Post Match Discussion - Round 12

Demonland

2 hours ago, timbo said:

Same, what started as corn chips, frothies and a carnival friendly atmosphere of Dees (father and son) V pIes (wife) quickly devolved into matrimonial disharmony due to my inability to not take it so seriously

I feel your pain. I have only just started being civil again to my husband after he insisted putting the replay on as soon as we got home after the game. I told him that I would never forgive him. I am one to hold a grudge so I probably won't.

• Like 5

Well that was disappointing

Credit where's it due. They played in front and were first to the ball. We were somehow unable to.

But crikey ...

That was a game where everything went C'woods way. It happens. Every bounce of the ball, straight into their hands. For us, odd bounces or slow ones giving oppo time to grab us.

Every stray kick went to them. Every rushed, side of the boot, up in the air .... went to them.

They were really geed up for this. It really was their grand final. They targetted Max. They formed huddles and circles and spent a lot of nervous energy. Great for them but I don't think any team can can sustain it.

If the game was played again next week, result might be different. But ... It was played Monday and they outplayed us. With a fair slice of help from the footballing gods.

Disappointed but no more than that.

GO DEMONS!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, jane02 said:

I feel your pain. I have only just started being civil again to my husband after he insisted putting the replay on as soon as we got home after the game. I told him that I would never forgive him. I am one to hold a grudge so I probably won't.

Like your style.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, jane02 said:

You must learn, as the Demons must, to be hard at the man and ball every time. As a habit.

• Like 2

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere - Tom Mc and Oliver made TOTW.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2018-06-13/oliver-mcdonald-in-team-of-the-week

And on FC the other night Chris Judd named Oliver as the best under 21y.o. in the league and will one day win a Brownlow?

• Like 6

Gus really good analysis on AFL exchange podcast. Said that Dees were getting complacent and it was better to loose than to limp over the line the way they were playing. They are re-focusing and are better for it. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, Dee-licious said:

Gus really good analysis on AFL exchange podcast. Said that Dees were getting complacent and it was better to loose than to limp over the line the way they were playing. They are re-focusing and are better for it. 

Could have left the complacency until after they got to second spot on ladder. 

• Like 1

Questions need to be asked why De Goey was allowed to lead the rat pack on their merry way. He and all his mates had a field Day. It was clear early in the first quarter that if he wasn't properly tagged and made accountable,, it was going to be a long hard slog to get the four points we so desperately needed.. The coaching panel should to take a long hard look at itself. Their effort to me almost matched the pathetic performance of most of our players on the  day. Barring Tom who can yet again hold his head high. Thankfully we have two weeks to get back to some sort of team effort. I wonder if the coaching panel realized how many goals we scored while De Goey was sitting on the bench?

2 hours ago, Crompton's the man said:

Going home on the tram after the game on Saturday, my wife and I started chatting with a guy about my age, with his brother.

Friendly bloke, interested in the game and like us, a bit subdued about the day.

I commented to him that the game reminded me of one in the Peter Daicos era, early nineties , one to which we had dragged all five of our children and with the same thing happening  outplayed, outscored and the icing on the cake as we walked up the aisle afterwards was to have Collingwood supporters looking down on us yelling 

‘it’s like having all your worst nightmares come true innit ?’

This chap in the tram said ‘ I remember that game  

I was the coach ‘

He offered me a selfie and a Kleenex

Thanks John Northey -   a real gentleman and a pleasure to talk to.

Just wish we could have met under different circumstances .......

Why was it that Northey was the coach with whom very few were critical, minimalist, negative? JN was absolute as coach, just like Norm Smith, and complex in his understanding of football and the development of footballers - and the MFC. With gaps all over the field, he got the Dees to finals, big time. He was adroit, quiet, driven, so it comes as no surprise that he is/was the complete footballing gentleman (and one who was worthy of great appreciation).

• Like 2
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Dee-licious said:

That is not quite what Gus said.  What I heard was that on Monday we weren't at our best.  So not being at our best if we had limped over the line then they could become complacent going into the bye break.   So losing on QB prevents that.

Sorry to be pedantic. 

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-13/podcast-are-magpies-genuine-premiership-contender

It is a worry tho' that our players would become complacent at any time in the season regardless of how many games we win or by how much: blowout or close shave.  Not sure they're cured of the 'bathwater syndrome' yet. 

Agree Gus is really good on AFL Exchange.  He is on air often.  Anyone know if it is a regular gig for him?

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Brisbanedemonfan said:

Another thought that occurred to me overnight was that Buckley has essentially double the experience as a coach to Goodwin. Just as much as any new player, stepping into the role as a head coach requires learning on the job. So yes Goodwin was outcoached, he'll learn from it just the same as the players will. He made poor team selections, put players in roles they aren't suited too, and he didn't change the game plan when things went wrong quick enough or well enough. He'll learn, he'll add it to his memory bank, he will learn and get better just like any other new player. 

