Jump to content
  • Podcast:      

Demonland

POSTGAME: Rd 12 vs Collingwood

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, nosoupforme said:

Petracca has played his best game  today and has now strung 3 good consistent weeks so far. Keep it going

Yep

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Petracca wins the ball 35-40 metres out from goal, slight angle, no confidence to take a couple of quick steps and nail the goal (he had the space and time), instead he hacks the ball forward in what was an attempted pass. He’s a junk time player with average disposal. TMac is having a year to forget, should he dropped, probably, difference is we know he is capable off. We’re still waiting for a break out game from Petracca. Any danger of laying a crunching tackle. No he wasn’t the sole reason we lost today but he’s not going to get anywhere near the likes of Treloar/Sidebottom/Pendles in his career. Our seasons shot, if we’re serious he should be dropped in a bid for him to realise his potential. I personally hoped he’s moved on at years end in our bid for a genuine mid of key forward.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

You have to feel positive about the fact that we can get the ball. But we cannot use it. The utter disrespect that Goodwin shows the wings at the MCG is embarrassing and makes him look like a moron.

Nobody cares that we smash them in clearances because they know nobody on the outside can do anything with it. 

Absolutely agree. All this modern inside outside talk is just another way of saying good wingman are worth their weight in gold on the G.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gawn and Harmes were brilliant.

Unfortunately, our midfield (with the exception of the two aforementioned players) doesn't know how to defend in transition. Until we fix this, we won't be a top 8 threat, let alone top 4 threat. 

Petracca is trying his guts out but IMO the coaches have completely ruined his confidence. He looks to pass off at every opportunity inside 50 and has done, since last year's ridiculous review of a single selfish effort. 

Goodwin is not going to make it as a senior coach unless he bites the bullet at the end of the season and changes the game style. Simple as that. We also need fresh ideas and fresh coaches to implement them next year.

We need Salem, Fritsch and KK all playing forward of centre / on the wings. Our ball use going inside is still ridiculous and is rarely to the advantage of the forwards. 

We need genuine crumbers in our forward half with speed. Jeff is done. He's too soft and inconsistent. He is the only genuine crumber we currently have. I hope we're scouring the country for a couple of speedsters with an ability to crumb. 

We need another genuine KPF to support Weideman. Tom McDonald is a good second or third fiddle, nothing more. The way things are going, both McDonald's will be off our list at the expiry of their current contracts, but I thought Weid showed some good signs today.

I think we'll struggle to win 5 games this year. It's all well and good to say our kicking was off, so it wasn't lost in the coaches box, but we have such little system to our play that it's time the blow torch was put fairly and squarely on Goodwin and co IMO.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

Collingwood didn’t even play good, we are just so shot. Had no idea going forward.

I thought their first quarter was excellent. Their pressure was A grade and they completely controlled the territory battle. 

After quarter time, our midfield stepped up, but our ineptness going forward and our inability to defend lost us the game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Viney is a limited footballer and in no way in the same class as Dahlhouse, who has the tricks and smarts to play forward.

Viney is an inside mid and thats it. 

I wonder if there’s resentment against him amongst the players? He was made captain very early and partly because his father was a club champion. He made silly, holier than thou statements about May who had a couple of beers with mates. He’s hard at it but his decision-making is not great and his kicking is not straight.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

Yes!

 

Edited by SPC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thehardtackler said:

Was at the game. I had a great view of Tom McDonald. He hobbled all game and struggled to break into a run. I fear that he has been mismanaged and should be rested the rest of the season to fix a very obvious injury.

He's hobbled all year. 

I was worried when I saw that footage at Viney's? wedding of him with his shoe off which wasn't all that far from round 1. 

He's been cooked all year,  get him out and get it fixed FFS. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, A F said:

Petracca is trying his guts out but IMO the coaches have completely ruined his confidence. He looks to pass off at every opportunity inside 50 and has done, since last year's ridiculous review of a single selfish effort.

He SHOULD be selfish. He should watch de Goey's game and see how a talented player turns half chances into goals.

