Tex and Jenkins, softest big men in the game

My belief is Adelaide won't get anywhere near a premiership with these two.

Crows look good when playing possesion footy but soft as butter without it. 

Should trade both at end of the year and go back to the draft. 

Haven't got the patience to dissect in detail but reality is if ur two big men are that soft u can have all the preseason trips u want it won' and can' change the attitude of all players....

SOFT

• Like 1

Jenkins is a dud. Goes missing under the slightest bit of pressure 

tex can’t take a mark over his head and doesn’t run hard enough to get it on the outside. At least hogan has worked out he isn’t a freak pack mark and works hard to get his opponents on the lead 

I must say that prior to last year's finals I thought that Tex was pretty good as a player and a leader, but

1. his GF "performance"  (if one could call it that), and;

2. his hypocritical carry on over Lever (after getting Gibbs in very similar circumstances, acknowledging age differences),  I changed my mind.

He is a sook as a leader and a soft KPP forward.

• Like 6

Walker is a good player who is out of form. Don’t understand the need for hyperbole - softest in the game is just nonsense. He might be a massive knob and had a horrible GF, but he can play.

Jenkins is frustratingly unphysical for such a big man, he’d cause fans to tear their hair out. He’s a 40 goal a year forward though so he must do something right.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I was sitting in the cheer squad 6 rows back and got to have a close look at Jenkins and more significantly Oscar on Jenkins. Jenkins was rag dolling him early. Oscar couldn't match him one on one and was just knocked off his feet. Sitting there looking close up at him and Walker and Lynch and McGovern and Betts and seeing Oscar getting monstered so easily I was thinking early on this is daunting this forward line looks scary intimidating. But Oscar held Jenkins goalless and did enough in enough contests to negate his influence. Stats can be funny things. He only had 4 disposals but there's no stats for the amount of times he beat Jenkins punching the ball away and stopping him marking. They need a stat for that for stats to have any relevance for a backman's role.  Jetts only had 4 stats but you wouldn't have thought that either with his influence. 

On the other hand Frosty had the physical strength to take Tex on one on one and beat him and once he took off Tex didn't even try to catch him. Frosty has a very rare X factor with height, strength and speed. His decisions, brain fades and skill can be scary but I'm surprised he hasn't been given more of a go. He played a significant role in the win. I have no doubt there's at least two games we would have won if he'd been selected. 

• Like 12
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, It's Time said:

I was sitting in the cheer squad 6 rows back and got to have a close look at Jenkins and more significantly Oscar on Jenkins. Jenkins was rag dolling him early. Oscar couldn't match him one on one and was just knocked off his feet. Sitting there looking close up at him and Walker and Lynch and McGovern and Betts and seeing Oscar getting monstered so easily I was thinking early on this is daunting this forward line looks scary intimidating. But Oscar held Jenkins goalless and did enough in enough contests to negate his influence. Stats can be funny things. He only had 4 disposals but there's no stats for the amount of times he beat Jenkins punching the ball away and stopping him marking. They need a stat for that for stats to have any relevance for a backman's role.  Jetts only had 4 stats but you wouldn't have thought that either with his influence. 

On the other hand Frosty had the physical strength to take Tex on one on one and beat him and once he took off Tex didn't even try to catch him. Frosty has a very rare X factor with height, strength and speed. His decisions, brain fades and skill can be scary but I'm surprised he hasn't been given more of a go. He played a significant role in the win. I have no doubt there's at least two games we would have won if he'd been selected. 

The 1%er stat includes spoils.

14 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Taylor Walker was an absolute gun when he played at Norwood, but he has never consistently bought it to the AFL. 

Last years GF is still haunting him i have no doubt. 

His Mojo has disappeared 

Barry Hall was never the same player after his shocker in the '06 GF. 

21 minutes ago, Nasher said:

The 1%er stat includes spoils.

Yeh but you rarely get that stat provided and it still isn't broken down. A 1% could be a shepherd. I don't find it a very useful stat except for a guidance of effort & attitude level. 

13 minutes ago, It's Time said:

Barry Hall was never the same player after his shocker in the '06 GF. 

I don’t remember it. I was watching the game with a Meth Coke supporter at the game, she nearly broke my arm in the last quarter she was holding it so tight. 