There also seems to be too great an urgency to develop younger players for the purposes of multiple roles, positions, functions, try-outs and flexibilities. Some very good footballers are missing consistency in their experience, honing in on core skills and attributes to then employ in other areas of the game, when required at some future point.

Swinging play-makers to tagging or negating roles is such an error, so early in their careers. 

The thing that is so good about our impression of the depth and skill of the team is that in one or two roles, these players are excelling.

In multiple roles, these players are running in the ether.

The loss of Lever is unfortunate but it was not panic time. It seems as though the FD considered that it was the case. Some static expectation may be required for the developing professional footballers to master just one or two key aspects of their game before considerable variation is thrust upon them. This perseverence was offered the OMac and against the expectation of many, it worked very well. It has worked for Jetta, and now Melksham and Hibberd.  It might work for the Weed, it might work for Harmes, ANB, Petracca, Gus, Spargo, Hunt, Kent, Maynard and TSmith. JSmith has not really entered this domain, but should be included, as well. I have omitted many other young players to keep this post brief, but Petty, Baker are amongst the other 'sum' of players who could be extended this courtesy at a time when others a fading: hate to say it - Vince, Lewis and (dread) the Chunk. 

51 minutes ago, SFebey said:

Have Harmes, ANB, Hannan or Petracca improved at all this year? 

Harmes has.  ANB has in patches, the same with Hannan, although they lack a little consistency in this regard.  Petracca was improving until he buggered his finger and he hasn't been the same since.

Just now, Wiseblood said:

Harmes has.  ANB has in patches, the same with Hannan, although they lack a little consistency in this regard.  Petracca was improving until he buggered his finger and he hasn't been the same since.

I personally think all 4 have plateaued or gone backwards.

5 minutes ago, SFebey said:

I personally think all 4 have plateaued or gone backwards.

Disagree on Harmes.  He is up on most of his previous season averages in disposals, tackles, inside 50s and so forth.  He has been pretty consistent this year.  I can forgive an off game on the weekend, but he has most certainly improved to this point.  Won't argue Trac, while ANB and Hannan have their ups and downs so you could argue they have tapered off somewhat.  Hannan is only playing his second season though so I can forgive that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jane02 said:

You could always disconnect the T.V. or cancel the Foxtel Jane02. Maybe you will get revenge come finals time

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2018 at 6:07 PM, ProDee said:

Pedersen was his typical ineffectual self as a key forward.

I'd play Weideman ahead of him every day of the week.  Taller and far more athletic.

Just a pedantic moment: Pedersen was not really playing as a key forward but rather as a third tall with ruck duties. 

And I agree that Weideman played the role better than Peds did on Monday, and is the future.  

2 hours ago, SFebey said:

Have Harmes, ANB, Hannan or Petracca improved at all this year? 

Harmes - yes

ANB - yes

Hannan- probably a bit

Trac - sadly, no

7 hours ago, Crompton's the man said:

Going home on the tram after the game on Saturday, my wife and I started chatting with a guy about my age, with his brother.

Friendly bloke, interested in the game and like us, a bit subdued about the day.

I commented to him that the game reminded me of one in the Peter Daicos era, early nineties , one to which we had dragged all five of our children and with the same thing happening  outplayed, outscored and the icing on the cake as we walked up the aisle afterwards was to have Collingwood supporters looking down on us yelling 

‘it’s like having all your worst nightmares come true innit ?’

This chap in the tram said ‘ I remember that game  

I was the coach ‘

He offered me a selfie and a Kleenex

Thanks John Northey -   a real gentleman and a pleasure to talk to.

Just wish we could have met under different circumstances .......

Did Northey offer an opinion as to what we were doing wrong....and what we should be doing differently ?

9 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Did Northey offer an opinion as to what we were doing wrong....and what we should be doing differently ?

I don’t think he would have answers. Sure his sides reached heights but also failed when ultimate success was there for the taking.

24 minutes ago, america de cali said:

I don’t think he would have answers. Sure his sides reached heights but also failed when ultimate success was there for the taking.

Northey is no nong ADC..he would be astute sufficient to note things we need to address and how.

I wasn't requiring the entire solution just his view.

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Northey is no nong ADC..he would be astute sufficient to note things we need to address and how.

Yes, it's pretty straightforward. CFC were first to the ball. That works in any era of football.

Northey would have said, get to the ball first or I'll have Leigh Matthews tough up Spargo in the showers.

(well, the first bit at least. JN might have reserved the toughing up for himself)

6 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Sorry BB

we didn’t go there and he wasn’t giving free advice to the peasants  -  possibly would have if asked. 

He might also have said that we had had a bad day