TRAINING: Monday 18th November 2019

Demonland

6 minutes ago, kev martin said:

I would suggest that Tom Sparrow given his youth and being down on endurance at the moment is looking to be an attacking back flanker who can break the lines and deliver a good release.

...been saying this for a while now but I think he is the obvious successor for Nev...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Back on the paddock, and they are into drills and simulations. Bayley Fritsch and Christian Salem setting up with great stab passes. A lot of the drills performed without much defensive pressure.

Ahh, the memories. When I was a kid (50 years ago) a "stab pass" was a low, quick, short drop kick. A thing of great beauty and very effective. I'll guess that's not quite what Fristch and Salem were doing today, although, I'm sure what they did still looked good.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Ahh, the memories. When I was a kid (50 years ago) a "stab pass" was a low, quick, short drop kick. A thing of great beauty and very effective. I'll guess that's not quite what Fristch and Salem were doing today, although, I'm sure what they did still looked good.

It was the stab pass, grass cutters. Oh, but without the old fashion drop. 

• Like 1

Question for those who attend the pre season training often...

Is Goodwin always there?

I was a little surprised to see him pictured at a time trial for example. Is that usual? Would think that as head coach his time might be better spent elsewhere.

Tactics, player analysis etc.... just strikes me as old school in these days of analytics etc to attend early stages of pre season training.

I'm sure he does the analysis etc but you have to wonder if his continued presence at relatively meaningless training exercises adds enough value to warrant the time spent.

• Haha 1

Just now, Diamond_Jim said:

Is Goodwin always there?

I was a little surprised to see him pictured at a time trial for example. Is that usual? Would think that as head coach his time might be better spent elsewhere.

Tactics, player analysis etc.... just strikes me as old school in these days of analytics etc to attend early stages of pre season training.

I'm sure he does the analysis etc but you have to wonder if his continued presence at relatively meaningless training exercises adds enough value to warrant the time spent.

What else would you like him doing in mid November?

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Well can you make comment on who you believe looked like they were struggling vs those who have really come back to make a point? 

I was at the back of the first pack.

Sparrow and Lockart both struggled from the start but kept in contact, 

Jake Lever out ran the second group by 40 meters.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

As I said... analytics for example... working strategies for and against his team and various grounds. Not as though our gameplan is foolproof.

Anyone can push a stopwatch.

There is plenty of other time for all that rubbish (the game evolves as the season goes on and teams all change their tactics, so it sounds like a big waste of time)

He has had the last 2 months to think about these things, doing it on the first day of training would be a silly time.

I would much rather the coach had a presence at training.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

As I said... analytics for example... working strategies for and against his team and various grounds. Not as though our gameplan is foolproof.

They train for a couple of hours a day, and not every day. Goodwin is a full time employee, and I doubt he clocks off once 37.5 hours is reached for the week. Reckon there’s plenty of time in his day to watch training and do the others stuff as well.

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Is Goodwin always there?

He is always there. Placed himself about 700 meters from the finish. Encouraging his players and I assume evaluating for strained, effortless or relaxed running.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Is Goodwin always there?

12 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Got anything else to complain about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nasher said:

They train for a couple of hours a day, and not every day. Goodwin is a full time employee, and I doubt he clocks off once 37.5 hours is reached for the week. Reckon there’s plenty of time in his day to watch training and do the others stuff as well.

and of course Norm Smith and Jock McHale did it that way too. In those days it was them and the bootstrapper who probably doubled as the liniment rubber.

Time and methodologies move on. Perhaps it's time we rethought our ways as well.

As someone else posted it does seem that there are some posters (not you Nasher) that pot anyone who dares question our successful club.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Yes, both did everything but the contact work.

They are looking in good condition. 

Great to see them out there.

Thanks for the great reports Kev. 

Just to clarify, AVB didn’t do the Tan run but was doing repetition 1km runs (to my eye) at Gosch’s (less stress on the feet?). After that he went out to do some ball work, and I can say I was mightily happy to see him looking “thereabouts” in terms of fitness. A really valuable new recruit if he can continue his development and translate it into substantial game time. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

53 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Is Goodwin always there?

He’s just back from a 2 week trip to America doing other things whilst the younger coaches took charge. So you aren’t entirely wrong.

They have less than a month of training now until Christmas break. Monitoring every live second of it should be his job! The skills and ball movement drills are vital to get right now. 

When they run at Goschs he’s usually talking to coaches, injured players or support staff or setting up drills etc. Hardly pushing the stop watch.

The time trial is a bit different. I think the coach wants to see times as well as who’s really pushing themselves. Plus be there for support and motivation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great - there’s going to be nothing in the tank for round 1 according to Melkshake! 

Seemed like that strategy didn’t work too well in the last qtr in Rd 1 Port in 2019

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Positive to hear that there were big numbers in participation. 

Less positive that a second year small forward ran second in a time trial in front of a host of midfielders coming into their prime. 

Oliver, Harmes, Brayshaw and Petracca (wants to play more mid). 

Quite alarming really. 

Why is it alarming, some players are faster than others so no big deal.

• Like 1