards could take a bit more time aiming for set shots (might increase scoring) and teams couldn't wind down the clock with boring backwards kicks.

Also time called on when the ball touches the ruckmen’s hands, would prevent two seconds being wasted by bad bounces being redone and actually give players a chance to do something if there’s 5sec left in a quarter. 

I think time off for field marking is too difficult. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, deanox said:

If you live in the SE it's an hour to the airport.

Need to be there an hour early in case traffic, car breakdown, etc

From boarding to disembarking Melb to Syd is 2 hours. Board, wait, taxi, take off, an hour 10 flying, land, taxi, disembark.

Collect bags for 25 players, plus any club gear and load onto a bus, 30 minutes. 

Drive to ground.  30 minutes. 

 

This is a 4-5 hour process. Getting tp the ground 2 hours early for strapping, warm up etc. Makes it 6-7 hours before the match.

For a day game not feasible. For a night game, maybe but it's a killer on that team vs the local team. 

I’m not using it as an excuse but same day travel for that Cairns game was so clearly a disadvantage to us, while also an advantage to both the Swans and Freo (who got the chance to acclimate before their game). I’m also not a fan of the 4 day breaks, particularly if one team has had say 6+ days rest. 

Seems like it’ll be another chance for the AFL to create unfair advantages to some. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Pates said:

Also time called on when the ball touches the ruckmen’s hands, would prevent two seconds being wasted by bad bounces being redone and actually give players a chance to do something if there’s 5sec left in a quarter. 

I think time off for field marking is too difficult. 

There would be some sort of custom device that someone could tap to start and stop time (I'm sure there is something the NBA or NFL use)

I like your ruckmen idea too

Link to post
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, deanox said:

Super interesting idea. That probably covers 4 minutes each quarter at least. 

Time goes back on when you kick. You toy can't do the 55m out "in having a shot" then short pass, and the umpires can't call someone on who is legitimately having a shot.

You could have the same umpire hurrying the player up that we currently have at 55M+ out. 

The more time the defence have to set up the harder it is to find a short pass

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom Browne's a terrible journalist so take anything he says with a grain of salt.

Like, what does "support for four day breaks" mean? No one in the league would ask for a four day break unless there was context to it (in "normal" years clubs complain about five day breaks). So what's the context? In the event we have to hub again in 2021? To allow a condensed fixture if that's required in 2021?

If there is no need to hub in 2021, I don't understand the need for four day breaks or same day travel. Those should revert back to what we had prior to 2020. Minimum five day breaks (which should be rarely if ever used at all) and why would a club be required to travel on the same day as the game unless it was their decision?

Quarters should return to 20 minutes as well. Again, unless we're affected by condensed fixtures, there's no need to shorten quarters again. It robs the game of time for goals/advertising anyway.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Tom Browne's a terrible journalist so take anything he says with a grain of salt.

Like, what does "support for four day breaks" mean? No one in the league would ask for a four day break unless there was context to it (in "normal" years clubs complain about five day breaks). So what's the context? In the event we have to hub again in 2021? To allow a condensed fixture if that's required in 2021?

If there is no need to hub in 2021, I don't understand the need for four day breaks or same day travel. Those should revert back to what we had prior to 2020. Minimum five day breaks (which should be rarely if ever used at all) and why would a club be required to travel on the same day as the game unless it was their decision?

Quarters should return to 20 minutes as well. Again, unless we're affected by condensed fixtures, there's no need to shorten quarters again. It robs the game of time for goals/advertising anyway.

There's been talk of a midseason "festival of footy" again to have games on every night for 3 or 4 weeks incorporating each team's byes instead of the 3 weeks X 6 games we see now. This would allow them to try and get some extra games into the season to beef up the broadcast deals due to lost revenue.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love them to push it to 24-26 games by playing mid week games and having 5-6 days breaks the norm, and an occassional 10 day "bye".

At 26 you play 9 teams twice, much better than 5 and more likely to even the field rather than have a couple of teams get lucky with fixtures.  

At 26 there is more requirement for all Vic teams to do a share of interstate travel.

More games with a functioning reserves comp should result in a bit more squad rotation to manage fatigue, which forces clubs to try and hold on better players who aren't in their best 22, instead of cutting for kids repeatedly. We'd also see more fringe players and kids get a few games.

I like mid week footy when it's consistently on.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd settle for 22 Std 20min (plus time on) per quarter games made up of

  • 12 x 2:10 pm Saturday afternoons games at the G
  • 1 x 2:10 pm Monday Queens Birthday at the G
  • 1 x 7:10 pm Thursday ANZAC Eve Game at the G
  • 2 x Friday night games 
  • 2 x Sat night games
  • 4 x whatever whenever

Like in the good Old Days...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2020 at 12:06 PM, deanox said:

I'd love them to push it to 24-26 games by playing mid week games and having 5-6 days breaks the norm, and an occassional 10 day "bye".

At 26 you play 9 teams twice, much better than 5 and more likely to even the field rather than have a couple of teams get lucky with fixtures.  

