2016 will be a breakout year for...

Ted Lasso

On 31/01/2016 at 4:30 PM, ProDee said:

qtGkTdy.jpg

40 goals was the target or he's a failure this season.

Go Jack, 3 to get or Pro will be crowing all preseason!

That bit of play on the weekend when he gathered the bouncing ball, dodged Lewis and sent a 50 metre pass to Tyson which never got more than 15 feet off the ground was sensational.

Congrats Jack, not only a ripping bloke who has backed the club to the hilt but now a ripping footballer.

Sorry Pro, I had to think of a reason to again highlight what a great year he is having.  

• Like 9

On 1/31/2016 at 5:39 PM, ProDee said:

Merriment aside,  he needs to kick 40 goals in 2016.

It's his 8th year and last in contract, it's literally now or never. 

The talent is there, but will the mind deliver ?

Nostradamus.

• Like 2

On Sunday, January 31, 2016 at 7:30 PM, The Song Formerly Known As said:

Had one already (2015), what he will do this year is cement himself as one of the premier ruckmen of the competition. 

#nicnatwho?

Nailed it.

47 minutes ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Knock it off Stu, it's a feel good thread now.

I'm allowed to respond BB, and this poster has done nothing but bag Watts ever since joining this site and is now trying to take credit for predicting him becoming a very good player. It's ridiculous and transparent.

Edited by stuie

On 22 February 2016 at 9:58 AM, Django said:

Jack Viney is going to tear the comp to bits this year. If you don't have him in your supercoach/dreamteam squad, get him now.

If he stays fit, Kent should become a serious force.

Maxy Gawn to end the year being rated in the top 3 ruck man in the competition.

Lumumba to make up for a disappointing 2015 and provide some (still) much needed run penetration off half back.

3 out of 4 ain't bad.

• Like 3

On 1/31/2016 at 9:48 PM, picket fence said:

JACK WATTS TO SHINE THIS YEAR!

Always remember "Fence Knows Footy"!

Postscript In 72 it was 

Parke, Dillon, Keenan, Alves, Wells, Ritterman, Clennet, Callery, and others et al!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2016 at 10:04 AM, AllMyTeamsAreWank said:

Watts will kick 30+ this year. Will have the attention taken off him and the delivery will be a lot better. He is one of the best set shots in the team and all he needs is his leads honoured. He will have a good year.

Our forward line hasn't been a good hunting ground for mid sized forward for a long time. You get the vibe with Hogan taking the best defender and Garlett taking the small defender, Watts will be able to play his natural game. I have never felt more positive about the bloke. 

Happy to see he's done even better than I predicted! Stick it up them Wattsy!

On 01/02/2016 at 0:12 AM, Pates said:

Salem. I was concerned with his injury issues last year, but his last game v GWS has me convinced. He's a bit of an unknown in the comp, by the end of 2016 he won't be.

I was wondering who I went for before I skimmed this thread. Damn!

Still reckon it's all there for him, he's just got a get his thyroid issue under control and get a clean run at it.

Edited by Pates
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Django said:

3 out of 4 ain't bad.

Nah you actually nailed it pretty well, just couldn't have predicted H getting his concussion issues.

Just had another read of my comment on here.  Feeling pretty good about things right now.  I was so happy on the weekend to see so many passes actually hitting targets rather than just bombing to the square.  I'm pretty sure I've made my opinion of that plan clear.  

On 01/02/2016 at 5:43 PM, RalphiusMaximus said:

I've said it before and I'll no doubt say it again, Watts' biggest problem is that his teammates never kick to him.  Part of this is his own doing because he can lead too early, especially inside the forward 50 which means that by the time they're ready to kick he's already had his run.  More of it is that our midfielders tend to be slow getting back from the mark, slow to make decisions and generally don't trust themselves to hit a leading target, preferring to bomb high and long to the square and hope someone else will do the hard work of making it into a goal.  When you go to the games rather than watch on TV, you see Watts make multiple leads into space, generally leaving his opponent for dead, and just get ignored.  You see the frustration as he keeps trying to create attacking opportunities and his teammates make the decision to bomb for the boundary and a throw-in instead.  If our midfield improves to the point where they are actually willing and able to hit his leads rather than taking the easy option, he will look like he belongs in an AFL team.  For his part, he needs to recognise the limitations of his teammates and do more to make the option obvious and easy for them.  This would include things like better timing and communication on his leading, perhaps even instructing exactly where he wants the ball to go (something Neitz did very well).  He also needs to improve his ability to hold marks under pressure so his teammates have faith that if they do stuff up the kick a little he'll still be able to contest for the ball. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2016 at 6:07 PM, binman said:

Yep i'm with you on this one.

I reckon if Kent can avoid injury he is a huge chance for a break out year, in the true sense of the phrase ie going from an average to amazing.

He does have a nice touch of aggro and confidence and  has real X factor. His kicking is also really dangerous, love that he is a lefty and has great penetration. His confidence means that he has a crack at goals when he has a chance, which i love. 

Slots nicely into a half forward flank and with the Trac on the other flank we will have a formidable duo who both have a bit of a strut about them. 

I wasn't far off this one, though it was a pretty easy get. 

My KPI for Jack was 30-35 goals and he has met that. Still want him to get his average disposal up to 20 per game. Incredibly not only did he easily get his 11 games he's a chance to play every game of the season. Signed a new contract as well.

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I went for Harmes

He hasn't been totally consistent but his good games have been great

i still think he will make a September side

Well, we're in trouble unless his disposal improves dramatically. Not saying it won't be he's in our top 5 worse disposers.

18 minutes ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

Well, we're in trouble unless his disposal improves dramatically. Not saying it won't be he's in our top 5 worse disposers.

The double fend off and pass to Kent came out pretty well. 

22 minutes ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

Harmes was originally a rookie, yes? There must have been reasons he didn't go in the main draft; his disposal may well have been one of them. Equally, there are reasons we upgraded him and he's been persisted with.

I really like players who improve year on year. This was what I first liked about Chunk - from about 2008 he has just seemed to improve 10-20% on his previous year. and even though he won't win the Bluey this year, I think he's playing better this year than in his Bluey-winning years, which just goes to show how much the rest of the team has improved.

Harmes shows every sign of being in a similar vein. If he really is in our top 5 worst disposers now, I bet he won't be by 2018.

Harmes is a genuine hard nut with white-line fever and good pace.  He can also take a pretty good mark.  These are the reasons he's in the side.  He is also capable of nailing a pretty good pass sometimes, but sadly it's very hit and miss with him.  He's holding his spot for now but sooner or later he's going to find himself in the Grimes boat if he doesn't fix it. 

• Like 3

Im impressed at how many people nailed their predictions.

Especially those that made seemingly outlandish claims about Gawn being an AA ruckman etc. Sure he showed glimpses but I wouldn't have predicted just how great he has become

4 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

Harmes is a genuine hard nut with white-line fever and good pace.  He can also take a pretty good mark.  These are the reasons he's in the side.  He is also capable of nailing a pretty good pass sometimes, but sadly it's very hit and miss with him.  He's holding his spot for now but sooner or later he's going to find himself in the Grimes boat if he doesn't fix it. 

Pretty much. Does some really nice things but hurts himself with bad disposal, and will struggle to hold his spot when we press for finals. Buggy is another, he is close to my favourite player but he needs to eliminate the clangers from his game if he wants to stay in the 22 next year and beyond.