Training Ground?

Romey

15 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

essendon?

There was one at windy hill but not sure if it is still there dc. I went to the seconds game there last year but did not enter from that side of the ground. It was still there a couple of years ago at windy hill that is.

32 minutes ago, old dee said:

There was one at windy hill but not sure if it is still there dc. I went to the seconds game there last year but did not enter from that side of the ground. It was still there a couple of years ago at windy hill that is.

Looking on the web the complex that used to be the social club is now an almost agnostic bistro going by the name of Windy Hill.

Certainly no overt mention of EFC. On a related note I think I recall EFC saying they wanted to vacate what was left of their presence at the ground itself.

http://windyhillvenue.com.au/

Edited by Diamond_Jim

Seriously if Supporters want a Social Club make the MFC Canteen, that works everyday big enough to also hold functions.
Build the Facility wisely. 

i would visit a Social Club maybe once a year, but if we start winning I may be enticed to go more often. I am far more invested getting an elite Training Facility 

If we are winning Finals at The ‘G, then that’s where the beers ? will be flowing. 

• Like 6

On 2/19/2020 at 8:20 PM, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Sadly, I agree with Eddie.  As I said on the previous page, the Port Melbourne homeground is currently nestled in the middle of the Fisherman's Bend development.  Plenty of space, current football presence, few residents to offend or object and soon to be home to many thousands of people.

Port Melbourne has some attractions, would like to see map of available site.

Retains the significance of the Melbourne name.while differentiating the location. It ain't Collingwood, Casey or any other non related name like Docklands or Goschs or even jolimont. Every one knows every significant city has a Port.

27 minutes ago, dpositive said:

Retains the significance of the Melbourne name.while differentiating the location. It ain't Collingwood, Casey or any other non related name like Docklands or Goschs or even jolimont. Every one knows every significant city has a Port.

It Stinks if you grew up a Sandringham Supporter in the 70’s

Sandy and Port F$&@ing HATED each other!!!!!

8 hours ago, MyFavouriteMartian said:

Dandenong in the VFA, with Frosty Miller up front.   Melbourne jumper. 

It would be a good coup to align that side again around that area,  with a twin training complex, also as a part of the Casey alignment.   Just, not necessarily, out at Cranbourne.

MFM I don't care where it is however you can forget anywhere that is not close to the G. The powers that be are locked into that premise.

If it does not happen in the Goschs park area it will not happen. 

Only a change of the board will expand their view.

Edited by old dee

11 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Looking on the web the complex that used to be the social club is now an almost agnostic bistro going by the name of Windy Hill.

Certainly no overt mention of EFC. On a related note I think I recall EFC saying they wanted to vacate what was left of their presence at the ground itself.

http://windyhillvenue.com.au/

So does that mean they have one at the "Hanger" complex?

11 hours ago, dpositive said:

Port would be an attractive option, but not for what Eddie suggested.  The North Port oval where Port play would not be an option, but down the road is the Murphy reserve with Anderson oval and soccer grounds.  There is also plenty of space alongside to build.

Even further down WIlliamstown road are the open spaces alongside the container terminal and even where Melbourne Grammar have their playing fields at Flack reserve. 

I hope we don't finish up building something for 2021 and we find we are looking at the same again in 10 years.  Hawthorns new facility planned at Dingley will cost $130M, Adelaide planning to spend $80M.....and both their current facilities are superior to anything we have today. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Port would be an attractive option, but not for what Eddie suggested.  The North Port oval where Port play would not be an option, but down the road is the Murphy reserve with Anderson oval and soccer grounds.  There is also plenty of space alongside to build.

Even further down WIlliamstown road are the open spaces alongside the container terminal and even where Melbourne Grammar have their playing fields at Flack reserve. 

I hope we don't finish up building something for 2021 and we find we are looking at the same again in 10 years.  Hawthorns new facility planned at Dingley will cost $130M, Adelaide planning to spend $80M.....and both their current facilities are superior to anything we have today. 

Thanks George. I thought there might be some open space industrial land. Haven't been down that way for a while.

Maybe I should look at google map type thingy.

