• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Radio and football racists

Soidee

Its tough for you PC types when reality doesn't fit the narrative isn't it

It's easy to dismiss those who raise the possible racist issue with a simple "PC types", but the fact is that in Goodes' case it is more than just an issue relating to people not liking the guy for his onfield demeanour.

Sure people can raise the booing of Lamumba by Collingwood supporters, or of Betts by Carlton supporters, but could those people who use that as some kind of justification for the booing of Goodes' tell me what AFL club he left to join the Swans? And can you name one other player who gets so vigourously booed by supporters from ALL clubs barring his own club? Not even Selwood, Harvey, Martin etc come in for a fraction of that level of abuse.

• Like 1

I was at the Hawthorn/Sydney game up in Sydney the other week. To hear a whole segment of the crowd booing in full voice when nothing particularly interesting was happening (I actually asked "Huh, what did I miss? An interchange penalty?")... it was chilling. It was really chilling. And then it just kept happening all game.

Stephen Milne wasn't booed this much, whether for being a general pest or while pending a court appearance over an alleged rape of a teenager. Jason Akermanis never got booed this much, despite being a full time [censored]. Spider Everitt wasn't booed this much even while in the act of grinding his forearm into Simon Godfrey's throat. James bloody Hird hasn't been booed even close to this much, not even by Essendon fans.

The core group pushing the booing of Goodes is, unambiguously, racist. Whatever you're personal feelings about any other merits or flaws of his, it's time to just say "Nup, I can't be in on this."

If you like, you can take a moment to get angry at the racist mob who have taken the fun out of booing a player you don't like. This is how racism makes absolutely everything worse for absolutely everyone.

• Like 9

I was at the Hawthorn/Sydney game up in Sydney the other week. To hear a whole segment of the crowd booing in full voice when nothing particularly interesting was happening (I actually asked "Huh, what did I miss? An interchange penalty?")... it was chilling. It was really chilling. And then it just kept happening all game.

Stephen Milne wasn't booed this much, whether for being a general pest or while pending a court appearance over an alleged rape of a teenager. Jason Akermanis never got booed this much, despite being a full time [censored]. Spider Everitt wasn't booed this much even while in the act of grinding his forearm into Simon Godfrey's throat. James bloody Hird hasn't been booed even close to this much, not even by Essendon fans.

The core group pushing the booing of Goodes is, unambiguously, racist. Whatever you're personal feelings about any other merits or flaws of his, it's time to just say "Nup, I can't be in on this."

If you like, you can take a moment to get angry at the racist mob who have taken the fun out of booing a player you don't like. This is how racism makes absolutely everything worse for absolutely everyone.

A more balanced view than the "if you boo Goodes you're a racist" narrative. No one here I believe would agree the racist boos are good but we all need to push back on this shift towards others telling us who we can and can't boo.

• Like 1

The booing is cringeworthy.

The AFL have asked it to stop as have the coaches, the players and the AFLPA.

That should be enough for someone with half a clue.

It's like those knobs who used to whistle at the tennis when the ball hit the line, year after year after year- cringeworthy.

• Like 3

By Gil coming out and lecturing people, I think those who are disenchanted with Gil - and the state of the game atm (which is deplorable), all those angry at lop sided equalisation, basically anyone already pessimistic about the AFL, unfortunately I think many more will start booing Goodes - just in spite of Gil.

So I don't see this ending well for either Gil or Goodes.

• Like 3

For the most part I agree, but unless someone can provide proof that that is the motivation for all people who boo him then they are making unfair assumptions about a lot of people.

By joining a mob started by racists are you not empowering them and endorsing their views?

By Gil coming out and lecturing people, I think those who are disenchanted with Gil - and the state of the game atm (which is deplorable), all those angry at lop sided equalisation, basically anyone already pessimistic about the AFL, unfortunately I think many more will start booing Goodes - just in spite of Gil.

So I don't see this ending well for either Gil or Goodes.

Gil should have kept his mouth shut, nobody likes him and the whole thing will backfire. Polo playing [censored].

• Like 2

By joining a mob started by racists are you not empowering them and endorsing their views?

Because you believe you're taking the morale high ground you believe that everything you say is correct Chris.

Where's your proof the booing was started by racists? You're beginning to do yourself a disservice.

• Like 3

There have been tools playing this game for a long time that occasionally get booed.

Players who dive or play for free kicks sometimes get booed for a short period.

There are players who have transgressed (ie KO's someone) that get booed for that match and maybe future matches against the same team.

This is on a whole new level though and there is definitely a "racial" undertone to it. The racial incident with the girl. The awarding of Aust. of the Year (which btw you can't award yourself, other people have to do that). And I think a real big part of it is the fact he became more than a really good indigenous footy player, of which we have heaps. He used his fame from footy to speak out on indigenous issues which make so many European Australians very uncomfortable. That is how this started I believe.

