GAMEDAY: Rd 11 vs North Melbourne

Whispering_Jack

Milkshake being captain is an odd choice. Has been poor all year and lucky not to be dropped. He is slowly improving though. Perhaps some tone on the bell tonight

hopefully it will lead to less selfish play from him

On the surface the decision to make Melksham captain seems a little odd. May or even Lever seems a more logical choice. 

But we don't know the impact or respect Melksham has within the playing group, so there must be more reasons for the decision than we realise. 

Still, would have loved seeing May get the gig, but here's hoping that Melk can lead the boys to a victory tonight. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

GWS have a great exit strategy which they use occasionally.

Small skilful player kicks short straight to a player twenty metres out then runs past receiving player from whom he takes a handball and then attack the corridor

We're a contested football side who locks the ball inside our forward half.

We dont need no crazy kick out strategies. ?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Geez how bored am I. Im clicking on the demonland commercials and almost purchased a lovely pair of hand stitched leather shoes.

I almost got a lovely Asian bride! Best not to drink and click

• Haha 4
  • Shocked 1

7 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

North’s team is rubbish, we should win this convincingly. North by 37. 

Could not have summarised it better myself.

2020 has been such a stellar year, that without a doubt losing to Norf is definitely the next big disaster on the cards.

Got my wine(s) ready. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Sh it call.

Not for us to make call. We don't know what goes on inside the club. Do I think it's an odd choice? yes.

Would I have preferred May get the job given he is an experienced leader, ex- captain and in good form? yes.

Does it actually matter? no.

We have lost our captain and vice captain, so it is up to everyone tonight to stand up and lead. Jones, May, Lever, McDonald, Hibberd, I am expecting these guys to be accountable from a leadership perspective in the absence of our actual leaders. Could explain why they brought back TMac to help lead a very inexperienced forwardline. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Milkshake being captain is an odd choice. Has been poor all year and lucky not to be dropped. He is slowly improving though. Perhaps some tone on the bell tonight

hopefully it will lead to less selfish play from him

Goody’s mate, I’m afraid. Obviously, I have no idea how he is perceived amongst the wider playing group, but seems a bit arrogant and selfish on the field. Would be delighted to be proved wrong.

• Like 2

Living in a rural area a long way from Melbourne but as an ex Melbournian with many friends and family still there, I sincerely wish all of you in that wonderful town my heartfelt expression of sympathy and best wishes given what you are all going through.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, 3183 Dee said:

Goody’s mate, I’m afraid. Obviously, I have no idea how he is perceived amongst the wider playing group, but seems a bit arrogant and selfish on the field. Would be delighted to be proved wrong.

Correct weight, you do have no idea about that (nor do I) - No doubt Goodwin and Co in selecting Melksham are not being divisive - that'd be one way to bugger up culture. I suspect they've got a finger on the pulse of how it would be perceived.?

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Macca said:

Jones can play as a half forward but he is nearing the end.  Replacements aren't all that flash either so I'd still play him.  But he needs to lift.

T-Mac probably had to come in once Gawn was ruled out but Tom is horribly out of form.  It's not over for him though but again,  he needs to find his best form. 

The ruck duties look like being shared instead of the Pruess option.  That's fair enough.

I'rm reasonably happy with the selected team (all things considered) but we've got 5 blokes who are ideally suited for the clearances and centre bounce downs.  That's 1 too many for my eyes thus my push for Viney to the forward line.

Way down the track Oliver could be a star at half back ... but he's a ball magnet on the ball right now.  Brayshaw feeds off him but for whatever reason,  we've gone away from that.

Yes very far down the track !!

Maybe in his final season in 2030 Macca !!

What a waste and I appreciate a creative HB like the next fan but don't waste a player at least put him up forward fir a 40 plus goal season !!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FireInTheBennelly said:

I see his first name was censored. Is the word 'Penis' censored?

Apparently not!

10 minutes ago, Delusional demon 82 said:

Not at tigerland by the sounds of it ...

7 minutes ago, FireInTheBennelly said:

They're changing their name in the offseason. Going to be known as the Richmond Squirrels.

Rumours abound that they're doubling-down; Allens are coming aboard as sponsors - promoting their freckles and snakes ranges.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, forever demons said:

often wonder about melk not doing enough thru our eyes but is he doing what the coach wants and what he is told to do for the team

His 3 leads and marks were crucial last game but needs to do more imho. Surprised he was named chief today.

2 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

His 3 leads and marks were crucial last game but needs to do more imho. Surprised he was named chief today.

It is surprising, no doubt about it, but as others have said, we don't really know the inner workings of the club.

Last week we were bemoaning the dropping of Oscar and that Goody had no idea.  The Crows had three tall forwards and we couldn't cover them.  Then they kicked 5 goals and our back line kept us in the game before our midfield won it.

I'm certainly not saying Goody always makes the right decisions - we all know that isn't true - but this is one of those that we need to hold fire on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

It is surprising, no doubt about it, but as others have said, we don't really know the inner workings of the club.

Last week we were bemoaning the dropping of Oscar and that Goody had no idea.  The Crows had three tall forwards and we couldn't cover them.  Then they kicked 5 goals and our back line kept us in the game before our midfield won it.

I'm certainly not saying Goody always makes the right decisions - we all know that isn't true - but this is one of those that we need to hold fire on.

My figuring is that Goody really believes in him. Making him chief is a true vote of confidence and Goody is calculating we will see his old good form. It's a classic promotion where the recipient has to step up under the pressure or I simply have no idea. Either or i hope he bags 4.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Not for us to make call. We don't know what goes on inside the club. Do I think it's an odd choice? yes.

Would I have preferred May get the job given he is an experienced leader, ex- captain and in good form? yes.

Does it actually matter? no.

We have lost our captain and vice captain, so it is up to everyone tonight to stand up and lead. Jones, May, Lever, McDonald, Hibberd, I am expecting these guys to be accountable from a leadership perspective in the absence of our actual leaders. Could explain why they brought back TMac to help lead a very inexperienced forwardline. 

It may seem it doesn't matter to some, but in must win games like today it does. When I think of leadership and captains that set the example on field, Viney, Gawn and May have proven this from time to time. 

When I look at Melksham I see a bloke who is a lazy two way runner who barely provides any ounce of tackling pressure. He's barely fired a shot this year. He kicked 2 of the biggest junk goals last week. When the heat was hot for 3 quarter he was missing as usual.

May was the perfect fit for me. This is Goody just looking after hos best mate once again.

Edited by dazzledavey36