Casey Scorpions v Coburg

KC from Casey

was it definitely his hand? I thought he looked pretty groggy when he came off. Thought he had the wind knocked out of him at first but looked a bit rattled up stairs from what I saw.

Definitely concussion

It's far easier for top sides to allow their young talent to develop in the 2nds. When lowly clubs are constantly losing, they get howled down by all and sundry when they play blokes that have been in the system for 4-5 years without showing much, ahead of kids with potential. If a kid at Casey shows that he may have more to offer long term than someone else in the team, then he needs to be given an opportunity. That's not to say that you burn him out if he's physically undeveloped.

As for King, it's very rare for an unheralded tall forward to become a good stay at home key forward at AFL level. From the little I've seen of King, he looks like a footballer first, athlete second, which is a good sign. He's one who I would keep at Casey for a couple of more years to physically develop into hopefully a forward/2nd ruckman.

I've been thinking about this too. The best forwards in the last decade have been top picks or father sons. Anyone have an example of one from later in the draft - or will we call it the King Exception?

I've been thinking about this too. The best forwards in the last decade have been top picks or father sons. Anyone have an example of one from later in the draft - or will we call it the King Exception?

Not sure about any of the 'best' but Jenkins was a rookie draft pick I think

Kicked 40 last year so would be good to see King follow a similar trajectory

Listen buddy, I sorta thought I liked him first, and might have posted about it at one stage, so you need to defer to me and my expertise before you comment on King.

I see a lot of Wayne Carey in this kid...

So, should the teammates lock up their wives? :-((

Or do you mean a freakish arrogant talented forward who will have a huge impact on a generation of footy fans??

maybe he didn't do things that were EXpected, of him. his instructions, would tell the story there.

Yeah, OK, assuming that his instructions were to not under any circumstances kick goals.

I cannot believe that neither daily (nor KC from Casey) had King in their best players. Has he got to kick ten goals to be noticed?

Yeah, OK, assuming that his instructions were to not under any circumstances kick goals.

Who are we talking about here?

Maybe King?

King. It was a poor attempt at humour.

Followed another poster suggesting that his not being named in the best might have been because he didn't follow instructions.

I was trying to guess what the instructions could have been that he didn't follow.

Sorry.

I cannot believe that neither daily (nor KC from Casey) had King in their best players. Has he got to kick ten goals to be noticed?

I was at the game and personaly i would of had him in my top half dozen for Casey at least. Thought Morris, Harmes, Hutchins and Bail were best and would probably been a flip of the coin as to who to name next between King, White & Jamar.

As i mentioned earlier i'm amazed Newton was named in the best and although Matt Jones got a bit of the ball, i didn't think he had much of an impact.

I was at the game and personaly i would of had him in my top half dozen for Casey at least. Thought Morris, Harmes, Hutchins and Bail were best and would probably been a flip of the coin as to who to name next between King, White & Jamar.

As i mentioned earlier i'm amazed Newton was named in the best and although Matt Jones got a bit of the ball, i didn't think he had much of an impact.

Judging from your comments and those of KC during the season, it seems that King, Harmes and White are all pushing for elevation to join Vanders as replacement for Petracca/Trengrove who are both on the LTI List. Who would you suggest (and why) based on MFC's needs?

Judging from your comments and those of KC during the season, it seems that King, Harmes and White are all pushing for elevation to join Vanders as replacement for Petracca/Trengrove who are both on the LTI List. Who would you suggest (and why) based on MFC's needs?

I've seen Casey for the last two weeks. If we were to upgrade another rookie, there is no doubt it would be Harmes.

From a personal point of view I'd of thought it'd be Harmes, but that's just me.

Main thing we lack is midfield depth as well as run & spread. This is something that Harmes has an ability to bring. In weeks previously with Neal-Bullen, Michie, Riley, McKenzie etc in Casey's team, Harmes was more often then not playing half forward or wing and not getting much time in the middle. His form in those positions was quite solid without being spectacular, however he's one of those players that even though he may only get 15 touches in those positions, he stands out. Case in point was our game against Richmond VFL on a Saturday Night, where he only had 14 or 15 touches, but got some really vital ones in the final term, putting the ball inside 50.

The weekend gone was his first real chance to play pure inside and he had close to 30 touches, while doing a number on Uysal from Coburg who is one of their best players. His pace is very good and he's also strong overhead. So he's a player who's shown an ability to play inside & out while also at half forward, has an ability to hit the score board also. Think he's kicked maybe about 5 goals this year including 2 v Essendon.

