Jump to content

Training Ground?


Romey

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, old dee said:

Spot on layzie. It is almost a quarter of the way through the 21st century. Forget the past it is gone. Caulfield it is. The only other option is Casey. 

Both, old dee

According to Pert at the AGM tonight, we'll be at Caulfield* and keep Casey as a 2nd training centre.  We do have 4 teams so it makes sense

 

*See last post on the previous page on the why's and wherefore's re Caulfield (an overview from the AGM)

 

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/12/2023 at 22:11, Diamond_Jim said:

Have we missed out on a big opportunity at Port Melbourne....

A highly sought-after piece of industrial land in Port Melbourne will be turned into open space and sporting grounds after the local council won a bidding war, quashing the state government’s plan for a new primary school on the site.

City of Port Phillip Mayor Heather Consulo announced on Monday the $38.8 million purchase of a 1.54-hectare site adjoining North Port Oval – also known as ETU Stadium – at 509 Williamstown Road in Port Melbourne and the wider Fishermans Bend precinct. The land was the site of an Australia Post warehouse.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/school-v-sports-clubs-the-future-of-this-port-melbourne-site-decided-20231218-p5es6q.html

Kate said at the AGM that she had spoken to everyone . Pert said at the AGM that they had looked at every option. 

I may be too late

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Macca said:

Both, old dee

According to Pert at the AGM tonight, we'll be at Caulfield* and keep Casey as a 2nd training centre.  We do have 4 teams so it makes sense

 

*See last post on the previous page on the why's and wherefore's re Caulfield (an overview from the AGM)

 

Its on youtube, worth watching for those that have not seen it. Clear and concise presentation.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Clap 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, No. 31 said:

Its on youtube, worth watching for those that have not seen it. Clear and concise presentation.

 

Thanks, and you're a good addition to the site even though you're a bluebagger!

Just don't tell @Redleg heehee

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, dpositive said:

Kate said at the AGM that she had spoken to everyone . Pert said at the AGM that they had looked at every option. 

I may be too late

I am late to this thread, so apologies if Im treading on old ground.

I *just* saw the Port Melbourne announcement: https://www.portmelbournefc.com.au/city-of-port-phillip-announce-redevelopment-plans/?fbclid=IwAR3eDRse-qnQ6WimemOSWjL5El9qmww_n1eGVnvYqaw2303Nx6E-RgF7yV4

Got to say I'm really disappointed that we didn't pursue this further with Port Melbourne, if we did.  There is enough room there for a second ground and a training centre. 

I'm really confused as to how Caulfield Race track is a better fit than Port Melbourne.

The logistics are much, much better than Caulfield.  Where are we training at Caulfield - in the middle of the track?

Really disappointed and keen to learn more about this decision making process.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, D Rev said:

I am late to this thread, so apologies if Im treading on old ground.

I *just* saw the Port Melbourne announcement: https://www.portmelbournefc.com.au/city-of-port-phillip-announce-redevelopment-plans/?fbclid=IwAR3eDRse-qnQ6WimemOSWjL5El9qmww_n1eGVnvYqaw2303Nx6E-RgF7yV4

Got to say I'm really disappointed that we didn't pursue this further with Port Melbourne, if we did.  There is enough room there for a second ground and a training centre. 

I'm really confused as to how Caulfield Race track is a better fit than Port Melbourne.

The logistics are much, much better than Caulfield.  Where are we training at Caulfield - in the middle of the track?

Really disappointed and keen to learn more about this decision making process.

 

They mentioned they had looked at every option including Port and Fisherman’s Bend. There were prohibitive issues with every one they looked at. Caulfield is brilliant logistically. It’s in the centre of the heartland. It’s accessible from 3 different train lines. It’s 10 minutes from the MCG. It has only become an option quite recently as the Govt has decided to open it up to wider community use than just the racecourse. There is ample room for two MCG size grounds. All the space for cutting edge sports facilities admin and supporters all in the one precinct. I real need in the area for the facilities so multiple stakeholders who will invest and have an interest in it happening rather than not happening. The timeframe will be something like 4 years if it all gets approved. A lot of work has gone on by many stakeholders to get to this feasibility stage. There is an in principal agreement to pursue this. Pert said that in response to Gary Hardeman asking if we could be gesumped again like Collingwood did at Olympic Park. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Its Time for Another said:

They mentioned they had looked at every option including Port and Fisherman’s Bend. There were prohibitive issues with every one they looked at. Caulfield is brilliant logistically. It’s in the centre of the heartland. It’s accessible from 3 different train lines. It’s 10 minutes from the MCG. It has only become an option quite recently as the Govt has decided to open it up to wider community use than just the racecourse. There is ample room for two MCG size grounds. All the space for cutting edge sports facilities admin and supporters all in the one precinct. I real need in the area for the facilities so multiple stakeholders who will invest and have an interest in it happening rather than not happening. The timeframe will be something like 4 years if it all gets approved. A lot of work has gone on by many stakeholders to get to this feasibility stage. There is an in principal agreement to pursue this. Pert said that in response to Gary Hardeman asking if we could be gesumped again like Collingwood did at Olympic Park. 