I realized then that if the MFC were ever in the same situation, i wouldn’t cope well at all!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I don’t remember it. I was watching the game with a Meth Coke supporter at the game, she nearly broke my arm in the last quarter she was holding it so tight. 

I realized then that if the MFC were ever in the same situation, i wouldn’t cope well at all!!!

I went through that the year before. In the last couple of minutes the stranger I was sitting next to lent over and said he's got a heart problem and starting to feel symptoms and I might need to go get medical help for him. I'm thinking, mate are you serious. Just hang on. Have it in a couple of minutes. Fortunately as far as I know he was ok. I took my son in '06. We flew down from Sydney. He was 8 and hoping to see a Swans win. There were a few very expensive tears. He was half and half Swans and Dees being born and bred Sydney but pretty much after that he's been 100% Dees ever since. I keep making sure he remembers its not my fault. 

32 minutes ago, It's Time said:

I went through that the year before. In the last couple of minutes the stranger I was sitting next to lent over and said he's got a heart problem and starting to feel symptoms and I might need to go get medical help for him. I'm thinking, mate are you serious. Just hang on. Have it in a couple of minutes. Fortunately as far as I know he was ok. I took my son in '06. We flew down from Sydney. He was 8 and hoping to see a Swans win. There were a few very expensive tears. He was half and half Swans and Dees being born and bred Sydney but pretty much after that he's been 100% Dees ever since. I keep making sure he remembers its not my fault. 

Wow. It was so like that. This girl was a stranger before the game. 

By the last quarter her pulse was through the roof. 

I am suprised more people don’t die, during close finishing games, particularly September

• Haha 2

Last year younger Tiger supported did. At the G. Sadly, think it was asthmatic arrest. 

Medical statistics prove MCG safest place in the world to have out of hospital cardiac arrest. 

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

I'm actually a huge fan of Tex. Beautiful kick on both sides, smart footballer, aggressive. 

He has a couple of problems: 
1. Not suited to the captaincy. 
2. After his ACL and even more so with injuries this year he moves in very straight lines. Frost is therefore the perfect match up because Frosty can stop most guys who just lead straight up at the ball. When our pressure was good up the ground it made Walker's movements predictable. Pyke really should've moved him deep so at least he could've worked Frost up and back and round and round.

Jenkins. Never been a fan. Not a smart footballer. Great athlete and good skills but that's about it. Oscar can play him from behind and use his body to keep him under the ball. If Oscar was in good form he would've even marked some of the contest where he kept Jenkins under it.

Anyway. Who cares about the Crows big boys? I'm more worried about our own.

Tommy isn't catching it nearly as well as he did earlier in the year, his kicking is hot and cold and his tackling is disgusting. Got to get those ankles moving again. Lateral agility drills all day long please.

Hoges is a mess. Not jumping, not running. And on the weekend not even holding simple marks.

3 hours ago, thesleepinggiant said:

My belief is Adelaide won't get anywhere near a premiership with these two.

Crows look good when playing possesion footy but soft as butter without it. 

Should trade both at end of the year and go back to the draft. 

Haven't got the patience to dissect in detail but reality is if ur two big men are that soft u can have all the preseason trips u want it won' and can' change the attitude of all players....

SOFT

Tex's change of direction is the worst in the comp.  Probably the worst in the AFL, SANFL and VFL.  Great coaching to put Frost on him, and instruct him to run off him.

Yes, you can't put the house on Adelaide while concrete Walker and Jelly Jenkins are their main go-tos.  Lucky for them, they have great picks in a super-draft care-of an over-zealous buyer last year.

39 minutes ago, TGR said:

... Lucky for them, they have great picks in a super-draft care-of an over-zealous buyer last year.

Fortunately that pick is looking worse with every win

15 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Worth remembering that Sat night was Walker's first game back from injury.

Would benefit from slimming down over summer. Less weight and bigger tank 

Lol he got reported. That's why he wasn't playing. He's been back from injury for about a month..

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Nasher said:

Jenkins is frustratingly unphysical for such a big man, he’d cause fans to tear their hair out. He’s a 40 goal a year forward though so he must do something right.

Flat track bully like Hogan.