Tracc has the talent, he should not have to worry about game plans, defensive pressure, etc. Just go out, see ball, get ball, wreak havoc. That's what freaks do, but he's not allowed to celebrate his freakdom. He's being turned into a second rate robot.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oliver had a nothing game. 33 disposals yet only 7 were kicks. Racks up big numbers but doesn't hurt the opposition at all.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mazer Rackham said:

He SHOULD be selfish. He should watch de Goey's game and see how a talented player turns half chances into goals.

Tracc has the talent, he should not have to worry about game plans, defensive pressure, etc. Just go out, see ball, get ball, wreak havoc. That's what freaks do, but he's not allowed to celebrate his freakdom. He's being turned into a second rate robot.

Good point!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stormy Dee said:

I wonder if there’s resentment against him amongst the players? He was made captain very early and partly because his father was a club champion. He made silly, holier than thou statements about May who had a couple of beers with mates. He’s hard at it but his decision-making is not great and his kicking is not straight.

 

What did he say about May?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jack Viney is not a popular member of the team, but some say that the captain isn’t supposed to be. 

I say he has elevated to the status he has within the club on the coat tails of his father and others look at him with a degree of resentment 

  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I'm going broken record in this... But

How the complete F is Spargo getting picked ahead of... ANB, Stretch, JKH, Lockhart, Preuss, ... anyone else fit

He's been pathetic the last 3 weeks, it was obvious to everyone, and he's picked again and puts out a totally shouse effort for most of the first half

Seriously, he's not up to AFL standard and I don't care that he got a few kicks in a team that was winning last year... That's the definition of a downhill skier!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KingDingAling said:

Goodwin is a poor coach, he always has been, but blaming him for our loses is bullsh*t. Goodwin isn't to blame for Salem turning the ball over all day, Viney declining, McDonald being a spud, and our mids not delivering the ball effectively into 50 (its not like Goodwin hasn't spoken of it). 

Im giving Salem a pass - the head knock must have effected him- he was supposed to have passed the concussion test- but something was drastically wrong with him? His usually one of best at disposal 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We seem to time and time again over commit to the contest around the ball and leave the opposition numbers on the outside to either receive the outlet pass or to shut down out players as they try to run it out. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if we can do a deal with the Storm, Cameron Smith would be handy in the forward line.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CHF said:

We seem to time and time again over commit to the contest around the ball and leave the opposition numbers on the outside to either receive the outlet pass or to shut down out players as they try to run it out. 

Shh! Don't let the oppo coaches know or they'll start exploiting it! 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, boydie said:

I wonder if we can do a deal with the Storm, Cameron Smith would be handy in the forward line.

Also he wouldn't get pinged for throwing. Umps don't ping anyone for that these days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

I know I'm going broken record in this... But

How the complete F is Spargo getting picked ahead of... ANB, Stretch, JKH, Lockhart, Preuss, ... anyone else fit

He's been pathetic the last 3 weeks, it was obvious to everyone, and he's picked again and puts out a totally shouse effort for most of the first half

Seriously, he's not up to AFL standard and I don't care that he got a few kicks in a team that was winning last year... That's the definition of a downhill skier!

Not sure he is VFL standard either. Lockhart is a jet, would be a straight swap if Goodwin wasn’t the selector!! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

I know I'm going broken record in this... But

How the complete F is Spargo getting picked ahead of... ANB, Stretch, JKH, Lockhart, Preuss, ... anyone else fit

He's been pathetic the last 3 weeks, it was obvious to everyone, and he's picked again and puts out a totally shouse effort for most of the first half

Seriously, he's not up to AFL standard and I don't care that he got a few kicks in a team that was winning last year... That's the definition of a downhill skier!

Ask Maximum Bob - he is BIG Spargo fan- although he has not posted 1 reason why. I was told from a credible source that Spargo is this years  "project player" for Brendon Mc Carthy. Maybe McCarthy has some sway at selection?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Petracca wins the ball 35-40 metres out from goal, slight angle, no confidence to take a couple of quick steps and nail the goal (he had the space and time), instead he hacks the ball forward in what was an attempted pass. He’s a junk time player with average disposal. TMac is having a year to forget, should he dropped, probably, difference is we know he is capable off. We’re still waiting for a break out game from Petracca. Any danger of laying a crunching tackle. No he wasn’t the sole reason we lost today but he’s not going to get anywhere near the likes of Treloar/Sidebottom/Pendles in his career. Our seasons shot, if we’re serious he should be dropped in a bid for him to realise his potential. I personally hoped he’s moved on at years end in our bid for a genuine mid of key forward.