I'm no fan of Caulfield the area or the South-East in general - (I know a lot of you live there but tbh there are far better places to live in Melbourne that are relatively unexplored by the standard East/Southeast types) - but I agree that this seems like a terrific option for our base which ticks a lot of boxes. We were always going to have to compromise on a few things but all in all this seems to have relatively few. 

I'm not sure of the appeal/obssession with Port Melbourne, which in some parts is basically inaccessible by public transport. 

Beggars cant be choosers...  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Its Time for Another said:

They mentioned they had looked at every option including Port and Fisherman’s Bend. There were prohibitive issues with every one they looked at. Caulfield is brilliant logistically. It’s in the centre of the heartland. It’s accessible from 3 different train lines. It’s 10 minutes from the MCG. It has only become an option quite recently as the Govt has decided to open it up to wider community use than just the racecourse. There is ample room for two MCG size grounds. All the space for cutting edge sports facilities admin and supporters all in the one precinct. I real need in the area for the facilities so multiple stakeholders who will invest and have an interest in it happening rather than not happening. The timeframe will be something like 4 years if it all gets approved. A lot of work has gone on by many stakeholders to get to this feasibility stage. There is an in principal agreement to pursue this. Pert said that in response to Gary Hardeman asking if we could be gesumped again like Collingwood did at Olympic Park. 

Thanks for this but it all feels a bit like we are being sold a monorail.

Firstly, I don't think its brilliant logistically and it's certainly not in the 'heartland'.  It's the Melbourne Football Club, not Caulfield.  It may be on 3 train lines, but they certainly aren't the 3 that all members or fans are on.  It's very limited thinking to have the view we are a inner SE club, we need to think bigger than that.

Also, Caulfield is not 10 min from the MCG unless you have a helicopter.  Again, monorail.

While the racecourse "could" house two MCG-sized grounds, will it?  There doesn't seem to be any solid plans or even drawings that have been shared, and no word from the VRC around their agreement to any of this.  It's like buying a Toyota Camry and saying "it could go 400km/h" - without saying you need to drop it out of a plane to do so.

A principal agreement really doesn't hold much water.

There may well be a need for facilities in the area, but that's hardly reassuring around who is going to pay for it or support it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 years is a long time in MFC time, and here we are, inserting ourselves back into a gambling venue, and the heinous business of betting on animals.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, D Rev said:

I am late to this thread, so apologies if Im treading on old ground.

I *just* saw the Port Melbourne announcement: https://www.portmelbournefc.com.au/city-of-port-phillip-announce-redevelopment-plans/?fbclid=IwAR3eDRse-qnQ6WimemOSWjL5El9qmww_n1eGVnvYqaw2303Nx6E-RgF7yV4

Got to say I'm really disappointed that we didn't pursue this further with Port Melbourne, if we did.  There is enough room there for a second ground and a training centre. 

I'm really confused as to how Caulfield Race track is a better fit than Port Melbourne.

The logistics are much, much better than Caulfield.  Where are we training at Caulfield - in the middle of the track?

Really disappointed and keen to learn more about this decision making process.

 

Yes.. the middle...maybe a  bit to the left..or such..

Have you any idea of the amount of area there ?? 

Edited by beelzebub
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, D Rev said:

 

Firstly, I don't think its brilliant logistically and it's certainly not in the 'heartland'.  It's the Melbourne Football Club, not Caulfield.  It may be on 3 train lines, but they certainly aren't the 3 that all members or fans are on.  It's very limited thinking to have the view we are a inner SE club, we need to think bigger than that.

Also, Caulfield is not 10 min from the MCG unless you have a helicopter.  Again, monorail.

 

I often catch the Cranbourne & Pakenham Line trains and usually do Richmond to Carnegie in 13 minutes. You won't do Calufield Racecourse to MCG in 10 minutes but you will do Caulfield Station to Richmond Station in about 10 minutes.

Actually, the Cranbourne & Pakenham Line trains will use the new Metro Tunnel scheduled to open late 2024 or early 2025 and will mean that Caulfield will become easily accessible to the the inner north and the western suburbs by public transport.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, No. 31 said:

I often catch the Cranbourne & Pakenham Line trains and usually do Richmond to Carnegie in 13 minutes. You won't do Calufield Racecourse to MCG in 10 minutes but you will do Caulfield Station to Richmond Station in about 10 minutes.