At 26 there is more requirement for all Vic teams to do a share of interstate travel.

More games with a functioning reserves comp should result in a bit more squad rotation to manage fatigue, which forces clubs to try and hold on better players who aren't in their best 22, instead of cutting for kids repeatedly. We'd also see more fringe players and kids get a few games.

I like mid week footy when it's consistently on.

Too much common sense. 
I like the ideas though, plus I think list sizes should actually be bigger so you can have reserves instead of prospect players. Currently too many list spots are for potential players instead of quality 2nd best players.  Get rid of the mid season draft and have an extended squad. Would also involve a revamped second tier to support the wages of the players

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2020 at 3:06 AM, deanox said:

I'd love them to push it to 24-26 games by playing mid week games and having 5-6 days breaks the norm, and an occassional 10 day "bye".

At 26 you play 9 teams twice, much better than 5 and more likely to even the field rather than have a couple of teams get lucky with fixtures.  

At 26 there is more requirement for all Vic teams to do a share of interstate travel.

More games with a functioning reserves comp should result in a bit more squad rotation to manage fatigue, which forces clubs to try and hold on better players who aren't in their best 22, instead of cutting for kids repeatedly. We'd also see more fringe players and kids get a few games.

I like mid week footy when it's consistently on.

I agree with this, rather than a festival of footy which squeezes the life out of the players crest a consistent time of stretch that has footy regularly being played. Hate to say it but the world has changed and TV rights have become the more important factor (as much as COVID has also shown crowds are important to the atmosphere and spectacle). 

Better TV rights will give more certainty to clubs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gunna’s said:

Too much common sense. 
I like the ideas though, plus I think list sizes should actually be bigger so you can have reserves instead of prospect players. Currently too many list spots are for potential players instead of quality 2nd best players.  Get rid of the mid season draft and have an extended squad. Would also involve a revamped second tier to support the wages of the players

I think smaller or larger list sizes would work, but right now we are in an awkward spot.

Make it a senior squad of 32, and a development squad that fills the reserve league: allow interchanges between the 2 squads on long term injuries or at set windows (e.g. 3 times during the year).

Alternatively make the lists 55 and field a senior and reserves team from the list. 

The current list size means you have a "best 26" and then a developing squad of kids not really ready and a handful of journey plugs to fill gaps where needed. This means that our main product (the AFL) is not always the best players possible. It also means that the reserves comps aren't as strong as they could be: many players who would genuinely be in the next best players in the country aren't on AFL lists (they aren't developing) and they don't play for the reserves comp. I think bringing them back in the fold would actual speed up development of juniors at reserves level, and also ensure that all players in the 22 have earnt their spot. If you aren't drafted at 18, and haven't developed by 21, you are virtually lost to the system.

 

IMO the problem is the AFLPA. While they should be trying to get living wages for as many players as possible, they seem more focused on getting the most money for the elite players at the expense of the rest. 

Edited by deanox
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless we have to have hubs why can't we simply go back to the traditional game length. I did not notice the old system was broken why do we have to fix it. Can they just leave sometime about the game alone.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, deanox said:

I think smaller or larger list sizes would work, but right now we are in an awkward spot.

Make it a senior squad of 32, and a development squad that fills the reserve league: allow interchanges between the 2 squads on long term injuries or at set windows (e.g. 3 times during the year).

Alternatively make the lists 55 and field a senior and reserves team from the list. 

The current list size means you have a "best 26" and then a developing squad of kids not really ready and a handful of journey plugs to fill gaps where needed. This means that our main product (the AFL) is not always the best players possible. It also means that the reserves comps aren't as strong as they could be: many players who would genuinely be in the next best players in the country aren't on AFL lists (they aren't developing) and they don't play for the reserves comp. I think bringing them back in the fold would actual speed up development of juniors at reserves level, and also ensure that all players in the 22 have earnt their spot. If you aren't drafted at 18, and haven't developed by 21, you are virtually lost to the system.

 

IMO the problem is the AFLPA. While they should be trying to get living wages for as many players as possible, they seem more focused on getting the most money for the elite players at the expense of the rest. 

Sounds like international tennis

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2020 at 5:14 PM, Demonland said:

Happy to see the 16 minute quarters gone. Not so sure about same day travel and the 4 day breaks. They were season killers for us. 

Probably why there's been no change Andy

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2020 at 5:51 PM, The heart beats true said:

What does that even mean? ‘Support for same day travel and 4 day breaks’?

Does it mean there will be better support around those concepts for the teams involved, so as not to have garbage/unequal games like we saw this year? I surely hope so. 

