Round 5 Non MFC games

Diamond_Jim

Funny thing. I just saw a player from the worst side in the VFL shepherd out his opponent instead of trying to pick up the ball himself. As a result his teammate was able to run through and take the ground ball uncontested and launch an attack. How is it that Frankston players understand this basic skill while supposedly professional players at Melbourne are unable to do it?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

Funny thing. I just saw a player from the worst side in the VFL shepherd out his opponent instead of trying to pick up the ball himself. As a result his teammate was able to run through and take the ground ball uncontested and launch an attack. How is it that Frankston players understand this basic skill while supposedly professional players at Melbourne are unable to do it?

I’ve seen Melbourne players shepherd about five times in the last five years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am not that arrogant that I won't admit when I am wrong. I was wrong when I said we will be Carlscums first win, we will be just one of their wins.

Pace, skill and a reasonable gameplan, yep they have that. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

Agree think it’s almost a lost art at AFL level

Was a basic skill taught at junior level in my time 

100yrs ago 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Old Bear said:

Agree think it’s almost a lost art at AFL level

Was a basic skill taught at junior level in my time 

100yrs ago 

It's  a move that requires no foot skills, no clean hands and no pace. Literally any hack can do it and contribute to their team winning the ball. How is it that nobody on our list understands this?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

bont, libba, macrae and hunter all massively down

topsy-turvy season

can carltank break not just the win ledger but crack the 100 point mark?

They are officially ahead of our List...  at this present stage. 

We have little left in Our reserves tank,  to speak of.

We've seen our best, last year...  and now its a different AFL game in 2019.

3 hours ago, DV8 said:

They are officially ahead of our List...  at this present stage. 

We have little left in Our reserves tank,  to speak of.

We've seen our best, last year...  and now its a different AFL game in 2019.

We’ve both won one game and both look like bottom four clubs to me

They’re not very good, and neither are we

Our best last year was miles ahead of Carlton’s best for the last decade or so, however

But yes, it seems football has changed quite significantly in 2019, and we look miles off the pace

22 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

We’ve both won one game and both look like bottom four clubs to me

They’re not very good, and neither are we

Our best last year was miles ahead of Carlton’s best for the last decade or so, however

But yes, it seems football has changed quite significantly in 2019, and we look miles off the pace

they're ahead of us Re Talent on paper.  Names on their list. Future players.

IMO, we all got ahead of ourselves when we got Viney and Hogan, and then one or two others.

... and we gloated when we saw Hunts raw speed streaming down one side of a ground.

We all seem to have felt like its all happening... "as it should be"...   this does not account for ups and downs, for injuries, for form, and for retirements or just aging.  We at Melbourne all survive on Hope eternal, and we become overly optimistic at the dropping of a coin.

And this leads to our own despair, when things go awry.

My argument is we have to hit the draft strongly again.   Because many of our good players are aging and others are hurt.

1 hour ago, Watts the matter said:

Pick 9 Sam Weideman

Pick 10 Harry McKay

Weideman was not a mistake. BuT Weide is about all we got from the draft that year.

The Blues IMO cleaned up that year with Curnow, McKay, Weitering,

• Shocked 1

9 minutes ago, DV8 said:

Weideman was not a mistake. BuT Weide is about all we got from the draft that year.

We drafted Oliver that year.  He is significantly better than all three of those players.

• Like 1

On current ladder position we are the second worst team in the comp. that $26 for the spoon is looking enticing. Based on current form Swans and Kangas will battle us for number one draft pick. Evidently when we connect and transition better we will no longer be easy beats. Yeah and pigs will fly.

Easter Monday... hard to imagine that not that many years ago this along with QB were the rounds of the season.

Now it just seems to be one more game at the end of a very long round.

Perhaps five days of football is too much.

Combine it with the games on Wednesday, Thursday and the coming weekend we have football on ten days out of eleven.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DV8 said:

You may have missed our ginger headed All Australian and Bluey Truscott winning midfielder.....

• Haha 1

I’m attending this match today sitting in a corporate box. Should be a good experience watching two arch rivals play some quality football and not have to tear my hair out!

16 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

I’m attending this match today sitting in a corporate box. Should be a good experience watching two arch rivals play some quality football and not have to tear my hair out!

Cool. Drink ? up on the Company!!

12 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

We drafted Oliver that year.  He is significantly better than all three of those players.

I don't think He is  'TPF36'.

I think Oli is as good as any of them... maybe just ahead,  but not by much...  with regard to effecting their sides outcomes.  They each only hold down one position on-filed at a time.

Any player only has 2 arms and 2 legs...  so unless we get Siamese twins,  then one player is just one player.  What your talking about is tiny percentages of benefit, between each player. the

The point is that they picked up at least 3 top line players from that single draft, and all are still young.   And have already showcased their talents.

So we fell back one top-line player in that 2015 National Draft.   And THEY have drafted plaenty of 2nd stringers from GWS whci will help them no end.

Our 2nd string players are very Ho-Hum.

Poor Depth at the moment is suffocating Our team.