King could be everything we're looking for, however he's certainly a work in progress. Not long ago I thought he'd be gone at seasons end, so he's certainly shown me up. That forward/ruck role in a really important slot, and he's showing a potential to be the man to fill that role for us, but we shouldn't try and fast track him as he's coming from a long way back from a development point of view. He also had a bad injury last year, so giving him that 3rd year on the rookie list is no harm.

Then there's Mitch White who plays another vital role we need filling as a half back with a beautiful left foot penetrating kick. Like Harmes, he seems strong overhead and although he has an awkward running style, his pace seems ok as he's normally playing on one of the opposition's small forwards. From memory he would often play on talls in the TAC Cup with Stingrays, so he could become a real valuable versatile defender. Given it's his first year this year though, I'd expect he'll get a 2nd year on the list like Harmes & King did last year.

So yeah coming into this years draft which is pretty weak, it wouldn't suprise me to see us only take maybe 2 live picks in while upgrading Vandenberg & one other. In my opinion that other would be Harmes, however depending on who we get in through trades/free agency it may be more appropriate to upgrade one of the others.

So the good news is for the first time ever in my memory, I think all of the rookies on our rookie list could become good players for us. But there's still a lot of water to pass under the bridge yet.

Edited by AngryAtCasey
  • Like 8

I should have the stats tomorrow or Monday.

Stay posted.

Statistics

Rohan Bail 1 goal 1 behind 34 disposals 26 kicks 8 handballs 14 marks 7 tackles 173 dream team points

Chris Dawes 1 goal 10 disposals 5 kicks 5 handballs 3 marks 4 tackles 57 dream team points

James Harmes 1 behind 31 disposals 15 kicks 16 handballs 5 tackles 101 dream team points

Mark Jamar 2 behinds 17 disposals 14 kicks 3 handballs 7 marks 2 tackles 29 hit outs 96 dream team points

Matt Jones 1 behind 36 disposals 20 kicks 16 handballs 13 marks 7 tackles 157 dream team points

Max King 5 goals 9 disposals 7 kicks 2 handballs 4 marks 6 tackles 91 dream team points

Oscar McDonald 1 behind 18 disposals 13 kicks 5 handballs 10 marks 81 dream team points

Jordie McKenzie 1 goal 10 disposals 7 kicks 3 handballs 5 marks 48 dream team points

Ben Newton 1 goal 10 disposals 7 kicks 3 handballs 3 marks 4 tackles 56 dream team points

Jake Spencer 2 goals 1 behind 15 disposals 8 kicks 7 handballs 6 marks 4 tackles 31 hit outs 113 dream team points

Mitch White 15 disposals 12 kicks 3 handballs 8 marks 1 tackle 71 dream team points

• Like 5

Jones and Bail. Going to be very useful players for someone, especially at this level.

If only they could bring half of that to the seniors on a regular basis ...

Surely that is our problem bing.

They are VFL players

who cannot do it at the higher level.

Some really encouraging signs from our youngsters vs Coburg. I have the impression that Justin Plapp is not heavy handed with the sugar coating, and the progress of King, Harmes and White seem very much on the right trajectory. They seem to be thriving under his coaching and the work of the Development Coaches. For me it puts a hint of 'sunshine' on what was otherwise a mostly 'overcast' weekend.

VFL player review: round nine

• Like 2

Some really encouraging signs from our youngsters vs Coburg. I have the impression that Justin Plapp is not heavy handed with the sugar coating, and the progress of King, Harmes and White seem very much on the right trajectory. They seem to be thriving under his coaching and the work of the Development Coaches. For me it puts a hint of 'sunshine' on what was otherwise a mostly 'overcast' weekend.

VFL player review: round nine

Sounds like Bail is going down to the cattery.

Sounds like Bail is going down to the cattery

Perception of players performances is a funny thing isnt it?

Last week I watch ANB have 35, and everyone was frothing at the mouth at his performance (myself included).

This week Bail has 34 and a goal, and barely a whisper about how well he played & that he should be in next week.

He's one that is clearly a notch above VFL, as his pace gives him an edge, but doesnt have the application at senior level.

We've had a knack for having quite a few of these guys, Valenti, Magner,Nicholson, Couch, etc etc.

Jordie and Terlich also marking time it seems, one or both will be delisted, and if White keeps up his development could be a 'like' replacement upgrade.

The prospect of a few Rookie upgrades is a tick for players , the recruiting team and development coaches. Whether events get to the next stage of ultimately producing handy AFL players, who knows, but another step in the right direction it would seem.

Kurt Tippett was pick 32 I think.

Fev was 38.

Tex Walker was about pick 75

Matthew Lloyd was taken in the preseason draft

And then there's Liam Jurrah............

Edited by Moonshadow