Perfect TV coverage .. what is it

Diamond_Jim

38 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

Allow for the commentators (when you don't have it on mute) to crticise the umpires. Nothing p!sses me off more than when a dubious free kick results in a goal to the opposition. Then the commentators skip over it, don't mention it and don't show a replay.

Call it for what it is. If the players make skill errors they point it out.

Problem is, the commentators in their ignorance would make mistakes there too. They have been shown many times to say "oh,how did he miss that!?!?!?" or "what was that for?!?!?!?" only to say after watching the replay "oh, it looks like the umpire was right. Good decision."

Having the commentators of all people inflame the baying mob would be counterproductive to better, more consistent umpiring.

• Like 1

Interesting comments by all in that most if not all of the things requested are readily available in many sports broadcasts.

The overhead or wide angle coverage is the most obvious.

Love or hate Formula 1 but its coverage is fantastic.

The message for the sports broadcasters is that the fan is demanding greater bang for their buck whether it be free to air or pay.

For the future imagine a gyroscopically stable camera inside the football. For the up close view it is not as silly as one might think. Or perhaps not so attractive but like Race Cam on the formula 1 cars we could have navel cameras on some of the players.

14 hours ago, Stinga2 said:

HD would be a good start. It's very poor that the national code is not aired in HD on 7. Even the NRL is through 90.

Bought one of the new fancy OLED TV's. Aside from footy I only watch DVD's so I would now appreciate footy broadcast in HD more than ever. Having the most premium sport in the land not in HD on FTA is a huge insult to fans and FU Foxtel!

21 minutes ago, america de cali said:

Bought one of the new fancy OLED TV's. Aside from footy I only watch DVD's so I would now appreciate footy broadcast in HD more than ever. Having the most premium sport in the land not in HD on FTA is a huge insult to fans and FU Foxtel!

Also picked up an OLED late last year, 720P footy rips are good but I'd love to be able to watch it in proper HD when the game is live. 

None of this 'delayed 40 minutes' crap.

• Like 1

Hate the long distance lens where you can't pick up the players and they look like dots. Also the commentators describing every detail rather than letting the camera show the story. Overtalking and useless statistics a la Bruce of past games etc. 

44 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Interesting comments by all in that most if not all of the things requested are readily available in many sports broadcasts.

The overhead or wide angle coverage is the most obvious.

Love or hate Formula 1 but its coverage is fantastic.

The message for the sports broadcasters is that the fan is demanding greater bang for their buck whether it be free to air or pay.

For the future imagine a gyroscopically stable camera inside the football. For the up close view it is not as silly as one might think. Or perhaps not so attractive but like Race Cam on the formula 1 cars we could have navel cameras on some of the players.

I've already got Melksham pencilled in as a whipping boy. I don't to see his head shot on gyrocam.

4 minutes ago, hemingway said:

Hate the long distance lens where you can't pick up the players and they look like dots. Also the commentators describing every detail rather than letting the camera show the story. Overtalking and useless statistics a la Bruce of past games etc. 

Yesterday while watching the WCE v Saints match I noticed the use of the overhead shot (on replay) to show the running patterns of all the players in the forward 50 prior to the forward taking a mark. It's probably been around for a while but I have not noticed it before.

Interesting seeing the spread of forwards and the problems it causes for a zoning defence

My preference would be a wide angle view and crowd noise only - replicates being at the game (to a degree)

As it is, I can adjust the audio on the telly to increase the crowd noise and lower the volume for the commentators to a point where their inane commentary can barely be heard.

And it took them years but Channel 7 in Melbourne are broadcasting the games in HD ... it must be the interstate viewers who are missing out. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Macca said:

My preference would be a wide angle view and crowd noise only - replicates being at the game (to a degree)

As it is, I can adjust the audio on the telly to increase the crowd noise and lower the volume for the commentators to a point where their inane commentary can barely be heard.

And it took them years but Channel 7 in Melbourne are broadcasting the games in HD ... it must be the interstate viewers who are missing out. 

Regional Victorians still don’t get access to the HD channels. That’s the boat I’m in, which is one of the major reasons why I subscribe to Foxtel. That and the fact that it’s pretty much the only way I get to see my Demons play (since they’re almost never on FTA).

1 minute ago, Chook said:

Regional Victorians still don’t get access to the HD channels. That’s the boat I’m in, which is one of the major reasons why I subscribe to Foxtel. That and the fact that it’s pretty much the only way I get to see my Demons play (since they’re almost never on FTA).

That's just not good enough ... the overseas coverage of sport leaves ours for dead.  In nearly all aspects.

I've got cable as well but more than half the people I know don't have cable.  Are ch7 not doing Saturday arvo games now? ... there's no Sat arvo game again next week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macca said:

Please explain

Just now, monoccular said:

Please explain

Our telly has different types of audio - sport, cinema, normal etc. 

The 'sports' audio lowers the volume of the commentary quite a lot yet also increases the volume of the crowd quite a bit.  Sony Bravia has this feature but I'm not sure with other TV types. 

I discovered it by accident years ago. 

More of Luke Hodge and absolutely zilch of BT ( talks as much s*** as Michael Clark)

Now the bloke is back from the Indian Board of Control Broadcaster we might get more pictures of DANGER instead of Kohli exercising his shoulder.

I really enjoy when the lead up/passage of play is shown e.g the Watts_> Jonesw-Harmes etc goal. That is the advabtage of Foxtel over Channel 7 with no ads during play.

I do have a query as to how we will go playing late on a Sunday when we are drawn to play Richmond or C'wood the next Thursday.