Second Ruckman

Straight Sets Simon

Second Ruckman  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i too was surprised that Russian was in the lead.. no offence to Jamar..but he's a bit one dimensional. Grooming anyone to compliment Jeff is ludicrous.. we are trying to REPLACE Jeff.. ( no offence either to White..but facts are facts)

PJ has a bit of a game in him..and will continue to get better. I have this feeling that Jamar is plateuing !!

Now Johnson and Neaves...now thats a prospect !! :-)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The current poll result surprises me. I voted PJ.

Jamar has had more than ample opportunity to develop his game and demonstrate his worth, and apart from 'decent' tap work, his work around the ground has been particularly disappointing. His work up forward hasn't impressed me to date, and I prefer the natural skill of PJ over Jamar's any day. To me, PJ works harder and has more room to improve. His tap work is improving and with more work will be equal to Jamar's by the end of the year. IMO.

It'll be interesting debate come the end of the year.

Either way it is unlikely we will retain both at year end.

So one has to go. For my money its Jamar. Jamar is neglible at the centre bounce and does not hurt other teams around the ground. He just does not get his hands on the ball.

PJ has his faults and weaknesses but gets a bit more of the ball and is more mobile with better ball skills than Jamar. Given where the AFL game is going, I prefer PJ.

Either I suspect that we will have White, PJ or Jamar and either take Neaves of the rookie list or recruit a young capable ruckman.

It'll be interesting to see what Melbourne could get in the form of draft position for Jamar. We nabbed pick 15 for Jolly and traded Simmonds previously. I doubt there would be any teams out there willing to give more than a third round pick for the big Russian at this stage. He'd only fetch a third round pick due to the lack of big men floating around in the system inflating the asking price of ruckmen.

It'll be interesting to see what Melbourne could get in the form of draft position for Jamar. We nabbed pick 15 for Jolly and traded Simmonds previously. I doubt there would be any teams out there willing to give more than a third round pick for the big Russian at this stage. He'd only fetch a third round pick due to the lack of big men floating around in the system inflating the asking price of ruckmen.

Pants, is Jamar out of contract this year?

The current poll result surprises me. I voted PJ.

Jamar has had more than ample opportunity to develop his game and demonstrate his worth, and apart from 'decent' tap work, his work around the ground has been particularly disappointing. His work up forward hasn't impressed me to date, and I prefer the natural skill of PJ over Jamar's any day. To me, PJ works harder and has more room to improve. His tap work is improving and with more work will be equal to Jamar's by the end of the year. IMO.

It'll be interesting debate come the end of the year.

You do realise this is a thread from this time last year right?

Jamar's really struggling right now. Has not come on in the way I had hoped, where as at this point, PJ is developing better than I thought he would. Can I revote? :D

Edit: Sorry about the thread closure, seems you can't close the poll without closing the topic. Topic (and poll) reopened!

I had high hopes for Jamar, and I really believed he could be a good ruckman for us, given his size and the fact that ruckmen are getting increasingly more giant every year. What he didn't have in height, he could make up for in strength.

Sadly, his tap work (which is very good, probably equals to that of Jeff White at the moment) is not enough anymore. He is a ruckman who could play only one of two positions, center circle and bench.

These days, you can't afford to waste bench spots on someone who doesn't run and can't do anything up forward or down back.

It is a real shame though, because his technique is very good, while PJ's is well... amusing (and that's being kind).

Pants, is Jamar out of contract this year?

I had a look at an old post from September 2006 on this site and Jamar's contract was due to expire at the end of 2007. I don't know if he's had it extended since then (The contract that is).

onya Nash...lol.. hadnt realised that ....still shows this situation hasnt improved much!!

whatever pick we get for whomever goes ( if case ) will only help in the great game of trade week. Which if we dont have a result from will be more detrimental than the season proper.

ok...sounds like a silly question...but when a contracy say ends in ..say 2007...when exactly in 2007 ?..at waht point does the club have no claim in other words? thanks

ok...sounds like a silly question...but when a contracy say ends in ..say 2007...when exactly in 2007 ?..at waht point does the club have no claim in other words? thanks

End of the season. That is, once the club has played its last game and has had its last training run for the season, that player is out of contract.

