Jump to content

picket fence

Come Whatever MAY

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Macca said:

In how things actually work at clubs

You've found the like-minded here but in my world you wouldn't last 5 minutes

You talk like a juvenile so you therefore see the May outburst as fine.

Like for like.

 

Big words Macca. I have observed for 48 years what doesn’t work at the MFC

1. Lack of Leadership

2. Work ethic deficiencies

Year after Year

If you think my observations are somewhat juvenile, i don’t particularly care tbh, because this club is not like the 17 others, we are in our own little cocoon, and if you think it is going to be broken through conventional methods, it is you who are naive. 

The Departure of Roos and then PJ has proven that. 

As soon as they were both out the door 🚪 the whole place has fallen to pieces. A sad reality 

Stephen May’s Attitude onfield is an excellent addition. Standards must be raised, something our current Captains are incapable of enforcing. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Macca said:

And if you lot want to have a consistent argument you should be calling out Frost for not giving May a spray when he (May) needlessly turned the ball over with an errant short pass earlier in the game.

So how about it?

 

Perhaps May did receive some honest feedback from his teammates about that poor choice, and there was no fallout because he copped it and moved on.

It’s not about giving a player a spray every time they make an error and that’s not what anyone is suggesting. That is obviously not going to be good for anyone’s confidence. Sometimes though if a player has broken a cardinal rule, they need reminding of it. Paul Roos reminded Lynden Dunn of one by never picking him ever again.

Now I didn’t hear the interview myself but Redleg said Frost said himself that he overreacted. If we take that comment on face value, isn’t it possible that it just started out as a bit of tough love that only escalated when Frosty got on the defensive and bit back? Who can honestly say that they’ve never reacted negatively and excessively when given hard to hear feedback while emotions are high? I can fully appreciate how a situation like that can explode even though both parties have good and honest intentions.

I think your criticism of May and your apparent need to throw every mistake he makes back in his face in retaliation are totally unfair.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not denying that Frost didn't make an error but so did every other player during the game (including May) They are called clangers. Should May have run down the field and berated T-Mac for dropping an easy mark? 

You can't have players berating other players during the game - it's not on.

And May continued on for what seened like an eternity . . Frost had every right right to tell May to shove it and that's what he possibly did

Who the hell does May think he is anyway?

In the aftemath Frost mentioned that it is 'All gpod' but he's just smoothing over the waters.

As I said,  any error that May now makes should therefore be highlighted. 

So go to it folks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nasher said:

It’s not about giving a player a spray every time they make an error and that’s not what anyone is suggesting.

But we can't be selective with these things.

What if was Gawn berating Jones (for 10 minutes) Is that ok too?

Your argument has no weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Macca said:

But we can't be selective with these things.

What if was Gawn berating Jones (for 10 minutes) Is that ok too?

Your argument has no weight.

What? Of course you can be selective. There are degrees of indescretion and culpability in any offence. 

I’m also suggesting that it wasn’t intended as a spray and just escalated to that point because of the behaviour of the recipient. I assume you didn’t read past my first paragraph.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Big words Macca. I have observed for 48 years what doesn’t work at the MFC

1. Lack of Leadership

2. Work ethic deficiencies

Year after Year

If you think my observations are somewhat juvenile, i don’t particularly care tbh, because this club is not like the 17 others, we are in our own little cocoon, and if you think it is going to be broken through conventional methods, it is you who are naive. 

The Departure of Roos and then PJ has proven that. 

As soon as they were both out the door 🚪 the whole place has fallen to pieces. A sad reality 

Stephen May’s Attitude onfield is an excellent addition. Standards must be raised, something our current Captains are incapable of enforcing. 

 

I have seen what you've seen as well ... in case you weren't aware I'm also a demon supporter.

You make too many excuses and are the scapegoat king around here. 

May's outbirst serves no good at all. There are better ways to go about it.  And embarrassing a fellow player isn't it

May lost his rag and shouldn't have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nasher said:

What? Of course you can be selective. There are degrees of indescretion and culpability in any offence. 