4 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

adelaide's current facility is a massive white elephant tho; commissioned, planned and effectively completed before the pear pushed the afl / sanfl to make the move to adelaide oval

it's primary second function beyond football / admin WAS a social club...and with west lakes being a swamp a journey and a half from the city where they now play, it's been a real millstone around their neck

1 hour ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

adelaide's current facility is a massive white elephant tho; commissioned, planned and effectively completed before the pear pushed the afl / sanfl to make the move to adelaide oval

it's primary second function beyond football / admin WAS a social club...and with west lakes being a swamp a journey and a half from the city where they now play, it's been a real millstone around their neck

Seaford II

We got hammered for taking $1.4 mill

This is exactly why we have been walked on for years

I went along to the AFLW match last night at Moorabbin and saw St.Kilda's impressive facilities for the first time. I left thinking what an indictment it is that the Saints have better facilities than us. In the time that we've been looking for a solution they left Moorabbin, developed Seaford, buggered up that arrangement, left Seaford and redeveloped Moorabbin to create an elite practice venue. What have we been doing? Creating 'facilities working groups' and what appears to be endless high-level talks with 'stakeholders'. Enough is enough. We have to see progress on this issue otherwise we'll be left behind.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

On 2/22/2020 at 11:30 AM, dpositive said:

Thanks George. I thought there might be some open space industrial land. Haven't been down that way for a while.

Maybe I should look at google map type thingy.

If you look at the latest "Hell and back" video, the training session is held at the Murphy/Anderson oval complex.  In the background you can see all the spare space around it. 

This really has to be a priority. After going to the Women's game on Friday night at Moorabbin and then our match on Saturday at Casey, I see that we are way behind other clubs in this regard and its been going on for too long. There is no identity at Casey. No memorabilia. Nothing that establishes the 'Melbourne brand'. 

We are in a small, unadvertised part of AAMI Park with no space to establish our own facilities. The training facilities at AAMI are fine. Better than fine, they are of good quality. However, we need a space to hold proper family days, have merchandise advertised and historical memorabilia displayed. It is all important to establishing ourselves. 

When we recently changed the logo and the way the club was branded, it was said that there was a renewed focus on bringing the 'Melbourne' name to the forefront. The graphic designer wanted the MFC monogram to be as well known as the NY Yankees. That is great in theory, but without prominent signage, a club museum and a place to conduct tours, this is just a pipe dream. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

This really has to be a priority. After going to the Women's game on Friday night at Moorabbin and then our match on Saturday at Casey, I see that we are way behind other clubs in this regard and its been going on for too long. There is no identity at Casey. No memorabilia. Nothing that establishes the 'Melbourne brand'. 

We are in a small, unadvertised part of AAMI Park with no space to establish our own facilities. The training facilities at AAMI are fine. Better than fine, they are of good quality. However, we need a space to hold proper family days, have merchandise advertised and historical memorabilia displayed. It is all important to establishing ourselves. 

When we recently changed the logo and the way the club was branded, it was said that there was a renewed focus on bringing the 'Melbourne' name to the forefront. The graphic designer wanted the MFC monogram to be as well known as the NY Yankees. That is great in theory, but without prominent signage, a club museum and a place to conduct tours, this is just a pipe dream. 

I really hope that this plan ends up being a reality.

I know this is Melbourne we’re talking about, but i actually have faith that the club is being run professionally for once, at least relative to the other clubs. So I’m quietly confident on this but you never know.

On 2/21/2020 at 1:35 PM, daisycutter said:

i'd agree

but out of curiosity, do any other afl clubs have a social club attached to the club facilities (excluding separate establishments like the bentleigh club etc)?

Richmond (at Punt Road) right next to the “G”. (We should never have let them share the “G” with us.)

9 minutes ago, CBDees said:

Richmond (at Punt Road) right next to the “G”. (We should never have let them share the “G” with us.)

The one club i do have time for, re - sharing the MCG is Richmond. They shared Punt Rd with us during WWII when the MCG was out of commission.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 1:13 PM, Rab D Nesbitt said:

We’re spoiled for choice when it comes to micro breweries and their craft beers in the inner city suburbs so I for one wouldn’t spend time at an MFC social club that offered the tired old options of CUB or their modern day equivalents. They both belong to a bygone era. 

I agree except I WOULD make the effort from time to time to back the club. It would demand some creativity from the club to make it work.

That is clearly the aim atm given comments at the annual meeting.

• Like 1