I think Jamar was in front at the end of last year but thats because PJ was injured.

I like the way PJ goes about his footy and believe he has further scope for improvement.

So if he can play out the year, I expect PJ to go past Jamar.

Interesting to see how many peoples opinions have changed since last year.

I think i posted the last post before this thread got bumped, and i'm glad to say i still feel the same as i did then.

More than anything tho, just happy that PJ is repaying a bit of faith i'd had in him.

Interesting to see how many peoples opinions have changed since last year.

I think i posted the last post before this thread got bumped, and i'm glad to say i still feel the same as i did then.

More than anything tho, just happy that PJ is repaying a bit of faith i'd had in him.

Doggo,

PJ has not really repaid the faith.

Jamar has just cashed his in.

PJ and Jamar are not there yet. If anyone is going to make it in today's footy I think it is PJ. Note I did not say will. PJ still has a lot to prove IMO.

Pj hasnt had the game mimutes that Russian has yet.. then a comparison can truly be made..apples v apples etc.

PJ seems likely, just isnt yet.

Doggo,

PJ has not really repaid the faith.

Jamar has just cashed his in.

PJ and Jamar are not there yet. If anyone is going to make it in today's footy I think it is PJ. Note I did not say will. PJ still has a lot to prove IMO.

Point taken.

My point, more than anything though, is that he hasn't been the hopless sod that many here had predicted.

Rather, he has looked far more likely to succeed than Jamar in a much shorter amount of time. And that was the faith that i had in him. There's still a long way to go for him, but from all indications, he is moving in the right drection.

i think that in terms of list management, having a minimum of 3 ruckmen who can play in the firsts and one developing ruckman is a fair quota. given that, unless neaves is deemed to be able to play seniors next year and we are going to recruit another ruckmen, then we should consider trading jamar.

what are the thoughts of picking a ruckmen if hes best available, with a top 3 pick (i.e. Kruizer has been touted on this site)? risky?

john meeson is currently at adelaide, has been for 3 years, injurys and others good form has kept this pick 8 (correct me if im wrong) from a draft few years ago in the 2's

is a victorian boy (played for the falcons in TAC cup) might be someone to try and lure back, and adelaide love their big bodied ruckman, jamar could go home?

i thought jamar would have ended up being the beter of the 2 but it certainly hasn't gone that way considering how many tyms jamar has had his opportunity ... he really just doesn't get enough of the ball around the ground PJ seems to get more of the ball and isn't to bad of a player can mark as well and is more mobile than jamar

Instead of bumping the thread you could have just created a new thread making your point and referencing (linking to) the 06 poll.

Would have saved some confusion and it seems people are voting on the poll today which probably skews the results in favour of PJ (whereas I imagine Jamar would have had more of a lead back then).

PJ looks like he wants to play and I think once he gets more ground time and confidence he will be good for us. PJ has a disire for the contest, that was evedent when he did his shoulder last year, he wants to be in the play. Jamar just runs to positions and usually away from the contest unless it is deep in defense. Whether he has been instructed to play that way I don't know but he never seems to be where the ball is, expect at ruck contests.

Would have saved some confusion and it seems people are voting on the poll today which probably skews the results in favour of PJ (whereas I imagine Jamar would have had more of a lead back then).

Indeed. The poll now has PJ in front where as before Clint's bump is was tipped well in favour of Jamar. I tried to lock the poll but alas, you can't. It's completely meaningless now.

Indeed. The poll now has PJ in front where as before Clint's bump is was tipped well in favour of Jamar. I tried to lock the poll but alas, you can't. It's completely meaningless now.

Like I said, I ran out of time and the only reason I bumped this thread so as not to create another one on the same topic.

Moreover, I wanted to see whether or not people had the same optimism about Jamar now like they did last year.