Any now it will continue because people are often sheep and bullies. People know it upsets him, have been told not to, therefore it will continue and probably increase.

The only way it will stop is if those who think is is childish, boorish behavior drown out the boo's with cheers.

• Like 1

Again, that's a big assumption to make about a group of people because as I have proved Goodes has been booed before 2013.

Ans as I have answered, the booing before was the same as anyone else on the field gets. It intensified markedly on two occasions, once with the young girl, and once when he was named Aus of the year. Why did this happen?

• Like 1

Because you believe you're taking the morale high ground you believe that everything you say is correct Chris.

Where's your proof the booing was started by racists? You're beginning to do yourself a disservice.

Come up with an answer to my question and I may change my mind. Why did the intense booing, across the league not start until he started taking a stand against racism, namely with teh young girl and when he became Aus of the year? If you can think of any other answer than it was linked to his stance on racist issues then you are doing a hell of a lot better than me.

• Like 1

Ans as I have answered, the booing before was the same as anyone else on the field gets. It intensified markedly on two occasions, once with the young girl, and once when he was named Aus of the year. Why did this happen?

I don't know and neither do you, unless you ask every single person who does and they are 100% honest with you.

That's my point, you are making assumptions about a large group of people which as akin to other forms of discrimination.

• Like 1

Again, that's a big assumption to make about a group of people because as I have proved Goodes has been booed before 2013.

Proven how? Unequivocally proven?

One thing that this has shown though is the strength of character that Adam Goodes must possess. To go out just wanting to play the game that he obviously loves and to put up with the constant (and ever increasing) booing, the impact this is obviously having on his family as well as himself and the impact it no doubt is having on his team mates. If only we had players with that strength of character let alone the skill set he possesses.

There have been tools playing this game for a long time that occasionally get booed.

Players who dive or play for free kicks sometimes get booed for a short period.

There are players who have transgressed (ie KO's someone) that get booed for that match and maybe future matches against the same team.

This is on a whole new level though and there is definitely a "racial" undertone to it. The racial incident with the girl. The awarding of Aust. of the Year (which btw you can't award yourself, other people have to do that). And I think a real big part of it is the fact he became more than a really good indigenous footy player, of which we have heaps. He used his fame from footy to speak out on indigenous issues which make so many European Australians very uncomfortable. That is how this started I believe.

Any now it will continue because people are often sheep and bullies. People know it upsets him, have been told not to, therefore it will continue and probably increase.

The only way it will stop is if those who think is is childish, boorish behavior drown out the boo's with cheers.

I am actually thinking about going to the next swans Game in Melbourne to do just that.

I don't know and neither do you, unless you ask every single person who does and they are 100% honest with you.

That's my point, you are making assumptions about a large group of people which as akin to other forms of discrimination.

Not really Clint, it is simple cause and effect. Unless you can show a different cause then the cause is as clear as day for those who wish to see it.

There is obviously no undeniable proof, but the fact that the booing only really took off in the wake of his being named Australian of the Year has to make you think there is an element of racism involved.

I always wonder when people assume white australians feel uncomfortable about the aboriginal issue? i can't figure out why we are supposed to feel uncomfortable? aboriginal affairs is one of many issues in society that needs to be tackled but someone speaking out about it isn't going to make us uncomfortable. thats assumed white guilt but it doesn't really make sense. what happened 200 years ago was terrible but its happened for eternity and we weren't there. There are current issues as well but i don't feel 'uncomfortable'. that would be a sign of guilt and i have none of that. I don't have pity either as that would be condescending.

See the video link I posted earlier, Goodes is being booed in 2010.

For the entire game and for every game that season? I will check out the link in an effort to get those questions answered.

Come up with an answer to my question and I may change my mind. Why did the intense booing, across the league not start until he started taking a stand against racism, namely with teh young girl and when he became Aus of the year? If you can think of any other answer than it was linked to his stance on racist issues then you are doing a hell of a lot better than me.

The stance he took in those two occasions is definitely related to it but if he was a solid citizen on the field the booing wouldn't have happened i believe. If fans liked the guy to begin with it would be 'look at this guy, he makes sense". instead it was more like ' that 'd8ckhead goodes is going on again'. peoples perception of him as a person is muddied by his on field exploits. So i agree the girl incident is likely one cause but its the fact he acts a prat is why some have pushed back against him.

If eddie betts got up tomorrow and started speaking out I'm almost positive he wouldn't get the same attention. goodes is a PR managers nightmare.

Well this is the crux of our arguments and I vehemently disagree with this "cause and effect" assumption.

What is the possible other cause? If you can find one then great, I certainly can't.

I'll concede that it got worse after he publicly humiliated a 13 year old girl.

• Like 1