Actually, the Cranbourne & Pakenham Line trains will use the new Metro Tunnel scheduled to open late 2024 or early 2025 and will mean that Caulfield will become easily accessible to the the inner north and the western suburbs by public transport.

Right on. And according to the club there is no better option. If there is one, someone should lay it out here. Do a comparison using the criteria Perty discussed at the AGM. Space, accessibility, availability et al., and (I suspect) the biggest issue of all: willingness to cooperate with MFC...

Edited by Grr-owl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Grr-owl said:

Right on. And according to the club there is no better option. If there is one, someone should lay it out here. Do a comparison using the criteria Perty discussed at the AGM. Space, accessibility, availability et al., and (I suspect) the biggest issue of all: willingness to cooperate with MFC...

that was the reason for my questions at the AGM. I am prepared to undertake a feasibility study  as I think it is worthwhile having some alternatives for comparison and competition. But it is important to compare like with like. As Kate has said FB may be too expensive to obtain the required land space but alternatively as pointed out by others Caulfield might well be a cheaper option with limited investment return.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


15 hours ago, D Rev said:

Thanks for this but it all feels a bit like we are being sold a monorail.

Firstly, I don't think its brilliant logistically and it's certainly not in the 'heartland'.  It's the Melbourne Football Club, not Caulfield.  It may be on 3 train lines, but they certainly aren't the 3 that all members or fans are on.  It's very limited thinking to have the view we are a inner SE club, we need to think bigger than that.

Also, Caulfield is not 10 min from the MCG unless you have a helicopter.  Again, monorail.

While the racecourse "could" house two MCG-sized grounds, will it?  There doesn't seem to be any solid plans or even drawings that have been shared, and no word from the VRC around their agreement to any of this.  It's like buying a Toyota Camry and saying "it could go 400km/h" - without saying you need to drop it out of a plane to do so.

A principal agreement really doesn't hold much water.

There may well be a need for facilities in the area, but that's hardly reassuring around who is going to pay for it or support it.

 

Out of interest, do you live closer to Port Melbourne than Caufield?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, whelan45 said:

Out of interest, do you live closer to Port Melbourne than Caufield?

As the bird flies I do, by car its probably the same amount of time, no idea about public transport.

My point was more about having a central (Melbourne) location than one in the SE suburbs.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, bluey said:

5 years is a long time in MFC time, and here we are, inserting ourselves back into a gambling venue, and the heinous business of betting on animals.

Not forgetting that AFL is just as much a betting business.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demons return to the MCG to take on the Saints in Round 11 on the back of two straight losses in a row. With Jake Lever out with concussion who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 27

    VOTES: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 31

    POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Many warned that this was a danger game and the Demons were totally outclassed all game by a young Eagles team at Optus Stadium in Perth as they were defeated by 35 points.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 279

    GAMEDAY: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    It's Game Day and the Demons have returned to the site of their drought breaking Premiership to take on the West Coast Eagles in what could very well be a danger game for Narrm at Optus Stadium. A win and a percentage boost will keep the Dees in top four contention whilst a loss will cast doubt on the Dees flag credentials and bring them back to the pack fighting for a spot in the 8 as we fast approach the halfway point of the season.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 884

    WARNING by William from Waalitj

    As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a  danger game awaits. The locals are no longer the easybeats who stumbled, fumbled and bumbled their way to the good fortune of gathering the number one draft pick and a generational player in Harley Reid last year. They are definitely better than they were then.   Young Harley has already proven his worth with some stellar performances for a first year kid playing among men. He’s taken hangers, k

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 22

    OVER YET? by KC from Casey

    The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter. I suppose that since the game had to produce a result (a tie would have done the game some justice), the four points that went to Casey with the win, were fully justified because they went to the best team. In that respect, my opinion is based on the fact that the Blues were a lopsided combination that had

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    CENTIMETRES by Whispering Jack

    Our game is one where the result is often decided by centimetres; the touch of a fingernail, a split-second decision made by a player or official, the angle of vision or the random movement of an oblong ball in flight or in its bounce and trajectory. There is one habit that Melbourne seems to have developed of late in its games against Carlton which is that the Demons keep finding themselves on the wrong end of the stick in terms of the fine line in close games at times when centimetres mak

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PREGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demons have a 10 day break before they head on the road to Perth to take on the West Coast Eagles at Optus Stadium on Sunday. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 527

    PODCAST: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Sunday, 12th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the MCG against the Blues in the Round 09. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE:

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 30
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...