Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Ssshh, it's a closed session

dworship

3 hours ago, Mister Ed said:

Assume from the geography of the opening that this all took place at Casey Fields?

Yes, and in hindsight perhaps I should of mentioned that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Marvellous..... reminds me of a time I went to watch a socceroos closed practice in a faraway country.

Your understanding of what they were doing was far better than mine.

Now... do we have a new game plan....

I'm always intrigued when someone asks this question. What does that mean? Is it a document that sets out what we are going to do and how we are going to do it? If you mean have we thrown away the old one? Then the answer is no. Don't make me do all the work, if you tell me what your looking for I may be able to answer the question better.

As far as plans are concerned though, I think any of the regular watchers will tell you the Club has had a plan for the pre season.  That is to be meticulous, highly organised and focused on improvements in the skills and behaviors of the players.

The overall strategy hasn't changed and is based on contested, combative football. If you are looking for specific strategies and tactics for game day then that is a bigger question and I think some of the more astute on here may be better equipped to answer.

Training is about being able to implement everything under pressure and without hesitation when the time comes. I've never seen so many of them this ready at this time of year. So to me the plan is working

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Thanks @dworship, how did Mitch Brown look during the match sim? 

Like a good solid experienced forward. I will be disappointed however if he plays round one. I have Weid ahead of him at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just went back through the list to see how many we had for the full ground sim and I came up with 36 players. With Tomlinson and Spargo joining in next week that's 38. May and Hannan next fingers crossed

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dworship said:

While checking out the parking situation I could see Crossy on another oval putting Hannan and someone else (I couldn’t make out in the distance) through their paces at a serious fast clip. They were running up and down the field handballing to each other. 1hr 30mins later they were still at it. For other track watchers, Hannan can’t be that far away now can he?

Great report Dworship, very much appreciated.  I suspect that they have been doing most of the match sims (serious ones like this) at the closed sessions at Casay.  Firstly because they want them away from prying eyes and secondly because Casey is a full sized ground.

I suspect Hannan is a long way away.  He was doing some run throughs prior to Christmas at about half to three quarter pace and I was hoping he would be close to joining the group after the Christmas break having continued the preparation over the break.  But he hasn't trained at Gosch's since Christmas so I assume that he's a good 6 weeks away.  I'm pretty sure (just from my observations) that he has OP to some degree and I imagine they will treat it very conservatively.

It's just great to have so many on the track for such an extended period.  Thanks for taking the effort, it's made my Saturday!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dworship said:

Hannan next

I wonder if Hannan is doing his pre-xmas PreSeason now, in catch-up mode,  with his chronic meniscus knee issue.  I can see how shortening his season would be beneficial to him, each season.

Edited by MyFavouriteMartian

4 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Great report Dworship, very much appreciated.  I suspect that they have been doing most of the match sims (serious ones like this) at the closed sessions at Casay.  Firstly because they want them away from prying eyes and secondly because Casey is a full sized ground.

I suspect Hannan is a long way away.  He was doing some run throughs prior to Christmas at about half to three quarter pace and I was hoping he would be close to joining the group after the Christmas break having continued the preparation over the break.  But he hasn't trained at Gosch's since Christmas so I assume that he's a good 6 weeks away.  I'm pretty sure (just from my observations) that he has OP to some degree and I imagine they will treat it very conservatively.

It's just great to have so many on the track for such an extended period.  Thanks for taking the effort, it's made my Saturday!

Thanks BB, I really wanted to go over to the other oval and check him out but it was so good watching the other boys I couldn't tear myself away. If you are accurate about his return it's not like we don't have any coverage and a nice build up through Casey is fine.

Yes, the bigger ground certainly suits, if I remember correctly it's bigger than the Gee and considering how many games we play at the Gee this year spending more time at Casey is a good thing even if a bit inconvenient for watchers.

3 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Top job dworship  !!!!!!!!!

You are hereby ordered to give up your day job, family and anything else that restricts you and report on all future training sessions

I wish

3 hours ago, MyFavouriteMartian said:

I wonder if Hannan is doing his pre-xmas PreSeason now, in catch-up mode,  with his chronic meniscus knee issue.  I can see how shortening his season would be beneficial to him, each season.

The knees are fine, he had a groin injury to contend with in his rehab, hence the caution

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dworship said:

I’m going to take one for the team here, I don’t do a lot of in depth reporting normally because my time is precious (and I don’t have really fast typing skills). Having said that; I may end up rambling a bit as I enjoy a Merlot at the keyboard. I live in Ballarat but I was house sitting in Emerald for a couple of days and finished up this morning. I had to pick up some stock for our business on the way home (in Moorabbin). I thought I would swing by and see what I could see. (All they could do was ask me to leave) I got there around 1000 (I seriously wish I had got there at 0900). While checking out the parking situation I could see Crossy on another oval putting Hannan and someone else (I couldn’t make out in the distance) through their paces at a serious fast clip. They were running up and down the field handballing to each other. 1hr 30mins later they were still at it. For other track watchers, Hannan can’t be that far away now can he?

I just walked in and proceeded around to the side opposite the grandstand. There was a full ground match sim going on Pinks vs Blues and the scores were up on the electronic boards 2.6 to 4.2 as I walked around, the player I noticed the most was Smith. He seemed to be everywhere in defence.

There was a family standing outside the fence observing proceedings so I went up and said G’day. Turned out to be the parents and siblings of  Tye Hourigan who had been invited along to train today. The family and Tye had no idea that would include 2 x 30 mins full ground sim! Ty is from Traralgon and has been playing defence for Gippy Power. He looks a likely type about 6’2 in the old and around 80kgs. From hips and down looks like a ready-made footballer.

