Farewell Jesse Hogan

wizardinoz

17 minutes ago, Radar Detector said:

In the same way we were left exposed when Lever went down, who comes in as key forward if we trade Hogan and one of Weid or TMac go down?

Trading Hogan still feels ridiculous to me.

Ridiculous. It is utter insanity. I have just read the latter parts of this thread and think it is madness.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DavidNeitz9 said:

Regardless of what we get for him, would prefer he left this year if he wants out, we don't want players who are half in, half out

Good point, the fact he won't sign this summer and is open to a trade suggests his head may be already out the door anyway, I wonder for how long.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Barassi said:

Yes, it panned out that way, but we could have extracted more at the time if we played hardball

How so?  The market for him was extremely cold, with basically Port the only interested team after Geelong pulled out early.

Pick 31 was fair, and then we made out like bandits when we selected Fritsch.

I'm confident we'll do the right thing in the end.  Look at the great deals we brokered for Melksham and Hibberd, while Lever is already proving to be a good deal as our first rounder this season would have been in the very late teens as it is.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SFebes said:

Thats OK, Jones, Lewis will be gone by then and maybe Hibberd, Jetta also.

Don't put that evil on me. Jetta in a wheel chair will still do a better lockdown job than oscar or frost.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

The salary cap is on the rise though... right? Not sure but I think it's + $1m for next year

not sure the exact numbers tbh. still most of our group we already have will be wanting pay increases.

20 minutes ago, Axis of Bob said:

If you do the sums with the points then it was effectively a single pick 7 for Lever. 

You're assuming people give a stuff about "points value." That sort of stuff matters when you're dealing with the clubs who need those points for academy players. In the real world a first rounder, or early first rounder is of huge value. Consider this year losing Hogan... and getting pick 5 and a player. Is pick 5 enough to get Max King (if they want him)? If not, then it's not as valuable. Points be damned.

The same is true of the Lever trade. We did it cos we had identified the kids we wanted, and knew we could get them later. Fritta, Spargo... these guys have worked out fine.

3 minutes ago, dl4e said:

Ridiculous. It is utter insanity. I have just read the latter parts of this thread and think it is madness.

It's not madness at all. They didn't choose to trade him. He's wanting out. They're making the best of a bad situation.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dr.D said:

To be honest, I think Cerra looks a lot better than Andrew brayshaw. 

i agree.. its like everyone thinks that andrew brayshaw is angus brayshaw. they aren't the same player. not sure why everyone keeps referring to him?! they are brothers yes. it'd be nice if they got to play together. but surely we'd be after the best player from freo.. and that would be cerra.

1 minute ago, Rocky said:

i agree.. its like everyone thinks that andrew brayshaw is angus brayshaw. they aren't the same player. not sure why everyone keeps referring to him?! they are brothers yes. it'd be nice if they got to play together. but surely we'd be after the best player from freo.. and that would be cerra.

I haven't seen much of him... I know he's contracted and signed away.... what's he like (modern player comparison)

9 minutes ago, dl4e said:

I don't think the club is seeking a trade. But if he is open to a move and the club would benefit of course they're doing it.

22 minutes ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

With Shiel leaving, GWS wont be squeezed for money. It would be hard to pry whitfeild out before free-agency.

Totally agree. I was just making the point that we would not get Whitfield for a solitary first rounder.  

1 minute ago, Wolfturdo said:

There were a lot of people here who heard him say he wanted to stay and took it as gospel. I don’t expect these people to own up now but they were here.

Keep believing everything, it’s serving you well. 

I think most people were saying they didn't want him to be traded. Not that he absolutely wouldn't be. Subtle but important difference.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MurDoc516 said:

So we have enough money for one big fish + the 800k or whatever a year Hogan is on available. How do we fit May, Gaff, Preuss and Whitfield into that space? Gaff will want a min of 800k himself and then May would be 600k+. Are we paying Preuss and Whitfield in high fives and IOU notes.

Gaff wants $1.1m.

• Haha 1

Just now, Patches O’houlihan said:

Roosy reckons we should just refuse to trade him. 

peter bell just said the dockers would be crazy not to talk to a player of hogans quality if he was open to a move. doesn't mean much but still something

8 minutes ago, MurDoc516 said:

not sure the exact numbers tbh. still most of our group we already have will be wanting pay increases.

Agree but they'll roll through on recontracting

So with some on longer term deals and some higher enders coming off the general increasing trend would help the club as it grabs new players

The interesting part to all this is the wording of “Open to a trade”, it doesn’t suggest a super strong go home factor but of a if a deal that benefits us can be done he’s happy to go. 

All year we’ve been hearing that he’s happy here and enjoying his footy with us, I would think him missing out on playing finals this year would make him want to stay even more. 

But then there could well be a lot more going on that we don’t know. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

No one wants Hogan out, but if the writings on the wall that he will be gone at the end of 2019 we may as well get a better deal now.

AND, With Preuss and Gawn we can play two ruckman if one of TMAC or Weed goes down

Agree.  Just don't like it.

5 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Roosy reckons we should just refuse to trade him. 

That goes against his policy of trading before a player becomes a free agent.

A ruthless club wouldb do the trade if it was aware that said player was going to leave a year later for zilch.

Edited by Stretch Johnson
  • Like 4