I have defended petracca at the start of the season due to lack of fitness, then a few poor games called for a change of role. But failing to kick for goal and trying to pass it is a coach driven practice. Ive read in a past article where our plan is to put it in "the hot spot" in front of the square as this is where the highest percentage of accurate goals is kicked from. Goodwins huge on numbers and the plan is to get  it to someone in this position. For a forward flank petracca meets the pass mark. Sad as i hoped ge would be much more.

5 minutes ago, A F said:

Gawn and Harmes were brilliant.

Unfortunately, our midfield (with the exception of the two aforementioned players) doesn't know how to defend in transition. Until we fix this, we won't be a top 8 threat, let alone top 4 threat. 

Petracca is trying his guts out but IMO the coaches have completely ruined his confidence. He looks to pass off at every opportunity inside 50 and has done, since last year's ridiculous review of a single selfish effort. 

Goodwin is not going to make it as a senior coach unless he bites the bullet at the end of the season and changes the game style. Simple as that. We also need fresh ideas and fresh coaches to implement them next year.

We need Salem, Fritsch and KK all playing forward of centre / on the wings. Our ball use going inside is still ridiculous and is rarely to the advantage of the forwards. 

We need genuine crumbers in our forward half with speed. Jeff is done. He's too soft and inconsistent. He is the only genuine crumber we currently have. I hope we're scouring the country for a couple of speedsters with an ability to crumb. 

We need another genuine KPF to support Weideman. Tom McDonald is a good second or third fiddle, nothing more. The way things are going, both McDonald's will be off our list at the expiry of their current contracts, but I thought Weid showed some good signs today.

I think we'll struggle to win 5 games this year. It's all well and good to say our kicking was off, so it wasn't lost in the coaches box, but we have such little system to our play that it's time the blow torch was put fairly and squarely on Goodwin and co IMO.

 

Weids looked pretty good in the last when he was hit up on the lead. Encouraging. 

Oliver was at his most damaging tonight. Unfortunately it was his defensive attributes that were damaging us because he follows the contest and allows his opponent (trelore) to position himself as the outlet with no pressure. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

What did he say about May?

He just spewed out the club line that May had disappointed everyone. He was no doubt told to do it by the big bosses. 

Edited by Stormy Dee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    QUEENS BIRTHDAY BLOCKBUSTER by Bananabender

    A little known fact for Victorians is that Queenslanders don’t celebrate the Queen's Birthday in June but rather in October. The scheduled date on this year’s calendar is 5 October, 2020. However, I have a suggestion for Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and that is to move the date forward a month and a half to this Saturday so that the coming clash of traditional rivals, Melbourne and Collingwood, continues a longstanding tradition of our game — the Queen’s Birthday Blockbuster. Her Majesty w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE TORRENS THUMPING 2.0 by George on the Outer

    Once again the banks of Adelaide’s Torrens River witnessed the Melbourne Football Club handing out another on-field thumping to its opponent. This time the hapless victim was North Melbourne and given it was only the club’s second win against them since 2007, it was a very satisfying outcome. The Demons got off to a slow start once again, looking listless from their four day break, a situation that wasn’t helped by Sam Weideman and Christian Petracca missing easy set shots. At the first bre

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE 2020 EQUATION by Whispering Jack

    The 2020 equation is simple for the Melbourne Football Club – it must keep winning and it must take some big scalps during the second half of the season without dropping games against the lesser lights. The Demons have gone down this season to the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th teams on the ladder including twice by less than a goal in games that could easily have gone the other way. Against that, they have beaten 11th, 13th, 14th and 18th and though they thumped the Crows during the week, the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE TORRENS THUMPING by George on the Outer