Soon after the sim stopped and they moved into a number of  drills  for the different groups (mids/rucks, fwds  and backs that have been largely described before. This was all done at a great pace and with good skill.

After about a half hour of this it was back into 30min full ground match sim. Max got on top of Pruess early resulting in a number of centre clearances. One of the early ones ended up with Petty on a great lead and I walked around to stand directly behind him. The wind was blowing around 40km/hr across from right to left and I was muttering aim at the right point post. Standing behind him he looked to be aiming 2m inside the right goal post. It was a lovely kick off the boot and in the last 6m of its flight it went hard left by 5m. This was the only real negative I saw for the day and both teams went on to score around 4.2 so the adjustment to the windy conditions largely improved.

In the match sim I could count 4 Casey listed players. Stockdale clearly being one and a couple of others I didn’t recognize. I know that can’t be right and there must have been more but I couldn’t spot them. Having said that it is the most First’s I’ve seen playing in sims, at this intensity, in January EVER

After the match sim they went into more position related drills again. I moved around more to a the pocket /half back position on the grandstand side. There were a couple of tackle coaches I haven’t seen before working with all the talls; Max, Preuss, Jackson , Lever,  Weid, TMac, Hore, etc . They were working in a 10m circle and the object was to escape with the ball. This went on for 20min and I was exhausted just watching them.

To the left of me Goody was controlling a drill where 4 or 5 players would be in a small circle doing quick handballs. When he blew the whistle the last player with the ball had to break away and run and kick the ball 40 m to Greg Stafford. The remaining players would run both sides of the ball carrier in support. Stafford would punch/ tap the ball in the path of the “wave” and they would share the ball around till a leading forward presented or one of the wave was close enough to shoot for goal. Both Tomlinson and Spargo participated in this drill so I would expect them both to be very close to rejoining everything. They didn’t do match sim.

Unsighted on the day: Baker, KK, Melksham, Neitzke, Bennell and Chandler. May was there but I didn’t see him do much, however the dressing was missing from the leg (happy face, mine and his)

Some general obs.

Our older brigade are up and about, Nev is back and handing out lessons to anyone he comes near. Hibby is not handing over his role this year if he stays fit (although Rivers did impress me and looks ready to go if a spot presents). Tmac is also back, leading well, finding space and clunking marks. Jones may surprise a few in the forward line.

Lever was outstanding today in the cut off/ intercept role.

Viney and AVB will take a lot of teams by surprise if they stay this fit (yes, AVB did everything today including swapping bibs at one stage to even things up).

Sparrow was good in the guts at times.

To go to another level this year: Max, Clary and Trac (that should put the wind up a few teams).

OMac looks to have bulked up and be quicker, is that possible?

Jackson was willing but not that effective in the match sim I saw today.

The practice matches will be interesting and I can see a difficult decision coming re Cossie. Is the magic he brings enough to play him even if he goes missing sometimes due to fitness? On today’s observations I would play him round one. He will make a lot of defenders nervous and he will have that reputation very quickly. Nibbler however is giving every indication that he wants a spot in that forward line. I’m excited!!! (In a BBO kind of way)

They finished around 1215 today so it was a really solid session.

I had a great time today and couldn’t get the smile off my face. I also noticed this with Goody and a number of the other coaches. A great way to lead into Maroochydore.

Near the end of the session I got Tye Hourigan’s family to come inside the fence near the entry gates and while we were chatting a fella in his 20’s came in with his dog on a lead and asked if it was ok if he came in to have a look. He was wearing Richmond shorts so I told him very sternly, “It’s a closed session and you will have to leave” He was very apologetic and left. Made the day even more worthwhile.

Amazing we had an Indigenous forward in Jeff Garlett, who could bring magic but was accused of 'going missing', seems if you have a good junior highlight reel this is ok

I would be very surprised if Kossie plays round 1,  he runs out of steam very quickly at the moment

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Amazing we had an Indigenous forward in Jeff Garlett, who could bring magic but was accused of 'going missing', seems if you have a good junior highlight reel this is ok

I would be very surprised if Kossie plays round 1,  he runs out of steam very quickly at the moment

Jeffy lost his appetite for the contest. It doesn't sound like that's an issue for Kozzie.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

The practice matches will be interesting and I can see a difficult decision coming re Cossie. Is the magic he brings enough to play him even if he goes missing sometimes due to fitness?

I did say  it will be interesting, I don't have to make the decision so I can vote with the magic factor. It's a long season so maybe you give a few games to him early and then back to Casey to continue building his fitness so he knows how hard he has to work, without burning him out. We know Bedford has a serious engine and can hopefully come in and create havoc also.

• Like 3

Great training report. As a track watcher through most of last season I think the biggest challenge will be for the team to play how they train. Last year my opinion was that we consistently failed to play in a style that did not resemble how we trained. At training we moved the ball quickly but judiciously to a free target, switched across the ground to change the angle of attack, hand balled to advantage just like we all did at training in our suburban careers. However all I saw in most of our games was see ball, get ball and kick long to a contest and just keep bombing it long etc. we all saw it but as I said repeatedly last year that is not how we were training. Maybe that was all about lack of personnel, lack of faith in a constantly changing line up due to injury and form? May this season be totally different and we  play how we train and bring some subtle finesse added to a physical and brutal game plan.

• Like 5