2006 thread - Brock: I want to be captain!

Demonator

I was catching up on some stuff I taped during the footy season this morning and I came across an interview with Leigh Matthews on the last Grumpy Old Men. While I was watching the interview I couldn't help but think that Brock McLean has a lot of the attributes that a young Lethal had in his early days with Hawthorn. Matthews was recruited from Chelsea in the late 1960's when that area was part of Hawthorn's metropolitan zone. Others who came to Hawthorn from that area in that era were Martello, Moncrieff and Leigh's brother Kelvin. The zone was then reallocated to Melbourne and we did pick up the Healys from Edithvale-Aspendale. Greg Healy was our youngest captain ever. However, but for a little better timing with the change of zones we could have picked up a few champions including Lethal - voted the greatest footballer of the era and a fantastic leader and premiership winner for the Hawks.

Then I read the above article and I thought to myself - we might just have the next one.

Hi guys!

Obviously Brock would be my choice for next el capitano :wub: but lately I've been trying to put my finger on what makes him the obvious choice for so many of us. Everything about him is just so right and has been since the get-go. Obviously he is a great leader, he is an amazing player with a great footy brain. What media he has done has been impeccable and he JUST LOVES FOOTY... They broke the mould when they made our Brocky that's for sure, and for him to state that he wants the captaincy, and doesn't appear fazed by money or media only gives me more confidence that he is the future of our club. What good hands it will be in!

Meanwhile poor old Sylvia is on the sidelines watching his mate Mclean burn up pre-season training and openly state that he wants to be captain whilst knowing that he was taken higher in the draft and hasnt met expectations thus far. Im sorry Col but I'm changing my display pic from you to Brock. :(

Meanwhile poor old Sylvia is on the sidelines watching his mate Mclean burn up pre-season training and openly state that he wants to be captain whilst knowing that he was taken higher in the draft and hasnt met expectations thus far. Im sorry Col but I'm changing my display pic from you to Brock. :(

hmmm, you've either got it or ya don't! Unfortunately for Sylv, Brock has it in bucketloads!

just when you think you cant love the guy anymore he comes along as says that!

i think we start a petition to present to the club at seasons end simply stating

"if neitz decides to give up the captaincy, mclean has to have it"

words doesnt justify the amount i admire this young man

Sorry sylvia has had the worst pre seasons imagainable unlike McLean

• 3 years later...

sorry i just had to bump this haha boring on a sunday arvo got to me!

"I'm never going to leave Melbourne. When the time comes at the end of the year I'll sit down with the club. But footy comes first at the moment."

What he said:

When the time comes at the end of the year I'll sit down with the club. But footy comes first at the moment."

The Nostradamus version of what he might have been thinking:

When the time comes at the end of the year I'll head off to Europe with Nathan Carroll and give the Greeks and Germans a real touch up.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.