Training - Friday 22 April, 2016

MadAsHell

Along with the obvious enquiry to anyone that goes as to how Jeff goes with his fitness test. Can people please keep a look out for Billy Stretch & Joel Smith.

Neither on the injury list and neither named for the two Casey teams. Stretch was 23rd man last week and didn't see Smith cop an injury so wonder if either of them make it onto the track today?

Cheers.

7 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

I doubt Garlett will have a fitness test in view of the public.  I think he will train today and then play Sunday.

I think he did one last week in public didn't he? Which did seem a bit odd.

As much as I want to see Petracca debut, I don't want him at the expense of Garlett. He is one of our most important players.

• Like 6

The "Petracca is ready and waiting" should eliminate any complacency by the 22 selected to play Richmond. 

With Oliver "rested" and Petracca "waiting" the boys should be focused and firing. 

• Like 7

Todays training session feels like a game, the anticipation.  Wed all love to se Trac debut but  want Jeffy in the team too.  

Regardless Im sure both will be in the seniors next week, well maybe.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2016 at 7:50 AM, Flemo56 said:

Is training at gosh's and at what time, anyone?

9:45 am

i'm about to jump in the car now, will do my best to get updates through.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

I doubt Garlett will have a fitness test in view of the public.  I think he will train today and then play Sunday.

Running through a ladder indoors doesn't sufficiently reflect genuine match-day conditions.

I'm not sure why posters were poo pooing other posters on the notion of "resting" Oliver.

Roos openly admitted that they "overplayed" Brayshaw last year.

First year players like Oliver come in after the preseason has already started and then are limited in the work they do in that preseason. 

To expect them to be able to cope with a full season of the rigors of AFL in their first season is folly.

We as posters have no idea how footballers are physically travelling but as much as I love Oliver in the team I have no problem going back to Casey for "rest".

For those who are also saying that if you are fit enough to play Casey you are fit enough to play AFL, I ask you to consider why there are so many footballer we have seen who do so well at VFL but can't make a fist of it in the AFL. VFL is a good vehicle to get competitive match time, miles into the legs and hone the skills, but reaction times, skill levels, physically  and aerobically there is a wide gulf between AFL and VFL requirements.

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, nutbean said:

I'm not sure why posters were poo pooing other posters on the notion of "resting" Oliver.

First year players like Oliver come in after the preseason has already started and then are limited in the work they do in that preseason. 

To expect them to be able to cope with a full season of the rigors of AFL in their first season is folly.

We as posters have no idea how footballers are physically travelling but as much as I love Oliver in the team I have no problem going back to Casey for "rest".

For those who are also saying that if you are fit enough to play Casey you are fit enough to play AFL, I ask you to consider why there are so many footballer we have seen who do so well at VFL but can't make a fist of it in the AFL. VFL is a good vehicle to get competitive match time, miles into the legs and hone the skills, but reaction times, skill levels, physically  and aerobically there is a wide gulf between AFL and VFL requirements.

Absolutely correct.  This is a smart move in my view and looks after the physical welfare of the kid as well as keeping mentally fresh.

• Like 1

Just now, nutbean said:

Yeah im with you nutty, as i said in the changes v richmond topic, we rested Hogan last year in round 7 and he was training a lot longer than Clarry has been.

No need to rush the young fella, we have the talent to replace him and the smart coaching group to recognize that burning your players out is the wrong way to go about things.

2 hours ago, Forest Demon said:

I think he did one last week in public didn't he? Which did seem a bit odd.

As much as I want to see Petracca debut, I don't want him at the expense of Garlett. He is one of our most important players.

Garlett back adds a dynamic that no one else in the side can provide. That electric pace and sixth sense that finds him wherever the ball ends up is so invaluable.

I had to laugh when I checked out bigfooty and the richmond plebs were going on about how Morris will towel him up. Please.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, nutbean said:

Nutbean, I suspect they won't even play Clarry over at Casey.  It's a 5.5 day turnaround for the seniors and 6.5 for the Casey guys until the Saints at Etihad.  I suspect they'll want him to be as fresh as possible and hence it will be a genuine rest, not just a rest from the rigours of AFL.  

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Copuchas said:

Nutbean, I suspect they won't even play Clarry over at Casey.  It's a 5.5 day turnaround for the seniors and 6.5 for the Casey guys until the Saints at Etihad.  I suspect they'll want him to be as fresh as possible and hence it will be a genuine rest, not just a rest from the rigours of AFL.  

Maybe so..

I think my comments also can be a reference to Petracca. I suggest only the fitness staff know when they believe a player is ready but I do dislike the notion that if a player can play 85% of game time at Casey then he automatically must be ready to play at AFL level. VFL is very helpful but it is still a step up to AFL.

8 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

It makes no sense to me that a player would be rested only to line up in the VFL.

They may indeed rest him altogether but going back to Casey can also be a "deload" - you don't need to go from full AFL games to nothing. You go back to Casey to play limited time at a lower level where the pace, fitness requirements and physicality would not be as great.

Vince apparently had a very heavy workout last Saturday to keep his fitness at peak. They may decide on Oliver to go with fitness workout for Oliver on the weekend or limited at Casey to keep his touch good.

Only the fitness staff would know but it makes sense to me. 

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, nutbean said:

I didn't like the idea and Roos himself admitted he's not sure if he needs one just that they're conservative with young players and learnt from Brayshaw last year.

I remain unconvinced it's necessary.  

• Like 3