See response above HBT

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    CHANGES 2020 by The Oracle

    Part One: A very strange year Things might have been somewhat hairy when the 1919 football season opened up in the wake of the ending of a world war and in the middle of a pandemic that took millions of lives but it’s difficult to imagine a more unusual football season than the one that ended a week or so ago. For starters, the footy is supposed to finish on that one day in September on the MCG in mild spring weather; not deep into October at the Gabba amid warnings of tropical storms and h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    DEMONLAND 2020 A TO Z by George on the Outer

    A- Alice Springs. Happy hunting ground.     B- Backline. Finally found the non-leaking version.   C- Cairns & Covid. How a season was ruined.    D- Demonland. Mental Health facility run by the inmates.   E- The grade you get when you don’t make F- F- Finals. What are they? G- Goals. Lack of them. Need a forward who can kick them….lots! H- Hub. Where players got to live with people you can’t stand. I- Injuries. Miracle cure provided by Dr. Burgess.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    WASH, RINSE, SPIN, REPEAT! by George On The Outer

    Although the Demons got over the line in their must win final round game against the hapless Bombers, they ensured it was Groundhog Day for their supporters who well remember what happened three years ago (although, this time they at least enjoyed the success of victory). Melbourne had its customary start dominating play and having plenty of chances in front of goal, only to find itself down on the scoreboard at the first change. Inaccurate kicking, particularly from set shots would have pu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE LUCK OF THE DRAW by Whispering Jack

    The long awaited clash between Melbourne and Essendon is almost upon us. Thirty-seven rounds of AFL football have passed by since the two clubs met on a balmy early April night last year in a game that produced a high scoring shootout at the MCG with the Bombers prevailing by 18 points. It was their only meeting for 2019 and happened at a time when the pandemic was something on the far distant horizon. Several months later when the 2019 season ended, the AFL issued the first of its fixtures

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THERE’S STILL A HEARTBEAT by George on the Outer

    When bottom side Adelaide scrapped together a win over the Giants last week, a tiny glimmer of hope opened up for the Demons’ finals chances. The patient was in intensive care but not quite finished — there was a faint pulse, a heart beating ever so slightly but was it enough when two more wins and other results were needed to fall their way? The first step was the resuscitation of a team that had lost its last two matches against sides then sitting fifteenth and sixteenth on the ladder. On

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 1

    THE FINAL HUMILIATION by The Oracle

    On Sunday, the Melbourne Football Club that won three consecutive games by in excess of 50 points last month returns to the Gabba, the scene of the last of those victories which was a 56 point drubbing of Collingwood. The Demons got off to a good start and won every quarter with a ruthless and powerful brand of football. They kicked 16 goals that day, their accuracy in front of goal a tribute to the skills the put on display throughout the afternoon and evening. In the four matches playe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVEN THE OLD HEAVE HO’ by George on the Outer

    Fremantle gave Melbourne the old heave ho’ from playing finals in 2020, in conditions that the Demons yet again failed to handle.   With the whole season on the line and the need to win to stay in contention for finals, what the fans saw was much the same as they have been witnessing so many times before — a complete debacle and capitulation against a side that sat 15th on the ladder before the game.     Promises made after the loss to the 16th placed Sydney Swans were rendered h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    GETTING THE HEAVE HO by Bananabender

    The ute barely made it up to Cairns in time for us to check into the motel, fling a cane toad out the bathroom. and head over to Cazaly’s Stadium where we took up our position on the wing. There, we saw a completely different Melbourne to the one we watched on the screen only a few nights earlier from Alice Springs. This lot wore similar colours and Maxy dominated the ruck but the similarities ended there - the Demons were simply dreadful against the Swans. They started sluggishly, were spe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A CLANGER IN CAIRNS by George on the Outer

    Having fought back into finals contention, the Demons had it all before them when facing a lowly Sydney in Cairns.  But in typical Melbourne fashion, they threw away the opportunity to cement their spot in the eight with a clanger of a game.  Right from the start, there was little to enthuse from the Melbourne players, who appeared to think that they only had to turn up, enjoy the North Queensland sun, and take away the four points.  Compared with the furious ground wide pressure of the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TEN MINUTES LATE by Whispering Jack

    The late Norm Smith, who played in four Melbourne premierships and coached another six, was a strong disciplinarian. Known as the Red Fox for his auburn hair and his cunning, Smith was a man of a different age to the here and now. Born during the Great War, he survived the Spanish Flu Pandemic, grew up in depression times, played mostly through the Second World War and its aftermath and coached in a period of rebuilding and recovery to a time of prosperity. Smith’s success was built on team

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SAINTS HELL IN DEES HEAVEN by GOTO

    The last of this year’s indigenous games was played in the red heart of the country and could well have determined Melbourne’s finals aspirations but it was St Kilda that had its top four hopes dashed after a nail-biting finish in Alice Springs which saw them unceremoniously marched out of the position in football heaven occupied by them for much of this season. It all came down in the end to a goal-line decision as to whether a freakish shot by Christian Petracca was touched and the goal u

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DO OR DIE by The Oracle

    Melbourne is, not for the first time, paying for lapses in matches whereby the club leaks multiple goals without answer and which usually cost the club in those all-important eight point games as it did last week against the Western Bulldogs which replaced the Demons in the AFL top eight. And this week, they come up against a team that reputedly plays in the same mode as the Bulldogs but has been able to prevail over better opponents than Melbourne. It’s not that the Demons are out of form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...