Goody Presser (8/8)

Demonland

15 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

I'd have expected the message to sound like:

• We've averaged 91 points against since the break, we'll be working hard on defensive running in the midfield to stem the bleeding
  • We don't have a forward line that can kick 90 points - we'll be going back to a 2014 Roosy approach where we embed defence first. Especially in the wet. We will win this game by limiting opposition scoring opportunities.
  • Speaking of the wet, we saw again last week after half time that we're still too cute with a slippery ball and over possess, as we have been since I started as coach. We saw first hand from a good wet weather team how to play in those conditions and we'll be drilling the players to implement the same this week.
  • Our quality of disposal on a turnover isn't great - we're not going to go flat out at every opportunity because we've seen that we just give the ball back far too often. I'm frustrated, and I know our supporters are frustrated. 
  • We were good for half a game last week. Yes - there's something to work with, but you don't win games of footy being good for a half. 
  • I understand why our supporters might question our leadership/captaincy when we are consistently beaten week in week out and our leaders are not demonstrably leading (eg laying tackles).  

Honestly

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

Is Richardson the messiah? Is he the only option?

Didn’t say he was the messiah did I????

I am sick of the “messiah” syndrome at the MFC. There is no such thing. 

Edited by DemonOX

3 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

Didn’t say he was the messiah did I????

I am sick of the “messiah” syndrome at the MFC. There is no such thing. 

Soz @DemonOX, I like to add a little drama to posts.

Anyway - I presume Goodwin may not like the cut of Richardson's jib...thus - there would presumably be a range of options OTHER than Richardson, who would fit well into the club.

Edited by Engorged Onion

58 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

I think I also heard him say he is NOT looking at getting Richardson into the club. 

Why change anything. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it obviously. I must be looking at a different game and team on the weekends  

FMD. 

Not sure if that's what he meant, or just that he's focusing on the season still at this stage.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 3.42.35 pm.png

1 minute ago, Engorged Onion said:

Soz @DemonOX, I like to add a little drama to posts.

Anyway - I presume Goodwin may not like the cut of Richardson's jib...thus - there would presumably be a range of options OTHER than Richardson, who would fit well into the club.

No worries.

Who are you thinking would be a good fit??

I thought Malthouse would be cause he is a cranky bugger and there would be a bit of good cop, bad cop at the club. 

He also knows how to win it and deal with multiple personalities. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

No worries.

Who are you thinking would be a good fit??

I thought Malthouse would be cause he is a cranky bugger and there would be a bit of good cop, bad cop at the club. 

He also knows how to win it and deal with multiple personalities. 

I disagree strongly with the need for an old school cranky coach (not older coach though). This generation doesn't deal with that style, and will either disengage from the process, or be too scared to play with freedom. It's not tenable nowadays. 

I have no idea who would be a good fit, but I know for certain due to what I get exposed to work wise, that old school coaches that  deliver information either via a 'rocket' or wants to get players to 'harden up' and just get on with the process - won't work in the 2020 club environment.

23 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

Thanks Lord. 

Good to know I am not hearing things!

Oh dear.  I fear you have heard what you want or expect to hear.  Please read it again.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Not sure if that's what he meant, or just that he's focusing on the season still at this stage.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 3.42.35 pm.png

A bit of selective quoting there Lord Nev, Goodwin continued " after that's not something I'm looking at but for me right now it is important I focus on this week"

• Like 2

Could be wrong but I make it 36 Ums and 8 scratchers to the  left leg this week. You reckon the players dont notice this. Beyond that high praise for the Captains and Angus Brayshaw, wow.

• Haha 2

I'm no fan of Goodwin but what do people want him to say, really? I stopped listening to coach and player press conferences years ago. They are just bait shops for journos to get a hyperbolic headline from. He could talk about a good receipe for muffins and I wouldn't give a [censored]. I judge him on game day.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Just remember, it’s a journey....

I'd like to arrive at our destination of a premiership at some point

It feels like our journey involves circling above the airport in a holding pattern for 50 years.

11 minutes ago, praha said:

I'm no fan of Goodwin but what do people want him to say, really? I stopped listening to coach and player press conferences years ago. They are just bait shops for journos to get a hyperbolic headline from. He could talk about a good receipe for muffins and I wouldn't give a [censored]. I judge him on game day.

Agree.  Can anyone point to the coach of any AFL team that says anything truly surprising and informative in one of these 'fill-the-media' interviews?  Sure there will be the odd example, but week in and week out it's all blah blah blah...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sorry kids said:

Could be wrong but I make it 36 Ums and 8 scratchers to the  left leg this week. You reckon the players dont notice this. Beyond that high praise for the Captains and Angus Brayshaw, wow.

Did he really praise our captains?

The same captains that had 0 tackles between them on a wet night and were far from our best players last week. I must be watching a different game to him.

And Brayshaw had 11 possessions last week. The same Bayshaw that averaged 26 touches last year, finished 3rd in the 2018 brownlow and will most certainly poll 0 votes this year.

What is this guy on?

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

39 minutes ago, demonstone said:

Nup, I don't think the players would take the slightest notice of what Goody says in his presser or count how many times he scratches his leg.  

Do you think he only does the ums and left leg scratching in press Conferences?  Do you not remember how quickly young people pick up and laugh about teachers or coaches idiosyncrasies? Fritta, I um want you to um play um back this week.

5 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Did he really praise our captains?

The same captains that had 0 tackles between them on a wet night and were far from our best players last week. I must be watching a different game to him.

And Brayshaw had 11 possessions last week. The same Bayshaw that averaged 26 touches last year, finished 3rd in the 2018 brownlow and will most certainly poll 0 votes this year.

What is this guy on?

To Brayshaw. he could have said,

Angus is down on himself for the way he is playing as you can see.

We think he is improving in some important areas

So we are encouraging him to keep working at it.......

Some honesty and positively at the same time.

Dont try and feed us rubbish when we can all see Angus is out of sorts. 

I think he should focus on answering with just mature supporters in mind and not worry about the media.