I’m also suggesting that it wasn’t intended as a spray and just escalated to that point because of the behaviour of the recipient. I assume you didn’t read past my first paragraph.

I just reckon it's a bad look and no good comes from it.  Not sure we've heard the end of it either.

I wouldn't be assuming that May is seen as the worlds best teammate either

He's played 5 games and has a lot to prove.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I think your criticism of May and your apparent need to throw every mistake he makes back in his face in retaliation are totally unfair.

Well if he's going to dish it out he has to expect some pushback.

How else do you think it works?  It just ends with the May dummy-spit? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2019 at 9:25 PM, stevethemanjordan said:

Seriously, I'm embarrassed to be a Melbourne supporter if there are posters that think this is a bad look. 

Good God. 

I really appreciate Frosty's game and efforts - and signs of further positive development and values for the Club.

To receive a few words of tactful, concerned advice is just one stepping stone of many for his ongoing and unique footballing qualities.

I commend young Frosty for reminding the font of absolute information so provided that onfield, mid-game, and in the 'huddle' of footballing expertise and concern is not the perfect environment nor an ideal scenario for the public interpretation of important strategic matters.

Frosty most probably referred to his preference for a little chat in a more appropriate, mutually agreeable locale after the game - or more privately onfield -  and that this might elicit a deeper understanding and less personal shame for such a learner and possibly from such a mentor. I'd also suggest that Frosty might have felt the need to remind his mentor of one's own credibility this season - crossing several areas of season preparation. readiness and team penetration from such an equally unique perspective.

Albeit rather hypocritical in the eyes of some observers, May might well have provided instantaneous feedback with good intent from his vast array of experiential calling cards; so now, after the counselling event, Frosty is more able to select that type of defensive punch at the ball that wins games in the spur of the moment. After all, the path towards footballing glory, as Frosty might well concede, is a gauntlet of bumps and curves.

Thank you, gentlemen, for providing a moment of laterality in the challenging mindsets of MFC supporters. 

 

Edited by Deemania since 56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I’m also suggesting that it wasn’t intended as a spray and just escalated to that point because of the behaviour of the recipient. I assume you didn’t read past my first paragraph.

So it's Frost's fault again for not immediately admitting fault?  Maybe Frost was thinking about May's errant short pass at the time. 

Again,  who the hell does May think he is.

Did you at any stage of the May outburst want him to stop?  I'm betting you did and if so,  why excuse the behavior?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Macca said:

I have seen what you've seen as well ... in case you weren't aware I'm also a demon supporter.

You make too many excuses and are the scapegoat king around here. 

May's outbirst serves no good at all. There are better ways to go about it.  And embarrassing a fellow player isn't it

May lost his rag and shouldn't have.

I make excuses for the MFC???

No i do not,

YOU are the one who is excusing Frost. He F$&@ up and May let him know about it. 

GOOD, it’s about time players were accountable, there is no point in having a quiet chat once the game is over,  the time was in the now mid battle  “Don’t do it again...”

Me the Scapegoat King. I am the opposite of that. Too many supporters and Members let things go...Forgive..

When have i ever done that????

You really are having an off day Macca...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I make excuses for the MFC???

No i do not,

YOU are the one who is excusing Frost. He F$&@ up and May let him know about it. 

GOOD, it’s about time players were accountable, there is no point in having a quiet chat once the game is over,  the time was in the now mid battle  “Don’t do it again...”

Me the Scapegoat King. I am the opposite of that. Too many supporters and Members let things go...Forgive..

When have i ever done that????

You really are having an off day Macca...

No I am not having an off day at all

You're scapegoating Frost for starters.  What about all the numerous errors made by all the other players

Did you see May's almighty clanger for instance?  How about you call May out on that one.

May's outburst is probably a symptom of a much greater problem (player or club or both)

But you can't see that because you are too interested in your pound of flesh.

Put on your cool head and you'll see it my way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too much use of the word spray on here. I'm sure what May was trying to do, was to point out to Frost what he did wrong and what he should have done, maybe a bit too animated for some but it's an emotional game. Of course the word spray has a more negative connotation and suits certain agendas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Macca said:

No I am not having an off day at all

You're scapegoating Frost for starters.  What about all the numerous errors made by all the other players

Did you see May's almighty clanger for instance?  How about you call May out on that one.