    THE TORRENS THUMPING - LEAVING THE DEMONS BEHIND That headline might lead a reader to think that Melbourne had lost badly in Adelaide but no!  It was actually the MFC which left it’s demons from the previous week behind as it applied the blowtorch to the Crows in the final quarter of their match at the Adelaide Oval and went on their merry way to record a 51 point win before their biggest crowd of the year (even if they were mainly hostile). Much had been made in the media about t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STATE OF DEESASTER by the Oracle

    Melbourne’s circus caravan rolls into Adelaide on Wednesday night, an event that will put shivers up the spine of every Crows’ supporter as they look directly into the face of disaster. The flakey Demons left their home town a month ago and proceeded to rough up the Gold Coast Suns and Hawthorn in Sydney before moving on to the sunny Queensland where they missed by a bee’s diaphragm against the more or less local second-on-ladder Brisbane Lions. Then, they had to butter up against the top t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    OVERPOWERED by George on the Outer

    In a dismal display against Port Adelaide, Melbourne showed it had learnt nothing from their previous week’s loss to Brisbane. Port, in contrast, after losing to St.Kilda, addressed their failings, and as a result made the Demons look like a second-rate side.  Melbourne failed to score a goal in the first quarter, and the first time it seriously troubled the goal umpire was saved until a minute before half-time.  Did it get any better?  No with their meagre three goals for the sec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DESPERATION OF THE MOMENT by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s recent win against Hawthorn highlighted how important Max Gawn’s ruck domination is for the team. A week later however, that domination continued but its effect was totally blunted by the Brisbane Lions midfield and, as a consequence, what could have been an easy win over a leading AFL contender turned into a disappointing but close loss and a sense of desperation now looms over the club as the halfway mark of the season approaches. This week’s opponent in Port Adelaide also und

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE FOUR POINT FAIL by George on the Outer

    Melbourne went down by 4 points in a thrilling finish against Brisbane, but they failed by more than the 4 points.     They also failed to score the 4 points necessary to keep them in the race for the finals, and now find themselves sitting 6 points outside the top 8, but effectively 2 games outside (even though they have a game in hand).   The Demons had more than enough opportunities to win.  Six very easy shots on goal failed to bother the goal umpire with a major and ultimate

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER PART 2 by The Oracle

    The travelling COVID circus moves north of the border yet again and, unless at some time in the near future, Papua New Guinea opens its borders, this could be the last time this phenomenon happens. And as fortune would dictate, the resurgent Demons are walking directly into the sights of the locals from the bright lights of Brizvegas to Carrara - the scene of some long-forgotten (and deservedly so) battles with one of the Lions’ former incarnations, namely, the Brisbane Bears. But unli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ON THE NOSE by George on the Outer

    One of the Hawthorn Football Club’s valued sponsors is Azep® Nasal Spray and given the thrashing handed out to the Hawks in today’s game, it would appear that they need a huge supply of the sponsor’s product because they are simply on the nose. This condition was caused by the sheer dominance of the Demons, led magnificently by skipper Max Gawn with 27 hitouts and 22 disposals including two clearances. Around him in the middle were Christian Petracca with 29 touches, Clayton Oliver (also on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PREMIER LEAGUE by Whispering Jack

    So the new man under the pump is Clarko, which demonstrates how sad but predictable the football media is these days. In an age where each AFL team’s form can be topsy turvy and unpredictability is the order of the day, the coach of a team that has played five out of the top six teams from the previous season and sits with a 3/3 win loss record is this week’s whipping boy.   This comes admittedly on the back of a bad fortnight from the Hawks who in recent years have exhibited an enormous

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SUNSMART by George on the Outer

    If you don’t want to get sunburnt, you follow the Sunsmart rules.  Melbourne took the advice and with their season on the line, avoided getting burnt by the Gold Coast Suns, with a gripping 17 point win. It was a match that could have gone either way, with the sides within a kick of each other for all but the final minutes of the final quarter. Melbourne had stretched the lead earlier in the game to 18 points, but that quickly evaporated to a neck and neck race to the finish.  Finally,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...