Delistings

junk

7 minutes ago, Biffen said:

I'm surprised Terls got the flick.He was just coming good!!

No surprise considering he wasn't given at least one or two games in the seniors to show something. Seems like a waste, but if the club wouldn't want to even take one chance on weakening the 22 and giving him a go, then he was doomed.

Edited by DominatrixTyson

7 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Does delisting mean anything to FA status, as far as a club getting compensation?

Yeah - no compensation for a DFA.

What it does do is remove any strings from another club wanting to pick him up for free - it helps the player out.

• Like 2

I know that Jack Grimes' limitations as a footballer made his time at the Dees over. But to see "delisted" next to his name just feels wrong to me. For an ex Captain who gave his all during those horrible years I wonder if there was a more dignified way to help him exit. Feels a little bit North Mebourne-ish and clumsy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maldonboy38 said:

I know that Jack Grimes' limitations as a footballer made his time at the Dees over. But to see "delisted" next to his name just feels wrong to me. For an ex Captain who gave his all during those horrible years I wonder if there was a more dignified way to help him exit. Feels a little bit North Mebourne-ish and clumsy. 

No easy way of doing it

Feel a lot for Grimesy. Good luck son, and to the other two Jones and Terls. Thanks for all your efforts.

• Like 1

Just now, chook fowler said:

No easy way of doing it

Yeah, I know, just makes me feel sad for Grimes who I greatly respected. We burnt a lot of potential footballers from 2008 - 2014 and at times Grimes rose above all the junk and  represented the Dees with dignity and strength. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Yeah, I know, just makes me feel sad for Grimes who I greatly respected. We burnt a lot of potential footballers from 2008 - 2014 and at times Grimes rose above all the junk and  represented the Dees with dignity and strength. 

I understand that.  I always had a soft spot for Jack - he did everything he could for the club, took on the captaincy in our darkest days and was clearly the consummate professional off it as well.  I'll always have the highest respect for him.

But, in the cold light of day, this is the only way to do it.  It was pretty clear that he didn't fit in to our plans going forward and, at the very least, this shouldn't come as a surprise to him or us as supporters.  I'm sure he already knew the writing was on the wall.

I still think he could contribute to a club somewhere, such as Brisbane, for a few years at least.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Reverend said:

Thanks for your service boys. 

These guys saw the worst of recent times. It's always sad when players are dee-listed but that's progress. We are making progress aren't we?

Too early to say. 3 years ago you would have said that they were all required players. If next year we're talking about BenKen, Melksham and Bugg in the same light, we've still got a way to go.

Matt Jones managed to play what 10 games this year? Terlich and Grimes shouldn't have been on the list this year but there was no way to get rid of them and their contracts. Certainly a long way to go.

Now that said:

Grimes was a warrior when he first started. Unfairly burdened with the captaincy and injury. Gave his all. Just didn't have the skills or speed of decision making for the modern game IMO. I thank him for his service.

Terlich gave us something in 2013 with his willingness to run and attack the game, great tackler as well. Another who's skills weren't up to it. Seemingly a popular team mate. I'm glad he had a good year in the VFL this year.

Matt Jones was a polarising player. I thought we had a good one in 2013. Fantastic spread from a contest and decent work rate. Yet his skills weren't great and more so his physicality was poor. 

Good luck to all of these guys.

• Like 1

If Grimes wasn't a free agent, and another club had an interest in him, the club may have arranged a token trade to soften the blow. Being a FA, it becomes a pointless excercise.

I actually doubt that Grimes will be picked up. The parallels between the careers of Grimes and Jed Adcock are remarkably similar. Both former captains delisted by their club. And after watching the VFL GF last week, the right call was made in both cases.

44 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Yeah - no compensation for a DFA.

What it does do is remove any strings from another club wanting to pick him up for free - it helps the player out.

Well that makes sense then.

If being a FA stopped him being taken by a club, then we have done the right thing, in making it easier for him to find a new home.

42 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Read post 402 and my reply in 415.

53 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

I feel the same about Grimes being delisted, I dont like it.. However, comparing Grimes exit to North exiting of Boomer is a ridiculous comparison, I will not go into detail, but, sit back and compare both players.. And really thing about it.

2 minutes ago, Felix said:

I feel the same about Grimes being delisted, I dont like it.. However, comparing Grimes exit to North exiting of Boomer is a ridiculous comparison, I will not go into detail, but, sit back and compare both players.. And really thing about it.

He didn't make a direct comparison between Jack Grimes and Brent Harvey, he said North Melbourne-ish ie delisting 4 'favourite' players in one hit and in a rather clumsy way, his opinion , a lot of supporters, myself included, have great respect for Jack Grimes the person, myself from the many conversations I have had with him, I am sorry to see him go, but understand why the club has done it from a footy point of view

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Too early to say. 3 years ago you would have said that they were all required players. If next year we're talking about BenKen, Melksham and Bugg in the same light, we've still got a way to go.

Disagree. These 3 can actually play.

Without being disrespectful towards the players it's bleedingly obvious the list has improved tenfold. 

• Like 1

Hard to believe 2 of these blokes were top four in the Bluey and 1 was skipper just 3 years ago.

The top 10 is simply horrific reading when you think about it bar 2 players..........brace yourselves

2013 Melbourne best and fairest results

Winner: Keith ‘Bluey’ Truscott Memorial Trophy – Nathan Jones 

Second: Sid Anderson Memorial Trophy – Colin Garland 

Third: Ron Barassi Snr Memorial Trophy – Dean Terlich

Fourth: Ivor Warne-Smith Memorial Trophy – Matt Jones 

Fifth: Dick Taylor Memorial Trophy – Colin Sylvia 

Sixth: Lynden Dunn

Seventh: James Frawley .

Eighth: Jack Trengove 

Ninth: Jeremy Howe   

Tenth: Tom McDonald 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thesleepinggiant said:

Disagree. These 3 can actually play.

Without being disrespectful towards the players it's bleedingly obvious the list has improved tenfold. 

I am far convinced Kennedy and Bugg are a lot better than those three just deleted and Milkshake who knows.

Just now, Satyriconhome said:

Does that mean from your memory banks, coz you are like me and you need the space for new information OD

Bloody iPad got me again Saty. 

Sadly I think quite a bit has been deleted the last few years.