WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CLAYTON OLIVER

Freddy Fuschia

are you saying this hasn't been demonstrated by Brayshaw, Salem, Hogan, Viney and Tyson? and to a lesser extent Harmes, Kent, Stretch and ANB?

I am saying how about you quote my entire post where I concluded by saying " in my years of supporting I am now a believer that the club is the best placed I have seen in terms of development coaching to get the most out of the kids we draft.".

Again - so it is clear - the inference in me being a believer is for exactly what I have seen from Brayshaw, Salem, Viney and Hogan ( I discard Tyson - not because I think he is not a pearler but because we had two years of exposed AFL form before we drafted him). And to me the litmus test will be the likes of Stretch, Harmes and ANB. They have shown glimpses ( as have many of our draft picks over the years) and I am now eager to have my belief justified by seeing them take the next step this upcoming season

We've been rebuilding for close to a decade!

Not so sure I would call what we have been doing 'rebuilding', up until a couple of years ago that is, What we did before then is more like stagnating, or even demolition, not sure any real building was actually ever done.

The Toumpas comparisons with Parish are silly. In 3 or 4 preseasons and I actually think Parish after beginning his career on a wing or back flank will end up like Nathan Jones, despite coming from a completely different body shape and skill set.

Our skipper is about 180cm, wins his share of ball at the contest, covers the ground and links up well and is an underrated kick on either foot.

3 or 4 preseasons from Clayton Oliver and he could be Luke Parker, even a Patty Dangerfield or a Jake Stringer (with a greater midfield v forward mix). I like the risk.

I feel sorry for you George.

Parish will end up being elite, something chunk will never reach.

I would only dream that Oliver would reach the dithering heights of Dangerman & Stringer.

Not so sure I would call what we have been doing 'rebuilding', up until a couple of years ago that is, What we did before then is more like stagnating, or even demolition, not sure any real building was actually ever done.

Think these guys had a hand in it

153mamr.jpg

• Like 2

I would only dream that Oliver would reach the dithering heights of Dangerman & Stringer.

Yep, I'll be surprised if Parish doesn't become a better footballer than Jones.

• Like 1

The thing I really love about Oliver is that after a couple of years in the system, he is going to run over players. Like literally run straight through them, he is a bull - as aggressive a draftee as I've seen. The fact that he goes for the ball at all costs means the opposition will have just 2 choices - get out of his road, or get stream rolled. I cannot wait to see the finished product of Clayton Oliver. The only comparison I can think of is Dangerfield.

• Like 2

yeah Oliver impressed in turning up at the combine in better shape, but geez, he only worked for two weeks leading up to it! you'd have thought his fitness/physique would've been a lot better when you think it was his big chance of getting drafted..

he's gonna get smashed in the cardio stuff pre-season.. def not building from the base petracca & brayshaw were at. no chance for round 1, although I'd like to see him there. he obviously needs to watch his weight/body type and the hope is that a professional competitive environment will instill that. imagine that puppy fat in a year's time! fingers crossed he'll be some kinda red headed midfield adonis, ripped within an inch of his life!

exciting times.

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 1

Nearly every AFL aligned VFL side has 10-12 AFL players.

That's a lot more than 2 at WAFL and SANFL

Yes Bandicoot I understand that as overall there are more teams in Victoria, but I am just making the point that some of those AFL players only have fitness over the VFL, SANFL & WAFL players.

Whilst I thinks it's great Oli performed well in the VFL the biggest plus for me is the fact he has realised very early the sacrifices required to make it at the next level.

Full time conditioning staff and dieticians has me looking at him with a great deal of anticipation

yeah Oliver impressed in turning up at the combine in better shape, but geez, he only worked for two weeks leading up to it! you'd have thought his fitness/physique would've been a lot better when you think it was his big chance of getting drafted..

he's gonna get smashed in the cardio stuff pre-season.. def not building from the base petracca & brayshaw were at. no chance for round 1, although I'd like to see him there. he obviously needs to watch his weight/body type and the hope is that a professional competitive environment will instill that. imagine that puppy fat in a year's time! fingers crossed he'll be some kinda red headed midfield adonis, ripped within an inch of his life!

exciting times.

Neither Brayshaw nor Petracca were that fit last year. Petracca certainly wasn't, he had more weight (mainly in muscle) than Oliver does and Brayshaw had done an ankle and had been off legs for a while after the end of his season.

I think it's well and truly time for us to stash some draftees and let them develop more in the VFL but it wouldn't shock me if we have a few injuries and Oliver sneaks in to a forward pocket.

Brayshaw wasn't meant to debut in round 1, they held him out of the NAB challege after a concussion but he was just too good for VFL footy.

• Like 3

We've been rebuilding for close to a decade!

It's best to forget anything that happened between 2007 and the end of 2013 besides the 2012 draft/trade period.

We've just had our 4th trade and draft period and will be entering our 3rd year of a proper rebuild.

We need to see results on field but it's way too early to panic in to try and pick every draft pick to fill holes.

• Like 1

I think the club will benefit having Oliver on our list. Having looked at his skin, under OH&S legislation the AFL will have to give us more night games or risk a claim for serious sunburn.

lol...love the lateral thinking there

edit

then again...maybe the AFL isnt that big on OH & S :unsure:

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 1

Put the ball in a pack and Tyson would be the extractor.

Agreed. Tyson reads the ball beautifully and he's just one of those players that the ball bounces for. He'll whip his left arm out and it will just fall perfectly in place.

Viney and Tyson complement each other.

Yes, Dom Tyson is a very good player.

Viney is the best inside midfielder at the club.

The thing I really love about Oliver is that after a couple of years in the system, he is going to run over players. Like literally run straight through them, he is a bull - as aggressive a draftee as I've seen. The fact that he goes for the ball at all costs means the opposition will have just 2 choices - get out of his road, or get stream rolled. I cannot wait to see the finished product of Clayton Oliver. The only comparison I can think of is Dangerfield.

The only problem with that is in a couple of years that will be a free kick against Clarry.

Dangerfield is a diver.

The only problem with that is in a couple of years that will be a free kick against Clarry.

Dangerfield is a diver.

Vince will have taken him out by then :)

I enjoyed reading the article about Oliver in the Hun today and the thing that really stood out was the McCartney factor. It really strikes me as being the perfect development coach for the perfect country footballer. Brendan has done some incredible things with young players at Footscray, it's exciting to see what's going to come of this.

Yes, Dom Tyson is a very good player.

Viney is the best inside midfielder at the club.

As 'ProDee' says they compliment each other.

Viney is great at hitting up the packs and oppo players but Tyson is the extractor and smarter around the clearances, I think many underestimate his strength in a contest.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for you George.

you are comparing a three times b&f to a small kid that has not played against men, a bit early only a fool would say that.

Yep, I'll be surprised if Parish doesn't become a better footballer than Jones.

read reply above.

Needs to fix that up big time...

It was definitely awkward (looked like Gabo's run in keeping with the old school Pies theme) but it was effective. He didn't look like losing control/possession and it came straight back to him. Like Hogan's run up if it works, no need to tinker despite how awkward it looks.

For me, what stood out in his highlight package was the absence of defensive work. He looks like Jordie's Bizzarro World counterpart.