May's outburst is probably a symptom of a much greater problem (player or club or both)

But you can't see that because you are too interested in your pound of flesh.

Put on your cool head and you'll see it my way.

Got nothing to do with my pound of flesh. 

I am sick to death of seeing my club being treated with disdain, by players who don’t learn and listen

A Club that appoints Leaders who have no idea how to lead...

This is why we are now 4-10 and 16th on the ladder. That is all i care about

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Got nothing to do with my pound of flesh. 

I am sick to death of seeing my club being treated with disdain, by players who don’t learn and listen

A Club that appoints Leaders who have no idea how to lead...

This is why we are now 4-10 and 16th on the ladder. That is all i care about

And there you go again with the scapegoating

It is now the fault of Jones & Viney.  Weeks ago ir was Goidwin and prior to that it was all Cameron Schwab's fault.

The reasons why we're 4 & 10 are many.  It isn't one thing and never would be one thing

And if you had more experience in these matters you'd know that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So May berates Frost for 'apparently' breaking team rules (an errant spoil that went in the wrong direction) but one could mount an argument that May broke an even bigger team rule.

And in the process quite possibly motivated the opposition

"Have a look at this rabble,  arguing amongst themselves.  Let's run all over them fellas"

You never give a sucker an even break. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Macca said:

So May berates Frost for 'apparently' breaking team rules (an errant spoil that went in the wrong direction) but one could mount an argument that May broke an even bigger team rule.

And in the process quite possibly motivated the opposition

"Have a look at this rabble,  arguing amongst themselves.  Let's run all over them fellas"

You never give a sucker an even break. 

Nah mate.

Frost: "I over-reacted in the heat of the moment and that happens as well. I over-reacted and made it look like a bigger deal than it was. He is expected to hold me to a high standard and that is what we want from 'Maysy' and all of our players."

Source

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lord Nev said:

Nah mate.

Frost: "I over-reacted in the heat of the moment and that happens as well. I over-reacted and made it look like a bigger deal than it was. He is expected to hold me to a high standard and that is what we want from 'Maysy' and all of our players."

Source

 

Player-speak

May was out of line and needs to pull his own head in

End of story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Macca said:

"Have a look at this rabble,  arguing amongst themselves

Yep, that's Demonland for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Macca said:

Player-speak

May was out of line and needs to pull his own head in

End of story

The coach has no problem with it and the player involved has no problem with it.

You're the odd one out I'm afraid mate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, demonstone said:

Yep, that's Demonland for you!

So true ... but without robust debate,  it would be a dull old place

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Macca said:

I'm not denying that Frost didn't make an error but so did every other player during the game (including May) They are called clangers. Should May have run down the field and berated T-Mac for dropping an easy mark? 

You can't have players berating other players during the game - it's not on.

And May continued on for what seened like an eternity . . Frost had every right right to tell May to shove it and that's what he possibly did

Who the hell does May think he is anyway?

In the aftemath Frost mentioned that it is 'All gpod' but he's just smoothing over the waters.

As I said,  any error that May now makes should therefore be highlighted. 

So go to it folks

To what end? 

Would you like to destroy May’s self confidence?

He’s one of our players now!

Edited by Skin Deeamond

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

having spoken to Steven And sat down with him , He seemed like a very no nonsense sort of bloke , very honest and up front. He just wanted to get on the field and play football and let it do his talking. which it finally is.  things take time and I believe we have a Leader in waiting and a general of our backline ( maybe forward line too ..... ) 

 

mark

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

The coach has no problem with it and the player involved has no problem with it.

You're the odd one out I'm afraid mate.

 

I don't think so nifty ... 'group-think' rules on the internet.  So most who have a minority view are not often apt to speak up.

You reckon this thread is a good sample size?  I don't.  i see it as a chance for most to just vent away.  Pound of flesh just happens to be the current whipping boy - Frost

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...